Shooter: In order to recruit on an elite national men’s basketball level, Gophers will need NIL deals of $300K/year for several players

We will see. He’s not the only one who’s said that. Tony Bennett is on board with it. Teams like Creighton have a certain amount the whole team gets. He’s not alone in that viewpoint. I highly doubt if Battle continues to blow up and gets offered 50k in an NIL deal that Ben would say no. He’s more not into getting into bidding wars. There are a lot of talented players that don’t want/need to be bought or go to the highest bidder.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Ben has said he multiple times on podcasts and other things about the NIL that he doesn’t want one of his guys making a ton while the others gets none.
Exactly my point...Chatman will go elsewhere or Ben will change his mind..

Exactly my point...Chatman will go elsewhere or Ben will change his mind..
How do you know Chatman is gonna get a deal that is way better than ones that Garcia has? I don’t think Chatman is getting 300k to go to Kansas. He’s very good, but he’s looking at more reasonable figures that wouldn’t be ridiculously out of line. Plus we have collectives working to get all players money.

How do you know Chatman is gonna get a deal that is way better than ones that Garcia has? I don’t think Chatman is getting 300k to go to Kansas. He’s very good, but he’s looking at more reasonable figures that wouldn’t be ridiculously out of line. Plus we have collectives working to get all players money.
Well, you may know a lot more than I do. I'm under the impression Garcia is here because he truly wanted to be with his family. Not because he got a bunch of money from the Gophers.

Well, a couple things: Bill Self seems to wear a teflon coaching suit...he's on tape somewhere telling somebody to pay a player...yet Kansas skates along. Who is likely to offer more money to Chatman? MN or Kansas? Did you really ask that?

I like the collective approach. It's perfect for Ben. It's great for our athletes. I certainly don't think it will be enough money for someone making his decision where to go to school based on money as a determining factor to choose the Gophers over the school with the bag of cash for the individual player.

How did John Wooden get all those elite players? It was not because they won a lot or because he could coach. Sam Gilbert paid the money to recruit the players. Bill Self has a guy too! It is possible Kansas chooses to go emphasize a different player and Chatman comes back to us but if they really want him I don't think we compete with their offer.

Well, you may know a lot more than I do. I'm under the impression Garcia is here because he truly wanted to be with his family. Not because he got a bunch of money from the Gophers.

Well, a couple things: Bill Self seems to wear a teflon coaching suit...he's on tape somewhere telling somebody to pay a player...yet Kansas skates along. Who is likely to offer more money to Chatman? MN or Kansas? Did you really ask that?

I like the collective approach. It's perfect for Ben. It's great for our athletes. I certainly don't think it will be enough money for someone making his decision where to go to school based on money as a determining factor to choose the Gophers over the school with the bag of cash for the individual player.

How did John Wooden get all those elite players? It was not because they won a lot or because he could coach. Sam Gilbert paid the money to recruit the players. Bill Self has a guy too! It is possible Kansas chooses to go emphasize a different player and Chatman comes back to us but if they really want him I don't think we compete with their offer.
Yeah, that doesn’t mean Garcia isn’t making NIL money. I didn’t say Kansas wouldn’t offer more money, but if we are talking about 10k and there is an easier path to playing time here? He could choose here. Why does everyone think Chatman is going to the highest bidder?

The problem is that it's here now, there was an article about a club called the Matador Club that is giving every Texas Tech football player 25k a year, that is 2.5 million dollars a year, it doesn't take much to see how the money funneled to basketball players is going to explode. One big donor giving a couple of guys big money is going to change the landscape of college basketball. I think the TT money is from a couple of oil guys, much easier when you have one or two donors than trying to patch together a boatload of small donors.

We will see. He’s not the only one who’s said that. Tony Bennett is on board with it. Teams like Creighton have a certain amount the whole team gets. He’s not alone in that viewpoint. I highly doubt if Battle continues to blow up and gets offered 50k in an NIL deal that Ben would say no. He’s more not into getting into bidding wars. There are a lot of talented players that don’t want/need to be bought or go to the highest bidder.
Bolded: excellent, and those are the types of players we should be targeting anyway.

The U is never going to be a place, nor should it be a place, where we win men's basketball titles because we had a nice crop of one-and-dones.

(was also the gist of what I was trying to get at)

The problem is that it's here now, there was an article about a club called the Matador Club that is giving every Texas Tech football player 25k a year, that is 2.5 million dollars a year, it doesn't take much to see how the money funneled to basketball players is going to explode. One big donor giving a couple of guys big money is going to change the landscape of college basketball. I think the TT money is from a couple of oil guys, much easier when you have one or two donors than trying to patch together a boatload of small donors.
Bolded: the crazy thing is that there are enough wealthy people who love a program that has never amounted to much in football, willing to try to force it with that much money.

Texas Tech will never surpass Texas, A&M, or OU in football. Seems like a pretty big waste of $$$

That’s easy to say, but if you grew up in poverty, that 50k can really help out. Plus one bad injury and there may be no prospects. I get your point, but I understand where kids are coming from. Plus Creighton is a really good bball school recently.
When I think of Creighton, I’m always reminded of the Kevin Ross story.

Bolded: excellent, and those are the types of players we should be targeting anyway.

The U is never going to be a place, nor should it be a place, where we win men's basketball titles because we had a nice crop of one-and-dones.

(was also the gist of what I was trying to get at)
Yeah and I think this staff is targeting those guys. Some (not you) miss that point I think.

Bolded: the crazy thing is that there are enough wealthy people who love a program that has never amounted to much in football, willing to try to force it with that much money.

Texas Tech will never surpass Texas, A&M, or OU in football. Seems like a pretty big waste of $$$
Over the long haul probably not, but there were periods during the Leach era where they were competitive with, or better than some of these programs. I don't blame a rich guy for wanting to revive them a bit.

Never say never. Depends upon how much recruiting money they can get.

Texas A&M over the last decade has been solid but not spectacular. What they did in recruiting for this season was unprecedented though: 24 ESPN top 300 players. They put Alabama to shame and Saban complained about them buying their team.

this might be the real issue:

Let's say the Gophers are recruiting Joe Stud. Joe Stud sits down with Ben Johnson and he says "Coach, I like you, I like your school and I like the program. But the collective at Directional State is promising me $100,000 in NIL if I go there. If your NIL program can match the offer, I will commit to MN. But my family really needs the money, so if you can't match the offer, I'm going to Directional State."

that is the 'come-to-Jesus' moment for the Gopher program.

as a recruit, if your #1 concern is "making it to the NBA," well, you can do that from anywhere, including MN.

If your #1 concern is "where can I make the most NIL $," then that is a different and shorter list of schools.

barring some unforeseen turn of events, the Gophers are not going to be on that second list.
They will not be on the first list, either. If you are on that list, you want to go somewhere with a high likelihood to win a national championship in your one year of college.

Let's say the Gophers are recruiting Joe Stud. Joe Stud sits down with Ben Johnson and he says "Coach, I like you, I like your school and I like the program. But the collective at Directional State is promising me $100,000 in NIL if I go there. If your NIL program can match the offer, I will commit to MN. But my family really needs the money, so if you can't match the offer, I'm going to Directional State."

You mean the "come to jesus" for the fans/boosters who actually make NIL happen. Ben, Coyle, and others can only legally do so much. That's what happened with Garcia last year, I don't think we have the donors honestly. I also think it will settle down a bit.

You mean the "come to jesus" for the fans/boosters who actually make NIL happen. Ben, Coyle, and others can only legally do so much. That's what happened with Garcia last year, I don't think we have the donors honestly. I also think it will settle down a bit.
Legalese discussed here at Mn. Meanwhile at the blue bloods……

Never say never. Depends upon how much recruiting money they can get.

Texas A&M over the last decade has been solid but not spectacular. What they did in recruiting for this season was unprecedented though: 24 ESPN top 300 players. They put Alabama to shame and Saban complained about them buying their team.
I honestly don't think Saban was being critical of A&M. The remarks were made in front of his own boosters, as in..."Step it up!"

This is pretty much why Bucky Irving transferred to Oregon, so it has already happened in football. I'm sure both Ben and PJ are losing recruits due to this same situation.

Then how did the exact same recruits, in the exact same situations, ever make it in all the previous years?

Sure, there were bag men. Maybe the same conversation took place, except instead of "NIL" some other words were used.

We didn't have the bag men then, and we won't have the NIL collective now or going forward.

Don't need those players.

Last edited:

This is pretty much why Bucky Irving transferred to Oregon, so it has already happened in football. I'm sure both Ben and PJ are losing recruits due to this same situation.
"Losing" in the sense of, 5 years ago we also would've lost them for "money" issues.

Disagree it's a situation where 5 years ago the recruit would have came here, but now they won't come here solely due to NIL.

Bucky obviously doesn't count, because he came here before NIL was a thing. If NIL had been a thing during his recruiting, he wouldn't have come here in the first place.

Then how did the exact same recruits, in the exact same situations, ever make it in all the previous years?

Sure, there were bag men. Maybe the same conversation took place, except instead of "NIL" some other words were used.

We didn't have the bag men then, and we won't have the NIL collective now or going forward.

Don't need em.
I'm with you on the bag man part, but I do disagree with the not needing a collective part. We have some already (one that was started by actual players) and they should help quite a bit, but it is a large undertaking. NIL is still new and a lot of this will settle down soon I think. What's going to be interesting is the balance between donations to the school and donations to players.

I'm with you on the bag man part, but I do disagree with the not needing a collective part. We have some already (one that was started by actual players) and they should help quite a bit, but it is a large undertaking. NIL is still new and a lot of this will settle down soon I think. What's going to be interesting is the balance between donations to the school and donations to players.
Sorry, poorly worded. Not that we don't need collectives. We do.

We don't need (in my opinion) a guy from outside the midwest who will only come here because we gave him the biggest NIL contract.

Don't need em.
No. You don't need bagmen. You need to be competitive with what is legal. What if we were the only school in the Big Ten that didn't offer 13 (scratch that....... 11) full ride scholarships. We would not compete.

I'm with you on the bag man part, but I do disagree with the not needing a collective part. We have some already (one that was started by actual players) and they should help quite a bit, but it is a large undertaking. NIL is still new and a lot of this will settle down soon I think.
I cannot think of any situation where more money being thrown at things in college sports has settled down. It feels like the arms race always ramps up. Better facilities, weight rooms, dorms are all part of it.
What's going to be interesting is the balance between donations to the school and donations to players.
Spot on. Some companies will figure out that money given to Gabels and Coyle may not be spent to win games (see past history)- whereas NIL money can be a direct contributor to winning. I'd be all for anyone choosing this direction!

Legalese discussed here at Mn. Meanwhile at the blue bloods……
I made the mistake of taking off the ignore feature to see what another poster had responded to. I forgot all about you, BB! What a pleasant last few months it has been!

The U can't do anything right so I highly recommend going to the Duke Blue Devils board! Can I pay you enough in NIL to make that happen?!

Top Bottom