Should Pitino tell anyone to transfer at the end of the year?

Yeah I realize that. I'd also add in the fact that these players would also have to ride the bench for a coach that never recruited them and thus never wanted them on the team. That along with the other reasons listed would make the alternatives that much more attractive.

From a basketball only standpoint, for sure. But there can always be other factors like friends, girlfriend, academics, etc. Maybe he loves the U (I mean, who wouldn't?).

The 14/15 season and 2015 class will be big in determining the direction pitino goes with this team, at some point recruits won't be interested in you anymore if you can't win, so if its lack of talent that is the issue, he needs to get on these recruits now while he still has the up and coming coach angle to sell recruits.

You don't know what you're talking about. You haven't for weeks.

As for the OP. I don't think it matters right now; therefore, let them stay. Adding more freshman as spring recruits to take Buggs' spot or Oto's spot won't improve the team much for next season. We also don't want to rely on too many freshman in any season.

Unless you're replacing said players with guaranteed difference-makers, asking Oto and Buggs to transfer won't make much of a differnce regarding next season's success.

My biggest fear after firing Tubby was it was going to turn into a glen mason situation, where get hit in the face hard about how lucky we were to have said coach. I really, really hope this program doesn't bottom out, I really appreciated what Tubby did to this program and where he put them. A lot of people forget where this program was before Tubby got here, I don't want to return to that state of basketball. I have only started following the football this year since the glen mason firing, I don't want to abandon the basketball program for the same reasons

That's silly for a coupe reasons. Gopher basketball is not Gopher football. Glen Mason brought us from at least a decade of utter incompetence to respectability. It probably wasn't realistic to expect more. Every Gopher basketball coach in the last 40 years has led us to at least once NCAA appearance, even Monson. Tubby did not take us to some unforeseen height. Yes, Mason's last season was a disaster, but we were in the NCAA tournament 20 months before he got fired. Let's not make it worse than it was.

Second, whether Pitino succeeds or fails, his hire made significantly more sense than Brewster's when it was made.

I'm not going to shed a tear if Oto transfers of his own accord. But we already have 2 open scholarships. What makes us think we can fill 3? There's probably no need to shove anyone overboard and it can be used as a negative recruiting tool as well.

I hate that about our state and our sports attitude of; wait until we get rid of what we have, then we will be good.

Just wait for Buxton and Sano. They will save us. Just wait for Johnny Manziel to C. Patterson. That will save us. Just wait until Love and Rubio are both healthy. They will save us. Wait, scratch that last one.

I don't recall exactly who it was, but was king the one who didn't want walk on position? I know we needed a PF for this year, but even at time it was announced he'd sign here, I just wasn't a fan of it, he is only a sophomore, which means he has that scholarship tied up another 2 years. Its bad the ncaa rejected the FIU PF, he would have been nice here, and his scholarship would have been available right away. I'm just sick of bad signings, Tubby was the worst at that, just signing bodies because we need them, and I want to do away with that trend completly. If you can find B1G caliber players, just hold on to the scholarship or at worse get a 1 year transfer

I hate that about our state and our sports attitude of; wait until we get rid of what we have, then we will be good.
So the sports attitude of accepting, settling for, praising mediocrity is better? Should we hang banners for 9-9 conference finishes? Throw victory parades because we made the NCAA tournament and lost on the first weekend, likely the first game?

The "wait until" attitude that you hate sounds like people being optimistic to me, hoping for better. What is wrong with that? It's easy to predict doom and gloom and failure and then be the first in line to say "I told you so!"

I don't recall exactly who it was, but was king the one who didn't want walk on position? I know we needed a PF for this year, but even at time it was announced he'd sign here, I just wasn't a fan of it, he is only a sophomore, which means he has that scholarship tied up another 2 years. Its bad the ncaa rejected the FIU PF, he would have been nice here, and his scholarship would have been available right away. I'm just sick of bad signings, Tubby was the worst at that, just signing bodies because we need them, and I want to do away with that trend completly. If you can find B1G caliber players, just hold on to the scholarship or at worse get a 1 year transfer

Dear Lord, I hope you aren't actually saying we shouldn't have signed Joey King this year....

No where near the point of worrying about that. This season would be worse if Tubby were here. No Mathieu and a 300 pound Mo? Yikes.

And no Malik or King. Probably 4 of our top 5 maybe 6 guys right now, and Rakeem Buckles as well, even though he didn't get the waiver still a good move by the coaches to try to get a guy like that.

That's assuming the player would want to leave. Who knows, maybe Oto loves it at the U and wants to stay no matter what his playing situation is.

I'm not saying that will happen, but telling a guy he probably won't play next year doesn't automatically mean he will want to leave either.

If Oto wanted to walk on next year he would only need to take one class, I'm sure his sugar mama could pay the 1,946.00 for a three credit course if Oto wanted to walk on. I say this knowing there's about a 2% chance this scenario plays out.

If Oto wanted to walk on next year he would only need to take one class, I'm sure his sugar mama could pay the 1,946.00 for a three credit course if Oto wanted to walk on. I say this knowing there's about a 2% chance this scenario plays out.
We would need to find a graduate transfer or a JUCO, I don't think Pitino wants to sign that many spring recruits his first year year.... Unless things drastically change and we've got some high level players that want to commit here.

There's a lot of double sided talk in this thread. When the Gophers were winning and looking good, it was Pitino who was turning the players into all stars cause Tubby was such a horrible coach. Now when the Gophers are losing, it's the players fault and they need to transfer. If Pitino is praised when they win, then he should be held equally responsible when they collapse.

There's a lot of double sided talk in this thread. When the Gophers were winning and looking good, it was Pitino who was turning the players into all stars cause Tubby was such a horrible coach. Now when the Gophers are losing, it's the players fault and they need to transfer. If Pitino is praised when they win, then he should be held equally responsible when they collapse.

This. Pitino was never as brilliant as some were making him out to be and the talent didn't suddenly become terrible. This is a talented but flawed team, and Pitino is a promising young coach, not second coming. This team's collapse falls on the players and the coach and is disappointing, whether or not it should have been expected.

This. Pitino was never as brilliant as some were making him out to be and the talent didn't suddenly become terrible. This is a talented but flawed team, and Pitino is a promising young coach, not second coming. This team's collapse falls on the players and the coach and is disappointing, whether or not it should have been expected.

These are both pretty good takes. I think the issue is that people are extremely frustrated that Tubby is gone, and yet we are still seeing a February collapse. That was a huge criticism of him. Now that he's gone and it is still happening, the natural tendency would be to find the common factor, which is the players. I think in some ways this is fair - they are probably pretty negative when a team goes on a huge run against them like today and think "here we go again" (I know I do). I'm not sure there is an easy way to turn that around. I think fault lies with both sides. The coach needs to motivate, encourage, and get the most out of these guys; the players just need to put on their big boy pants and win some big late season games.

A little patience in needed. I can't specifically remember individuals, but aren't the players discussed spring signees? Now get rid of a couple more so you can add more spring signees? Idiotic. Cost Tubby big time as there was absolutely no depth. There aren't that many players out there now, and it's not like the Gophers are the only school after them.

A little patience in needed. I can't specifically remember individuals, but aren't the players discussed spring signees? Now get rid of a couple more so you can add more spring signees? Idiotic. Cost Tubby big time as there was absolutely no depth. There aren't that many players out there now, and it's not like the Gophers are the only school after them.

Mav, Chip and Oto were unranked players, some of these guys we're talking about are considered four star recruits or high threes. I know stars equate to success, but I'll take my chances with that type of talent, especially if they're here for four years

Many times spring recruits are signed out of desperation like a few of the players we have, but the ones we are going after now and want to replace them with are much, much more highly regarded than the ones Tubby got. Not the same thing and certainly not idiotc.

I completely agree with you. The board is also evolving after each loss to where most will now admit that Coach P. is a mere mortal and not born in Bethlehem. We've has a little problem here with overzealous thought control.

I completely agree with you. The board is also evolving after each loss to where most will now admit that Coach P. is a mere mortal and not born in Bethlehem. We've has a little problem here with overzealous thought control.

Kinda like you wanting to run Morris off campus before he even arrives

I'm curious as to why the OP states it wouldn't be devastating if either Mo or EE transfer. This line of thinking makes no sense to me. I'd say the only problem with these two has absolutely nothing to do with them and absolutely everything to do with King and Oto. EE is 26th in the country in Block% at 10.8%. He's also 42nd in the country in DRebounding% at 24.4%. And while it's not nearly that high, he is 150th in the country in ORebounding% at 11.7%. These are some pretty good numbers. Looking at Mo, he is not nearly as good at blocking shots (6.3%) but he is still a good rebounder with OR% of 12.6% (not ranked, likely due to him not playing much til conference play) and DR% of 15.1%.

Let's compare some of these numbers with King and Oto. King has a Blk% of 1.7%, OR% of 5.4%, and DR% of 9.5%. Oto has a Blk% of 2%, OR% of 4.9%, and DR% of 13.5%. I can't take the time to be sure, but the only only one of these numbers that is even close to decent for a PF is Oto's DR% of 13.5%. King's DR% is so bad that it is SECOND WORST ON THE TEAM! The only person he is a better rebounder than is 5'9" Deandre Mathieu! These two are SO bad at rebounding and defense that they make us look at Mo and EE and think they are contributing to the problem!

Also, none of my argument so far has even considered the fact that if either Mo or EE transfer, we are left with only one center next year. (NOTE: I remember reading about some transferring here, but don't know anything about him). Unless we are definitely signing one of the two (or both!) foreign centers, this scenario would be absolutely disastrous. We already have absolutely no depth in the front court and you think having one of the few players in the front court with any skill wouldn't be devastating? This makes absolutely no sense to me.

Almost as bad as those who keep acting like MN sports fans are so different than other fan bases. We're not.

If the Badgers football and basketball teams have had the recent history we've had, their fans would be acting the same way. It's always easy to say so and so have such great fans when their teams are consistently winning.

Totally Absurd to think Pitino should force anyone out. First of all he does not have a plethora of 4 and 5 star recruits lining up to play here. Last month he damn near brought in a ESPN 1 star recruit Carson Shanks to possibly earn a scholly. The gophs are so short of live bodies that Pitino has a non productive walk on a scholly . Think People!

Totally Absurd to think Pitino should force anyone out. First of all he does not have a plethora of 4 and 5 star recruits lining up to play here. Last month he damn near brought in a ESPN 1 star recruit Carson Shanks to possibly earn a scholly. The gophs are so short of live bodies that Pitino has a non productive walk on a scholly . Think People!

Shanks was never guaranteed a scholarship. He'd join as a walk on and have to earn it. And as many have noted we are after a number of really good recruits right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Kinda like you wanting to run Morris off campus before he even arrives

I'm pretty sure in the not too distance future, we will be able to discuss recruits, watch film etc., just like the football side of the house.

Funny how things have changed so drastically in a month.

A few weeks ago: EE has improved so much he's the second coming of Bill Walton; Mailik Smith is knocking down 3's from unlimited range and looking like a go to guy when the game's on the line; Big Mo looks like a bench player in the MIAC; Oto looks competent at the 4 spot and is even showing some offense.

Now it looks like a train wreck.

Shanks was never guaranteed a scholarship. He'd join as a walk on and have to earn it. And as many have noted we are after a number of really good recruits right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

The only site I could find, 247 Sports, has our current recruiting class of Martin, Mason, and Morris ranked as 65th in the nation. I would not be surprised at anything that happens between now and May. I'm guessing we sign 3 more. 2 wings and a big.

Many times spring recruits are signed out of desperation like a few of the players we have, but the ones we are going after now and want to replace them with are much, much more highly regarded than the ones Tubby got. Not the same thing and certainly not idiotc.

Good point. Oto was brought in after Paul Carter transferred, and Mav was brought in after Cobb transferred. We were desperate and we filled those two spots with bad players because of it. All those transfers are still haunting us. :cry:

Top Bottom