Shooter: Gophers football targets Petersen (1), Harbaugh (2), Patterson (3)

F*ck the little birdie

Sid thinks Peterson and Patterson are the same person.

F*ck the little birdie

Totally agree KoolAid. All that little birdies do is eat the food I put out, and then repay their thanks to me by pooping all over my lawn furniture and picnic table.

A little birdie says my top targets are Isla Fisher (1), Elin Nordegren (2) (just for the impossibility factor), and Katy Perry (3). Two can play this game.

I have no interest in Peterson. We already tried Dan Monson on that front. I don't want to be quirky Boise State. I'd much rather be wheeling and dealing Texas Tech.

I love how he starts a "little birdie" rumor in his column, and then it gets passed around from column to column around the nation like the telephone game.

I have no interest in Peterson. We already tried Dan Monson on that front. I don't want to be quirky Boise State. I'd much rather be wheeling and dealing Texas Tech.

How can you possibly compare Chris Petersen's (it is spelled with an "e" people!) sustained run of success to Dan Monson? Seriously?

Also, what the heck to you mean when you say "quirky Boise State?" Sure, they used a few trick plays against Oklahoma in 2007, but have you actually watched them play a game this year? They lineup and cram it down people's throats. Then they spread it out and toss it around the yard. Their defensive line goes out and whips people.

Stewart Mandel on cnnsi.com pointed out today that Virginia Tech is averaging 5.3 yards per carry this year. Boise held them to 2.9. Is that quirky?

For frick's sake. We're coachless in the middle of a season. We can try play footsie with whomever we want.

he knows less than we do. I thought he retired.

How can you possibly compare Chris Peteren's (it is spelled with an "e" people!) sustained run of success to Dan Monson? Seriously?

Also, what the heck to you mean when you say "quirky Boise State?" Sure, they used a few trick plays against Oklahoma in 2007, but have you actually watched them play a game this year? They lineup and cram it down people's throats. Then they spread it out and toss it around the yard. Their defensive line goes out and whips people.

Stewart Mandel on cnnsi.com pointed out today that Virginia Tech is averaging 5.3 yards per carry this year. Boise held them to 2.9. Is that quirky?

I don't know if I neccesarily agree with him, but I think he meant it by comparing Gonzaga with Boise St. They are both mid major schools who dominate their mid major conference and are sort of the poster boys for anti-major conference dominance. They also both seem to be succesful regardless of who the coach is and their coaches don't seem to have a ton of success when they leave.

I think he meant the situation at Boise St. is kind of a quirky job rather than their style of play (similar to Gonzaga in basketball).

Another thought:

If these candidates are truly "out of our league" as so many like to suggest, why wouldn't we just run-up the price tag on them. If they are hell-bent on going to a school perceived to have more prestige than Minnesota, we can at least make sure to poison the market with debilitating salary expectations for elite HCs.

Giving a "little birdie" as your source certainly lends an air of journalistic integrity to the story. Then, CFN refers to this report as a "leak." High marks all around. The silly season of everyone making up stories to get attention has begun.

If anything, Monson should be compared to Hawkins.

Another thought:

If these candidates are truly "out of our league" as so many like to suggest, why wouldn't we just run-up the price tag on them. If they are hell-bent on going to a school perceived to have more prestige than Minnesota, we can at least make sure to poison the market with debilitating salary expectations for elite HCs.

The problem with this is that by continuing to fuel the escalating salaries, you ultimately end up establishing a new market price for the non-elite coaches as well. Then you are left with a situation down the line where you are stretching the U's budget to pay top dollar for a average coach. The University does not want to get into a fiscal battle at this time, it is not a battle they can win.

The amazing part is years down the road people will link back to these articles as proof that we talked to xyz candidate.

The problem with this is that by continuing to fuel the escalating salaries, you ultimately end up establishing a new market price for the non-elite coaches as well. Then you are left with a situation down the line where you are stretching the U's budget to pay top dollar for a average coach. The University does not want to get into a fiscal battle at this time, it is not a battle they can win.

The price is going up either way, if the U doesn't do someone else will. They are already in the fiscal battle regardless of if they want to be in it or not. If they dont' want to be in it they will just keep taking shots with Tim Brewster type candidates.

The price is going up either way, if the U doesn't do someone else will. They are already in the fiscal battle regardless of if they want to be in it or not. If they dont' want to be in it they will just keep taking shots with Tim Brewster type candidates.

It likely will go up either way but the U doesn't have to contribute to it. And before you say anything, I am not telling the U to be cheap. I want them to be responsible and pay a fair market value for a coach based on his abilities, not some artificially inflated value. I do not want the U paying 2 plus million per year for a Coach Brewster type candidate. If the U did take this bidding up strategy, please explain how it would benefit the U? It isn't as if they are going to bankrupt these other athletic departments. However the U's bluff might be called by a legitimate coaching candidate who finds out and says you offered Coach A this much, well I am just as good or better so you are going to have to match or beat that offer to get me, when the U cannot and never could afford that price tag to begin with. I see several potential scenarios where this bidding up strategy could harm the University and none where it could help them.

All these names floating around have at the very least, elevated expectations and added pressure to Maturi's selection. Methinks Trestman is no longer being considered, notice we haven't heard many names of hot coordinators either, so A)So far, it's going to be someone we've actually heard of, B)It's someone with HC experience.
So far so good, fine with me to raise expectations, now don't settle on a crap choice or there will be hell to pay.

Screw all the outside haters that think this is a joke of a job and that we will have to settle. Who will be laughing if we strike it it rich again...(Tubby Smith) We might not be good right now, but that should be appealing to most candidates. Hell win 3 games next year and your on the right track. Great school-check Great facilities-check, great conference-check, great opportunity-check. Money to spend-Check.

We can get a big fish people. Keep your sights set high! BELIEVE!

DO NOT SETTLE JOEL

You don't want to be Boise State? Comparing Dan Monson and Peterson? Now that's funny.

Top Bottom