Should Tubby Smith be on the hotseat?

Article seems true, except I dont agree with the part about the Louisville win last year and the OSU not being ranked at the time. They had Turner back when we beat them.

Not right now.. If we don't improve next season then its a possibility

The article also tries to make it sound like Louisville played the night before we were to play them last year. I do believe they had a day off didn't they?

The article also tries to make it sound like Louisville played the night before we were to play them last year. I do believe they had a day off didn't they?

You are correct - according to this link:

http://www.uoflsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/archive/lou-m-baskbl-sched-2008.html

They played Cincinnati on the 18th, and us on the 20th. 2 games in 48 hours - but not like the article implied, a 9pm game, and a 2pm game the following day.

I personally count our OSU win as a victory over a top 25 team - they did have Turner as Gopherbadgerman said (which I think many forget) and it matters how you finish, not how you start.

if we miss the tourny next year he may be in a little hotter seat but i still think he'll get the benefit of the doubt no matter what

Tubby isn't on the hot seat, and he won't be on the hot seat. Tubby's won 20 games here his first two years, and before it's over, I'm not betting against him finding a way to get to 20 wins again this year.

In contrast, in 7+ seasons with the Gophers, Dan Monson only got to that threshold once. Clem did it seven times, though only two of them counted. Dutcher before him got there three times, but only two of them counted. Musselman did it only once. No other coach before him so much as got to 20 wins.

So, if you take out the vacated wins, Tubby could do what no other coach in Gopher history has ever done, which is win 20 games three different seasons legitimately (or so we hope to assume).

Tubby isn't on the hot seat, and he won't be on the hot seat. Tubby's won 20 games here his first two years, and before it's over, I'm not betting against him finding a way to get to 20 wins again this year.

In contrast, in 7+ seasons with the Gophers, Dan Monson only got to that threshold once. Clem did it seven times, though only two of them counted. Dutcher before him got there three times, but only two of them counted. Musselman did it only once. No other coach before him so much as got to 20 wins.

So, if you take out the vacated wins, Tubby could do what no other coach in Gopher history has ever done, which is win 20 games three different seasons legitimately (or so we hope to assume).

I don't think Tubby is on the hotseat. Actually, I think that is an absurd thought at this point.

However, ATTF, while I agree with your premise, and assuming your stats are correct, are the numbers all "apples-to-apples?" The Gophers played fewer games the farther back you go - here is a sampling:

1960–61 10–13 8–6 No postseason
1965–66 14–10 7–7 No postseason
1970–71 11–13 5–9 No postseason
1975–76 16–10 8–10 No postseason
1980–81 19–11 9–9 NIT 3rd Round
1985–86 15–16 5–13 No postseason
1990–91 12–16 5–13 No postseason
1995–96 19–11 10–8 NIT 2nd Round
2000–01 18–14 5–11 NIT 2nd Round
2005–06 16–15 5–11 NIT 2nd Round
2008–09 22–11 9–9 NCAA 1st Round

First of all, this is just a fans (or non-fan) on the situation. The guy is not a beat writer or employed to write about college basketball. Bleacher Report is not really any different than a post made by GopherManic (haven't seen him in awhile). Here's the authors profile:

http://bleacherreport.com/users/140693-kevin-lindsey

My opinion? Royce would be playing for most universities serious about winning basketball games right now. If that were the case, the Gophers would certainly be in the tournament right now and might be doing much better than that. Tubby has had some very poor moments this year and I hold him partially responsible for Al Nolen being ineligible. Don't get me wrong: Al is 100% responsible for his actions, but its Tubby's program and he should have been aware that Al was in danger and he should have been sitting out (if that was necessary) to get his 1st semester grades in order. We certainly didn't need Nolen for much of our non-conference schedule. I've also been very disappointed with some of the late game decisions and strategy exhibited by coach Smith this year. That said, his decision to implement the zone has been nothing sort of brilliant and I've been very impressed that the team has played so hard the last 2 weeks despite being such a longshot for the tournament. My confidence in Tubby Smith was shaken following the terrible performances at home against Michigan and at Northwestern, but I feel much better about him today. I am still slightly concerned about recruiting for 2010 and beyond, but if Royce does come back for 2010 that is a good start.

While the article is actually OK, the headline is ridiculous as is this thread. Tubby totally exceeded expectations his first two years. Add that to his probable Hall-of-Fame resume built prior to arriving here, and he has significant cushion. Now consider that despite a season filled with off-court distractions which were only in small measure his doing, close losses and a good dose of bad luck, we are still on the bubble fighting for an NCAA bid in the final week of the season. Many teams would have gone in the tank a few weeks ago. Tubby's team didn't. It might be one of his finer coaching jobs, especially if they can close the deal and get that NCAA bid afterall.

First of all, this is just a fans (or non-fan) on the situation. The guy is not a beat writer or employed to write about college basketball. Bleacher Report is not really any different than a post made by GopherManic (haven't seen him in awhile). Here's the authors profile:

http://bleacherreport.com/users/140693-kevin-lindsey

My opinion? Royce would be playing for most universities serious about winning basketball games right now. If that were the case, the Gophers would certainly be in the tournament right now and might be doing much better than that. Tubby has had some very poor moments this year and I hold him partially responsible for Al Nolen being ineligible. Don't get me wrong: Al is 100% responsible for his actions, but its Tubby's program and he should have been aware that Al was in danger and he should have been sitting out (if that was necessary) to get his 1st semester grades in order. We certainly didn't need Nolen for much of our non-conference schedule. I've also been very disappointed with some of the late game decisions and strategy exhibited by coach Smith this year. That said, his decision to implement the zone has been nothing sort of brilliant and I've been very impressed that the team has played so hard the last 2 weeks despite being such a longshot for the tournament. My confidence in Tubby Smith was shaken following the terrible performances at home against Michigan and at Northwestern, but I feel much better about him today. I am still slightly concerned about recruiting for 2010 and beyond, but if Royce does come back for 2010 that is a good start.

Coaches and staff were aware of Nolen's status but Nolen has to do the work. He didn't.

Crazy talk. Anyone who actually watches the games now and during the Monson years knows that we are vastly improved. A bump in the road this season due to the off the court distractions but the season is not over and we are peaking at the right time. Isn't that what you want out of a team? Anyway, if the Gopher's were to force Tubby out (not going to happen...ever) then I'm out too.

If it took Maturi five years to fire Monson then one of Tubby's grandkids will be ready to coach the team by the time the AD makes the move.

Maturi will likely be gone before Tubby. Lets hope anyway. Unless Tubby goes to DePaul or some other school, he will be here for a while....

I haven't read the article, because I usually shy away from opinionated Bleacher Report articles. It can be a fun site, for sure, but as far as journalism is concerned it is at the bottom of the totem pole.

To the topic at hand: Not at all. Have to keep in mind we would need a replacement that would be an improvement which would be hard to find, and we would be even less attractive to upper echelon coaches if we fired Tubby after such a short tenure, considering what he did the last two years.

Maturi will likely be gone before Tubby. Lets hope anyway. Unless Tubby goes to DePaul or some other school, he will be here for a while....

Oh boy, here we go again. :rolleyes:

Crazy talk. Anyone who actually watches the games now and during the Monson years knows that we are vastly improved. A bump in the road this season due to the off the court distractions but the season is not over and we are peaking at the right time. Isn't that what you want out of a team? Anyway, if the Gopher's were to force Tubby out (not going to happen...ever) then I'm out too.

No Kidding. I don't see the same articles about Michigan's coach who has two of the best players in the country in its roster????

I think even suggesting that Tubby should be on the hotseat is extremely silly.

Does anyone else remember what this team was like in Monson's last year? 3 years later we are playing with and beating the best teams in the Big 10. We hadn't beaten Wisconsin in 17 years before last year. We had dropped 19 straight to Illinois until last year. Why would Tubby be on the hotseat after turning what was a bottom of the barrel Big 10 team into a legitimate NCAA tournament team?

The only way Tubby is on a hot seat is if his a*s is sitting on a camp fire. If this team, warts and all, gets to the NCAA Tournament, Tubby will have done one of his finest coaching jobs, bar none.

If it took Maturi five years to fire Monson then one of Tubby's grandkids will be ready to coach the team by the time the AD makes the move.

Tubby and Donna have no grandchildren. Maybe Prez Obama will be available to coach Gophers in 2013?

The DePaul story is utterly false. Stop spreading it around as if it were true. IT'S NOT!!!

Do people take Bleacher Report seriously? I don't think any of the writers for that site do any actual research, or have any idea what they are talking about. They print rumors all the time and state them as facts, and every article is full of mistakes.

Do people take Bleacher Report seriously? I don't think any of the writers for that site do any actual research, or have any idea what they are talking about.

No, and that's why.

If Tubby gets the Gophers in the NCAA tournament I think he should be in the conversation for Coach of the Year.

The idea that Tubby would take another job is absurd.
Tubby will finish his coaching career at Minn.

Tubby is not in the hot seat and he shouldn't be.
First off it is to soon for Tubby or any coach to be in the hot seat.

Next year this team becomes more Tubby's and less Monson's
If the Gophers are having seasons like this and not making the NCAA after
5 years when the team and all recruits and players are completely Tubby's
then you can talk about the hot seat.
( I refer to a season like this above if they DO NOT make the NCAA Tourney. If they DO make
it then I think this year will be considered a success. Perhaps not as good as hoped, but a
success none the less )

HOW DARE THE GOPHERHOLE EXPERTS....Come on here and complain about a Coach who has been thru his life with more than most can comprehend, and some of us have the audacity to question this Hall of Fame Coach. Shame on the Board Commentors.

Well stated ... amen. Tubby is a great coach and a class act, but good people can have bad luck!

Top Bottom