Votes: 3 2.6%
  • C

Votes: 32 27.6%
  • D

Votes: 78 67.2%

• Total voters

upnorthkid

Reaction score
How would you grade Shortell's performance?

I'm giving him a D. The offense looked pretty poor all around but Shortell killed them with overthrows and underthrows early that let the game get away. Then made costly TOs in the 2nd half. Also looked pretty shaky at times in the pocket.

I gave him a C+ last week and was excoriated as being too negative. I'm giving him a C- today. Floats too many balls and is indecisive in the pocket. The difference in grade for me today is his misses ended up in Iowa hands today and he avoided turnovers last week.

Anytime you throw 3 interceptions and lose, it's an F. Sorry, Max. There will be other games.

How can shortell get anything but an F? shortell was the worst part of our game today, he kept looking for the big play instead of the smart play. complte opposite of his syracuse performance

How can shortell get anything but an F? shortell was the worst part of our game today, he kept looking for the big play instead of the smart play. complte opposite of his syracuse performance

Iowa rb gets 100 yds rushing in the first quarter, the d gives up 24 pts in first half, and the qb is the worst part of our game?

O line gets man-handled all game and the qb is the worst part of the game?

Really

Max was awful today and deserves an F, but even when Gray is healthy, Max should start imo. This is a not a rose bowl contender and probably not even a bowl team this year. The coaches need to evaluate Max for the rest of the year and see if he can be the guy. Starting Gray does nothing for the future of the program.

Iowa rb gets 100 yds rushing in the first quarter, the d gives up 24 pts in first half, and the qb is the worst part of our game?

Really

Again, I didn't see the first half, but the O-line is still the trouble spot for me on this team. They are very young and will get better, but they are having problems right now.

I feel Max is not our starter of the future. He does very well coming off the bench. Max is very inconsistent and doesnt make smart decisions. When he comes off the bench he does very well, but as the time goes on he decreases his performance. I think Ma will be a good backup QB for the Gophers and thats how we need to look at Max.

Underthrow, underthrow, underthrow...some days Joe Mauer goes 0-5 with 3 strikeouts. I guess I can't be shocked that a QB has a bad day once in a while too, but I was really disappointed in Shortell's performance.

C+; his percentage was good (20 of 33) but three intercepts, one a pick-six. Bad. Also, he has little mobility in the pocket and is too slow for runs. He would be more effective if we had a Weisman-type, Gerhart running back.

I feel Max is not our starter of the future. He does very well coming off the bench. Max is very inconsistent and doesnt make smart decisions. When he comes off the bench he does very well, but as the time goes on he decreases his performance. I think Ma will be a good backup QB for the Gophers and thats how we need to look at Max.
He's a true sophmore, of course he makes mistakes. If you don't think Philip Nelson will make mistakes as a RS Freshman you're out of your mind.

Really

Max was awful today and deserves an F, but even when Gray is healthy, Max should start imo. This is a not a rose bowl contender and probably not even a bowl team this year. The coaches need to evaluate Max for the rest of the year and see if he can be the guy. Starting Gray does nothing for the future of the program.

So you think this team will go 1-7 in conference, worse than the previous two abysmal seasons, and our worst conference record since 2007?

I will be very surprised if we don't make a bowl this year.

Grades are relative in this context, but a C. Not very good.

However, the first interception was taken away from a receiver... the second and third had some to do with the circumstances in the game (i.e., play calls and/or forcing due to being down big). I don't look at all interceptions as being equal.

That said, many of his passes just didn't look good today. Tough road game against a rival and with the entire team not playing well - it's not the end of the world. Still think Shortell gives Minnesota a better chance than Gray at QB to pull off wins in the Big Ten.

In most cases the O line gave Shortell time to throw.

Limegrover's offense requires a mobile qb to be effective.

The D gave up 24 points which is not bad in college football, they held them scoreless in the 2nd half.

Really

The O-Line did a bad job with run Blocking true enough. Honestly though station19, Shortell usually had time to throw the ball. He was just inaccurate doing it.

I don't think I've ever seen receivers fight for balls less. Shortel was not good, but the whole receiving corp was brutal.

Grades are relative in this context, but a C. Not very good.

However, the first interception was taken away from a receiver... the second and third had some to do with the circumstances in the game (i.e., play calls and/or forcing due to being down big). I don't look at all interceptions as being equal.

That said, many of his passes just didn't look good today. Tough road game against a rival and with the entire team not playing well - it's not the end of the world. Still think Shortell gives Minnesota a better chance than Gray at QB to pull off wins in the Big Ten.

Because that receiver had to wait and lean back for the ball while the defender was right where it was thrown. There was one flat-out drop. The rest were on the QB or route trouble.

Game was unofficially over when a terrified squad took the field.

Game was officially over when Barker coughed up a pick and Max air-mailed a wide open DCT for six.

That was about 6 minutes in.

I turned it off a few minutes later.

Game was officially over when Barker coughed up a pick and Max air-mailed a wide open DCT for six.

This probably sets a new record for "earliest point in the game that a fan has completely given up on their team."

I was at the game. The pass blocking by the o line was pretty good. Sure some blitzes weren't picked up properly, but that was later in the game when for some reason we didn't have a check down receiver short, so shortell had to take a sack.

Shortell missed throws downfield, and probably missed 3 or 4 wide open deep routes. On his last interception Fruechte torched the defender and there was no safety deep.

I would give him a D. I would give the play calling an F though. Too vanilla and predictable.

I gave a D because an F wasn't an option (which it should have been). He didn't lead the team and he didn't put anyone on his shoulders. Now if only our senior could do that the rest of the way.

The O-Line did a bad job with run Blocking true enough. Honestly though station19, Shortell usually had time to throw the ball. He was just inaccurate doing it.

I agree he was inaccurate. Just saying when you have no run game and a d giving up 24 pts 1st half, it's rather lame to say the worst part of the game was the qb.

Shortell:
passing
20/33 - 197 yds

rushing
16/ 46 yds

Rest of team rushing
16/ 66 yds

Max didn't have a real good game, but hardly the worst part.

Wow - Nice fan.

I agree he was inaccurate. Just saying when you have no run game and a d giving up 24 pts 1st half, it's rather lame to say the worst part of the game was the qb.

Shortell:
passing
20/33 - 197 yds

rushing
16/ 46 yds

Rest of team rushing
16/ 66 yds

Max didn't have a real good game, but hardly the worst part.

Pretty reasonable.

Wow - Nice fan.

Watch closely.

Jerry treats this team like a psychiatric patient who will fall to pieces when the slightest thing goes wrong.

He knows they are thisclose from losing it at any moment. And when they took the field...we all saw what Kill sees every day.

Top Bottom