Shots Fired by PJ Fleck on His Culture Critics

That is what he was telling the players all week obviously. 'Nebraska has all the higher rated recruiting classes, but we have a better culture and our culture will win.'
King of the "Too's"

We can do without the extremely overused "culture" word now. We got it, coach loves the term for lack of a different one and many of the rubes worship it bit its time to move off of it. Every single coach, leader, manager uses this term to explain success.
It used to be the Dodger way, The Twins way etc. I'm not sure we ever had a Gophers' way but that would make it less PJ and more team.

reminds me of a coach I used to know. after every game (usually a loss) he had the same speech: "If you take away those 2 or 3 big plays from the other team, we were right in the game."

only, it doesn't work like that. the game is the game - good plays and bad.

I continue to hold the same opinion on the Gophers. They could potentially beat any team left on their schedule - BUT they could also potentially lose to any team left on the schedule. the margin of victory or defeat for this team is very slim. a turnover - a penalty at the wrong time - a blown assignment - can all turn a game from a win to a loss very quickly.
And that describes big time college football. Some of the best athletes on the planet competing on Saturday.

Sadly, that's all Reusse and Souhan know how to do much of anymore. Oh and Reusse can tell plenty of old Town Ball or Twins stories from the 60s.
I knew after the game on Saturday that I wouldn't have to read anything about the Gophers from Reusse because he NEVER writes about them when they win. Also, have you ever read a negative article from him about the Vikings, Twins, Wild, T-Wolves, (insert any local pro-team)? I also love the names he comes up with for Gopher coaches: "Phil Fleck", "Philip John", "Country Jer" (referring to Jerry Kill", and I'm sure there were a ton more going back all the way to Jim "Wacky" Wacker. Name me ONE pro coach in town whom Pat has anointed with a "catchy/sarcastic" nickname?

reminds me of a coach I used to know. after every game (usually a loss) he had the same speech: "If you take away those 2 or 3 big plays from the other team, we were right in the game."

only, it doesn't work like that. the game is the game - good plays and bad.

Exactly why I posted what I did. Someone wants to say we were lucky to win, I would counter that Nebraska was equally lucky it wasn't a blowout.

At the end of the day, the score is the score.

And, it says Minnesota won.

Top Bottom