SI: Montee Ball returning to Wisconsin

It was weak last year. Mark Ingram was the only first-round running back. With the way the NFL is going, running backs drafted in the Top 10 are becoming less likely, but Richardson's going to go in the 4-6 range. Lamar Miller is a first rounder and Chris Polk, LaMichael James and David Wilson will probably be drafted before Ball would have gone.

Maybe but I don't see Lamar Miller as being anything better than Ball as far as prospects go. The same would be said for the rest of those guys. LaMichael James is a bust waiting to happen, looks great in that offense but so does everyone else, and he is tiny as hell.

5 coaches now gone and possible Kyle Dodson, top recruiter walking.

I'll say it- Ball is 5'8" and his running style has no breakaway speed. Not good for a guy who wants to play in the NFL.

Maybe but I don't see Lamar Miller as being anything better than Ball as far as prospects go. The same would be said for the rest of those guys. LaMichael James is a bust waiting to happen, looks great in that offense but so does everyone else, and he is tiny as hell.
Denver drafting James to go with Tebow in the offense they've been running would be perfect.

I'll say it- Ball is 5'8" and his running style has no breakaway speed. Not good for a guy who wants to play in the NFL.

Yeah, I don't know - the NFL is weird these days. You don't really have to be big or fast to be a productive/serviceable back anymore.

Tolbert seems to give the Chargers what they want. Same with Hillis. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think MJD was terribly fast (why would I want to actually watch a Jaguars game).

And I think the Emmit Smith Comparison is a fair one.

Yeah, I don't know - the NFL is weird these days. You don't really have to be big or fast to be a productive/serviceable back anymore.

Tolbert seems to give the Chargers what they want. Same with Hillis. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I didn't think MJD was terribly fast (why would I want to actually watch a Jaguars game).

And I think the Emmit Smith Comparison is a fair one.

He is listed at 5'11", so I doubt he is 5'8". Even if he is, many of the best backs are small and compact. 5'9" 220 (if he can get there weight-wise) is the perfect size for a back.

I don't know if Ball is an everydown back in the NFL, but I think he is about a perfect complimentary RB. He runs smart, is a good blocker and a really good receiver. Obviously what is holding him back is that he doesn't have that breakaway speed or explosive agility, but he is a good solid back who will do a lot of things well.

As far as LMJ, it really depends on what offense he goes to. He has legitimate speed, he can catch the ball out of the backfield and runs tougher than his size. With the kind of offenses being run in today's NFL, he should find a role as a 3rd Down back.

On October 3rd, 2009, I walked on to a commuter bus headed to TCF from the State Fair Grounds. When I walked on the bus with 3 of my friends, we saw 4 people all wearing red jerseys with 28 on them. We had to ask who 28 was. It turned out it was Montee Ball's family. They were very nice and Montee actually made an appearance despite being very deep on their depth chart. They told us about how Montee was ready to verbally commit to Minnesota because of the early possibility of playing and the coaching staff, but when Brewster didn't show up as he said he would, he got a call from the Wisconsin staff and stayed firm. It was the last day before the dead period before Signing Day and they felt nixed because of a failed promise. Brewster instead went to try to land Ronnie Wingo and Bryant Allen instead that day. I think we know how that all turned out.

Funny how things work out. I don't think Montee would be half the back he is at Wisconsin without that line. Still would have been nice to see him play for MN.

5 coaches now gone and possible Kyle Dodson, top recruiter walking.

collegehumor.b73997efe996891c882c194bb9736a87.jpg

LET IT BURN!

I think it would be a mistake for Ball or any RB not to enter the draft if they aren't a 1st round or high second round pick. The leading rookie rushers the last two years were DeMarco Murray who was the sixth back taken and LeGarrett Blount who wasn't even drafted.

popeyoung5 said:
3 coaches are going to Pitt, one coach to ASU. Half the o line, qb, wr, all new. Most rb's nowadays are 2-4th round picks anyways. Get out now. I find it more interesting how many coaches are bailing from BB. He should be a joy to watch in 2012. I am a Badger alum and really think the Gophers will beat them this year. Everyone will throw 8 in the box, shut down the run and make the new qb beat You. Sound familiar?

Come on - You had to have made this up. I bet you also heard Luck wanted to transfer here but Brewster said no.

I think it would be a mistake for Ball or any RB not to enter the draft if they aren't a 1st round or high second round pick. The leading rookie rushers the last two years were DeMarco Murray who was the sixth back taken and LeGarrett Blount who wasn't even drafted.

It kind of depends though. If they are a player who people feel will be able to improve his stock, he should go back to school. However, certain players are going to be pretty much set at their draft position. For instance, I don't think LMJ can really improve his stock because whether it's the 2012 or 2013 draft, he will likely be pigeon holed because of his size. Ball could be in a similar position. He was already about as productive as possible, but he doesn't have that ideal speed or explosiveness and he probably never will. I think Ball is better than most of the analysts believe him to be (right now), but he does lack those phenom type measurables.

A guy like Ball really needs a good crew around him who are really good at guessing where he will end up and his prospects of improving his position.

I was watching the television monitor while I was on the treadmill and a snippet came on about Matt Forte. I think Ball is a lot like Forte, who, when coming out of college, was not that highly regarded. In fact, the Bears got beat up pretty bad in the draft-nik press (which in its online life is probably a bunch of 16-year-olds in their rooms) for drafting Forte in the middle of the 2nd round.

I was watching the television monitor while I was on the treadmill and a snippet came on about Matt Forte. I think Ball is a lot like Forte, who, when coming out of college, was not that highly regarded. In fact, the Bears got beat up pretty bad in the draft-nik press (which in its online life is probably a bunch of 16-year-olds in their rooms) for drafting Forte in the middle of the 2nd round.

I agree 50, I think Ball has Forte type ability. They are similar, in terms of size, both megaproductive in college, and both good receivers. I think DeMarco Murray and Matt Forte are pretty similar type RBs to Ball.

Out of curiosity, what would Ball be hoping to do to improve his draft stock next season? I can't imagine he needs to put on weight, and he's obviously not going to improve on his numbers from this season. Regardless of what he graded out as, I would think his stock would be much more likely to fall than it would be to improve next season, given the hit the offensive balance of that team is poised to take, coaching changes, injury risk, surrendering some carries to other backs on the team, etc, not to mention the opportunity cost associated with one less season in the NFL.

While Ball is a great college back, I agree he lacks bigtime speed NFL teams look for. I would bet he is a 3-4 round pick.

It kind of depends though. If they are a player who people feel will be able to improve his stock, he should go back to school. However, certain players are going to be pretty much set at their draft position. For instance, I don't think LMJ can really improve his stock because whether it's the 2012 or 2013 draft, he will likely be pigeon holed because of his size. Ball could be in a similar position. He was already about as productive as possible, but he doesn't have that ideal speed or explosiveness and he probably never will. I think Ball is better than most of the analysts believe him to be (right now), but he does lack those phenom type measurables.

A guy like Ball really needs a good crew around him who are really good at guessing where he will end up and his prospects of improving his position.

I didn't mean to compare Ball with Murray or James. It was just a point that good running-backs can be found in later rounds. Given the lack of success with the recent Wisconsin backs in the NFL (jury still out on John Clay) it might have more to do with the system than anything else.

Ball coming back. Officially announced at 3pm press conference.

Out of curiosity, what would Ball be hoping to do to improve his draft stock next season? I can't imagine he needs to put on weight, and he's obviously not going to improve on his numbers from this season. Regardless of what he graded out as, I would think his stock would be much more likely to fall than it would be to improve next season, given the hit the offensive balance of that team is poised to take, coaching changes, injury risk, surrendering some carries to other backs on the team, etc, not to mention the opportunity cost associated with one less season in the NFL.

According to tweets from Bucky's 5th Quarter Ball said that he thinks he lacked strength and wants to add 10 pounds. He also admitted to taking a huge gamble.
-

15 minute press conference and two "brief" mentions of academics.

15 minute press conference and two "brief" mentions of academics.

Reminds me of Keith Smart when he announced for the draft after hitting the winning shot in 1987. He said something like "Now that I have achieved all my goals at the University of Indiana". SMH.

Russell Wilson (and I never want to hear that name again) made ball a better player this past year. His threat to run or pass made defenses respect him and made ball a lesser target. Next year ball won't have that luxury with a lesser QB. Am not a great football mind but just my opinion.

Russell Wilson (and I never want to hear that name again) made ball a better player this past year. His threat to run or pass made defenses respect him and made ball a lesser target. Next year ball won't have that luxury with a lesser QB. Am not a great football mind but just my opinion.

I hope that's the case, but I really don't think it will be with WI.

In 2010 (Tolzien at QB):
584 attempts
3194 yards
5.5 yards per
48 TDs

In 2011 (Wilson at QB):
609 attempts
3298 yards
5.4 per
48 TDs

As a team, they almost ran the ball identically in 2010 as they did when Wilson arrived. Tolzien was actually much better than he gets credit for in 2010, so it wasn't like they lacked a passing game in 2010. I guess my point is that WI ran the ball incredibly effective before Wilson, i'd expect Ball to put up gaudy numbers again.

I hope that's the case, but I really don't think it will be with WI.

In 2010 (Tolzien at QB):
584 attempts
3194 yards
5.5 yards per
48 TDs

In 2011 (Wilson at QB):
609 attempts
3298 yards
5.4 per
48 TDs

As a team, they almost ran the ball identically in 2010 as they did when Wilson arrived. Tolzien was actually much better than he gets credit for in 2010, so it wasn't like they lacked a passing game in 2010. I guess my point is that WI ran the ball incredibly effective before Wilson, i'd expect Ball to put up gaudy numbers again.

Perhaps, but can he do it without Chryst, the OLine coach and several linemen who will be gone?????

I'm done being nice. I hope he gets a high ankle sprain, rushes for 258 yards for the season and doesn't get drafted.

He is still an excellent college back, no matter who the QB is and the OC is, as long as he has some good lineman there he will be ok. Personally I think it is a mistake coming back to rack up 250 more carries on the body, but maybe he loves it in Madison. Although I don't see a 11 win season next year for WI, the D is bad and they will be breaking in a new QB and coaching staff. But if his stock goes up 20-30 slots it will have been worth it. But the risk of injury seems a bit high for the reward to me. As of now he is probably what, a 3rd rounder, its not like he's going to go in the top 15 next year.

While I agree that it is probably a mistake for Ball to come back, what I have heard from someone close to him is that:

1) He really loves the college game and Wisconsin (and a GF);
2) He thinks he can improve to better than a 3rd round draft choice;
3) He wants to be a leader on a team that will need leadership; and
4) His parents, who moved to Wisconsin for his college career, really wanted him to stay in school.

All admirable goals, to be sure. I suppose it is possible that there is a college player who puts the game over money, but I scratch my head and thank my lucky stars every time I consider his decision. I'm also holding my breath until the pro signing deadline passes...

While I understand Ball wants to be drafted higher than the third round (read that was where he was projected), the fact is that good running backs are a dime-a-dozen in the NFL. Why would teams waste money and a pick on a high round when teams can win just as easily without a top RB. Look at the Packers, Saints, and Patriots. Great QBs meh running games although the addition of Darren Sproles has made the Saints great.

Top Bottom