Sid: Gophers have 12,000 tickets available for the season opener Sept. 3 against TCU

BleedGopher

Reaction score

This is false. Gopherlady said in another thread that there are 5000 left and her source is the gopher ticket office so I'll take that over Sid.

This is false. Gopherlady said in another thread that there are 5000 left and her source is the gopher ticket office so I'll take that over Sid.
That is what is called a no brainer - Gopherlady over Sid!

I wonder how visitor seats are factored in. Does the U consider those seats "sold" even though they may be returned if TCU doesn't sell them?

Yep. Conclusively false. Sid pulled it out of the blue to get a rise out of gopherhole, as usual. There is no possible way that some ticket-office brah on work-study, who is more concerned about pinstagram than an actual job, could be mistaken.

As much as people hate on Sid, he's very connected at the U, and everywhere else in town. Why in God's name, after everything he has accomplished, would he sacrifice 70 years of perceived journalistic integrity with a patently false anti-U agenda over 5,000 measly tickets? Which do you think has more motivation to jump the gun and put out misinformation? The one trying to establish a career, or the one about to end one of most storied careers in sports journalism history?

You just want it to be false. If Sid gave the lighter projection, you'd likely be calling Gopher Lady's false.

Disclaimer: not accusing anyone of publishing a lie, as you were, just curious as to why it would be Sid, if anyone? You're right that it's likely a source issue, but I'm willing to bet that Sid's source is the bigger fish. I wouldn't be so quick to write it off.

Yep. Conclusively false. Sid pulled it out of the blue to get a rise out of gopherhole, as usual. There is no possible way that some ticket-office brah on work-study, who is more concerned about pinstagram than an actual job, could be mistaken.

As much as people hate on Sid, he's very connected at the U, and everywhere else in town. Why in God's name, after everything he has accomplished, would he sacrifice 70 years of perceived journalistic integrity with a patently false anti-U agenda over 5,000 measly tickets? Which do you think has more motivation to jump the gun and put out misinformation? The one trying to establish a career, or the one about to end one of most storied careers in sports journalism history?

You just want it to be false. If Sid gave the lighter projection, you'd likely be calling Gopher Lady's false.

Disclaimer: not accusing anyone of publishing a lie, as you were, just curious as to why it would be Sid, if anyone? You're right that it's likely a source issue, but I'm willing to bet that Sid's source is the bigger fish. I wouldn't be so quick to write it off.
12000- 5000 free student tickets = 7000 which is what the tweet from doogie reported. Makes sense and nobody is a liar.

You're kidding with this right? Sid is wrong all the freaking time.

Sid's integrity cannot be questioned. It's like when people accused Sid of jumping the gun on announcing the ground breaking of the new practice facilities. Who's laughing now?

You're kidding with this right? Sid is wrong all the freaking time.

Thank you! I personally don't give a flying F how many people are there nor the difference between 12000 and 5000 or 7000. I just like facts and sources and am excited to be fortunate enough to be at the game.

Fact: 5000 tickets are GIVEN to the freshmen (these are not counted in the total number unless you are a stickler for tickets "sold" vs butts in the seats)

Fact: a source higher than Johnny at the ticket office or even Johnny's supervisor but lower than Norwood himself, only slightly, stated that there were 5000 seats left not including the students after spending about 5 hours doing some fact checking.

Fact: Gopherlady has no agenda to build her career or compete with Sid in any way shape or form. In fact she is just a fanatic like the rest of us only she has the connections to get information when the rest of us can only speculate and go off of random media posts.

Fact is there will be a bunch of people there. Some will probably show up after the starting lineup. Season ticket holders in the good seats may not come to the game due to other things going on and just wait until TCU releases their allotment boy how that will throw off our conversation.

Do I want a sell out? Of course! Do I think attacking Gopherlady's credibility is justified? Absolutely not.

Just to clarify, this was my post about tickets: http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...ocial-deal-for-TCU-game&p=1082560#post1082560

I received this number at 5:19pm today, so a few things...

Doogie could have very well been accurate this morning when he said 6000-7000 left, they could have sold it down to 5000.
Sid isn't THAT far off, if he's taking into account the 5000 allotted for freshmen
I got my info from an associate AD that actually check exact numbers, so I'm pretty sure he's dead on.

Bottom line, it's disappointing that there are 5000 seats left to sell. When I checked Living Social at noon or so, they were at 122, now they're only at 220. I think all of us on this board know how huge this is, and appreciate this amazing NC game. I wish the casual fan would get it too!

Oh, and Bulldog- I don't think Sid has anything to gain from not telling the correct amount. However, I have known for a fact before, that he hasn't fact checked with the correct people before. There was a rumor last year he put up, I contacted the U instead of speculating, and was told that I was the only one that actually asked, not any of the real journalists, including Sid. He could also have a difference source that didn't ask the correct people. He clearly is well connected, 1000 times more than me, but may not have asked the right person, or got more of a guesstimate. Also, I'm not trying to start any kind of journalism career, if I would have wanted that, I would have done that at 22. I make my living is social media and marketing, this is just what I do for fun as a passion, it's certainly not a career/job.

I really wish I could be at this game! Would if I was in town. I'm expecting the vibe and the crowd to be just like the Air Force opener, except with the bonus of obviously 1) a much more prominent gopher squad, and 2) a much better/more entertaining opponent. No reason a few thousand more tickets can't be sold from now until the end of August.

Just to clarify, this was my post about tickets: http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/bo...ocial-deal-for-TCU-game&p=1082560#post1082560

Doogie could have very well been accurate this morning when he said 6000-7000 left, they could have sold it down to 5000.
Sid isn't THAT far off, if he's taking into account the 5000 allotted for freshmen
I got my info from an associate AD that actually check exact numbers, so I'm pretty sure he's dead on.

Bottom line, it's disappointing that there are 5000 seats left to sell. When I checked Living Social at noon or so, they were at 122, now they're only at 220. I think all of us on this board know how huge this is, and appreciate this amazing NC game. I wish the casual fan would get it too!

Oh, and Bulldog- I don't think Sid has anything to gain from not telling the correct amount. However, I have known for a fact before, that he hasn't fact checked with the correct people before. There was a rumor last year he put up, I contacted the U instead of speculating, and was told that I was the only one that actually asked, not any of the real journalists, including Sid. He could also have a difference source that didn't ask the correct people. He clearly is well connected, 1000 times more than me, but may not have asked the right person, or got more of a guesstimate. Also, I'm not trying to start any kind of journalism career, if I would have wanted that, I would have done that at 22. I make my living is social media and marketing, this is just what I do for fun as a passion, it's certainly not a career/job.

Totally agree on the bold.

Sad to say, but even if Sid gets the correct info, it's not a guarantee that Sid will 'report' it correctly. He gets 'a little mixed up' from time to time.

Look.....I respect Sid......but he's older than dirt. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Nadine, anything you report on my part is taken with extreme credibility. Knowing Sid and his passion for the Gophers he may have actually got the figures you reported, but is trying to hype sales.

snap

The Twins, the Vikings and the State Fair all on same plus it's Labor Day weekend. If we get any where near the 50k mark it will be a minor miracle. Last year's game against EIU had an announced attendance of like 44K. There's still a month until game day, so no one should panic yet.

The Twins, the Vikings and the State Fair all on same plus it's Labor Day weekend. If we get any where near the 50k mark it will be a minor miracle. Last year's game against EIU had an announced attendance of like 44K. There's still a month until game day, so no one should panic yet.

What you just described as people's excuses sounds like one heck of a fun weekend to me, minus the Vikings. None of those events are mutually exclusive. Personally going to the Twins game, Gophers game, State Fair Friday, Lake Saturday and Sunday.
Agree with you there is no need to panic, but there also isn't an excuse not to go unless your bedtime is around 8:00 ;)

Sid's a fossil who we all (rightly) take with a grain of salt, but if this game isn't completely sold out and full-including the student section-it's going to be embarrassing.

All valid but if this game is not a sellout that would be very disappointing. You have a team in Minnesota coming off two solid years opening the season against a top 3 team with a Heisman Trophy candidate at QB. This is the kind of game that even the casual fans should have quite a bit of interest in.

All valid but if this game is not a sellout that would be very disappointing. You have a team in Minnesota coming off two solid years opening the season against a top 3 team with a Heisman Trophy candidate at QB. This is the kind of game that even the casual fans should have quite a bit of interest in.
Not to mention with a metro area of almost 3 million it shouldn't be hard to sell out a home game against a top 5 opponent.

fair points. now the important question. are you purchasing said tickets to the game and taking anyone to the game? or just espousing on the matter? not hating or implying anything, just asking. thx

fair points. now the important question. are you purchasing said tickets to the game and taking anyone to the game? or just espousing on the matter? not hating or implying anything, just asking. thx

I'm going with 4 friends, can't speak for him though.

My family still hung onto our 4 season tickets so yes I will be there. Thanks for the concern :). Doesn't change the fact that this game needs to be a sellout.

My family still hung onto our 4 season tickets so yes I will be there. Thanks for the concern :). Doesn't change the fact that this game needs to be a sellout.

great to hear and thank you for being good fans. again wasn't implying anything...was just wondering if you were going. i agree that i want to see this game sellout too. we are not at odds on that point. cheers!

Top Bottom