Shortell transferring

Not a surprise. He wants to play. Didn't he have a chance to de-commit when they hired Kill? Should have gone to a more pro-style offense.

Makes sense, no reason to waste eligibility now that Nelson has been named the starter. I'm sure he will find a good fit at another school with the chance to play.

Not a surprise. He wants to play. Didn't he have a chance to de-commit when they hired Kill? Should have gone to a more pro-style offense.

Yeah he could've de-committed. I wish him luck, probably best for both parties.

Ugh. . . I hate this.

It makes sense for Shortell. However, with the very real probability at the QB position, Shortell would have likely played quite a bit next year. I think he's a talented guy and that he will be a good college QB. I think Nelson will be better but I really wish they would have had a real open competition for the position next year. I didn't think he played bad enough to lose his position.

Oh well, you can't blame him and I wish him luck wherever he goes. That said, we are now going to be REALLY thin at QB.

Ugh. . . I hate this.

It makes sense for Shortell. However, with the very real probability at the QB position, Shortell would have likely played quite a bit next year. I think he's a talented guy and that he will be a good college QB. I think Nelson will be better but I really wish they would have had a real open competition for the position next year. I didn't think he played bad enough to lose his position.

Oh well, you can't blame him and I wish him luck wherever he goes. That said, we are now going to be REALLY thin at QB.

Why would he have played a lot next year?

Is Leidner or Gray the back up now??

Ugh. . . I hate this.

Unfortunate but not surprising, especially when Shortell's dad kind of blasted Kill for playing Shortell last year.

As much as I hate to see them do this, does anyone think they sign a JUCO QB to get someone with experience? If not, they'll be down to three QB's period, right? Nelson, Leidner and Sheveller (SP?)?

They have Foreman too, not sure how much faith they have in his arm though. Alipate is still around.

Unfortunate but not surprising, especially when Shortell's dad kind of blasted Kill for playing Shortell last year.

As much as I hate to see them do this, does anyone think they sign a JUCO QB to get someone with experience? If not, they'll be down to three QB's period, right? Nelson, Leidner and Sheveller (SP?)?

..and Dexter Foreman.

And now we have an example of the correct way to transfer!

Good luck Max, hope you have success wherever you end up, unless of course we play you in a bowl game.

Here is a case of a reserve QB on a teeter totter. "Do I stay and accept my backup role, or do I transfer and try some place else?" It is a decision that Max and his family have to make, and none of our business. I wish him the best, if transferring is his choice. I wish him the best if staying is his choice.

Deep down, it is none of our business what Max does for himself, what is our business is that we care about the Gophers, and wish ourselves the best in whatever happens.

Regardless, we have a Bowl Game with Texas Tech coming up, and that is our business, to talk about that.

And now we have an example of the correct way to transfer!

Good luck Max, hope you have success wherever you end up, unless of course we play you in a bowl game.

Thanks Tim Riggins for the observation and the laugh.:clap:

Good luck Max. I expected this to happen once Nelson was plugged in as the starter for the rest of the year.

I think it's something that they might have to consider. I don't know what is happening with Foreman, but his name hasn't come up in a long time (and I don't think he dressed for a lot of games this year).

I would feel a lot more comfortable with a JUCO backup QB.

Not surprising, but it hurts big time from a depth perspective. We will have 2 Sophs and 2 Freshman QB's on the roster. Looks like Leidner won't be making that position switch after all.

What the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# does that have to do with it?

picard-facepalm.jpg

AJ-Barker-458x446.png

Another defection: Max Shortell leaving the Gophers, Jerry Kill announces

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...ll_leaving_Gophers_Jerry_Kill_announces120412

QB Max Shortell to transfer, Gophers announce

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/182049871.html

I think Miller went for the less juicy headline.

what a stupidly hyperbolic headline by the espn 1500 headline writer. people who are headline writers have to be some of the most smug, snarky, annoying, know-it-all, little turds the world has ever met. honestly.

it is stupid trying to imply any kind of "connection" to the a.j. barker soap opera and has nothing to do with it. really isn't even a defection in the true sense of the word. he just realized that he wasn't likely to get much playing time, if any, in his remaining years of eligibility if he stayed at the U of M. this was most likely a mutually agreed upon decision between coach kill and max shortell for the sake of max's remaining college playing years.

Sad to see. But, it is the nature of the beast. Shortell we be successful somewhere. Just unfortunate he got stuck behind Nelson, who essentially was the heir-apparent.

Good luck to him though!

Does this mean he won't get an ipod and gym bag at the muffler bowl?

Seriously... I felt bad for Max the minute the red shirt came off of Nelson. I appreciated the way he held with the Gophers during a coaching change and I was really pulling for him. Seeing him play (especially against Iowa) this year, it really did seem like he was a guy that was not built for this offense. With that in mind, he might find a very good fit with a different style offense.

So is he off the team as of now and won't be traveling to the bowl game?

I can't blame him probably the best decison for him and wish him the best of luck. Probably should have waited to do this until after the bowl game now he will miss out on all the free bowl game gifts.

Top Bottom