Shooter: Gophers football targets Petersen (1), Harbaugh (2), Patterson (3)

All these names floating around have at the very least, elevated expectations and added pressure to Maturi's selection. Methinks Trestman is no longer being considered, notice we haven't heard many names of hot coordinators either, so A)So far, it's going to be someone we've actually heard of, B)It's someone with HC experience.
So far so good, fine with me to raise expectations, now don't settle on a crap choice or there will be hell to pay.

I hope you're right. Particularly about Trestman. That may have just been a leak to keep some idiot booster(s) happy. I think Maturi's actually kept a good lid on this. Most of the rumors are either reporters spitballing, or possibly the agents of guys we've contacted leaking stuff to negotiate a better contract.

It is encouraging that the U is raising expectations. Provided they deliver. I agree with you that coordinators need not apply. The trick is to get enough irons in the fire that we land one of our top candidates. And contrary to the "we shoulda kept Brewster thread, the fact that we're laying all this groundwork now gives us a big leg up on the competition. We can be interviewing (and offering) a new coach while other schools are still doing the vetting thang. Those schools most likely include

Colorado - their coach is a dead man walking
michigan - dickrod is a tOSU beatdown away from getting fired
nd - doubtful, but how many more brainfarts are their alumni going to put up with. And the fatal accident gives them an excuse (not to mention cause) to fire Kelly.

Look at the last time those latter two schools replaced a coach (well, for nd look multiple times). It usually turns into a circus on the media side combined with a monkeypooh fight on the AD's side. You think we have PitA boosters who have to be mollified. Those schools take it up several levels. Ideally we have a new coach in hand before those debacles get rolling.

Why is the comparison so funny?

In my opinion the comparsion is bunk (or funny) because Petersen coaches football and Monson Basketball. But if you want to compare Apples to Oranges, Petersen has a sustained record of success. He is now 56-4 through 4 1/2 seasons. 93% winning percentage and has been to two BCS bowls in 4 years at a school in a non-AQ conference.

Dan Monson had 2 years of HC experience at Gonzaga. He was 52-17 in those two years (75%). That is impressive, but only had 1 year where the team was in the NCAA tournament.

IMO Petersen has a longer and better track record of success against better competition than Monson ever had.

I heard pretty much the same thing - but the big names are not responding so far. They are definitely going after top people.

Top Bottom