Sid: Coaches will take a good look at RS freshman Chris Streveler next spring at QB

Do we not allow for off-season improvement? Nelson was fine this year. Good, not great. He's clearly the guy the Gopher coaches like the most right now. They see something in him. He had a nice stretch of games this season, and had a few rough patches at the end where there were some throws he'd like to have back. Still, he's better than Leidner, and he's going to come into next year after bowl practices and another spring with a mastery of the offense and a lot of confidence. He'll be the man to beat.

Streveler is probably the best athlete of the 3 QBs and i'm sure the coaches will see how he stacks-up vs. Leidner. I think they'd like to find a more dynamic runner at the position and develop a bit of a 2-headed monster there (similar to their days at Northern Illinois, or what we see at Northwestern with Simien and Coulter). Streveler may turn out to be our Coulter, and i'd love to see it.

Leidner is good. He's a solid, if not spectacular, as a runner. He's a decent passer. He'd do a fine job. I just think the other 2 guys bring things to the table that are slightly better than Mitch does. BUT......i don't see any scenario in which he changes positions. We need him at QB with the style of offense we run. Also, he made a huge leap from his 1st year to his 2nd......there's nothing that says he can't do that again.

I like our depth at QB.

I agree. Kill has said he doesn't want to ever be short-handed at the position again.

If this was really the case the coaches would see it everyday in practice. They also wouldn't have been chomping at the bit to get Nelson into the games he didn't start. Notice there was not the urgency to do the same with Mitch. I think reports of there being a real QB controversy earlier in the year were exaggerated. This staff makes it known they will play multiple, but I thought it was telling that they gave the impression this year that they felt a less than healthy Nelson > Leidner. I hope they both continue to develop, but you don't have to be Gruden to see that Nelson is the leader of the offense.

I've got nothing against Nelson. He appears to be a great kid with a lot of ability and leadership qualities. However, I think he missed far too many open receivers this year and his long passes where terrible. If that doesn't improve next season I don't believe he is going to hang onto his starting job.

I've got nothing against Nelson. He appears to be a great kid with a lot of ability and leadership qualities. However, I think he missed far too many open receivers this year and his long passes where terrible. If that doesn't improve next season I don't believe he is going to hang onto his starting job.

I agree. It just seems like you are expecting Mitch to improve in the off season, but not expecting Philip to do the same. Anyway, we will be best if they both step it up, along with Chris.

Question of curiosity....

Is there a list (stat) of # of B1G games won (career) by Gopher QB's. I can't imagine the number is too big.

You haven't watched any games apparently. Leidner is not a more accurate passer, period.

That run first QB has a higher completion percentage than Nelson and one interception in 56 passes. Nelson has an interception every 24 throws.

Nelson's our guy.

I've never seen Strevler play in a game, and neither have you.

What a non-story.

"Coaches will take a good look at every player on the roster next spring at every position"

There's your article.

Agree 100%.

I think Nelson will be just fine. Right now, he's the leader of this team on offense, unquestionably. He struggled against two of the top 10 defenses in the country, in cold weather. Not a shock. I'm going to say right now that he'll look GREAT in the bowl game, as will the entire offense.

The recent Nelson teeth gnashing is weird. It's like people are looking for something to be pissed about, or something to rip on for the offseason.
Nelson had a stretch this season when he was rated in the top 5 of all college qbs, he's a soph, he had nothing but freshmen at wr after engel went down. He will not miss those passes everyone is obsessing about next year, his freshmen receivers will not drop those passes they did this year in the future. Again, be patient and we'll be laughing at these threads as ridiculous in 2 years.

As far as Streveler goes, I do think he plays WR if better players don't step up at that position.

Very well stated Senior Ole.

That run first QB has a higher completion percentage than Nelson and one interception in 56 passes. Nelson has an interception every 24 throws.

We can all sit and pick stats, but the coaches put Nelson in for a reason. As stated earlier Mitch accounted for 80% of our fumbles. Leidner also throws 1 TD every 56 passes while Nelson throws one every 19 passes. They will both continue to improve and play. Next year they will have a 3rd in the competition. Leidner's stats are padded against non-conference opponents.

Whoever the starting QB is next year needs to make major improvements if the offense is going to excel. I feel that is pretty obvious. I also feel that Kill will play the kid who plays the best in the spring. Kill has already shown that he won't hesitate to play the younger player if he feels the need/want. Nelson is the guy right now.

You haven't watched any games apparently. Leidner is not a more accurate passer, period. If you watch, Mitch can't make it thru progressions which is obvious. Even BTN analysts consider Mitch a run first qb. Mitch also owns the most turnovers on the team. He has accounted for 80% of all the times Minnesota put the ball down on the field. And this is who you want for a qb. REALLY!! Not. Sorry.
This is a fun post. You state that Mitch is not a more accurate passer, and as proof, you bring up reads, fumbles, and running ability.
The argument was that Leidner is a more accurate passer with a stronger arm. It's possible that this is true and that Phil is still the better qb.

If this was really the case the coaches would see it everyday in practice. They also wouldn't have been chomping at the bit to get Nelson into the games he didn't start. Notice there was not the urgency to do the same with Mitch. I think reports of there being a real QB controversy earlier in the year were exaggerated. This staff makes it known they will play multiple, but I thought it was telling that they gave the impression this year that they felt a less than healthy Nelson > Leidner. I hope they both continue to develop, but you don't have to be Gruden to see that Nelson is the leader of the offense.

+1. This. All of this is spot on.

If you want to show your ignorance start spouting about Nelson not being good enough. Ignore stats, results, and then start stating you know Mitch is better. There are folks that always think the backup QB is better and give up on a qb after 1 or 2 bad games. These are the folks that think every missed pass is the QBs fault, it doesn't matter their age, their WRs, the route run, etc. because they can't see any deeper. I haven't audited this statement, but I suspect the same folks that are giving up on Nelson (after a good year, btw) are the same that wanted Shortell over Gray, still think Shortell was great, think Cassel is the man, want Streveler to start , etc. You know who you are.

If you want to show your ignorance start spouting about Nelson not being good enough. Ignore stats, results, and then start stating you know Mitch is better. There are folks that always think the backup QB is better and give up on a qb after 1 or 2 bad games. These are the folks that think every missed pass is the QBs fault, it doesn't matter their age, their WRs, the route run, etc. because they can't see any deeper. I haven't audited this statement, but I suspect the same folks that are giving up on Nelson (after a good year, btw) are the same that wanted Shortell over Gray, still think Shortell was great, think Cassel is the man, want Streveler to start , etc. You know who you are.

I am not saying Nelson is not good enough and I am not giving up on him. He has had a better start to his career than Adam Weber. I just believe that Leidner's upside is greater than Nelson's, and he is going to start proving it next year.

No way Mitch Leidner moves to tight end.

If they feel he can handle second string duties, Leidner will move to TE.

No inside info, just speculation on my part.

To me Nelson has been fine at quarterback. The kids head moves and he sees the progressions better than anyone else right now. Now he has to have the discipline to square his feet and follow through, no more finishing off the back foot and the line has to improve at giving more time.

Sid likes to stir the pot but if he is writing this the coaches must have some concern about the accuracy of the quarterbacks. If anything I think Strevlar because he is so fast is going to end up playing wide receiver next year because we will need his speed on the field. He Strevlar will be to valuable to be sitting on the sidelines not playing so he is likely to see the field next year.

Leidner has always played quarterback even in high school. I doubt he has any interest in switching positions. If anything I bet Leidner will transfer to play QB somewhere else if Minnesota does not work out for him. Mitch holds the ball far to long right now, he needs to be more decisive in moving off his first read and where next to throw the ball. That and protect the football when your in the game, the ball is your friend do not let the other side take it so easy.

I am not saying Nelson is not good enough and I am not giving up on him. He has had a better start to his career than Adam Webber. I just believe that Leidner's upside is greater than Nelson's, and he is going to start proving it next year.

Not even close. Look at the stats if you don't believe me.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2008-2009/m-footbl-stats-08.html

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2007-2008/m-footbl-stats-07.html

What a non-story.

"Coaches will take a good look at every player on the roster next spring at every position"

There's your article.

dpodoll68 and I don't see eye to eye on a lot but in this case I totally agree with his statement.

In regards to the QB position, it would make sense that Nelson would be the leading candidate to start next year but he certainly has not done enough to have that set in stone at this point. I would expect a wide open competition starting in the spring between Nelson, Leidner, and Streveler and hopefully one of them will take hold of the position and eliminate all doubt as to who is the starter.

If I had to put money on who wins out I would bet on Nelson but would not be shocked to see one of the other guys beat him out.

Stats don't tell the whole story about Weber. I watched every one of his games for four years. It felt like I was being tortured.

Nelson still has a chance to be better, but he absolutely has not been better so far.

Rushing 850 v. 534. Rushing td's 9 v. 6.

Passing yards 5656 v. 2161. Td's 39 v. 17. Efficiency avg. 123.0 v. 113.0 (rough avg's) Pct. 59.5 v. 50.0 (rough avg.'s).

You obviously didn't like Weber...therefore your reasoning is what it is.

Nelson still has a chance to be better, but he absolutely has not been better so far.

Rushing 850 v. 534. Rushing td's 9 v. 6.

Passing yards 5656 v. 2161. Td's 39 v. 17. Efficiency avg. 123.0 v. 113.0 (rough avg's) Pct. 59.5 v. 50.0 (rough avg.'s).

You obviously didn't like Weber...therefore your reasoning is what it is.

I think Weber is a great guy and a helluva competitor, teammate, and leader. But he was a very inconsistent passer over his entire career. However, I do think that he worked very hard and showed improvement from year to year.

I think Weber is a great guy and a helluva competitor, teammate, and leader. But he was a very inconsistent passer over his entire career. And I do think that he worked very hard and showed improvement from year to year.

Agree on all accounts, but Nelson's stats show that he has been an even more inconsistent passer... so far. I would love it if Nelson takes the job completely so we don't have to have this type of thread exist for the next two years.

I am not saying Nelson is not good enough and I am not giving up on him. He has had a better start to his career than Adam Weber. I just believe that Leidner's upside is greater than Nelson's, and he is going to start proving it next year.

Sorry to say this but Mitch has no upside as a starting D1 qb. He can't process fast enough and can't get the ball out his hands fast enough when he does make up his mind. Look at some game replays. He stairs down 1 receiver and if that receiver isn't open, he's off to the races with his legs and chances are he will fumble the ball, 9 times so far losing 3. Mitch also gets sacked a lot, this because he's processing and doesn't feel pressure well. This comment by BTN analysts. Qb's aren't built on 7 on 7 performances as some people think. Mitch does have good size and has developed some good speed and he is strong. Mitch has shown he does like contact and perhaps he will make it on the field in another position. The bottom line here is Kill is good at putting talent on the field regardless of position. Let's see what happens.

Sorry to say this but Mitch has no upside as a starting D1 qb. He can't process fast enough and can't get the ball out his hands fast enough when he does make up his mind. Look at some game replays. He stairs down 1 receiver and if that receiver isn't open, he's off to the races with his legs and chances are he will fumble the ball, 9 times so far losing 3. Mitch also gets sacked a lot, this because he's processing and doesn't feel pressure well. This comment by BTN analysts. Qb's aren't built on 7 on 7 performances as some people think. Mitch does have good size and has developed some good speed and he is strong. Mitch has shown he does like contact and perhaps he will make it on the field in another position. The bottom line here is Kill is good at putting talent on the field regardless of position. Let's see what happens.

A little harsh. He has time to improve.

How does Philip feel about you speaking so harshly about one of his teammates?

Wow. Leidner is a RS Freshman that has started and finished a total of 2 games in his college career, but we're writing him off.

Good stuff!!

QB threads like this are always entertaining. If the title was "Coaches will take a good look at RS Freshman Daletavious McGhee, Alex Mayes, Eric Carter, etc etc it would have maybe elicited a few responses. Talk about giving another QB a look though, and everyone wants to comment.

Nelson is still somewhat of an enigma. He definitely improved between his freshman and sophomore year, I don't think anyone would question that. He had 4 good B1G games against average to poor competition, but really struggled in his 3 B1G games against good defenses. No doubt he was hurt by young and inexperienced WRs, but he also had some chances to make throws and get us back in all 3 of those losses, and in each one there were 1-2 times when he badly missed open guys for TDs or at least big game changing plays. Keep in mind that he is still really young, and in the staff's perfect world he would have been a RS freshman this year.

I think he improves over the off-season and takes another step forward next year, along with the WRs.

"The back up QB is always the most popular player on the team"

First off, people are taking what Sid Hartman said seriously.

Second, there's no way a Freshman who''s never taken a snap is starting over Phil Nelson next year. It's not happening. I'll take any bet on this, for any amount & I'll give you odds.

Nelson isn't perfect but he's got just over a season of experience now (remember he didn't start until the end of his Freshman season & he missed games this year due to injury) & has shown why Kill/Limegrover handpicked him as the guy they wanted to run their offense. Sure he needs to get more consistent, but how many QB's don't? The biggest jump in progress is usually from So-Jr years & I expect he'll be damn good next year.

We're always going to run a two QB offense, that's what we do. Kill/Limegrover did it at NIU when they had a great starter, it's part of their game plan, not an indictment of the starter. Leidner is a capable back up & like Nelson, will get better with time & probably take the reigns his Sr year.

Streveler is also a talented option coming down the pike, but for now he's inexperienced & untested. When Nelson or Leidner get injured next year Strevy will get some reps. That's likely how he'll see action until Nelson graduates. At that point he'll take over the Leidner role of back up as Leidner becomes the starter his Sr year. This could flip flop & Streveler could leap frog Leidner, but it's less likely than the other way around.

"The back up QB is always the most popular player on the team"

First off, people are taking what Sid Hartman said seriously.

Second, there's no way a Freshman who''s never taken a snap is starting over Phil Nelson next year. It's not happening. I'll take any bet on this, for any amount & I'll give you odds.

Nelson isn't perfect but he's got just over a season of experience now (remember he didn't start until the end of his Freshman season & he missed games this year due to injury) & has shown why Kill/Limegrover handpicked him as the guy they wanted to run their offense. Sure he needs to get more consistent, but how many QB's don't? The biggest jump in progress is usually from So-Jr years & I expect he'll be damn good next year.

We're always going to run a two QB offense, that's what we do. Kill/Limegrover did it at NIU when they had a great starter, it's part of their game plan, not an indictment of the starter. Leidner is a capable back up & like Nelson, will get better with time & probably take the reigns his Sr year.

Streveler is also a talented option coming down the pike, but for now he's inexperienced & untested. When Nelson or Leidner get injured next year Strevy will get some reps. That's likely how he'll see action until Nelson graduates. At that point he'll take over the Leidner role of back up as Leidner becomes the starter his Sr year. This could flip flop & Streveler could leap frog Leidner, but it's less likely than the other way around.

Yep...this staff would never start a freshman over an experienced guy...to think they would even consider trying something like that is just foolish....I mean can you think of anytime ever where they have done something like this....

Top Bottom