Shooter: Minnesota, conceptually, has considered either renovating Williams Arena or building a new arena in the parking lots north of arena

After we build a new arena, I wonder what the next excuse will be on why people aren't showing up? We aren't allowed to state the obvious, which is losing games, so maybe the popcorn is stale? We are a pro sports town? The Coke could be more fizzy? Need flashier uniforms?
No reasonab person would suggest that attendance has anything to do with the arena. When the Gophers win, the seats are full. Hasn’t been a hot ticket for a long time. Wasn’t under Pitino, and won’t be until the team contends. Could be a long wait (no matter who the coach is).

Who would pay for this? I don't see it happening.

Superficial, modern decor changes would at least be something. The vibe the walls, paint, texture give off.

After we build a new arena, I wonder what the next excuse will be on why people aren't showing up? We aren't allowed to state the obvious, which is losing games, so maybe the popcorn is stale? We are a pro sports town? The Coke could be more fizzy? Need flashier uniforms?
If the U switched back to Pepsi, I could see this thing turning around.

1) The seats are too narrow for a normal sized person, especially if you are holding a winter coat.
2) The drink cup holders limit the leg space, if you are trying to grab your drink, while holding your coat. Good luck if you are over 6'.
3) The viewing angle of many of the seats are not comfortable.

The Barn has outlived it's usefulness and should be replaced with a modern version, that pays respect to the current arena. JMO.
Tall people get the girls, the sports glory, and the promotions at work. All us short guys have is comfort on airplanes and at Williams Arena. Deal with it. 😉

Assuming this Shooter report is true, the lack of vision from the entire University is breathtaking. Interest in the program had been waning dramatically for years, they drag their feet on firing Pitino over (rumored) literal pennies in the grand scheme of college athletics, then they hire a coach with no experience or track record that excited nobody allegedly because of finances and/or external pressure, and/or the "one of us" angle. The crowd in the Barn was mocked as being old a decade ago and by the appearances on TV a few older die hards are all that are left.

Imagine what the appetite for renovations would be if we had a turnaround like Iowa State much less Marquette? We could accurately gauge whether the Barn was hurting attendance and Gopher fans (and perhaps more importantly the general public) would be much more open to contributions (be it donations or tax dollars (real or perceived) to renovating or replacing the Barn. Now? It just feels like the worst possible time to talk about a new arena with Gopher basketball in the midst of its worst 5 year stretch in history and possibly its worst 10 year stretch depending on how much value you put on that one tournament win.

It's wild to me that the difference between Johnson and a Musselman is less than $4 million a year (potentially way less than that if a buyout is necessary) and that wasn't an investment the "U" was either willing or able to make...but a couple years later they are looking at >$100 million investment in a new arena for a product that currently could not sell out if tickets were free.

What amenities are you looking for? Do we think recruits really care how many bathrooms are up on the suite level?

I was not even thinking about recruits. I was just talking about a building that would be enjoyable for fans as a place to watch basketball - and amenities do matter for fans.

a lot of people think Williams Arena is kind of a dump. combine that with ticket prices, "seat donations," and a team that is struggling, and it gives people lots of reasons to stay home and not buy tickets.

sure, a winning team will help draw back some fans, but I think the combination of a winning team and a newer arena with better concessions, concourses and yes, nicer bathrooms would help boost attendance.

as far as paying for it.....that is a separate discussion. (electronic pull-tabs?)

I was not even thinking about recruits. I was just talking about a building that would be enjoyable for fans as a place to watch basketball - and amenities do matter for fans.

a lot of people think Williams Arena is kind of a dump. combine that with ticket prices, "seat donations," and a team that is struggling, and it gives people lots of reasons to stay home and not buy tickets.

sure, a winning team will help draw back some fans, but I think the combination of a winning team and a newer arena with better concessions, concourses and yes, nicer bathrooms would help boost attendance.

as far as paying for it.....that is a separate discussion. (electronic pull-tabs?)
So you build a bigger lobby with more concessions and bathrooms, that has zero to do with needing a whole new arena. It also doesn't take a new arena or even a renovated lobby to switch out concessions if the food isn't currently what you're looking for. The new arena would lack all of the history that Williams has and would certainly not have the overhangs that Williams has meaning the fans would be farther away from the action. That's an amenity lost, not gained.

Last edited:

Is there a state law against, or state legislature pre-approval required, in order to take out/issue (whatever the correct word is) bonds to pay for this? 30 year bonds. Guaranteed to be repayed, at whatever reasonable market-rate interest is.

Why is that not allowed to be the answer??

Isn't that how the government pays for stuff?

Last edited:

In one of the threads about this last year I talked about Hinkle Fieldhouse at Butler, which is probably the closest arena to the Barn. It was seriously renovated in 2014 and the U could take some pointers.

My thought would be that they should look at doing the following:
Building a large food court lounge area with modern amenities, food areas/bars and new restrooms on the south side of the building. Possible some kind of atrium entrance like Xcel has.

Eliminate all the bench seats except the student section. Put in modern seating - nobody wants to sit on a wooden bench.

Eliminate piss troughs in the old mens rooms.

Convert the upper deck on the ends to some kind of either suites or party decks.

See if there's a way to get some natural light in at the top of the building.

And finally, PUT BACK THE DAMN FINAL FOUR AND BIG TEN CHAMP BANNERS.

This is Hinkle today:

I think Im in the same camp as most of you. Im glad they are looking at a renovation or new arena for nothing else than to land on a long term vision on what the basketball experience on campus would be for the next 30 years.

Personally I hope a remodel of Williams is the best outcome but would also accept a new on campus arena. My ideas of a remodel would include:

1. Removal of all the current concession stands under the seats and widen all the concourses
  2. On west side above students. Remove all of the seats and create a modern suite level that looks both into Williams and Maturi Pavillion. Above that suite level, would be the "youth basketball center" Which would be a youth basketball gameday expereince, (limited access) where tickets would only be given for free to youth basketball associations.
  3. Create underground walkway under University avenue at both Oak Street, and right by fieldhouse) Both are open to street level but Oak Street also has direct access from alumni center. (then fence off University like by football stadium)
  4. Create Food hall concession on south side of Williams where ticket lobby is. Including game day activities.
  5. Shrink dedicated student seats. Making the diagonal seats by the students open to recent alumni at a severly discounted price. Helping transition students to season ticket holders. Other side would be new press area.
  6. Update all TV's and expereinces for any upstructed level seating.
  7. Remove press row around floor.
  8. Remove all current seats. Explore changing the elevations with raised floor making a 3/4 around the floor 2 rows standing room student tickets.
  9. Renovate all bathrooms.
  10. Remove all standing food vendors from concourses.
  11. Demolish East ticket atrium. Build new multi level grand ticket entrance with
    1. main floor food court that could be used on non-game days as well (Football, hockey etc)
    2. Second level, create Goldy Club ticket expereince that extends further into the arena on main level. This would be a seperate tickets with Food, Beverages included.
    3. Third level have rooftop outside that overlooks football stadium to be used for weddings, corporate rentals etc.

Im sure there is more that I have thought about over the years. But that is my current list. :)

Common theme is the older arenas like the Palestra (Penn), Hinkle FH (Butler), McAlister FH (Citadel), Devlin FH (Tulane), Hec Ed Pavilion (Wash) etc, have ALL gone through multiple renovations, usually decreasing capacity, but have maintained their status as historic, fantastic, memorable venues for college basketball.
I would be all in for a renovation to improve the overall player and fan experience, but would pretty much "lie down in front of the bulldozers" if they decide to do complete rebuild. Modern facilities are nice but what is lost is not replaceable. The visual awe, smell, stage lighting, "troughs", raised floor, arched roof. There is plenty to work with at the Barn to convert it if needed. It should continue to be a recruiting benefit.
In contrast, I remember watching the Gopher hockey team play in the other half, with the overhang on one end over the net, which was unworkable moving forward. That new construction was completely warranted.

I think Im in the same camp as most of you. Im glad they are looking at a renovation or new arena for nothing else than to land on a long term vision on what the basketball experience on campus would be for the next 30 years.

Personally I hope a remodel of Williams is the best outcome but would also accept a new on campus arena. My ideas of a remodel would include:

1. Removal of all the current concession stands under the seats and widen all the concourses
  2. On west side above students. Remove all of the seats and create a modern suite level that looks both into Williams and Maturi Pavillion. Above that suite level, would be the "youth basketball center" Which would be a youth basketball gameday expereince, (limited access) where tickets would only be given for free to youth basketball associations.
  3. Create underground walkway under University avenue at both Oak Street, and right by fieldhouse) Both are open to street level but Oak Street also has direct access from alumni center. (then fence off University like by football stadium)
  4. Create Food hall concession on south side of Williams where ticket lobby is. Including game day activities.
  5. Shrink dedicated student seats. Making the diagonal seats by the students open to recent alumni at a severly discounted price. Helping transition students to season ticket holders. Other side would be new press area.
  6. Update all TV's and expereinces for any upstructed level seating.
  7. Remove press row around floor.
  8. Remove all current seats. Explore changing the elevations with raised floor making a 3/4 around the floor 2 rows standing room student tickets.
  9. Renovate all bathrooms.
  10. Remove all standing food vendors from concourses.
  11. Demolish East ticket atrium. Build new multi level grand ticket entrance with
    1. main floor food court that could be used on non-game days as well (Football, hockey etc)
    2. Second level, create Goldy Club ticket expereince that extends further into the arena on main level. This would be a seperate tickets with Food, Beverages included.
    3. Third level have rooftop outside that overlooks football stadium to be used for weddings, corporate rentals etc.

Im sure there is more that I have thought about over the years. But that is my current list. :)
By the time you do all that, I'm pretty sure it's cheaper to demolish it and start over. And we only need about 12K seats anyway.

What I want to write could be a 7,500-word paper, but I'll try to keep this concise. In short, what we need is a rethink of that whole area of campus, not a rethink of just one building. It has a flawed layout. Even before this thread was conceived, I had been thinking about what's right and what's wrong about the football stadium. Most of what's wrong is that there's an arterial street literally a few steps from the place. And when it comes to the Barn, what will make a renovation anywhere from difficult to impossible are the arterial streets that constrict its expansion. I don't think you can realize a kick-ass sports village--whether with a renovated or rebuilt/relocated basketball arena--without dealing with the elephant in the room: the motor traffic that serves as a barrier, hazard, and noise pollution for human gathering and foot traffic.

I don't have a solution, but I do think you have to envision a festival space in and around these buildings, which would be amazing. At the same time, you do need motor thoroughfares to feed that space, and let's face it, some people like to congregate in parking lots. In that regard, I think you do have to give Joe Lunchpail his tar-tar and make a place for that...but off to the side of the festival grounds. How do you do that in the limited acreage between the campus proper and the railroad tracks? Again, I don't have an answer, but I'll die on the hill of reinventing the whole area and not just settling for rebuilding or renovating buildings working around a dysfunctional layout that doesn't allow for human activity.

One of the emerging big brains in my industry is Dr. Patricia Tice, who I've had the pleasure to meet and converse with. She's put out a series of posts recently, and the one that came out yesterday puts it in an interesting way:

The opposite of a tube is a festival space—and they’re absolutely essential to an urban area.

A "tube," in her definition borrowed from another writer, is an arterial street that connects places. It's not good when a tube cuts through a place. Although it's often difficult to avoid in a city, those areas where tubes cut through are degraded. Imagine your living room or family room split by a thoroughfare--in other words, a stream of people cutting through the middle of the room where you and others are trying to have a conversation, watch TV, etc. Nobody would design a house like that, but that's how we have our sports facility village laid out.

Imagine having a plaza/festival ground around and between a complex of sports facilities. That ought to be the vision. I hope Brian reads this forum.

Good point. I am simply asking the questions, not suggesting that I kave the answer. I will say that both the N’W and Neb new arenas look impressive. BTW, I saw my first game in the Barn in ‘58.
Wow, the Barn was only 30 years old when you first attended. The Kohl center is 26 years old on a side note.

In one of the threads about this last year I talked about Hinkle Fieldhouse at Butler, which is probably the closest arena to the Barn. It was seriously renovated in 2014 and the U could take some pointers.

My thought would be that they should look at doing the following:
Building a large food court lounge area with modern amenities, food areas/bars and new restrooms on the south side of the building. Possible some kind of atrium entrance like Xcel has.

Eliminate all the bench seats except the student section. Put in modern seating - nobody wants to sit on a wooden bench.

Eliminate piss troughs in the old mens rooms.

Convert the upper deck on the ends to some kind of either suites or party decks.

See if there's a way to get some natural light in at the top of the building.

And finally, PUT BACK THE DAMN FINAL FOUR AND BIG TEN CHAMP BANNERS.

This is Hinkle today:
Interesting that their court is 90 degrees different than the typical layout like the barn. I wonder if their court was always in that position.

1) The seats are too narrow for a normal sized person, especially if you are holding a winter coat.
2) The drink cup holders limit the leg space, if you are trying to grab your drink, while holding your coat. Good luck if you are over 6'.
3) The viewing angle of many of the seats are not comfortable.

The Barn has outlived it's usefulness and should be replaced with a modern version, that pays respect to the current arena. JMO.
What drink cup holders?

In this case it isn't bad reporting from Shooter. Coyle talked about the study being done at this fall's "Coffee with the AD" loyalty program event. Study for renovation or replacement is supposed to be done January, 2024. Shooter may not always be correct, be he's good on this one. Nothing was discussed at that event about how any of this would be paid for, though.

What I want to write could be a 7,500-word paper, but I'll try to keep this concise. In short, what we need is a rethink of that whole area of campus, not a rethink of just one building. It has a flawed layout. Even before this thread was conceived, I had been thinking about what's right and what's wrong about the football stadium. Most of what's wrong is that there's an arterial street literally a few steps from the place. And when it comes to the Barn, what will make a renovation anywhere from difficult to impossible are the arterial streets that constrict its expansion. I don't think you can realize a kick-ass sports village--whether with a renovated or rebuilt/relocated basketball arena--without dealing with the elephant in the room: the motor traffic that serves as a barrier, hazard, and noise pollution for human gathering and foot traffic.

I don't have a solution, but I do think you have to envision a festival space in and around these buildings, which would be amazing. At the same time, you do need motor thoroughfares to feed that space, and let's face it, some people like to congregate in parking lots. In that regard, I think you do have to give Joe Lunchpail his tar-tar and make a place for that...but off to the side of the festival grounds. How do you do that in the limited acreage between the campus proper and the railroad tracks? Again, I don't have an answer, but I'll die on the hill of reinventing the whole area and not just settling for rebuilding or renovating buildings working around a dysfunctional layout that doesn't allow for human activity.

One of the emerging big brains in my industry is Dr. Patricia Tice, who I've had the pleasure to meet and converse with. She's put out a series of posts recently, and the one that came out yesterday puts it in an interesting way:

The opposite of a tube is a festival space—and they’re absolutely essential to an urban area.

A "tube," in her definition borrowed from another writer, is an arterial street that connects places. It's not good when a tube cuts through a place. Although it's often difficult to avoid in a city, those areas where tubes cut through are degraded. Imagine your living room or family room split by a thoroughfare--in other words, a stream of people cutting through the middle of the room where you and others are trying to have a conversation, watch TV, etc. Nobody would design a house like that, but that's how we have our sports facility village laid out.

Imagine having a plaza/festival ground around and between a complex of sports facilities. That ought to be the vision. I hope Brian reads this forum.
Sounds like they need to eminent domain a bunch of frat houses around the area and cut off several blocks of Fourth Street and convert to pedestrian traffic only.

Two personal experiences were my church in youth in which a block of road separating the church and school were ceded to the church and filled with a hall and additional parking lot and playground.

Notre Dame for years attempted to buy out homes adjacent to the campus but not separated by roads in order to allow the campus to be completed pedestrian. I knew the family of one of the holdouts who simply wanted to die in their home. They have to be long gone by now but I haven’t been on campus in more than a decade so not sure if they completed the project.

Neither on the scale you are talking about, but it is doable. Need to figure out traffic for real people though. Big difference between a football game where many people have all day to hang out on a Saturday versus basketball where most of us need to get in and out efficiently on a weeknight.

Sounds like they need to eminent domain a bunch of frat houses around the area and cut off several blocks of Fourth Street and convert to pedestrian traffic only.

Two personal experiences were my church in youth in which a block of road separating the church and school were ceded to the church and filled with a hall and additional parking lot and playground.

Notre Dame for years attempted to buy out homes adjacent to the campus but not separated by roads in order to allow the campus to be completed pedestrian. I knew the family of one of the holdouts who simply wanted to die in their home. They have to be long gone by now but I haven’t been on campus in more than a decade so not sure if they completed the project.

Neither on the scale you are talking about, but it is doable. Need to figure out traffic for real people though. Big difference between a football game where many people have all day to hang out on a Saturday versus basketball where most of us need to get in and out efficiently on a weeknight.
Quite true! The activity patterns for the different venues are very different, and you have to design for that.

Also true is that, by definition, arterial roads are through facilities. University Avenue goes for miles in each direction. It's not like you can just sever it. (If you did, that traffic ends up on 94 whether it wants to be there or not, and that's not good.)

...In short, what we need is a rethink of that whole area of campus, not a rethink of just one building... I don't think you can realize a kick-ass sports village--whether with a renovated or rebuilt/relocated basketball arena--without dealing with the elephant in the room: the motor traffic that serves as a barrier, hazard, and noise pollution for human gathering and foot traffic.

The odds of that happening are very low. I think that's really cool in history when people design urban spaces like that but it's hard to get. NFL teams are about the only force making that kind of stuff happen. Or when a university a long time ago built a fancy campus from scratch, think church-like stone buildings.

The U is an enormous commuter school and the community seems content with that, although they have worked on more campus-area living.

I doubt anything expensive will happen. Who pays for it?

Interesting that their court is 90 degrees different than the typical layout like the barn. I wonder if their court was always in that position.
It is odd. I don't know the answer to that.

Clever! By moving the court the other way the arch beams land behind the courts -- and not onto the sidelines.

I wonder how wide that building is sideline to sideline. Is it long?

1703820688172.png

Clever! By moving the court the other way the arch beams land behind the courts -- and not onto the sidelines.

View attachment 29215
They changed it in ‘33 because the light was bothering the players.

Also here to make my yearly proclamation that I hate the raised floor in Williams. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_6104.jpeg
    IMG_6104.jpeg
    460.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

View attachment 29215
Downside appears to be the distance from the court if you’re sitting up near the windows in that photo. The pitch of the first 20 or so rows is really shallow. Could cause issues seeing over people in front of you. Ironically a raised floor would help for that.

Posted this over a year ago:

Williams Arena should not last forever. I like the full barn atmosphere a lot, but $375 million for a Texas like arena, with suites that are going to bring in a substantial amount of increased revenue is pretty appealing. It is time people!
We have Big Ten Conference/TV $. to make payments IF we needed some financing. Okay listen up...
Absolutely, more buzz to the program. 100% you still gotta win! Win minimum to be fighting for a top 6 spot in the conference every year with the new teams coming in. A Big Ten championship at least once.
$375 million- find a $100 million guy who doesn't want naming rights to the Arena but only to the Super VIP Club (Cargill, Pohlad? Taylor?Anonymous guy? Fall back plan $25 million each or 10 X 10 whatever works))) -- sell the arena naming rights for $100 million plus -- sell 25 suites to the Fortune 500 companies for $10 million each - that's $450 million... we got $ left over to sign a couple Victor Wembanyama types and we are a Top 5 basketball program over freaking night. Hottest ticket in town!
Get Humphries, McHale, Willie Burton, Jim Peterson and the gang out there rattling the board rooms. Heck we could do this!!! Seems doable and somewhat easy and long over due.
Only problem...we might need a new AD for this to happen...even better news!
It does not need to be on the same footprint. Build a parking ramp next to it on a surface lot.
BTW: PREMIUM SEATING: 44 Suites, 3 premium clubs, 1 super VIP club, 57 loge boxes ...courtesy Maxy So, we still have half or more of the premium areas to sell!! OMG!!! We are making SO much money $$$$$$$$$
Dang it! I forgot to add the concert and trade show paydays. $$

Moody Center on Texas campus
Screenshot 2023-12-29 at 4.22.56 AM.pngScreenshot 2023-12-29 at 4.25.59 AM.png
Evidently got it done about $40 million under budget at $338.
Forbes Story

Last edited:

Posted this over a year ago:

Williams Arena should not last forever. I like the full barn atmosphere a lot, but $375 million for a Texas like arena, with suites that are going to bring in a substantial amount of increased revenue is pretty appealing. It is time people!
We have Big Ten Conference/TV $. to make payments IF we needed some financing. Okay listen up...
Absolutely, more buzz to the program. 100% you still gotta win! Win minimum to be fighting for a top 6 spot in the conference every year with the new teams coming in. A Big Ten championship at least once.
$375 million- find a $100 million guy who doesn't want naming rights to the Arena but only to the Super VIP Club (Cargill, Pohlad? Taylor?Anonymous guy? Fall back plan $25 million each or 10 X 10 whatever works))) -- sell the arena naming rights for $100 million plus -- sell 25 suites to the Fortune 500 companies for $10 million each - that's $450 million... we got $ left over to sign a couple Victor Wembanyama types and we are a Top 5 basketball program over freaking night. Hottest ticket in town!
Get Humphries, McHale, Willie Burton, Jim Peterson and the gang out there rattling the board rooms. Heck we could do this!!! Seems doable and somewhat easy and long over due.
Only problem...we might need a new AD for this to happen...even better news!
It does not need to be on the same footprint. Build a parking ramp next to it on a surface lot.
BTW: PREMIUM SEATING: 44 Suites, 3 premium clubs, 1 super VIP club, 57 loge boxes ...courtesy Maxy So, we still have half or more of the premium areas to sell!! OMG!!! We are making SO much money $$$$$$$$$
Dang it! I forgot to add the concert and trade show paydays. $$

Moody Center on Texas campus
View attachment 29219View attachment 29220
Evidently got it done about $40 million under budget at $338.
Forbes Story

Like I said, who's going to pay for it.

Placeholders for non-existent big donors to pay for naming rights -- this is not Texas -- or deep government pockets that taxpayers will not support doesn't pay for it.

I'm all for it -- if they found a way to pay for it.

All great ideas. Show me the money.

As ive stated in previous posts about the barn, the court needs to be turned 90 degrees, similar to Hinkle and Welsh-Ryan at Northwestern. It would create so much more room under the grandstands and put more seats between the baselines. The suites could go between lower & upper deck instead of the lofts. Might reduce capacity by 1 or 2k but the sign lines would be much better.

View attachment 29215
Coach Norman Dale had the boys from Hickory measure the court in Hoosiers and it was the same size as their little gym in the little hometown :)

Top Bottom