Shots Fired by PJ Fleck on His Culture Critics

We can do without the extremely overused "culture" word now. We got it, coach loves the term for lack of a different one and many of the rubes worship it bit its time to move off of it. Every single coach, leader, manager uses this term to explain success.
Normally, I might agree with you... but I will say, PJ Fleck is one of the few coaches who actually walks the walk, so to speak. "Culture" is definitely not just a buzz word for him. There's many (in here, included) who abhor that "culture" of his, but he owns it... lock, stock & barrel.

As long as those players of his keep handing the ball to the officials, as well as continue to do exceptionally well in the classroom... I'm buying in.

Last edited:

You don't have to like it, but if it works I think you have got to respect it. People like Scott Frost and
others that badmouth Fleck and then lose come across as extremely foolish at the end of the day. It was sort of like Tim Brewster badmouthing Bret Bielema and then losing to him every year just look stupid and I wish they would shut up!! lol.

Just finished rewatching the Nebby game on BTN.

I think it's nearly impossible to overestimate just how bad the Huskers are. Martinez might pile up stats in games, but when it's crunch time... he's absolutely brutal.
I rewatched it, too. And dam were we fortunate.

They get in on the goal line, and we'd have been cooked.

Martinez missed getting it in by inches, and if the running back doesn't trip...........gawd, let's just take the win and move on.

Just finished rewatching the Nebby game on BTN.

I think it's nearly impossible to overestimate just how bad the Huskers are. Martinez might pile up stats in games, but when it's crunch time... he's absolutely brutal.
Why am I not surprised this is your takeaway from the game?

I mean do we get any credit at all? Defense held Martinez to -17 yards rushing, far and away the lowest rushing total he has had since the 2018 season, so maybe, just maybe the Gophers had something to do with what happened on Saturday.

Nebraska is not a great team but they are also not a bad team. They have had 3 close losses to teams currently ranked in the top 10. Have lost on the road to a good Minnesota team and blown out 3 bad teams. The only odd result in their schedule is a loss to Illinois in game 1. They are a solid team and firmly seated in the middle part of the conference.

You don't have to like it, but if it works I think you have got to respect it. People like Scott Frost and
others that badmouth Fleck and then lose come across as extremely foolish at the end of the day. It was sort of like Tim Brewster badmouthing Bret Bielema and then losing to him every year just look stupid and I wish they would shut up!! lol.
I think this thread has sort of mixed a couple Fleckisms together. I assume Frost's slogan comment was directed at Row the Boat, 78%, FAMILY, HOW, etc...

Yet those same scribes aren't allowed to toy with us fans or those coaches. Two way street buddy.

Sadly, that's all Reusse and Souhan know how to do much of anymore. Oh and Reusse can tell plenty of old Town Ball or Twins stories from the 60s.

I mean do we get any credit at all? Defense held Martinez to -17 yards rushing, far and away the lowest rushing total he has had since the 2018 season, so maybe, just maybe the Gophers had something to do with what happened on Saturday.

Nebraska is not a great team but they are also not a bad team. They have had 3 close losses to teams currently ranked in the top 10. Have lost on the road to a good Minnesota team and blown out 3 bad teams. The only odd result in their schedule is a loss to Illinois in game 1. They are a solid team and firmly seated in the middle part of the conference.
I have watched nearly every B1G game replay on the BTN following the Saturday games.

Nebraska/Martinez nearly always find new ways to lose games.

Sadly, that's all Reusse and Souhan know how to do much of anymore. Oh and Reusse can tell plenty of old Town Ball or Twins stories from the 60s.
Even though he knows squat about puck, he wrote a really good column about the Wild & St Paul regarding last nights game.

He announced on his podcast he's has another contract for 2 more years, could he have Sid's longevity in his sights?!?

And Tanner completed 16 of 17 passes in the first half, with the only incompletion being a drop. That makes me think that we won the game as much as Nebraska lost it. Having said that, we have beaten talented teams in the past two weeks—teams that were favored to beat us. We are playing good, solid football right now. Yes, post-Bowling Green, we are having some good fortune on critical, game-defining plays, but “the breaks” often favor hard work, mental toughness and sapient planning.

Even though he knows squat about puck, he wrote a really good column about the Wild & St Paul regarding last nights game.

He announced on his podcast he's has another contract for 2 more years, could he have Sid's longevity in his sights?!?

Honestly, with his previous life as a heavy drinker and his weight, I highly doubt he is going til 100.

I have watched nearly every B1G game replay on the BTN following the Saturday games.

Nebraska/Martinez nearly always find new ways to lose games.
I agree, Nebraska has found many creative ways to lose games, sometimes it was Martinez's fault sometimes it wasn't.

But on Saturday....we went out and won that game by outplaying them significantly in the first half and then making the plays needed in the second half. Martinez never turned the ball over and his one big mistake was the safety in the endzone that only cost them 2 points and certainly didn't cost them the game.

It is ok to give the Gophers credit for this one....I know that is tough to do but it would probably be ok in this one circumstance....maybe try something a little different and see how it goes.

He would have gotten sacked for a safety on that play, so the result would have be the same. The goal line stop was key as well. U's defense was great but for a couple big plays, and were a difference maker. I do think Gophs got way too conservative in the 2nd half and it looked like they tried to sit on the lead.

He would have gotten sacked for a safety on that play, so the result would have be the same. The goal line stop was key as well. U's defense was great but for a couple big plays, and were a difference maker. I do think Gophs got way too conservative in the 2nd half and it looked like they tried to sit on the lead.

I think if he hadn't chucked the ball and just went to the ground, I think if he would have been ruled down at the 1 yd line. They usually give the QB the spot where the contact was made.

Just guessing.

I keep seeing this thread and going to the news looking for, “SHOTS FIRED BY PJ FLECK AT THE STAR AND TRIBUNE BUILDING!”
Thank God it’s not.

I would say Nebraska was fortunate, too. The game was about 3 plays away from being about 42-17 Minnesota.

reminds me of a coach I used to know. after every game (usually a loss) he had the same speech: "If you take away those 2 or 3 big plays from the other team, we were right in the game."

only, it doesn't work like that. the game is the game - good plays and bad.

I continue to hold the same opinion on the Gophers. They could potentially beat any team left on their schedule - BUT they could also potentially lose to any team left on the schedule. the margin of victory or defeat for this team is very slim. a turnover - a penalty at the wrong time - a blown assignment - can all turn a game from a win to a loss very quickly.

As amusing as this all is.... in the recap video PJ is preaching to his players "culture over skill" to the players. I doubt he's talking about Frost to the players...

I think it's less a Frost target thing as it is a recognition that Nebraska has talented players and PJ telling players they can overcome that.

As amusing as this all is.... in the recap video PJ is preaching to his players "culture over skill" to the players. I doubt he's talking about Frost to the players...

I think it's less a Frost target thing as it is a recognition that Nebraska has talented players and PJ telling players they can overcome that.
Dang I love these Cinematic Highlight Videos.....Awesome shots on the MBS and CRAB TD grabs. You can see how fired up the guys were on Saturday, hopefully they bring that same energy for each of the remaining games as well.

The Culture vs. Skill thing was interesting. Guess that was more than just a throw-away line. I am sure his players know what he means by it and that it isn't a shot at their talent.

If i heard my coach say culture over skill that many times I’d be inspired to play great too! But only to show that we have skill and culture. Cause that would piss me off!
But then, most things piss me off.

That is what he was telling the players all week obviously. 'Nebraska has all the higher rated recruiting classes, but we have a better culture and our culture will win.'

That is what he was telling the players all week obviously. 'Nebraska has all the higher rated recruiting classes, but we have a better culture and our culture will win.'
Fleck puts a huge emphasis on team over individual. Seems like this particular group has really bought into that concept.

Look at this culture I’ve grown in the bottom of Tanners locker in this Petri dish.
This will help us beat the Huskers!

Top Bottom