SI: 5 things that stood out in the Gophers' thrilling win over Nebraska

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per SI:

1. Athan Kaliakmanis has plenty of weapons​

The new era of Minnesota Gophers football appears to feature less running and more passing, led by redshirt freshman quarterback Athan Kaliakmanis and a talented receiving trio of wide receivers Daniel Jackson and Corey Crooms, and tight end Brevyn Spann-Ford.

2. Running game really struggled​

Gone are the days of Mohamed Ibrahim and the first look at Minnesota's 2023 backfield wasn't impressive as Sean Taylor (transfer from Western Michigan) led the ground game with just 10 carries for 41 yards. He was essentially a non factor until he found room for an 11-yard run to set up Dragan Kesich for the game-winning 47-yard field goal as time expired.

3. Third quarter disaster​

With just under 11 minutes left in the third quarter, the Gophers forced the Cornhuskers to punt only to have a roughing the kicker penalty give the visitors an automatic first down. That was the fourth big problem less than five minutes into the quarter.

4. Tyler Nubin is the real deal​

Nubin has been projected as a potential first-round pick in the 2024 NFL Draft and the star safety started his senior year with a bang, intercepting two passes including one late in the fourth quarter to thwart Nebraska's attempt to run out the clock and win the game on a field goal or touchdown. That interception set the stage for Minnesota to win the game on the walk-off field goal by Kesich.

5. Minnesota's defense looks legit​

Defensive coordinator Joe Rossi had a tough task designing a game plan to stop Nebraska dual-threat quarterback Jeff Sims and he did just that, limiting Sims to 11 of 19 passing for 114 yards and three interceptions.

Go Gophers!!

Per SI:

1. Athan Kaliakmanis has plenty of weapons​

The new era of Minnesota Gophers football appears to feature less running and more passing, led by redshirt freshman quarterback Athan Kaliakmanis and a talented receiving trio of wide receivers Daniel Jackson and Corey Crooms, and tight end Brevyn Spann-Ford.

Gone are the days of Mohamed Ibrahim and the first look at Minnesota's 2023 backfield wasn't impressive as Sean Taylor (transfer from Western Michigan) led the ground game with just 10 carries for 41 yards. He was essentially a non factor until he found room for an 11-yard run to set up Dragan Kesich for the game-winning 47-yard field goal as time expired.

3. Third quarter disaster​

With just under 11 minutes left in the third quarter, the Gophers forced the Cornhuskers to punt only to have a roughing the kicker penalty give the visitors an automatic first down. That was the fourth big problem less than five minutes into the quarter.

4. Tyler Nubin is the real deal​

Nubin has been projected as a potential first-round pick in the 2024 NFL Draft and the star safety started his senior year with a bang, intercepting two passes including one late in the fourth quarter to thwart Nebraska's attempt to run out the clock and win the game on a field goal or touchdown. That interception set the stage for Minnesota to win the game on the walk-off field goal by Kesich.

5. Minnesota's defense looks legit​

Defensive coordinator Joe Rossi had a tough task designing a game plan to stop Nebraska dual-threat quarterback Jeff Sims and he did just that, limiting Sims to 11 of 19 passing for 114 yards and three interceptions.

Go Gophers!!
The only real "fly in the ointment" for the defense was that Nebby touchdown, which quite honestly I chalked up to one of those weird quirky busted plays that occasionally happen in college football. Watching it live from the stands, everyone around me, including Nebraska fans, were like, "What just happened?"

Nothing that quirky about the Nebraska TD, yeh QB dropped the backward pass but he was wide open and the WR was wide open in the end zone. Defense blew it on that trick play

That’s the kinda play that Iowa thinks up and beats us when they shouldn’t.

Our defense looked very good and it is fun to watch this unit really thrive and take over a game when we needed them. Nubin and Walley made big plays when we needed them and it was nice to see the defensive line give some pressure and some sacks.

- Our offense needs to get better, especially in the running game. It might be time to give freshman Darius Taylor a few more carries vs. EMU and see what he can do.

- It was nice to see a few receivers getting open. The offensive line was giving us plenty of time to throw in many cases.

- Nebraska found themselves a guy who can coach and they will get better. Their defense looked pretty good vs. the Gophers and I am looking forward to watching their game next week vs. Colorado. I hope the Huskers beat them, too!

The correct name is Sean Tyler, not Taylor.

6. Refs almost lost this game for Gophs. That missed PI was bad, Jackson got mauled.

Nothing that quirky about the Nebraska TD, yeh QB dropped the backward pass but he was wide open and the WR was wide open in the end zone. Defense blew it on that trick play

The defender may have been beat regardless, not sure, however I suspect the dropped backwards pass drew him off his coverage assignment more than if it had been a clean completion.

The defender may have been beat regardless, not sure, however I suspect the dropped backwards pass drew him off his coverage assignment more than if it had been a clean completion.
Yeah would be interested in seeing the full field shot on that play.

6. Refs almost lost this game for Gophs. That missed PI was bad, Jackson got mauled.
We may have gotten a break on the goal line review of the Nebraska running back being called down short of a TD. Stuff happens in games and you get calls. I would like some clarity on that goal line review though. . I thought a play had been run and That should have precluded the preceding play review.

We may have gotten a break on the goal line review of the Nebraska running back being called down short of a TD. Stuff happens in games and you get calls. I would like some clarity on that goal line review though. . I thought a play had been run and That should have precluded the preceding play review.
That one confused me as well. If it was a false start, what would it have mattered if he crossed the goal line or not? It was a deadball foul. At least that is how I thought it should be.

1) Sean Tyler "might" be a third down BigTen back but is too small for this RPO offense.
2) Logan Redding, Joyner, Striggow and Eastern are going to be a handful for the opposition.
3) OC Harbaugh needs to call some plays actually designed to make 20+ yards.
4) PJ should be stripped of his time-out calling duties.
5) Greg Johnson or anyone who can move their feet to run block should be inserted on the interior OL, immediately.

We benefited from some missed/bad calls too. The replay on the Nebraska potential TD I thought could have been called a score, and we had a pretty egregious false start on the final drive (I believe) that was missed.

1) Sean Tyler "might" be a third down BigTen back but is too small for this RPO offense.
2) Logan Redding, Joyner, Striggow and Eastern are going to be a handful for the opposition.
3) OC Harbaugh needs to call some plays actually designed to make 20+ yards.
4) PJ should be stripped of his time-out calling duties.
5) Greg Johnson or anyone who can move their feet to run block should be inserted on the interior OL, immediately.
Of all the games to rip his TO calling, this to me is probably near the bottom

We benefited from some missed/bad calls too. The replay on the Nebraska potential TD I thought could have been called a score, and we had a pretty egregious false start on the final drive (I believe) that was missed.
Nope. Missed calls exclusively hurt us in every sport every year. None ever go out way. All of the B1G and the NCAA are involved in an elaborate conspiracy to keep the Gophers down.

Sure there were little things missed both ways, but that PI was so obvious. They stopped the game to review whether it was a TD and said it was not. I don't see that as a missed call.

I was annoyed by the running into the kicker penalty. They came dangerously close twice before it actually happened and then it did. They had plenty of opportunity to back off.

Also, I realize that everybody looked good against Northwestern but would love to see Evans on the field at some point this season. This offense would be lethal if the Gophers had managed to hang on to Bucky.

Nope. Missed calls exclusively hurt us in every sport every year. None ever go out way. All of the B1G and the NCAA are involved in an elaborate conspiracy to keep the Gophers down.
Not my point. That was a badly missed call. It's like those out here who think all other teams get better except the Gophs...

The only real "fly in the ointment" for the defense was that Nebby touchdown, which quite honestly I chalked up to one of those weird quirky busted plays that occasionally happen in college football. Watching it live from the stands, everyone around me, including Nebraska fans, were like, "What just happened?"

I'm actually inclined to give the Defense the benefit of the doubt on that play. Once that ball hits the turf and is bouncing around behind the LOS, all bets are off, everyone forgets their assignment and it's one big fire drill. Bad break, nothing more than that.

Of all the games to rip his TO calling, this to me is probably near the bottom
Made a whopper with 2:30 to go...
With 2 time outs, on 4th down, he calls a timeout. Now, every OC probably has 25 quality red zone plays in the book, so don't tell me, by the end of the game, they had to "figure one out."
IF the Gophers had turned the ball over on downs, they could have used the 2 timeouts and a stop to get the ball back near midfield with maybe 1:30 left. Plenty of time to score. By taking a timeout, PJ basically gave the game to Nebraska if the 4th down failed.
He got away with it due to a historic catch, but it's these stupid moves against the percentages that WILL cost you games.

That one confused me as well. If it was a false start, what would it have mattered if he crossed the goal line or not? It was a deadball foul. At least that is how I thought it should be.
So what I believe happened:

Play 1: Nebraska run, looked like it might have been a TD.
Play 2: False start on a run play.

Because the False Start is a dead ball foul, the following play (play 2) "didn't happen", so they could still review Play 1 for the TD.

Made a whopper with 2:30 to go...
With 2 time outs, on 4th down, he calls a timeout. Now, every OC probably has 25 quality red zone plays in the book, so don't tell me, by the end of the game, they had to "figure one out."
IF the Gophers had turned the ball over on downs, they could have used the 2 timeouts and a stop to get the ball back near midfield with maybe 1:30 left. Plenty of time to score. By taking a timeout, PJ basically gave the game to Nebraska if the 4th down failed.
He got away with it due to a historic catch, but it's these stupid moves against the percentages that WILL cost you games.
Unless you are on the headset and seeing how the players are set, you have no idea. Maybe they wanted to talk it over as they were getting a look and they wanted to see if all we’re seeing it.
What that timeout got was a Jackson 1v1 matchup he toasted a DB on and a TD. Your win % adjustment if you have one or two timeouts there is minimal as you have a less than 5% chance either way. Getting your best play call based on the D gets you way more win probability. Would I have rather they knew exactly what that play was on the fly, sure. But that’s something that happens in the NFL with a seasoned qb, not with a college sophomore making his first of a handful of starts. Make the game easier for him. Always.

Top Bottom