SI: Montee Ball returning to Wisconsin

While I understand Ball wants to be drafted higher than the third round (read that was where he was projected), the fact is that good running backs are a dime-a-dozen in the NFL. Why would teams waste money and a pick on a high round when teams can win just as easily without a top RB. Look at the Packers, Saints, and Patriots. Great QBs meh running games although the addition of Darren Sproles has made the Saints great.

...and beyond that, I'm not going to do the calculation myself, but even if he improves his draft stock a full round, I can't see this being a good financial decision. I wouldn't expect that second vs. third round money would make up for the 1 year of paychecks he's missing (especially given the average career length of NFL rbs.)
That said, I'm sure he's thought about it plenty, and made his call. Good on him for staying in school and sticking with his folks and rumored GF. Here's to hoping he has a horrible season and ruins his NFL prospects.

I really hope it's not a GF that is keeping him from going to the NFL. If he thinks he can improve his stock and wants to get his degree, that's one thing. But staying in school for a girl would be silly. If it's meant to be, they could go a year apart.

To stay in college or go to the pros - I don't think his stock will vastly improve by staying in college an extra year. The type of RB he is, I think like someone said he will not be a featured back. He will be more like a Milwelde Moore or Chester Taylor with the Vikes. Bottom line, it would not matter in the scheme of the NFL whether he stays in or declare for the draft.

I really hope it's not a GF that is keeping him from going to the NFL. If he thinks he can improve his stock and wants to get his degree, that's one thing. But staying in school for a girl would be silly. If it's meant to be, they could go a year apart.

My thought as well. Although, would the NFL "lifestyle" be more or less conducive to having a GF? He would have more cash to impress the current GF, or he could easily obtain a new one (or more)!

My thought as well. Although, would the NFL "lifestyle" be more or less conducive to having a GF? He would have more cash to impress the current GF, or he could easily obtain a new one (or more)!

Give me a break! It was a parenthetical addition to one (1) of four (4) reasons. Although, if true, it is kind of sweet - not that rational, but who is rational in love?

Give me a break! It was a parenthetical addition to one (1) of four (4) reasons. Although, if true, it is kind of sweet - not that rational, but who is rational in love?

Hey, how'd that Rose Bowl game go? I can't remember who won... =P

Yer right, though, on the love not being rational. That said, I'm going to hate to see MoneyBall running over our maroon and gold defenders again..

To stay in college or go to the pros - I don't think his stock will vastly improve by staying in college an extra year. The type of RB he is, I think like someone said he will not be a featured back. He will be more like a Milwelde Moore or Chester Taylor with the Vikes. Bottom line, it would not matter in the scheme of the NFL whether he stays in or declare for the draft.

Chester Taylor went over 1,000 yards for the Vikings in 2006 and was over 700 yards two other times in his career (once in Baltimore, once in Minnesota) so he had some time as at least a semi-featured back and was productive. I think he's a valid comparison to Ball much more than Mwelde Moore, who is really on a third-down back.

Maybe I'm Ball's biggest fan, but I think he's really underrated on this board as a pro prospect. I don't think staying in school helps him as a prospect because I see him as pretty much a finished product. He may have to learn how to block in certain schemes, but other than that, I think he's ready.

No breakaway speed? Who cares? Does Brandon Jacobs have breakaway speed? Ryan Grant? Pierre Thomas? Kevin Smith? Matt Forte? The unfortunate thing for Ball is that outside of Forte (2nd round) and Smith (3rd round), none of these guys--all big contributors on this year's NFL playoff teams except for Forte's Bears--were either low draft picks or weren't drafted. If that is why Ball is staying (I don't buy the girlfriend stuff and if it is true, I wonder how he's managed to stay eligible because his brain is obviously below his waistline), I look forward to watching him again next season. He's a really great college player who I think is going to be a dynamite pro.

Chester Taylor went over 1,000 yards for the Vikings in 2006 and was over 700 yards two other times in his career (once in Baltimore, once in Minnesota) so he had some time as at least a semi-featured back and was productive. I think he's a valid comparison to Ball much more than Mwelde Moore, who is really on a third-down back.

Maybe I'm Ball's biggest fan, but I think he's really underrated on this board as a pro prospect. I don't think staying in school helps him as a prospect because I see him as pretty much a finished product. He may have to learn how to block in certain schemes, but other than that, I think he's ready.

No breakaway speed? Who cares? Does Brandon Jacobs have breakaway speed? Ryan Grant? Pierre Thomas? Kevin Smith? Matt Forte? The unfortunate thing for Ball is that outside of Forte (2nd round) and Smith (3rd round), none of these guys--all big contributors on this year's NFL playoff teams except for Forte's Bears--were either low draft picks or weren't drafted. If that is why Ball is staying (I don't buy the girlfriend stuff and if it is true, I wonder how he's managed to stay eligible because his brain is obviously below his waistline), I look forward to watching him again next season. He's a really great college player who I think is going to be a dynamite pro.

I agree I think he will be a good pro, but not an all-pro level player, and he is a superstar in college. If he was about a 3rd round pick this year in a deep RB class, maybe he'll get into the mid-2nd round with another good year next year. I do have a hard time believing he can come too close to matching this years numbers, but I suppose scouts look at a lot more than just numbers. I do think the risk of injury outweighs the benefits of staying though. But maybe he just loves college, wants to graduate, and have one more run, though I doubt Wisconsin has much of a chance to be as good next year without a big upgrade on defense.

Top Bottom