SI Article: "Being forced to leave Gophers destroyed us" - Jerry Kill

HIs uncontrolled seizures that threatened his life if he didn't reduce the stress in his life and take his medicines as prescribed were the major factors in his leaving..
It is my understanding that his physicians and his wife not the U of MN "forced" him to eave.
This article does not suggest otherwise, nor have I ever recalled it being suggested anywhere that the University forced his departure as Head Coach.

Can we have a new forum for "all things former coaches"? I don't mean a thread, but a new forum alongside football, basketball, etc. When will people stop with the Jerry Kill crap? It's like some people have an obsession with starting a thread, no matter how irrelevant.

This article does not suggest otherwise, nor have I ever recalled it being suggested anywhere that the University forced his departure as Head Coach.
Yep, another case of a headline that is made for click bait. I believe at most media outlets the writers do not create the headline, someone else does it.

The actual article doesn't refer to it that way at all, so another case of a headline made to grab attention.

You'd really have to twist Kill's words and want to cave-in to click bait to have that mean anything except his health forced him out.

"Kill spent five seasons at Minnesota but had to step down in 2015 due to issues related to epilepsy. Kill has made several stops since then including becoming an interim head coach at TCU after Gary Patterson's dismissal last season, but he surprised many when he took the head coaching job with the Aggies last fall.

"It destroyed us," Kill said of his departure in 2015. "I didn’t want to leave the way I went out. That's why I’m coaching now. I want to go out the way I want to, not something taken away from me. People can judge me, I know what I stand for."

The actual article doesn't refer to it that way at all, so another case of a headline made to grab attention.

The Kill quote from the article: “I want to go out the way I want to, not something taken away from me.”

Nothing was taken away from him, he did it to himself. The woe is me schtick continues for anyone who will listen to him.

The Kill quote from the article: “I want to go out the way I want to, not something taken away from me.”

Nothing was taken away from him, he did it to himself. The woe is me schtick continues for anyone who will listen to him.

You think he gave himself epilepsy? Well at least that's a novel approach.:LOL:

"Kill spent five seasons at Minnesota but had to step down in 2015 due to issues related to epilepsy. Kill has made several stops since then including becoming an interim head coach at TCU after Gary Patterson's dismissal last season, but he surprised many when he took the head coaching job with the Aggies last fall.

"It destroyed us," Kill said of his departure in 2015. "I didn’t want to leave the way I went out. That's why I’m coaching now. I want to go out the way I want to, not something taken away from me. People can judge me, I know what I stand for."

Oh please, you know that's not what I'm saying

Yeah but what you're saying is almost as ludicrous. He wasn't talking about getting run out of here when he wanted to stay. He's clearly talking about having to leave because of health issues.

We get it. You reacted to the headline and posted before reading the story. It's okay. That's what SI and maybe the O.P. wanted people do do anyway.

Last edited:

Yeah but what you're saying is almost as ludicrous. He wasn't talking about getting run out of here when he wanted to stay. He's clearly talking about having to leave because of health issues.

We get it. You reacted to the headline and posted before reading the story. It's okay. That's what SI and maybe the O.P. wanted people do do anyway.

Every year Jerry came in saying how he had lost weight, changed medication, was sleeping better and had his epilepsy under control. Then every time he had an episode, he admitted it was due to not doing the things he said helped him get it under control at the beginning of the season.

Jerry took the Gophers job away from himself, nothing else took it away from him. Thanks again for highlighting the portion in the article that states that he still thinks 'he had it taken away from him', but fails to blame the only person at fault, himself.

Every year Jerry came in saying how he had lost weight, changed medication, was sleeping better and had his epilepsy under control. Then every time he had an episode, he admitted it was due to not doing the things he said helped him get it under control at the beginning of the season.

Jerry took the Gophers job away from himself, nothing else took it away from him. Thanks again for highlighting the portion in the article that states that he still thinks 'he had it taken away from him', but fails to blame the only person at fault, himself.
Maybe don’t speculate about someone’s medical health and say things like “they have no one to blame but themselves.” It doesn’t reflect well on you and you (or any of us) have no idea what you’re talking about.

Last edited:

It was "taken away from him" by his health concerns. That's clearly what he meant.

I am sympathetic to a guy coming into the latter stages of his coaching career, who had worked hard and paid his dues at more than a few minor coaching outposts. He finally lands a B1G coaching job. Dream come true! He's doing pretty well, the program is finally showing signs of life — and he loses all that because his body simply can't take it.

Hard to not feel some empathy for the man.

It was "taken away from him" by his health concerns. That's clearly what he meant.

I am sympathetic to a guy coming into the latter stages of his coaching career, who had worked hard and paid his dues at more than a few minor coaching outposts. He finally lands a B1G coaching job. Dream come true! He's doing pretty well, the program is finally showing signs of life — and he loses all that because his body simply can't take it.

Hard to not feel some empathy for the man.

So he has now cured his epilepsy? It's now not an issue after taking a new job every year, and never shying away from taking an interview to complain about Fleck, the U who gave him chances other schools wouldn't, and continuing to throw a pity party for himself?

I was sad for Kill in 2015 and had a ton of empathy for him then. He's shown his true colors since. This is all about Jerry and his ego, and I can't believe there are still people who can't see through it.

He looks pretty good. I think whatever diet he is on is a game changer.

So he has now cured his epilepsy? It's now not an issue after taking a new job every year, and never shying away from taking an interview to complain about Fleck, the U who gave him chances other schools wouldn't, and continuing to throw a pity party for himself?

I was sad for Kill in 2015 and had a ton of empathy for him then. He's shown his true colors since. This is all about Jerry and his ego, and I can't believe there are still people who can't see through it.

No, he hasn't "cured his epilepsy". He keeps making attempts to control it better — by losing weight, managing his work load more effectively, etc. — and he tries to put as good a face on it as possible, because he loves coaching and he wants desperately to coach.

I am not happy with some of the things he's said and done since he left here, but I can forgive him to a point. He is obviously loyal to Tracy Claeys, and that's certainly understandable. And he bristled and got angry when Fleck talked of culture change (I think Kill is being too thin-skinned on that point).

But I can't fault a guy too much for sticking up for an old friend, nor for trying to defend his own coaching legacy — even if Kill is somewhat off base and overly defensive there.

The man is a human being, with weaknesses, blind spots and faults... just like the rest of us. I'm not going to kick him while he's down.

Last edited:

Nice deflection.
How is it a deflection? He still has the same disease that 'took the Gophers job away from him' today right? And now he's treating it by taking a more difficult job than the Gophers one, and one of the hardest in the FBS? The only deflection is Jerry pretending he's doing something different today.

No, he hasn't "cured his epilepsy". He keeps making attempts to control it better — by losing weight, managing his work load more effectively, etc. — and he tries to put as good a face on it as possible, because he loves coaching and he wants desperately to coach.

Which are the same things he said he was doing when he was coaching here. It never lasted, because of his own choices. No one else's. How has he repayed the U that gave him repeated chances that no other P5 school would? By trashing them every chance he gets.

Last edited:

Is it possible that “Forced” was meant to be health related? He was forced to leave because he had to get in better health, not the U forced him to leave.

So if you have a health issue and it causes you to quit something you love, you did that to yourself? Save the, he went too hard, he even said so himself. He understands that and I’m sure he would do it differently if he could do it again, but not everyone is perfect are they? Oh, and it’s wrong to try and make a comeback? Glad you have such an easy life.

The headline definitely was intended to make it sound like the administration pushed him to retire!

coaching at New Mexico State, is a lot different than coaching a Big Ten team.

Kill seemed to be hands-on workaholic type before, which was probably part of his success throughout his career. The inability to delegate and become more of a mentor/manager type doomed him because of his health issues. I hope the NMSU position allows him to take a less direct coaching role and more of a mentoring role, though I doubt if that's possible in a re-building effort.

I might buy some of this had he stayed out of the coaching ranks for a few years to actually work on his epilepsy. Going right back onto the journeyman coaching route destroyed any credible claim to this argument.

And very few coaches get to go out the way they want to.

Top Bottom