Signings 2020 Class

Thank you all. I am wondering when they going to get an interior 6' 4" - 6' 5" player. The Gophers need tall guards too.

I know Daja Woodard is committed but not yet signed; but with the season winding down we are running low on news regarding players who will be arriving this summer.

Any way this is probably not good: Woodard was ejected in a loss to EMCC; although she didn't start, Woodard played in the next game when Jones College defeated Northwest Mississippi 90-64. The win advances Jones College to the NJCAA national tournament.

Woodard averages 22.4 minutes/game, 9.3 points and 8.9 rebounds. She's a .588 free throw shooter.

The game versus Northwest Mississippi:

Would an ejection from a game be a reason to not consider Woodward??

It wouldn't bother me as long as she is a good teammate and listens to her coaches. You would have to check this out, of course.

I forgot to complete Woodward's season. I didn't know what emphasis to put on the ejection. That Woodward wasn't suspended for a game probably is a good sign.

JACKSON – With the 2019-20 women's basketball season now complete, the Mississippi Association of Community and Junior Colleges (MACJC) recently released its list of all-conference players, and a league-best four Bobcats made the cut.

Keyara Jones and Daja Woodard earned first team selections, while Destiny Haymer and LaMiracle Sims represented JC on the all-conference second team.

Jones finished the season ranked 10th in the NJCAA, 24-4 overall and as Region 23 champions for a fourth-straight year. The Bobcats drew a No. 8 national seed in the NJCAA Tournament in Lubbock, Texas, before the event was canceled due to a nationwide pandemic.

An Alabama signee and the team's leading scorer all season, Jones averaged 13.1 points per game, scoring in double figures in 22 of 27 contests. She added 2.8 rebounds, 1.8 assists and 1.2 steals a game and shot a team-high 82 percent from the free throw line.

Woodard, a Minnesota commit, averaged 9.3 points and 8.9 rebounds per game with eight double-doubles on the year. She added 56 blocks, second-most in the MACJC, 25 steals and 18 assists.

So there are some interesting grad transfers in the portal right now. Would it be better to
have a grad transfer or a new high school commit?

So there are some interesting grad transfers in the portal right now. Would it be better to
have a grad transfer or a new high school commit?
To me, it would depend on how many of the current players stick around. If a lot of them depart, then I want new HS commits to replace them. If they stick around, then I say take a grad transfer that can play a role around them.

Not sure if these rankings have been revised? Anyway, the Gophers with two in the top 100, Smith and Hedman

Smith and Hedman were rated before however Smith was brought to a 4-Star recruit down from a 5-star previously.

Alexia Smith is now #68 down from #46 previously and Erin Hedman is now #94 down from #75 previously. Both are 4-stars now.

It's official.

Minnesota women's basketball head coach Lindsay Whalen announced Wednesday the addition of Kayla Mershon to the Gophers program. Mershon (MERR-shawn) is a 6'3 forward from Minnetonka, Minn., who spent her first two seasons at the University of Nebraska.

Mershon played in all 60 games with 15 starts in her two seasons with the Huskers. She averaged 2.4 points and 2.8 rebounds in 14.6 minutes of action per contest while shooting 35.8 percent from the floor and 30.0 percent on 3-pointers .
Mershon becomes the second transfer to the Golden Gopher program after Laura Bagwell Katalinich was added last month. The duo joins a three-member freshman class that is scheduled to be on campus this fall.

The Sun Sailor on Kayla Mershon:

Gopher head coach Lindsay Whalen announced Mershon’s decision to transfer on April 15.

Mershon is excited to play home games at Williams Arena, where she won a state Class 4A title with Minnetonka in 2016. “Growing up, I watched the Gophers play there,” she said. “The chance to play every home game there is mind-blowing for me.”

Looking at Whalen’s background, Mershon is confident she can fit into the Gopher coach’s program.

“It is a huge honor to play for coach Whalen,” Mershon said. “She has seen my effort, and I think she knows that I will be bringing it every day.”

As a transfer student, Mershon isn’t sure if she will be eligible right away. That’s up to Big Ten and NCAA officials. The worst-case scenario is that she will be eligible for the beginning of the 2021-22 season.

Mershon, who stands 6-3, received a full-ride scholarship from Nebraska out of high school.

“I liked playing in the Big Ten ... there are so many great athletes,” Mershon said. “The biggest difference between high school basketball is strength. Time in the weight room has made a lot of difference for me.”

Got some nice additions. Can't wait to see the team come together. #OurTime. Let's Go, Gophers!!

Top Bottom