Should Pitino tell anyone to transfer at the end of the year?

Totally Absurd to think Pitino should force anyone out. First of all he does not have a plethora of 4 and 5 star recruits lining up to play here. Last month he damn near brought in a ESPN 1 star recruit Carson Shanks to possibly earn a scholly. The gophs are so short of live bodies that Pitino has a non productive walk on a scholly . Think People!

Last year after Coleman left we had two scholarships available and we ended up with King, we already have two scholarships available and people want to run additional players off, crazy.

Last year after Coleman left we had two scholarships available and we ended up with King, we already have two scholarships available and people want to run additional players off, crazy.

Go ahead and ignore the fact we are after 5 good spring recruits and the possibility of adding a graduate transfer or low APR transfer.

Good point. Oto was brought in after Paul Carter transferred, and Mav was brought in after Cobb transferred. We were desperate and we filled those two spots with bad players because of it. All those transfers are still haunting us. :cry:

Very true.

However, we need to recognize there are two types of spring recruiting. There is desperation recruiting, where you have an unforeseen hole in your roster so you scramble to find the best player available to fill that hole. Most of the time, these players don't have much of a relationship with a coaching staff and are offered scholarships into leagues above the ability. The recruiting process for these players can literally take days or weeks. This is bad spring recruiting.

There is also the scenario that is exactly the same as fall recruiting. Coaches identify roster needs or weaknesses in advance. The coaches recruit players to fill these needs for months if not years. Sometimes these players are just as good as fall players, but they simply wait until spring to make a decision like Rashad Vaughn. Other times, these players aren't recognized for being the high level players that they are until late the players' high school career because these players bloomed late or didn't receive much exposure, think Djuan Piper. This is good spring recruiting.

Pitino isn't in bad spring recruiting territory. He's in good spring recruiting territory.

Forgot Oto was our spring recruit to replace Carter. What a horrible trade that was.

Go ahead and ignore the fact we are after 5 good spring recruits and the possibility of adding a graduate transfer or low APR transfer.

How many of these top 4 and 5 star recruits have the Gophers signed so far this year, oh yeah, none, but lets open up more spots, because I just know they are coming.

How many of these top 4 and 5 star recruits have the Gophers signed so far this year, oh yeah, none, but lets open up more spots, because I just know they are coming.

You clearly don't follow our recruiting.

Do I have to post Oto's line from last night again? I'd take anyone Pitino is recruiting over Oto.

Go ahead and ignore the fact that we already have two spots open. But you hold on to that dream that the Gophers can grab all the 3 and 4 star players out there as long as we have spots. After all, there is no reason to think we can't unless you ignore the fact that there are no other programs after them. And our horrendous play of late coupled with recruits coming in with snow up to their asses and freezing their balls off will make Minnesota even more attractive. Pitino can get anyone he wants. Look at Tum Tum. Wait, don't. That's right, Izzo swooped in and got him at the end. But that could never happen again. He can offer an opportunity, but so can other schools. Also, to you, timing isn't even a factor. We dump players with no guarantee of replacement?

This isn't the frickin' NBA where you run around trading bodies. 6 new players and all will be better! We can upgrade if Pitino gets lucky with one, maybe two if he's really fortunate. Beyond that, you're just trading mediocrity for mediocrity even if you can find that many bodies. Seen some idiotic and delusional posts. This is Top 10.

Another casualty of our education confusing being "after" with actually obtaining . The gophs were "after "several high 4 stars and 5 star kids last year they obtained none of their top targets. Pretty stupid to run off players for dudes that we are after, not to mention bad karma. Anas Osama Mahmoud is a rivals 3 star ESPN 4 star so he would be a good get, Piper is a rivals no star and ESPN 4 star. That pretty much sums up the top 150 unsigned kids we are mentioned with.. far cry from 5 kids good enough to help next year and chomping at the bit to sign with us.

Go ahead and ignore the fact that we already have two spots open. But you hold on to that dream that the Gophers can grab all the 3 and 4 star players out there as long as we have spots. After all, there is no reason to think we can't unless you ignore the fact that there are no other programs after them. And our horrendous play of late coupled with recruits coming in with snow up to their asses and freezing their balls off will make Minnesota even more attractive. Pitino can get anyone he wants. Look at Tum Tum. Wait, don't. That's right, Izzo swooped in and got him at the end. But that could never happen again. He can offer an opportunity, but so can other schools. Also, to you, timing isn't even a factor. We dump players with no guarantee of replacement?

This isn't the frickin' NBA where you run around trading bodies. 6 new players and all will be better! We can upgrade if Pitino gets lucky with one, maybe two if he's really fortunate. Beyond that, you're just trading mediocrity for mediocrity even if you can find that many bodies. Seen some idiotic and delusional posts. This is Top 10.

I'm not assuming we sign anyone. I just think Oto doesn't offer the program anything and I don't see him playing at all next year. King has already passed him and Martin is going to get every opportunity to start over King next year. There is also the possibility that Buggs gets a handful of PF minutes. I'd rather Pitino use Oto's scholarship on one of the 5 recruits we are currently after or hold the scholarship just in case an automatic qualifier (via APR waiver or graduate transfer) becomes available. If Oto decides he wants to stay so be it.

Another casualty of our education confusing being "after" with actually obtaining . The gophs were "after "several high 4 stars and 5 star kids last year they obtained none of their top targets. Pretty stupid to run off players for dudes that we are after, not to mention bad karma. Anas Osama Mahmoud is a rivals 3 star ESPN 4 star so he would be a good get, Piper is a rivals no star and ESPN 4 star. That pretty much sums up the top 150 unsigned kids we are mentioned with.. far cry from 5 kids good enough to help next year and chomping at the bit to sign with us.

Good post. You easily could have summed it up by saying, "Don't count your chickens before they hatch."

Also, don't forget about Kobe Eubanks.

Do I have to post Oto's line from last night again? I'd take anyone Pitino is recruiting over Oto.

Rumor has it Coach P. was on staff at Florida when Oto was offered a scholarship there. I have no idea where we may pick up an additional scholarship, but I'm guessing it won't come from a 5th year senior PF. The Carter for Oto trade, may even up next season.

This is the type of production we'd be replacing...

Oto Osenieks, F 7 0-4 0-2 0-0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Not only has King taken Oto's starting spot, he has taken a majority of the minutes at PF. Last night King played 33 minutes, Oto played 7. Pitino knows Oto doesn't offer much and his playing time will be even less next year when we have Josh Martin on the roster.

I think the point people are trying to make is that what if we don't get enough of the players Pitino is recruiting to fill the open spots? So if we open up another scholarship by pushing Oto off the team and only sign two targeted players, one of two things will happen:

1. We leave it open. If that's the case, why not have another body on the team just in case? Oto would graduate next year anyways.

2. We sign someone last minute we really weren't recruiting (just like we did with Oto and Maverick) and have them on the team for four years. This doesn't help us at all.

I think the point people are trying to make is that what if we don't get enough of the players Pitino is recruiting to fill the open spots? So if we open up another scholarship by pushing Oto off the team and only sign two targeted players, one of two things will happen:

1. We leave it open. If that's the case, why not have another body on the team just in case? Oto would graduate next year anyways.

2. We sign someone last minute we really weren't recruiting (just like we did with Oto and Maverick) and have them on the team for four years. This doesn't help us at all.

Yeah I get that people are afraid of that outcome. I am not afraid of Pitino signing a player just to sign a player. Those types of situations tend to happen when a player unexpectedly decide to transfer and the coaching staff is caught off guard. That wouldn't be the case with Oto. Oto wouldn't announce a transfer until the season is over, which is still a month or so away. At that point Pitino should have a good idea of where he is with the two scholarships that are already open. If it looks like he's easily going to fill them then I think it would make a lot of sense to tell Oto he's welcome to stay, but he shouldn't expect any more playing time than Mav received this year. Then we either end up with another good recruit that Pitino has been actively recruiting, an immediate transfer (graduate, low APR, or waiver), or we hold the scholarship open just in case a player wants to transfer mid season (ie Devoe, Behan, etc.). I would prefer all 3 of those scenarios over a 5th year of Oto. But like I have said, if Oto decides to stay so be it.

Yeah I get that people are afraid of that outcome. I am not afraid of Pitino signing a player just to sign a player. Those types of situations tend to happen when a player unexpectedly decide to transfer and the coaching staff is caught off guard. That wouldn't be the case with Oto. Oto wouldn't announce a transfer until the season is over, which is still a month or so away. At that point Pitino should have a good idea of where he is with the two scholarships that are already open. If it looks like he's easily going to fill them then I think it would make a lot of sense to tell Oto he's welcome to stay, but he shouldn't expect any more playing time than Mav received this year. Then we either end up with another good recruit that Pitino has been actively recruiting, an immediate transfer (graduate, low APR, or waiver), or we hold the scholarship open just in case a player wants to transfer mid season (ie Devoe, Behan, etc.). I would prefer all 3 of those scenarios over a 5th year of Oto. But like I have said, if Oto decides to stay so be it.

I think that the reality is that he is only going to be ask players to move on if he has commitments from better ones. If he can't get somebody better than Oto than Oto will play it out here- for example- and he will wait until the next group of recuits. I don't think he is going to take any more players just to take them. I think King was that situation but we were completely desperate for a body at PF.

I think that the reality is that he is only going to be ask players to move on if he has commitments from better ones. If he can't get somebody better than Oto than Oto will play it out here- for example- and he will wait until the next group of recuits. I don't think he is going to take any more players just to take them. I think King was that situation but we were completely desperate for a body at PF.

We can't find anyone better than Oto? Sweet Jesus that is depressing.

:cry::cry::cry:

We can't find anyone better than Oto? Sweet Jesus that is depressing.

:cry::cry::cry:

I know, right? I have quite a bit of confidence that Pitino, with all of his connections, could find someone more worthy of a roster spot than Oto.

I can't remember where I read this, but somewhere Pitino said he wasn't into signing a player just to have a body on the bench.

I can't remember where I read this, but somewhere Pitino said he wasn't into signing a player just to have a body on the bench.

Who is?

He probably views Oto as just a body on the bench going into next season.

I know, right? I have quite a bit of confidence that Pitino, with all of his connections, could find someone more worthy of a roster spot than Oto.

Me too. The key is don't tie up 4 year schollys to get a slight upgrade to a bench player. Think big upgrade- or wait. Unless you can get a plug and play graduate transfer or Juco...

Me too. The key is don't tie up 4 year schollys to get a slight upgrade to a bench player. Think big upgrade- or wait. Unless you can get a plug and play graduate transfer or Juco...

I dont think you will see any surprises with the current 2 open schollies. If any others open up, I believe they will be filled with veteran, immediate impact players. I am sure Pitino will use the Iowa State model to a certain extent next year. His long term success depends on a quick turnaround. By the way, I wouldnt sleep on Torian Graham yet.

I dont think you will see any surprises with the current 2 open schollies. If any others open up, I believe they will be filled with veteran, immediate impact players. I am sure Pitino will use the Iowa State model to a certain extent next year. His long term success depends on a quick turnaround. By the way, I wouldnt sleep on Torian Graham yet.

Interesting, you don't think his arrest would keep Pitino from going after him? Have we offered him? He seems like he'd be a good Juco pick up from a talent perspective.

Interesting, you don't think his arrest would keep Pitino from going after him? Have we offered him? He seems like he'd be a good Juco pick up from a talent perspective.

Pitino is starting to coach a little out of character right now. It is due to inconsistant veteran play. If this doesnt change, there will be a greater desire to bring in players that can do what he wants.
Outside of the arrest, Graham is a decent kid. Missouri has cooled on him, and Kentucky hasnt offered. I actually think the arrest, if no serious consequences, help our chances.

I know some are pretty passionate about not forcing players out the door, but I think it's a different situation when a new coach takes over and some of the players just flat out don't fit the system. I am hoping Pitino tells Oto to transfer (assuming he graduates) and would not be opposed to him telling Buggs to transfer if he doesn't see him developing into a useful player. I doubt EE and Mo transfer, but at this point it wouldn't be devastating if one of them did (particularly EE). Obviously Dre fits and is one of the few quality players Tubby left for us.

At the end of the day this program is not going to get turned around until Pitino has an opportunity to bring in his type of players and the sooner he is able to do that the better. No sense in having upperclassmen like Oto on the roster if they are just going to ride the bench, especially if they could transfer and play immediately.

What say you?

Fair question(s), but...

...these are heavy opinions, and perhaps best to keep to yourself, or at least not post on a forum where players and their parents visit. I'm sure whether players go or stay will have little to do with you posting something here, but certainly you making them the subject of a post like this, which strikes right at the heart of their character, will probably get back to them, and in the end, we're all Gophers, right? Some things are better left unsaid.

Fair question(s), but...

...these are heavy opinions, and perhaps best to keep to yourself, or at least not post on a forum where players and their parents visit. I'm sure whether players go or stay will have little to do with you posting something here, but certainly you making them the subject of a post like this, which strikes right at the heart of their character, will probably get back to them, and in the end, we're all Gophers, right? Some things are better left unsaid.

Welp, seems like it's time to shut down GH.

Top Bottom