SI: 5 things that stood out in the Gophers' thrilling win over Nebraska

That's a fluke play. The backward pass to Sims could have bounced in any direction resulting in a loss of yardage or a Minnesota recovery.

I was annoyed by the running into the kicker penalty. They came dangerously close twice before it actually happened and then it did. They had plenty of opportunity to back off.

Also, I realize that everybody looked good against Northwestern but would love to see Evans on the field at some point this season. This offense would be lethal if the Gophers had managed to hang on to Bucky.
I thought it was a weak call. At most a running into the kicker. He was just engaged with one of their blockers that lines up right in front of the punter.

Nothing that quirky about the Nebraska TD, yeh QB dropped the backward pass but he was wide open and the WR was wide open in the end zone. Defense blew it on that trick play

That’s the kinda play that Iowa thinks up and beats us when they shouldn’t.
Only because of the fumble. QB wasn't wide open he was covered on LOS. Receiver got open because of the fumble. No fumble, no TD.

Made a whopper with 2:30 to go...
With 2 time outs, on 4th down, he calls a timeout. Now, every OC probably has 25 quality red zone plays in the book, so don't tell me, by the end of the game, they had to "figure one out."
IF the Gophers had turned the ball over on downs, they could have used the 2 timeouts and a stop to get the ball back near midfield with maybe 1:30 left. Plenty of time to score. By taking a timeout, PJ basically gave the game to Nebraska if the 4th down failed.
He got away with it due to a historic catch, but it's these stupid moves against the percentages that WILL cost you games.
This isn't EA Sports, slick.

With 2 time outs, on 4th down, he calls a timeout. Now, every OC probably has 25 quality red zone plays in the book, so don't tell me, by the end of the game, they had to "figure one out."
IF the Gophers had turned the ball over on downs, they could have used the 2 timeouts and a stop to get the ball back near midfield with maybe 1:30 left. Plenty of time to score. By taking a timeout, PJ basically gave the game to Nebraska if the 4th down failed.
He got away with it due to a historic catch, but it's these stupid moves against the percentages that WILL cost you games.
I agreed with the timeout. Make sure you're all on the same page as to what the play will be. Get your guys settled down, ensure there's no miscommunication, and get everyone, including the line, a few seconds to breathe so they can put their all into one last play. Rushing things is where one often makes mistakes.

LOL this is an unbelievably ignorant post.

The defender may have been beat regardless, not sure, however I suspect the dropped backwards pass drew him off his coverage assignment more than if it had been a clean completion.
And what a fortunate bounce for Sims. He didn’t even have to bend over much to get the ball.

So what I believe happened:

Play 1: Nebraska run, looked like it might have been a TD.
Play 2: False start on a run play.

Because the False Start is a dead ball foul, the following play (play 2) "didn't happen", so they could still review Play 1 for the TD.
I got it now - they were reviewing the play before the false start, not the false start that looked like it might have crossed the goal line.

I'm actually inclined to give the Defense the benefit of the doubt on that play. Once that ball hits the turf and is bouncing around behind the LOS, all bets are off, everyone forgets their assignment and it's one big fire drill. Bad break, nothing more than that.
Agree. From the defensive backfield it looks like an incomplete pass or fumbled lateral. If that ball squirts any other way other than a near perfect bounce right to the QB, we aren't even talking about this.

LOL this is an unbelievably ignorant post.

Then you should make an argument, not just a silly internet response.

I get that maybe you weigh whether it is better to have the best play possible on 4th versus making the game do or die on that plan. But it is definitely arguable either way. I think it is possible to have a good play setup for 4th down without having to use the TO and essentially make that play do or die.

It would be nice to see the whole field on that throwback pass to see if the fumble made our guy come off coverage.

1) Sean Tyler "might" be a third down BigTen back but is too small for this RPO offense.
2) Logan Redding, Joyner, Striggow and Eastern are going to be a handful for the opposition.
3) OC Harbaugh needs to call some plays actually designed to make 20+ yards.
4) PJ should be stripped of his time-out calling duties.
5) Greg Johnson or anyone who can move their feet to run block should be inserted on the interior OL, immediately.
Are we still a RPO offense? I agree Tyler is not going to stand out as a between the tackle grinder which is how we tried using him most of the game, but I do think he has talent and plus speed, probably needs to be utilized differently.

I got it now - they were reviewing the play before the false start, not the false start that looked like it might have crossed the goal line.
Don't know about the broadcast, but in the stadium they showed replays of the wrong play (play 2) on the screens.

Top Bottom