Shooter: Market value suggests it could cost nearly $10,000 a month over the school year to retain Christie; $3-4K/month to keep Payne

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Shooter:

— Market value suggests it could cost nearly $10,000 a month over the school year in name, image and likeness (NIL) money for the Gophers men’s basketball team to retain freshman star Cam Crisitie, and between $3,000 and $4,000 a month to keep sophomore Pharrell Payne next season.

Go Gophers!!

Per Shooter:

— Market value suggests it could cost nearly $10,000 a month over the school year in name, image and likeness (NIL) money for the Gophers men’s basketball team to retain freshman star Cam Crisitie, and between $3,000 and $4,000 a month to keep sophomore Pharrell Payne next season.

Go Gophers!!
These numbers seem to be much more realistic than $250K to Battle.

Last edited:

I hate these "market value" estimates. Seems like they are pulled out of thin air.....and may create unrealistic expectations.

Makes sense to me, only way gophers compete is if we have adequate nil money...

You guys need to tithe 10%!

Fold the program then. NIL will be the end if college sports for me

We kept the football guys through January and February. Hopefully, they are still here in August.
If so, it's likely the basketball guys won't lack NIL money either. Doesn't mean they may not transfer for a 100 other reasons.

What will his article be if they are still on the roster next year. Evaluations don't mean anything? U NIL on par with market? U players turn down NIL $$ to stay? Johnson a great coach and players are buying into the program?

I have no idea if it's true or not, but I really hope for Cam's sake that he isn't playing with his future for $120,000.

He needs to play for the coach and the system that best prepares him for the next level. A first round pick's rookie scale in 2025 will be close $2.5 million. Even if he has no loyalty, I cannot see how chasing $120,000 to go to a brand new situation with a new coach and a new environment makes any sense for him.

It sounds like Christie will feel out the NBA or be back. How would I know, but I would agree he probably wouldn't go to another college team, based on the various clues. NBA or here.

With NIL, Minnesota as an institution, in a pro sports city, can't compete with the Penn States of NIL. And yet there's enough of a draw overall to Minnesota -- all things considered -- to keep players here.

Garcia came here. He's the kind of talent that would show up on an NIL value sheet. All these in-state recruits chose here. There must be enough of a draw to be here.

Part of it is CBJ. They obviously like playing together and for CBJ.

CBJ has done a good job on recruiting.

All these critics who can't see how this program has been rebuilt... Yea, I know, targets haven't been hit yet. But look at the overall picture. We'll say not there but getting there. Close.

We the fans, will need to donate to our NIL fund to keep & attract quality players.

I think Shooter is pulling numbers out of his arse, but we WILL need to give our core players a significant raise if we want this group back again next season.

Donating is easy, and even small amounts help.

It sounds like Christie will feel out the NBA or be back. How would I know, but I would agree he probably wouldn't go to another college team, based on the various clues. NBA or here.

With NIL, Minnesota as an institution, in a pro sports city, can't compete with the Penn States of NIL. And yet there's enough of a draw overall to Minnesota -- all things considered -- to keep players here.

Garcia came here. He's the kind of talent that would show up on an NIL value sheet. All these in-state recruits chose here. There must be enough of a draw to be here.

Part of it is CBJ. They obviously like playing together and for CBJ.

CBJ has done a good job on recruiting.

All these critics who can't see how this program has been rebuilt... Yea, I know, targets haven't been hit yet. But look at the overall picture. We'll say not there but getting there. Close.

We don't have to be the highest bidder, but we have to be competitive.

We kept the football guys through January and February. Hopefully, they are still here in August.
If so, it's likely the basketball guys won't lack NIL money either. Doesn't mean they may not transfer for a 100 other reasons.
This is correct, but we kept the football guys because we were able to pay them enough, that leaving didnt make sense. They didnt stay just becuase they love the U.

If there is such a thing as an NIL budget, the value for the current Gophers players went up from last year. Can Minnesota afford it?

In Gophers football, they wisely brought in a veteran QB, a good get. That was the top priority. They got it. But then they didn't go on a big splurge elsewhere. Can't have it all.

Is the current Gophers basketball team approaching a "splurge" budget? Can the Gophers keep all these guys? I don't know.

They obviously enjoy playing together and for CBJ.

CBJ got Garcia to come here.

Battle left. Elijah “The Prophet” Hawkins arrived. Can CBJ hold what he's got.

Finally, NIL can't be everything or NIL superpower Penn State would be top 10. And Battle would be playing for Ohio State in the top 10 too. Or maybe I have that half wrong. I don't know.

There's a secret blend. The secret sauce. What makes a player want to be here.

What keeps this current team intact?

Part of that is C B J. And then it's what the guys want.

I don’t comment much on here but logged in because this intrigues me a bit.

I’m not a scout or very familiar with Max’s one year at MSU, so I can’t comment on defense and other facets, but by the box score, Cam is having a better freshman year than Max.

NIL is great for college to keep Edey, Dickinson, Bacot…these guys may not get drafted and are very unlikely to make it to a lucrative 2nd NBA contract. In football it’s great for Nix, Penix, guys assumed to be drafted beyond round 2 in the NFL going into a given season. Those QBs did play their way up, but they stayed for college $ because it was worth it to take college NIL and try to move up the draft instead of be a later round pick. Keeps them around longer.

So Cam, who is his own man, is potentially going to be graded higher than Max and be nearly guaranteed $2+ million and be one year closer to a massive 2nd contract.

My money is on the NBA for him.

The only reason to stay in college is if he thinks he can have an All American caliber season and play himself into a guaranteed lotto position. In that case, he can do it here and we’ve got a great shot to keep him.

Given his brother’s history and that he probably won’t help his stock THAT much next year, I would bet on him going pro.

Put it this way, this is the gamble or choice:

-Stay in college for some good $ for a year ($500k?) and gamble on yourself that you play yourself into the lottery in one year. If so, you sign a 4 year, $25 million deal at age 21.

-Do what Max did and leave now to get drafted in the late 1st/early 2nd. Guarantee yourself $2-3 million over 2 years and if you bet on yourself and show you’re an NBA player like Max, a 3 year, $20 million deal is coming your way at age 22 on top of what you already earned.

All this assumes he's that good.

Season still has games ahead. Stay tuned.

All this assumes he's that good.

Season still has games ahead. Stay tuned.
The season is basically over.

He has shot better than his brother did at all levels of the floor. His brother got drafted. To me, there isn’t much wiggle room.

Per Reusse podcast: Mn NIL money, Dinkytown, is run by football guys, Fleck followers, and most of the NIL money goes to the football team.

Per Reusse podcast: Mn NIL money, Dinkytown, is run by football guys, Fleck followers, and most of the NIL money goes to the football team.
Wait, so most of the money goes to the team with 100+ members vs. the team with 15? Shocking. Next let's see if Pat can tell us which team spends more on equipment!

Top Bottom