Should we be concerned after 16 pt. St. Olaf win?

No! Nobody even cares about this game. Our 2 best players didn't play. Not sure why the question was even asked.
I really don't agree with this take. Your two best players aren't playing is not a good excuse, as a B1G team your remaining starters and bench should not be comparable to a D3 team. Now I am not declaring the sky is falling at this point, but this is clearly not a good sign. I don't care if the reason was "they didn't care", well they should, and it's a bad sign that your team doesn't care any time it steps on the court, especially when you finished in last place the prior season.

I really don't agree with this take. Your two best players aren't playing is not a good excuse, as a B1G team your remaining starters and bench should not be comparable to a D3 team. Now I am not declaring the sky is falling at this point, but this is clearly not a good sign. I don't care if the reason was "they didn't care", well they should, and it's a bad sign that your team doesn't care any time it steps on the court, especially when you finished in last place the prior season.
I'm sure they cared, but still means absolutely nothing in terms of how season will go. What exactly were you looking for? If Garcia played a half and scored 12 and we won by 25 would you feel alot better?

Lots of young guys with little to no experience but with good athleticism and a decent set of skills. All of the freshman showed potential, they are only going to get better. Betts is basically a 17 year old high school senior, if you don't like what you saw from him I don't know what you are looking for.

I have low expectations for this season so I have no concerns for last night's game.

Agree with a lot of posters, I’m not too concerned after last night either. I’m assuming they got a chance to work on a lot of stuff, use different player combinations, etc.

Only thing that caused me concern was Gophers 2-12 shooting 3s in the first half. They weren’t even very contested shots, they just didn’t make them. Second half a lot better at 4-5 (though if memory serves, the miss was an airball…)

St. Olaf was better than I thought. They hit some fairly difficult shots.

MIAC basketball is pretty solid. the one thing they don't have is a lot of big men. If you're 6'8" or taller and have any talent, some D2 school is going to try and get you.

(not like when I was in school. there were a lot of decent big men in the MIAC in the 70's).

as a result, the MIAC plays a more open-court game. I watched Augsburg play several times last year, and it's entertaining. St. John's was a really solid team.

Yes I will
THIS TEAM WILL improve as season goes along, but it will not be good, maybe? Just maybe in 2 years they can be middle of the pack.My expectations are low, just hope Ben is allowed to get 4 or 5 years to try turning this program around.

Another pointless Tony LIEbert tweet he starts an entire thread over, then dips out and doesn’t respond to a single reply.

To me, it was a perfect scrimmage.....they won. Everyone played. Freshman got some experience and looked good. Nobody got hurt. Lots of teaching moments. I'm betting Thorson is going to lose his voice at the next practice yelling about all of the defensive lapses.
Yep! It was the perfect storm. The Gophers would have won by 35-40 at full strength and the newbies wouldn't have logged nearly as many minutes. Still anxious to see Garcia in M/G and what Carrington will bring. Maybe Monday.

No! Nobody even cares about this game. Our 2 best players didn't play. Not sure why the question was even asked.
Really! Wow! This was a perfect opportunity to see the newbies in action. Gain some PT. Guessing the young guys were excited to play. Battle and Garcia are known quantities. Would you rather have watched last nights squad get blown out against Kansas?

Really! Wow! This was a perfect opportunity to see the newbies in action. Gain some PT. Guessing the young guys were excited to play. Battle and Garcia are known quantities. Would you rather have watched last nights squad get blown out against Kansas?
I think we can hang with Kansas.

A better question: should we be concerned BEFORE 16 pt St Olaf win?

Top Bottom