Shooter: In order to recruit on an elite national men’s basketball level, Gophers will need NIL deals of $300K/year for several players

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shooter:

In order to recruit on an elite national men’s basketball level, some experts figure the Gophers will need major Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) deals for several players, probably in the range of $25,000 apiece per month. Yes, that’s per month.

Go Gophers!!

per Shooter:

In order to recruit on an elite national men’s basketball level, some experts figure the Gophers will need major Name, Image and Likeness (NIL) deals for several players, probably in the range of $25,000 apiece per month. Yes, that’s per month.

Go Gophers!!
This is definitely misinformation 🤦🏾‍♂️. There aren’t that many recruits getting 300k per year deals in college hoops. The ones that are will be pros

This is definitely misinformation 🤦🏾‍♂️. There aren’t that many recruits getting 300k per year deals in college hoops. The ones that are will be pros

+o4, shooter way off on this one

per Shooter:

Go Gophers!!
That’s almost more than I make! 😳

I see two separate issues here.

1. do the Gophers want to compete for "elite" level national recruits?

2. If they do, how much NIL $ will they need to be competitive?

I think you can have a very solid program without chasing the 5*/1-and-done level of recruits. Those are the guys who will require the most NIL $.

But, realistically, even the next level 4* players will probably require some amount of NIL to be competitive. Let's say $100,000 a year or more.

So the Gophers will need some type of NIL program if they want to contend for a conference title or make a run in the NCAA tournament. this is going to be part of the cost of fielding a D-1 major-conference athletic program.

A year ago, who would have believed that a transfer to Miami would pick of a 400k per year contract? Shooter may be early with this amount but for basketball I don't think needing that kind of money to compete for Big Ten championships type players is going to be that far off in a few years.

A year ago, who would have believed that a transfer to Miami would pick of a 400k per year contract? Shooter may be early with this amount but for basketball I don't think needing that kind of money to compete for Big Ten championships type players is going to be that far off in a few years.
You’re assuming prices escalate. Novelty will wear off. People with money may not continue to throw it around for underachieving recruits. Lots of variables. Everyone who assumes there isn’t a NIL bubble will be shocked in a couple years.

The top 10 or 15 programs in the country will pay that amount per month and more.
The end of college sports is coming !!!

Miami has had boosters cheat in sports since the 80s. It’s not that far fetched. Some schools will give out deals like Miami but that will definitely not become the norm. Schools will be in tough spots where boosters will have to choose between NIL & just normal donations to the program to help upgrade facilities and take care of other things that also attract recruits

If Ben doesn't want 13 players because he fears he can't keep them happy....how's Ben gonna keep his other 9, 10 guys happy if only one player is getting $25,000 a month and driving an Escalade?
Seems unlikely for many reasons we go that route.

I mean, it did say elite national level. So yeah, if you actually wanted to do that, you probably would indeed need to find those level of guys those large of NIL deals.

But then as others pointed out, we've never recruited at that level anyway, save for a few MN blue chips that decided to stay home

I mean, it did say elite national level. So yeah, if you actually wanted to do that, you probably would indeed need to find those level of guys those large of NIL deals.

But then as others pointed out, we've never recruited at that level anyway, save for a few MN blue chips that decided to stay home
If we have a local 4 * who can pick up 50k + a year at a school like Creighton - who is putting together an aggressive NIL program, we are not likely to get him, if we can't match.

Seems sad to think that a legit 4*, who knows the goal is NBA in say 3-4 years and that's where actual, real money would be made, would go to Omaha, Nebraska to play in a lower level league, because their collective found him $50k NIL deal while ours "only" found him a $25k NIL deal.

Look at the bigger picture, kid.

Seems sad to think that a legit 4*, who knows the goal is NBA in say 3-4 years and that's where actual, real money would be made, would go to Omaha, Nebraska to play in a lower level league, because their collective found him $50k NIL deal while ours "only" found him a $25k NIL deal.

You are no less likely to make the NBA coming from Creighton than you are from here. Over the last two seasons, Creighton had 5 players who appeared in NBA games. We had two during that time.

You are no less likely to make the NBA coming from Creighton than you are from here. Over the last two seasons, Creighton had 5 players who appeared in NBA games. We had two during that time.
Regardless, is anyone going to claim that the Big East is an equivalent level of basketball as the Big Ten?

And Omaha is like what, a 4th or 5th rate cow town?

Regardless, is anyone going to claim that the Big East is an equivalent level of basketball as the Big Ten?

And Omaha is like what, a 4th or 5th rate cow town?

Well, I would say that Omaha is more of a metropolis than Iowa City, West Lafayette, or Bloomington.

The Big East is a smaller conference but it placed the same number of teams in the final 16 as the Big Ten last year and also placed one in the final four. Two of its tournament teams (Providence and Creighton) lost tight games to the eventual champion. In the previous season, they had only four teams in the tournament but two made the final 16. That was one more than the Big Ten with 9 teams in the tournament.

I don't get enthusiastic about these "best conference" arguments.

The Big Ten is a mediocre basketball conference. Don't oversell it or believe the hype. When in doubt, pick against the Big Ten in March Madness.

The Big East, ACC, Big XII, and the SEC are all better.

It's sad but true.

That’s easy to say, but if you grew up in poverty, that 50k can really help out. Plus one bad injury and there may be no prospects. I get your point, but I understand where kids are coming from. Plus Creighton is a really good bball school recently.

as a recruit, if your #1 concern is "making it to the NBA," well, you can do that from anywhere, including MN.

If your #1 concern is "where can I make the most NIL $," then that is a different and shorter list of schools.

barring some unforeseen turn of events, the Gophers are not going to be on that second list.

If Ben doesn't want 13 players because he fears he can't keep them happy....how's Ben gonna keep his other 9, 10 guys happy if only one player is getting $25,000 a month and driving an Escalade?
Seems unlikely for many reasons we go that route.
Ben has said he multiple times on podcasts and other things about the NIL that he doesn’t want one of his guys making a ton while the others gets none.

Ben has said he multiple times on podcasts and other things about the NIL that he doesn’t want one of his guys making a ton while the others gets none.
Nobody wants that. However, there is reality and we will have to deal with it. Taking an egalitarian view of NIL will get keep you at or near the bottom.

as a recruit, if your #1 concern is "making it to the NBA," well, you can do that from anywhere, including MN.

If your #1 concern is "where can I make the most NIL $," then that is a different and shorter list of schools.

barring some unforeseen turn of events, the Gophers are not going to be on that second list.
I don't think those are the only benchmarks. It's not a binary choice. A kid may want to have a chance to win, a chance to show he can be in the NBA and also earn as much NIL as possible on the way to both. If two good schools are offering and one is offering a scholly while the other is offering NIL and the scholly....NIL is going to be a difference maker in a lot of cases. I agree with you on the NBA- you can get there from anywhere. The pros will see you.

Nobody wants that. However, there is reality and we will have to deal with it. Taking an egalitarian view of NIL will get keep you at or near the bottom.
We will see. He’s not the only one who’s said that. Tony Bennett is on board with it. Teams like Creighton have a certain amount the whole team gets. He’s not alone in that viewpoint. I highly doubt if Battle continues to blow up and gets offered 50k in an NIL deal that Ben would say no. He’s more not into getting into bidding wars. There are a lot of talented players that don’t want/need to be bought or go to the highest bidder.

Top Bottom