Shooter: Mark Coyle is expected to receive consideration for the Kentucky a.d. job if he gets an endorsement from men’s basketball coach John Calipari

Yes it is for the overwhelming vast majority of people and for almost every penny brought into the department. If it weren't for those two sports, college athletics would essentially be club sports.

So yes, they matter the most. If anything else matters (at all), could be a debate.

Let's put it this way, if you are the AD and your men's basketball team is great and your football team is great - - you would be an absolute success even if EVERY other program was terrible. Now if you flipped it, if your men's bb team was putrid and your football team was putrid - - you would be looking for another job even if EVERY other program was great.

They are the only thing that matters.
This isn't even true. Over 20% of the ticket revenue for the U comes from sports other than football or men's basketball. Also, the BTN broadcasts many of these other sporting events. Yes, those two sports bring in a large portion of the revenue, but they also consume a majority of what they bring in because of their expenses.

Thank goodnesses that many AD's do not have your myopic view of sports. The US would not be able to field an olympic team and millions of youths would not be able to partake in sports.

Reactions: MRJ

This isn't even true. Over 20% of the ticket revenue for the U comes from sports other than football or men's basketball. Also, the BTN broadcasts many of these other sporting events. Yes, those two sports bring in a large portion of the revenue, but they also consume a majority of what they bring in because of their expenses.

Thank goodnesses that many AD's do not have your myopic view of sports. The US would not be able to field an olympic team and millions of youths would not be able to partake in sports.

So how is it practically every other nation without NCAA sports fields Olympic teams? Sure, some of them export them to US Colleges. There would be other ways to do it, perhaps better (ie Norway).

Yeah, so you're saying that 2 sports bring in 80% of the TICKET revenue while the remaining 23 sports pull in the other 20% of TICKET revenue. You're also completely ignoring the BTN, which only exists because of football and men's basketball and brings in astronomical amounts of revenue. You're also completely ignoring costs. Those other sports, other than men's hockey, do not pay for themselves. We lose money on those sports. They do not bring in a large portion of the revenue, they bring in a large portion of the cost. Thank goodness you're not working a job that actually balances a budget sheet.

As far as AD's, every single one of them holds my myopic view of sports. Every single one of them in a P5 job. You live in a fairytale.

They actually all have that view.

Football matters and so does Mens basketball. That is it.

And this is coming from a guy that has all girls that play the heck out of softball, basketball, etc.

I get it, you like the other sports. So do I. I am a big fan of the Softball program at the U and have in the past liked to watch Womens Bball and Mens Hockey.

Actually, fundraising is what matters to ADs, no matter where the money comes from.

Football and men's hoops generate revenue and from a budgetary perspective, they obviously matter the most. But trust me, most ADs are tasked with fundraising outside of gate, media and merchandise revenue across the board. Why? Because every AD already knows just about what to expect from football and men's basketball budgets. Additional revenue outside of just their sports is what power five schools (and just about any college athletic program) looks for the most. As a result, an AD'S biggest job is making sure wealthy donors and sponsors with large donations flow in, which wouldn't be a problem for a blueblood hoops program like Kentucky.

As to the other sports not mattering, that's also BS unless you're simply discussing revenue. If they didn't matter, no school would field more than four sports at most. Yet, every power five school has at least 15 varsity sports. And it's not because they "don't matter".

I guess it just matters where your individual priorities lie. In terms of revenue, football and men's hoops matter more. But no AD will tell you "our other sports don't matter."

Actually, fundraising is what matters to ADs, no matter where the money comes from.

Football and men's hoops generate revenue and from a budgetary perspective, they obviously matter the most. But trust me, most ADs are tasked with fundraising outside of gate, media and merchandise revenue across the board. Why? Because every AD already knows just about what to expect from football and men's basketball budgets. Additional revenue outside of just their sports is what power five schools (and just about any college athletic program) looks for the most. As a result, an AD'S biggest job is making sure wealthy donors and sponsors with large donations flow in, which wouldn't be a problem for a blueblood hoops program like Kentucky.

As to the other sports not mattering, that's also BS unless you're simply discussing revenue. If they didn't matter, no school would field more than four sports at most. Yet, every power five school has at least 15 varsity sports. And it's not because they "don't matter".

I guess it just matters where your individual priorities lie. In terms of revenue, football and men's hoops matter more. But no AD will tell you "our other sports don't matter."
No AD will tell you "our other sports don't matter" but the performance in football and men's basketball (and at certain schools specific other sports such as Hockey for Minnesota) will determine the AD's fate. Fundraising is exceptionally more difficult for a school that is not successful in football or men's basketball...we see that at Minnesota. We have entire generations of graduates or just fans of Minnesota who have not seen as much as a Big Ten title in football and its now been a quarter century since we saw one in basketball. The big boosters have been primarily older who were around for a more successful period. That group is naturally dwindling in size and there is nobody to replace them. Imagine going to someone whose college experience was watching Mason beat up on creampuffs in the non conference and lose in the Big Ten and Monson make 1 NCAA tournament and then has watched the Gophers continue to (mostly) flouder for another 15 years while they built their career and life. They are now making big money and get a phone call asking for a big donation to Gopher athletics...Now compare that to making that same call to someone who went to Wisconsin or Iowa over that same time period 15 years ago and has since seen conference championships, Final Fours, and/or Rose Bowls (sure they're probably less successful in life but just go with the analogy :) )

They really don't matter as far as the AD's job security. I enjoy the other sports and I think they are an asset to the University, but we're talking about this in terms of the AD's job. No AD will be fired if his football and basketball team are successful (barring some sort of scandal) if ALL of the other sports are struggling to win. However, if you flipped that and ALL of the other sports were successful except for football and basketball, the AD would be looking for a new job.

As far as fundraising, sure, that's an important part of the job. But again, I don't believe any AD who has a winning basketball and football team has any risk of losing their job. In fact, I would imagine it would make fundraising a whole lot easier.

…As a result, an AD'S biggest job is making sure wealthy donors and sponsors with large donations flow in, which wouldn't be a problem for a blueblood hoops program like Kentucky…

As long as you are doing what the big donors want you to do. Of course winning helps, but with big money donors comes big time meddling. It is not all a bed of roses.

Top Bottom