Shooter: Mark Coyle is expected to receive consideration for the Kentucky a.d. job if he gets an endorsement from men’s basketball coach John Calipari

ROFL. Kentucky is one of the worst power five football programs in the nation. Better athletic program overall? Yeah....I think so. But when you toss hockey into the fold....and consider football.....the Kentucky program isn't arms and legs above the Gophers.

Good lord. Get a hold of yourself.
News flash. Hockey means nothing. It's right there with Womens diving or canoe paddling. No one cares outside of MN and ND.

Also, you might want to check some facts about that football team. Very, very simliar to the Gophers the since they hired their last coach. They are also 2-0 right now...

Oh good lord.

Some of you just have maroon colored glasses on.

I LOVE the gophers, but the UofM is one of the bottom power 5 jobs in the country no matter what sport or athletics position you are talking about(other than Hockey).

Kentucky has a top 3 basketball program. They can get away with ANYTHING as long as they win. Their football team plays in the best conference in the country. They don't have to worry about the Woke PC BS going on in this state's metro area.

This isn't a positive for all AD's. In truth the salaries are very comparable. Budget may be another issue and something that would deem as a positive to Coyle. To say it's a bottom power 5 job is laughable though. We literally pulled Coyle from Syracuse.

ROFL. Kentucky is one of the worst power five football programs in the nation. Better athletic program overall? Yeah....I think so. But when you toss hockey into the fold....and consider football.....the Kentucky program isn't arms and legs above the Gophers.

I hate to break it to you, most universities are pretty liberal

But feel free to keep throwing out woke/PC cliches like it means something

Oh good lord.

I LOVE the gophers, but the UofM is one of the bottom power 5 jobs in the country no matter what sport or athletics position you are talking about(other than Hockey).
This is also an exaggeration. Just in the B1G alone, the Gopher basketball job is better than PSU, Northwestern, Rutgers or Nebraska and on par with Iowa, Purdue etc. Not to mention schools in other conferences like Washington State, Oregon State, TCU, etc. It's nowhere near the bottom.

It's harder for football, but there are plenty of places like Rutgers, NW, Indiana, BC, Duke, Syracuse, Kansas etc. that are clearly worse.

Reactions: MRJ

Oh good lord.

Kentucky has a top 3 basketball program. They can get away with ANYTHING as long as they win. Their football team plays in the best conference in the country. They don't have to worry about the Woke PC BS going on in this state's metro area.
Ha HA ha

This is also an exaggeration. Just in the B1G alone, the Gopher basketball job is better than PSU, Northwestern, Rutgers or Nebraska and on par with Iowa, Purdue etc. Not to mention schools in other conferences like Washington State, Oregon State, TCU, etc. It's nowhere near the bottom.

It's harder for football, but there are plenty of places like Rutgers, NW, Indiana, BC, Duke, Syracuse, Kansas etc. that are clearly worse.
I don't think the Gophers are bottom 5 nationally, but it's flat out crazy to say the Gopher program is "on par" with Purdue in stature, either currently or historically. Probably not Iowa either.

I would also bet on Rutgers being a better program through the rest of this decade if Pikiell rides it out in Piscataway.

Last edited:

Not even close to Purdue.

Not even close to Purdue.
This is getting to be case study in myopic thought. Athletic departments are much more than just football or basketball....

In the Directors cup standings
2020-2021 MN is 28th, Purdue is 68th, Iowa is 54th
i skipped 2019-2020 because of the covid skew...
2018-2019 MN if 20th, Purdue is 55th, Iowa is 38th
2017-2018 MN is 19th, Purdue is 39th, Iowa is 54th

Kentucky has a very solid football team and one of the better coaches in the country. They also routinely draw 60K fans to their games, even during their lean years.

MN is a P5 school in one of the top conferences in the Country. But - they have not had a lot of success in the major sports. Most of the success has been in VB, Softball, Wrestling, etc.
and fund-raising at MN is a challenge. (Athlete's Village, etc.)

So, there are pros and cons to the MN job.

Kentucky is college basketball royalty. I honestly don't know how good KY is in other sports.

So the question is - would you rather be at a school (MN) with a number of decent programs, but no major program that operates at a championship level -------or would you rather be at a school (KY) that is dominated by one sport - with that sport in the running for national honors on a regular basis?

I think it comes down to personal preference.

Maybe not by most measures. But we have one: Final Fours the last 40 years: 1-0.
If it's framed as Final Fours starting in 1980 that have not been vacated then the advantage switches to the Boilers 1-0.

Let's take a quick look at some "Most Measures" just this Century:

Won a Game in the NCAA Tourney - Purdue 11 / Gophers 2
Advanced to the Sweet 16 - Purdue 6 / Gophers 0
Advanced to Elite 8 - Purdue 2 / Gophers 0
Big 10 Regular Season Titles - Purdue 3 / Gophers 0
Big 10 Tourney Champions - Purdue 1 / Gophers 0
Head Coaches shown the door - Purdue 1 / Gophers 3 (4 if you count Molinari)

Last edited:

MN is a P5 school in one of the top conferences in the Country. But - they have not had a lot of success in the major sports. Most of the success has been in VB, Softball, Wrestling, etc.
and fund-raising at MN is a challenge. (Athlete's Village, etc.)

So, there are pros and cons to the MN job.

Kentucky is college basketball royalty. I honestly don't know how good KY is in other sports.

So the question is - would you rather be at a school (MN) with a number of decent programs, but no major program that operates at a championship level -------or would you rather be at a school (KY) that is dominated by one sport - with that sport in the running for national honors on a regular basis?

I think it comes down to personal preference.
Don't forget that you have the opportunity to build the football and basketball programs into national prominence at Minnesota. At Kentucky you just have the opportunity to fail in basketball...

Not to mention the differences in the level of education:
UM - ranked 22nd in best education, 78% graduation rate, 57% acceptance rate
UK - ranked 127th in education, 63% graduation rate, 96% acceptance rate

Do not forget that the schools exist for delivering an education.

If it's framed as Final Fours starting in 1980 that have not been vacated then the advantage switches to the Boilers 1-0.

Let's take a quick looks at some "Most Measures" just this Century:

BFD

This is getting to be case study in myopic thought. Athletic departments are much more than just football or basketball....

Yep and none of that stuff matters. It's all about football and basketball.

Let's take a quick look at some "Most Measures" just this Century:

Good stuff.

Yep, I’m not sure how anyone could compare the Gopher program to Purdue’s, either currently or historically. It’s not even close.

There are many different ways to look at it, but it's a pretty pointless exercise to compare AD jobs that are neither in the Texas/Ohio State/Georgia stratosphere nor the mid-major level. Anything in the middle (which would include Minnesota and Kentucky) comes down to the individual making the decision.

There are a ton of considerations likely very important to an AD when selecting a job other than recent history of success in football/men's basketball. Who are your major boosters and what do they expect? Does the school president support athletics to a level that you are happy with? What is your current contract situation? What does your conference's media deal look like? Recent NCAA sanctions? Do you want a stable situation where things are already running smoothly, or do you want to the risk/reward of rebuilding?

Minnesota's athletic department ranks 24th in revenue, which is one of the most if not the most important thing to an athletic director. We are about as middle class as it gets compared to the rest of the Power 5.

You act as if anything other than football or men's basketball matter.

They don't, really...

News flash. Hockey means nothing. It's right there with Womens diving or canoe paddling. No one cares outside of MN and ND.

Also, you might want to check some facts about that football team. Very, very simliar to the Gophers the since they hired their last coach. They are also 2-0 right now...
This isn't true. The U is making close $10 million per year from Hockey. It's a net positive (pretty big one). Women's diving is a cost.

At the end of the day Coyle will decide what jobs will be best for him. I know this, he is the best AD we have had in a very long time.

That is simple not true.
Yes it is for the overwhelming vast majority of people and for almost every penny brought into the department. If it weren't for those two sports, college athletics would essentially be club sports.

So yes, they matter the most. If anything else matters (at all), could be a debate.

Let's put it this way, if you are the AD and your men's basketball team is great and your football team is great - - you would be an absolute success even if EVERY other program was terrible. Now if you flipped it, if your men's bb team was putrid and your football team was putrid - - you would be looking for another job even if EVERY other program was great.

They are the only thing that matters.

At the end of the day Coyle will decide what jobs will be best for him. I know this, he is the best AD we have had in a very long time.
I have a feeling if this was a debate about the best pizza in the Twin Cities you'd say "at the end of the day, you need to decide which pizza you enjoy the best". :)

Top Bottom