Shortell transferring

I'm sure he didn't decommitt because he was told he would play, which he did. However, he should have recognized that if a coach was willing to leap frog him over kids already on the roster (Parrish) without actually earning it....the same thing might happen to him.

The moral of the story? If a chick leaves her husband for you, don't marry her...she has a track record.

This is an example of the classic "we don't want to lose the recruit, but he probably doesn't fit our system." Given the point in time when Kill took the job, any defections had to be avoided at the risk of having a mass defection. Hence, the staff probably stretches things a bit to keep guys on board.

Sportsfan-
What is the deal with your fixation on Tom Parish? You have mentioned on many threads, many different times about how he was the best QB and did not get a fair shake. Is this based on practice observations from your son, your observations, a combo of both?

My thought is if Parish was so good, he would have laneded somewhere and would be playing. A
quick google search of "Tom Parish Transfer" and "Tom Parish Football" give no information on
where he ended up.

Let me be clear, I have no idea who would have won the starting QB position. And I certainly don't believe I'm a better talent evaluator than those who get paid.

What bothers me is this. In 40 years as a player and coach; what I have been taught and taught is you compete for playing time. It's earned not given. Last year Gray was given the starting role and Shortel was given the back up role the moment he showed up on campus. Everyone else competed for positions. As a result the 2011 and 2012 teams were led by "appointed" leaders and it rubs me the wrong way.

With that being said; this goes on to some degree at every program (it has to) our coach is no different. It's called player development. I guess I'm just saying, don't believe the best man always plays and the coach always plays the best man.....it's complicated.

Most coaches want to win a want the best talent on the field. Unless the coach is a parent with a kid on the team. It's hard for a parent to see their kid not succeed. Max and family showed a lot of class.

Yep, a very classy family those Shortells, and Good Luck and Godspeed to them!

Wherever Shortell ends up, his father wanted one point to be made very clear. Max Shortell threw three of the passes that A.J. Barker carried into the end zone this season, but that connection didn't extend to their departures from Minnesota.
"I just want people to know, Max absolutely loved it there. The city, the university, the people there, his teammates, his coaches -- he had a great experience," Shortell said. "Our whole family loved it up there. We got to know some of the other parents, too. ... We're sad about the decision, but we're going to support whatever Max wants to do."
Barker also announced his intention to transfer recently, but ignited a controversy over Kill's coaching methods by writing a 4,000-word blog post that lambasted the coach for yelling at him in front of his teammates, among other things.
The Shortells' opinions are different, Tom Shortell said.
"Coach (Jerry) Kill is a great guy, and he was always very supportive of Max," Shortell said. '"He tried to talk Max out of transferring. I know Max really wishes it had worked out there."

Yes indeed they're a class act them Shortells. As I posted earlier, I said Max will be missed and I wished him well. After seeing this article, I would add that the entire Shortell clan will be missed! Obviously, Mom and Dad did a great job with their son!! I hope Max has great success at his next football stop and makes us regret that we ever let him go. Even if football doesn't pan out for Max, he'll be a success in life. I hope the Shortells will drop us a post now and then to let us know how things are going for Max. Thanks for giving MN two solid years!

Yes indeed they're a class act them Shortells. As I posted earlier, I said Max will be missed and I wished him well. After seeing this article, I would add that the entire Shortell clan will be missed! Obviously, Mom and Dad did a great job with their son!! I hope Max has great success at his next football stop and makes us regret that we ever let him go. Even if football doesn't pan out for Max, he'll be a success in life. I hope the Shortells will drop us a post now and then to let us know how things are going for Max. Thanks for giving MN two solid years!

Totally agree. A highly classy departure for Max and family, and a perfect example of the 'right' way to do it, as opposed to A.J.'s meltdown.

Max is a talented and hard-working young QB with a big arm, so wherever he goes I hope he tears it up and achieves the kind of success a young man like that deserves to taste.

Thanks, Max. Kudos, best of luck and well wishes for you and your family wherever you're destined to go.

Montana?

Anything to the rumor Max is going to Montana?

I'm only posting this to keep Max's story more recent than any wide receivers who quit in 2012. Note that Max is truly transferring in that he played out the year. I don't give a sh!t about anyone who quit the team.

Lol only parents of players think seniors should never be skipped over by underclassmen. I mean of course every senior is better than a new player coming in. lol

Although i dont think max got a real long look .. this is about building a program not just winning one extra game this year or last year. You build a program with underclassmen gettting playing time so when they are upperclassmen u have a chance to be a pretty darn good team. IF you could not see that is what kill is doing you need to open your eyes.

If he gets in the right system, he could really excel.

Let me be clear, I have no idea who would have won the starting QB position. And I certainly don't believe I'm a better talent evaluator than those who get paid.

What bothers me is this. In 40 years as a player and coach; what I have been taught and taught is you compete for playing time. It's earned not given. Last year Gray was given the starting role and Shortel was given the back up role the moment he showed up on campus. Everyone else competed for positions. As a result the 2011 and 2012 teams were led by "appointed" leaders and it rubs me the wrong way.

With that being said; this goes on to some degree at every program (it has to) our coach is no different. It's called player development. I guess I'm just saying, don't believe the best man always plays and the coach always plays the best man.....it's complicated.

I suppose you have a point with Gray being named a starter pretty much instantly. However, that seemed kind of like a no-brainer to anyone who knew anything about the Gopher staff.

How are you so sure that Parish didn't have a competition with Shortell? They were both getting snaps in the spring and during spring game. Most of the people commenting thought Shortell looked better. That seems to be pretty evident in the fact that Parish isn't playing football anymore.

I also don't think it was about player development. Parish and Max were in the same class. Parish had a year to RS, but they were both FR in 2011. It wasn't about playing the younger kids, I think Kill played the better kid (Shortell).

Lots of talk about this on the Montana Grizzlies discussion forum, but no confirmation.
http://www.egriz.com/grizboard/viewt...hp?f=1&t=60464

Hate to give second hand info, but I was talking to my father on the phone, he said they had mentioned Montana as a place where Shortell would go on the nightly news on WCCO when he was watching it. But, 'CCO is of course old man's news, and he is getting old, so maybe he is confused (Joking). HAHA. :)

I suppose you have a point with Gray being named a starter pretty much instantly. However, that seemed kind of like a no-brainer to anyone who knew anything about the Gopher staff.

How are you so sure that Parish didn't have a competition with Shortell? They were both getting snaps in the spring and during spring game. Most of the people commenting thought Shortell looked better. That seems to be pretty evident in the fact that Parish isn't playing football anymore.

I also don't think it was about player development. Parish and Max were in the same class. Parish had a year to RS, but they were both FR in 2011. It wasn't about playing the younger kids, I think Kill played the better kid (Shortell).

You must be thinking of someone else, Parrish arrived on campus in 2010 and red shirted. He then "competed" for the QB position with Q... for 2 practices in the spring of 2011. Shortel arrived on campus in the fall of 2011 and "won" the back up position after the first week of practice.

It was obvious the staff decided Q had more upside than Parrish. Folks familiar with the program prior to Kills arrival knew that Q's QB days were over. The intent of the previous staff was to pick a QB between Parish and Shortel with Parish (assuming no one else stepped up) having the advantage of spring football. Q's future was going to be at WR because it was apparent he was not a accurate passer. More than that, it was apparent he had the makings of a special WR so why waste time trying to develop him as a QB.

To be open...I took issue with the blame for some horrendous loses being left on the supposed lack of talent on the roster when it had more to do with player development, ie let's throw these guys out there and see what we got (that may be a bit extreme but you get my point).

Again not assigning blame, this is just the ugly truth that comes with building a program. My intent is to show why a player (AJ) can have a point when he blows his top or why coach Kill may appear to be wrong but is in fact making the needed hard decisions. Like AJ, Kill is not my favorite person because of his decisions...unlike AJ, I can see Kills position. Life is not black and white, there are shades of grey.

I'm nearly certain that the only two quarterback that took snaps in the Spring game in 2011 were Gray and Alipate. As I recall Parrish was injured and I'm trying to remember if Shortell was there and injured or not on campus yet. But I would be stunned if anyone could find something showing Parrish took a single snap in the Spring game.

I can't see Alipate moving back to QB. Heck, it wouldn't surprise me if he just threw in the towel. I don't know how close he is to graduation, but I think it's obvious he'll be going pro in something other than football.

I did forget Foreman before, but on the same sense, that's because he's been so forgettable. He's a guy I could see dropping down a division and playing for a different type of offense.

You must be thinking of someone else, Parrish arrived on campus in 2010 and red shirted. He then "competed" for the QB position with Q... for 2 practices in the spring of 2011. Shortel arrived on campus in the fall of 2011 and "won" the back up position after the first week of practice.

It was obvious the staff decided Q had more upside than Parrish. Folks familiar with the program prior to Kills arrival knew that Q's QB days were over. The intent of the previous staff was to pick a QB between Parish and Shortel with Parish (assuming no one else stepped up) having the advantage of spring football. Q's future was going to be at WR because it was apparent he was not a accurate passer. More than that, it was apparent he had the makings of a special WR so why waste time trying to develop him as a QB.

To be open...I took issue with the blame for some horrendous loses being left on the supposed lack of talent on the roster when it had more to do with player development, ie let's throw these guys out there and see what we got (that may be a bit extreme but you get my point).

Again not assigning blame, this is just the ugly truth that comes with building a program. My intent is to show why a player (AJ) can have a point when he blows his top or why coach Kill may appear to be wrong but is in fact making the needed hard decisions. Like AJ, Kill is not my favorite person because of his decisions...unlike AJ, I can see Kills position. Life is not black and white, there are shades of grey.

I agree with most of what you said here. You make some very good points.

For the record, it was always my contention (easy to say now of course) that if Shortell would have been on campus for Spring Ball of his first year, like Nelson and Mitch L were, Shortell very likely would have beaten out Gray for the QB spot. Getting on campus for Spring Ball is a REALLY big deal. You don't literally waste the first few weeks of Fall camp trying to figure out how practice is set up, what's expected, etc.

I understand your disdain for Kill but in this post you mentioned his decisions. I can understand that, but I would HOPE he really makes very few personnel-related decisions unilaterally, without input from the staff. At the end of the day, it's Limegrover's offense and it's Claeys' defense; I'd be shocked if many personnel-related decisions have been made that they weren't largely on board with, particularly how long they've worked together.

I enjoyed watching Max play. From the comments of his family and such, class acts all around. May Max excel at whatever he chooses to do.

Top Bottom