Shooter: You’ve got to give credit to P.J. Fleck and his representation for scaring the University of Minnesota into a new $35 million 7 year contract

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

You’ve got to give credit to P.J. Fleck and his representation for scaring the University of Minnesota into a new $35 million, seven-year football coaching contract.

Insiders say Fleck was No. 4 on the Southern California candidate list. And word is Fleck wasn’t on the table for the LSU job, which could pay upward of $10 million a year for the right coach.

It turns out the Virginia Tech job wasn’t going to pay enough. Texas Christian was not a possibility.

What Fleck mostly got in the new deal is years (he’s signed through 2028). Essentially he got the best that he could under the circumstances before having to play Iowa and Wisconsin this season.

Fleck’s contract now pays him $5 million a year. University of Minnesota President Joan Gabel is paid $640,000 a year.

Go Gophers!!

Does this feel like Little Ricky 2.0?

How does one go from a major mid-season contract extension to fans questioning if said coach is even right for job? Only in Minnesota. If he would have won at home vs Bowling Green, would he have gotten a lifetime contract? For a guy not going anywhere, these mid-season extensions are crazy, short sighted. Can they re-negotiate the contract down after middle of the pack finish and losses too IA and WI? Deserves a Harbaugh downgrade at end of season.

OK maybe not because of Covid exemptions but without a bonus year...we lose Autman Bell, Rush, Pinckney. Tanner, Smith, Esezi, Durr, Treadway, Geary, Harris, Howden, Mafe, McDonald, KoKieft, Gibbens, Sori-Marin, Martin, Schmitz, Conner Olson, Ruschmeyer, Schluetter, Faalele Andries, Brock Annexstad, Swenson, Howard and Trickett. That's 27 plus guys that play a lot or some and there are probably a handful I overlooked or a handful who are Cam Wiley, Dunlop unhappy and will move on.
Walley, Irving and Thomas stand out and are eligible to return...who else we gonna build around?

OK maybe not because of Covid exemptions but without a bonus year...we lose Autman Bell, Rush, Pinckney. Tanner, Smith, Esezi, Durr, Treadway, Geary, Harris, Howden, Mafe, McDonald, KoKieft, Gibbens, Sori-Marin, Martin, Schmitz, Conner Olson, Ruschmeyer, Schluetter, Faalele Andries, Brock Annexstad, Swenson, Howard and Trickett. That's 27 plus guys that play a lot or some and there are probably a handful I overlooked or a handful who are Cam Wiley, Dunlop unhappy and will move on.
Walley, Irving and Thomas stand out and are eligible to return...who else we gonna build around?
The team is going to build around Sanford Jr. and PJ. They are a great coaching duo. One is known for making good in-game adjustments and the other is equally respected for in-game management such as when to kick FG or punt. The future is bright!

Well, for years we complained that the team was always young. Now, it's more experienced but that means guys will depart soon. This is a healthier cycle for a college football program, with mostly juniors and seniors playing, and underclassmen preparing behind them.

There's no guarantees that the underclassmen aren't better than today's starters in due time. We just haven't seen them play much yet. It's normal in every program in America that the 2nd string isn't very experienced, and it's a bad sign if they are.

It's kind of confusing to me how people are both lamenting the performance of the players and also deeply concerned about what happens when they leave. Same sentiment with the coaches too.

little dick and fleck are totally opposite. little dicky was a dumpstar fire , who couldnt recruit or coach. his daddy is the only reason he is not a water boy somewhere. fleck will get it turned around. he made a major error hiring sanford. i do not understand if you look at sanfords record , it regresses each year. horrible hire.

Little Ricky is Sanford Jr. If it wasn't for his dad Sanford sr. wouldn't be nowhere near what he is now. If last name is Chewbacca he will be at best D3 coach. At least his dad knows what he can or cannot do and well respected for it. His son is well known for destroying QBs throughout his career. But HC PJ thinks he is the best OC he ever met and even said so in some interviews. Glowing reviews indeed.

The day is sufficient evil unto itself.
Next year will show if PJ's recruiting and coaching will be adequate to replace the starters who will be leaving.
Until then the concern of fans should be to win the next two games for the stars may not be so favorably aligned next year.

little dick and fleck are totally opposite. little dicky was a dumpstar fire , who couldnt recruit or coach. his daddy is the only reason he is not a water boy somewhere. fleck will get it turned around. he made a major error hiring sanford. i do not understand if you look at sanfords record , it regresses each year. horrible hire.
Everyone said the 2019 season showed Fleck had turned things around. After a Covid season and a disappointing 2021 season, he's going to turn it around again?

Somebody is gonna get dizzy!

Everyone said the 2019 season showed Fleck had turned things around. After a Covid season and a disappointing 2021 season, he's going to turn it around again?

Somebody is gonna get dizzy!
F....it. I was going to try and reason with you but that is pointless. You and your buddies have your fun....those of us that still believe in the program are just going to have to let the trolls be trolls around here and do their happy dance.

Well, for years we complained that the team was always young. Now, it's more experienced but that means guys will depart soon. This is a healthier cycle for a college football program, with mostly juniors and seniors playing, and underclassmen preparing behind them.

There's no guarantees that the underclassmen aren't better than today's starters in due time. We just haven't seen them play much yet. It's normal in every program in America that the 2nd string isn't very experienced, and it's a bad sign if they are.

It's kind of confusing to me how people are both lamenting the performance of the players and also deeply concerned about what happens when they leave. Same sentiment with the coaches too.
If we can't win with experienced players who have been developed 4 and 5 years under PJ...how would we leap to the conclusion we'll be better with raw guys who can't beat out the incumbents?
Take the QB out of the equation and assume we are playing best available.

If we can't win with experienced players who have been developed 4 and 5 years under PJ...how would we leap to the conclusion we'll be better with raw guys who can't beat out the incumbents?
Take the QB out of the equation and assume we are playing best available.

How did we compete this season after losing a bunch of players from the best season in over 50 years, just two years ago? How does any college team stay competitive every season despite losing players? Good lord.

Writer's lose credibility when they only focus on negatives or positives. I do not visit the star any more, but does this gentleman ever say anything positive?

What Fleck mostly got in the new deal is years (he’s signed through 2028). Essentially he got the best that he could under the circumstances before having to play Iowa and Wisconsin this season.
Those two years mean nothing and are just for show. He'll never get to those two years the way they are currently written. Colleage coaches almost never get close to the end of their contracts. There's literally no downside to adding two years.

How did we compete this season after losing a bunch of players from the best season in over 50 years, just two years ago? How does any college team stay competitive every season despite losing players? Good lord.
Your arguments support my concerns. We don't coach like some of those other teams.
And the season after 2019 we had a losing season and your two years after we are 6 and 6 or 7 and 5, according to most predictors...which in year 5 is not $5 million 7 years acceptable to me.
Along with never beating Iowa. Competing is nice but PJ is getting paid to win.

F....it. I was going to try and reason with you but that is pointless. You and your buddies have your fun....those of us that still believe in the program are just going to have to let the trolls be trolls around here and do their happy dance.
That's where I'm sitting right now. I've barely come here since Saturday afternoon and I realize it's just time to have all the downers have their moment in the sun. I'm as disappointed as anyone with some of the things that have gone down this year, but I'm far from being ready to waive the white flag on the program and coaching staff as a whole.

Your arguments support my concerns. We don't coach like some of those other teams.
And the season after 2019 we had a losing season and your two years after we are 6 and 6 or 7 and 5, according to most predictors...which in year 5 is not $5 million 7 years acceptable to me.
Along with never beating Iowa. Competing is nice but PJ is getting paid to win.

The pay argument is such a lame argument. Fleck is paid in the middle of the pack in the B1G. The coaches just below him will also likely get bumped above him before he gets another raise.

I'm disappointed with the way this season has gone, but it also isn't over yet. They will reload and be in contention for the west again next season.

After Alvarez and Ferentz had their breakthrough seasons, they didn't win 10+ games every season after. It takes a long time to build up a historically mediocre to bad program into a consistent winner. Alvarez averaged 7.4 wins per season over his career at WI. Ferentz is currently at 7.7 at Iowa.

If Sandford is not gone at end of season, better believe next year will be a trainwreck with us losing most of our starting O-Line

The pay argument is such a lame argument. Fleck is paid in the middle of the pack in the B1G. The coaches just below him will also likely get bumped above him before he gets another raise.

I'm disappointed with the way this season has gone, but it also isn't over yet. They will reload and be in contention for the west again next season.

After Alvarez and Ferentz had their breakthrough seasons, they didn't win 10+ games every season after. It takes a long time to build up a historically mediocre to bad program into a consistent winner. Alvarez averaged 7.4 wins per season over his career at WI. Ferentz is currently at 7.7 at Iowa.
And he got a 6% raise a year after taking a voluntary Covid pay cut

Take your logic and reasoning somewhere else, this is a pitchforking thread.

Seriously though your last point is dead on. I get it that when we got a taste of success in 2019, we all want more of that, but it just doesn't happen consistently like that overnight, or even ever for programs like ours.

Little Ricky is Sanford Jr. If it wasn't for his dad Sanford sr. wouldn't be nowhere near what he is now. If last name is Chewbacca he will be at best D3 coach. At least his dad knows what he can or cannot do and well respected for it. His son is well known for destroying QBs throughout his career. But HC PJ thinks he is the best OC he ever met and even said so in some interviews. Glowing reviews indeed.
You are clueless and are a leading candidate for troll of the year. Congratulations.

It had been mentioned that recruiters from other teams were trying to use "Fleck is leaving for..." to convince players not to commit to the Gophers. At the time of the new contract, it was probably a good ploy to try and keep recruits in the boat, so to speak.

Maybe not sooooo much of that talk going on now, though.

The whole argument regarding the comparisons to Glen Mason, even though their records at Minnesota are eerily similar, is that PJF is this awesome recruiter. Every member of this team has spent almost all, if not all, their careers being coached by Fleck.

The lion's share of fans think Minnesota had more talent than Iowa last weekend. The refs didn't beat us.

So the correct answer is Fleck got out coached and out schemed.

End of story? This isn't about being negative. People that criticize the staff are called trolls. I think they're realists.

The whole argument regarding the comparisons to Glen Mason, even though their records at Minnesota are eerily similar, is that PJF is this awesome recruiter. Every member of this team has spent almost all, if not all, their careers being coached by Fleck.

The lion's share of fans think Minnesota had more talent than Iowa last weekend. The refs didn't beat us.

So the correct answer is Fleck got out coached and out schemed.

End of story? This isn't about being negative. People that criticize the staff are called trolls. I think they're realists.
You try so hard, and make up so much nonsense. It's totally fair to criticize the staff this season, and many reasonable fans are doing that.

You're still a troll though.

Top Bottom