Sid: Weight room standouts: Bennett, Delaney, Jacobs, Hageman

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Sid:

"Eric Klein, the outstanding weight coach who new Gophers football coach Jerry Kill brought with him to Minnesota, reports the standouts in the weight room, where the players lift almost every day even in the summer, are running back Duane Bennett with 405 pounds in the bench press, defensive lineman Curran Delaney with 635 pounds in the squat and defensive ends Anthony Jacobs and Ra'Shede Hageman with 550 pounds in the hang clean."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/125119454.html?page=2&c=y

Go Gophers!!

I keep forgetting about Delaney, he could be a beast this year. I wish the most success upon that young man.

Yep, Delaney would be an easy guy to root for no matter what team he was on!

I am pumped to see Hageman this year. He had flashes of dominance in the spring when he looked like a future NFL Dlineman (when he stays low and fires out of his stance, he is dominating) but it was still mixed in with moments of inconsistancy. I really think the aggresive schemes put in by our new defense are going to really help Hageman. I hope he has all of his academic issues behind him and he has a big year developing as a backup DL.

If he keeps his academic issues in line, is consistantly doing the right things and lives up to his full potential, I think he is the most gifted member of the football team.

Yep, Delaney would be an easy guy to root for no matter what team he was on!

I am pumped to see Hageman this year. He had flashes of dominance in the spring when he looked like a future NFL Dlineman (when he stays low and fires out of his stance, he is dominating) but it was still mixed in with moments of inconsistancy. I really think the aggresive schemes put in by our new defense are going to really help Hageman. I hope he has all of his academic issues behind him and he has a big year developing as a backup DL.

If he keeps his academic issues in line, is consistantly doing the right things and lives up to his full potential, I think he is the most gifted member of the football team.

You and I must have seen the same practices, because that is exactly how I saw it. He mentioned in the spring something to the effect that this was the first time he really has been clear he needed to stay low. I would guess at 6'6", that takes some effort. I think his biggest problem is just not being at one position long enough to master it. The times he really fired out and stayed low he did not get blocked well at all, he was really quick for a guy that big. I was surprised. I think this is another guy who will play about as fast as he is confident in what he is supposed to do, same with Beal.

I always chuckle at Sid's homerisms. How could he possibly know if the weight coach is "outstanding?" The Gophers haven't even played a single game under his watch.

I always chuckle at Sid's homerisms. How could he possibly know if the weight coach is "outstanding?" The Gophers haven't even played a single game under his watch.

So true. He could easily use "longtime," "experienced," or "whom coach Kill believes is one of the finest in the country," or even point out the numbers to suggest that he is doing an outstanding job so far, but instead he just skips these preferred journalistic tactics and takes it upon himself to rate the level of his coaching abilities. Ridiculous.

Being older than most here, I've been chuckling at Sid for a long time. That said, Klein is supposedly a real up-and-comer in the conditioning/weight training world.

Hageman's problem probably stems from the fact that he was usually the best player by far on the fields on which he played growing up, so technique was never an issue. The athleticism is there. Schooled correctly, he could be a beast.

405 is an outstanding benchpress for a RB - but you'd like to have an OL with the best bench on the team and somewhere around 450 would be better.

635 squat? Unless he's wearing a full suit and knee wraps, I don't think so. Sounds about 100 pounds too heavy for a raw squat.

550 hang clean?!? No offense, but bull****. That's about 150-200 pounds too heavy. Now if it was actually a deadlift - that's realistic and that would be the type of mistake we've come to expect from Sid.

The article didn't say 405 was the best bench for the entire team. I would think it was highlighted because Bennett is a 5' 9" 210 lb Rb. I would think there are other players/OL who can bench more than that.

635 is possible without knee wraps and a body suit. I'm 5'5'' 175 and have a 1 rep max of 560 and I definitely do not have all the amenities that these athletes have at their disposal; It all depends on proper training and technique.

405 is an outstanding benchpress for a RB - but you'd like to have an OL with the best bench on the team and somewhere around 450 would be better.

635 squat? Unless he's wearing a full suit and knee wraps, I don't think so. Sounds about 100 pounds too heavy for a raw squat.

550 hang clean?!? No offense, but bull****. That's about 150-200 pounds too heavy. Now if it was actually a deadlift - that's realistic and that would be the type of mistake we've come to expect from Sid.

I didn't take it like that, though you may be right. These 5 are standouts not team bests, I dunno, I'd hope an Olineman has bennett beat, but 405 is alot of power for a stiffarm.

635 isn't out of the question, knee wraps maybe but I've seen high schoolers in the 500's, I'd bet the technique isn't a true squat, probably a 3/4.

550 hang clean confuses me, it's not a power clean from the floor I know that, but possibly from blocks? That would eliminate the strain of the initial deadlift and allow for a shorter hip pop into the racking position, which from there is basically a front squat.

Hopefully the young linemen are improving their functional strength, alot of underclassmen will be counted on in the trenches for us this season. Guys like Gjere, T. Olson, Legainia, Hageman, KGM, Garin, etc

I love GH, I love this thread

635 is possible without knee wraps and a body suit. I'm 5'5'' 175 and have a 1 rep max of 560 and I definitely do not have all the amenities that these athletes have at their disposal; It all depends on proper training and technique.

I didn't take it like that, though you may be right. These 5 are standouts not team bests, I dunno, I'd hope an Olineman has bennett beat, but 405 is alot of power for a stiffarm.

635 isn't out of the question, knee wraps maybe but I've seen high schoolers in the 500's, I'd bet the technique isn't a true squat, probably a 3/4.

550 hang clean confuses me, it's not a power clean from the floor I know that, but possibly from blocks? That would eliminate the strain of the initial deadlift and allow for a shorter hip pop into the racking position, which from there is basically a front squat.

Hopefully the young linemen are improving their functional strength, alot of underclassmen will be counted on in the trenches for us this season. Guys like Gjere, T. Olson, Legainia, Hageman, KGM, Garin, etc

We even have weightlifting nerds. I love it! More "power" to ya! Go Gophers!

how many cases of beer does 405 lbs weigh

We even have weightlifting nerds. I love it! More "power" to ya! Go Gophers!

I need these weights in real terms, how many cases of beer does 405 pounds weigh or how many kegs? Otherwise may as well be speaking French to us non-weight lifters

I need these weights in real terms, how many cases of beer does 405 pounds weigh or how many kegs? Otherwise may as well be speaking French to us non-weight lifters

About 22.5 cases of beer (with beer being around 18 lbs per case).

Those weight lifting totals are realistic. I'm not a expert, but workout a bit and think those totals are not BS. They have to still translate on to the field though. I would assume most of the o-lineman can bench over 400, besides a freshman or maybe a sophmore. But I guess I could be wrong. You still have to have the technique on the field or you could bench 500 and it would not matter, otherwise football would be a bunch of powerlifters.

A raw squat over the mid 500's would impress me. I do believe it's possible for a high schooler to raw squat in the 500's, but then he would not expect to improve much throughout college. Maybe up to mid 500's.

Simple fact is that the human body has certain limitations that can only be overcome with mechanical support (suit, knee wraps, etc.). The taller you are the harder it is.

Yes I know hang clean is easier than a full clean, but you still have to front squat the weight up. No human being in the world is going to jerk 550 pounds 20 inches from hips up to shoulders. You have to get down and catch the bar, then front squat it up. Just don't see it happening at that kind of weight.

I really do think it was a deadlift and Sid just doesn't have a clue what he's talking about. 550 deadlift would be a nice lift.

Seriously though - can't you see Sid on the phone "aaaaahhh...what was that? 5000 pounds?! Good golly that a tree!" Then his editor comes in: "Sid, you're talking into a banana again..."

I have lifted weights for the better part of 16 years, played football in college where we worked out everyday and I have no trouble believing an unaided (I haven't a clue what a suit is, vaguely no what knee wraps are) 600+ pounds squat. Tapeh did 635 as a junior and he was hurt for large portions of his first few years at the U. There were a couple others that were over 600 as well.

Highest hang cleans were in the mid-400's, so while 550 does seem to be on the high end, I wouldn't say it's impossible. Above average bench max would have been mid-400's with a few guys over 500.

While Sid can get things mixed up from time to time (okay more often than that), these numbers aren't outside the realm of possibility.

I have lifted weights for the better part of 16 years, played football in college where we worked out everyday and I have no trouble believing an unaided (I haven't a clue what a suit is, vaguely no what knee wraps are) 600+ pounds squat. Tapeh did 635 as a junior and he was hurt for large portions of his first few years at the U. There were a couple others that were over 600 as well.

Highest hang cleans were in the mid-400's, so while 550 does seem to be on the high end, I wouldn't say it's impossible. Above average bench max would have been mid-400's with a few guys over 500.

While Sid can get things mixed up from time to time (okay more often than that), these numbers aren't outside the realm of possibility.

Yeah, I don't know much about weight lifting (to this extent) and I would also have no trouble believing that Sid could have gotten things completely wrong. However, just from following football and looking at pro and drafted players listed totals...these numbers didn't seem too far off (especially the bench and the squat).

I remember hearing some crazy stories about guys like Casey Hampton and other massive NFL lineman.

But like I said, I don't know, and this debate is pretty interesting to me...

There's no way anybody hang cleaned or power cleaned 550. Has to be deadlift.

I totally believe the 600+ squat. I've seen a guy squat 585 at a d2 school.

Like others said, I'll bet someone (maybe a linebacker or a lineman) benched more than Bennett, but that's really impressive for a RB.

While it has been a few years, I can't recall doing the dead lift during college. That's not to say Klein doesn't use it but we had 2 completely different strength coaches and I know for sure we didn't max on it, if we did it at all.

Google searched world record hang clean and it came back with 586 on chacha, so something isn't right with that total. From what I have seen and can recall, a person can typically hang clean more weight than power clean.

Maybe it will be in DL's update from the Sports Huddle on Sunday, although Kill might not know too much about the specifics.

Just for reference the all time records at Nebraska in the squat is held by Keven Lightener at 756. The hang and clean by Kevin Coleman at 461.

I am betting it is a true squat. I used to work out at the gym at SMSU when the football team was doing it's testing to see where the players were and they put a string across the rack where their thighs were paralel to the floor and a squat would not count unless their butt touched that string. Back then I was 5'9" 140-145 and squated 335 for 14 reps. With the serious training and extra size these guys have I don't think 636 is overly high.

Well I'm not coach Klein and I'm not a weight lifting expert. But I will maintain that, sans video evidence to the contrary, no college football player is going to lift more than mid 500s on squat raw (that means he's wearing nothing more than a belt) or more than mid 400s on hang clean raw.

Is it impossible, no. But I need video.

And it's certainly not worth getting into a big argument about ether. Being strong in the weight room is great - but unless you can transfer that to the field, it's worthless.

A couple of things...
1) -"power" clean only reflects that the bar can be caught as high as you want and then stand
- a full clean, or just "clean" means that you need to catch the bar at parallel or catch and
then drop to parallel before standing with the bar
- "hang" clean means that you are starting from the hang position

Many people confuse the term "power clean" as to mean that the bar was pulled from the floor.

2) Even though the article said hang clean, I am sure they were performing "hang power cleans," to be technical as shown in the video below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jU39Cp0CNFw

The squat is definitely possible. I played at RCTC a few years back and a lot of guys were well over 500 in the squat, to parallel.

On a side note, I remembered this from his recruitment and people were talking about deadlifting, hopefully he can show this strength on the field at some point..I know its not a straight bar but definitely a strong kid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKVW1anyOek

These are athletic 300 lb men that we are talking about here. These aren't fat slobs that just showed up one day after not moving from in front of their TV screen for 3 years.

The numbers in question for the squat are barely twice their body weight and its less than twice their body weight for the hang clean.

I mean Duane Bennett is damn near benching twice his body weight. If I had to guess that would put some of the big boys damn close to 500. Based off that, I have no doubt these numbers are legit.

The numbers are all relative and when you are as big as Hageman and Delaney the specified numbers aren't out of reach.

The hang clean is in no way possible. As mentioned, the all-time record for football players at Nebraska, the team that basically invented weightlifting for football, is almost 100 lbs. less than what is mentioned in this article. It simply is inaccurate, whether as to the weight lifted or the lift used.

The others are more than plausible.

The squat is definitely possible. I played at RCTC a few years back and a lot of guys were well over 500 in the squat, to parallel.

On a side note, I remembered this from his recruitment and people were talking about deadlifting, hopefully he can show this strength on the field at some point..I know its not a straight bar but definitely a strong kid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKVW1anyOek

ah....coach laplante

Did you hear he is leaving to go to some Texas high school?

My favorite all-time Sid was a few days before the firing of brewster he was just yelling on his sunday morning show:

DON'T FIRE BREWSTER

DON'T FIRE BREWSTER

it was beyond laughable......i felt sorry for the poor fella

Top Bottom