Shooter: Gopher players no longer can wear hats and use head phones in training facil

No one will know if you have a collared shirt on as the players will have sweatshirts, jackets and coats on all the time. Ask Tracy how cold those Minnesota winters are.

OK, anecdote time... I was part of a work out group, and at first for a long time, earphones were not available to us. Then they were, and the difference was so palpable that we all agreed not to wear them during our session. With headphones we were each in our zone and don't get me wrong got a good work out in, but the camaraderie was somewhat lost. But I do hope they pipe music in to the work out room at least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if Pandora has a Elite channel?

The collared shirts, first few rows implementation is actually really cool. It reflects well on the players in the program.

However, the no hats/earbuds type of thing sounds like wayyy too much micromanaging to me. Also, having earbuds in and getting a good workout playlist going makes any lift x100 better. I really hate the no music approach. Also, no hats?? What have hats ever done to anyone to impair their workout? Not really seeing the logic here.

The collared shirts, first few rows implementation is actually really cool. It reflects well on the players in the program.

However, the no hats/earbuds type of thing sounds like wayyy too much micromanaging to me. Also, having earbuds in and getting a good workout playlist going makes any lift x100 better. I really hate the no music approach. Also, no hats?? What have hats ever done to anyone to impair their workout? Not really seeing the logic here.

I don't think PJ gives a crap if you do or don't. This is the way he operates. I happen to like some discipline injected into this program. The sexual assault case showed how poorly Claeys controlled his team. The shirt thing is awesome. Just ask the Cooper high players who have a dress code that helps build their self esteem. You just feel better when you dress well. Maybe it's time the backward baseball cap dies out. Never could see the logic in having the brim, which was designed to keep the sun out of baseball player's eyes, turned backwards like a catcher.

Pretty sure it's not just about player workouts, but for the entire facility. Weight room, training room, the players' lounge, etc. And who said there would be no music in the weight room? Earbuds aren't the only way to listen to music, last I checked.

My two cents:

Every coach has his way if doing things.
Culture change is today's buzz word.
How do they afford shirts with collars? Sell the $300 Beats by Dr. Dre.
No hats in building? I couldn't care but it is pretty corny.
Enough already.....just win.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Because you look stupid? That might be it.

Kill/Claeys had "no hats, no phones is classrooms" rule and no one spent 7 pages of threads. In fact, if a player was caught with his phone "open" in class (by spot check), he was suspended for a day. Might be why our grades are as good as they are. You can't communicate with other people if you are consistently in your own world. There's plenty of time for that when you are alone.

It's about respect, class, and being a grown-up.

Guess what? Constantly using headphones everywhere and wearing hats indoors is...you guessed it...stupid. Stupid is as stupid does.

Pretty sure it's not just about player workouts, but for the entire facility. Weight room, training room, the players' lounge, etc. And who said there would be no music in the weight room? Earbuds aren't the only way to listen to music, last I checked.

I think some are confusing their own personal workout in the gym with a team workout complete with strength coaches and everything else. I have been present at team workouts, I can assure everyone that there is plenty of music being blasted into the weight room. I am 99.99% sure they were not wearing ear buds while working out already and as you said this isn't about workouts it is about the rest of the time they are in the facility. The other thing is that although they are using the term ear buds, most of these guys use those massive noise cancelling headphones that cover the entire ear and really do cut you off from the rest of the world.

Fleck wants them present in the facility, that isn't unreasonable and I would be shocked if many of the players have major issues with it.

Top Bottom