SI: Montee Ball returning to Wisconsin

With the short pro careers of RB's this is a surprise to me. Why knock another year of wear and tear off without getting paid?

With the short pro careers of RB's this is a surprise to me. Why knock another year of wear and tear off without getting paid?

My thought as well. He's a great player and seems to be a great kid, so I respect his decision.

My thought as well. He's a great player and seems to be a great kid, so I respect his decision.

Selfishly as a college football fan, it is good to see guys return.

Selfishly as a college football fan, it is good to see guys return.

Selfishly as a Minnesota Golden Gopher fan, it is horrible to see Ball return. =)

Dumb move for him.
He'll never see defenses like he did this year, his production will be way down, carries way up, and season likely ends out of a major bowl.

/waits for blown out ACL and murdered draft stock

//F*** that guy

James White must feel great today. With the starter/coaching losses, this will be his best year.

RBs have a limited shelf life.

You only have so many carries in you before you "lose it".

The number of carries he gets next year - probably 300 or more - are carries he could've been getting paid for.

He will never recoup the money lost for giving those 300 carries free to Wisconsin instead of NFL team X.

From a business perspective, it's an insanely stupid decision. Clearly, he valued the personal aspects of the dichotomy more than the business aspects.

Stupid. He's coming off a solid year w/o any serious injuries - he would be a low draft pick. All it takes is one hit and all that $$$ is gone. He can complete his degree at any time.

Part of it has to do with the draft class of RBs this year. There would probably be at least three RBs drafted ahead of him this year, maybe more.

Part of it has to do with the draft class of RBs this year. There would probably be at least three RBs drafted ahead of him this year, maybe more.

That might be true, but I think he's the best all-around back in college football. Richardson is very good, but I don't think he can do as many things as well as Ball can. Ball can fit in just about any offensive scheme.

It really depends on what his draft stock is right now. If he is seen as a possible 4th or 5th rounder then I think he is best served coming back or another year and putting up more gaudy numbers.

If he has another amazing year, he could certainly improve his stock. He does already have a lot of carries and he'll likely end up around 750-800 carries throughout his career, however if he can improve his draft stock to late 1st or early 2nd from 5th or 6th round, it is definitely worth the wear and tear.

Additionally, his numbers won't go down by much if they go down.
In 2010, Wisconsin was 4 yards away from having 3 1,000 yard rushers, and that was with Tolzien at QB. I think it's a pretty safe bet that Ball (and White) will both have big years running the ball.

Lastly, as much as I hate to say it, WI will probably be in a major bowl game next year. Their side of the division is going to be pretty empty, tOSU can't go to the post season, Illinois and PSU are going through coaching changes, Purdue could be decent, but other than that it's a putrid Indiana team. There is a VERY good chance that WI goes to the Big 10 Championship Game, and a major bowl.

If you say so. The draft class at RB is really weak this year.

He must have received a mid-round grade from the advisory committee. I believe he previously said that if he was rated a 2nd rounder or higher he'd go pro, or something to that effect.

Big risk for a RB. Look at the Vikings...Peterson and Gerhart both tore knee ligaments in back to back weeks.

@M_ball28: lots of speculation out there, leaning one way but just not ready to make an announcement yet, appreciate everyone's patience

I think it was Mel Kiper's big board they showed yesterday during the Sugar Bowl for the running back class this year. His board didn't even show Ball as a top 5 running back in this draft class. Take that with a grain of salt but it surprised me.

He must have received a mid-round grade from the advisory committee. I believe he previously said that if he was rated a 2nd rounder or higher he'd go pro, or something to that effect.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing.

I think it was Mel Kiper's big board they showed yesterday during the Sugar Bowl for the running back class this year. His board didn't even show Ball as a top 5 running back in this draft class. Take that with a grain of salt but it surprised me.

I find it difficult to believe he's not in the top 5.

Mel's board is usually just seniors at this point.

It was weak last year. Mark Ingram was the only first-round running back. With the way the NFL is going, running backs drafted in the Top 10 are becoming less likely, but Richardson's going to go in the 4-6 range. Lamar Miller is a first rounder and Chris Polk, LaMichael James and David Wilson will probably be drafted before Ball would have gone.

Mel's board is usually just seniors at this point.
Maybe he'll turn out to ba a great NFL back, but Oregon did a good job of stopping him when they beat Wisky's blocks. He did not break as many tackles as I expected him to. Unless he is the next Emmitt Smith, and can beat NFL players with balance and strength, he is not that big and not that fast and it may be tough to see him as as every down back.

3 coaches are going to Pitt, one coach to ASU. Half the o line, qb, wr, all new. Most rb's nowadays are 2-4th round picks anyways. Get out now. I find it more interesting how many coaches are bailing from BB. He should be a joy to watch in 2012. I am a Badger alum and really think the Gophers will beat them this year. Everyone will throw 8 in the box, shut down the run and make the new qb beat You. Sound familiar?

For whatever it's worth.

@M_Ball28 Montee Ball
lots of speculation out there, leaning one way but just not ready to make an announcement yet, appreciate everyone's patience

At least 4 coaches now leaving the Badgers should be a bigger concern for BB.

Possibly 4 - rumor is Rudolph may join the others at Pitt if he is not named Becky's new OC.

Like rats off a sinking ship.

What's the humidity like at Pitt? Does that create more or fewer boogers to eat?

I can't believe Craig James killed all those hookers

Top Bottom