Shooter: Gopher players no longer can wear hats and use head phones in training facil

I'm wearing headphones right ... now.

Great. Now imagine a packed, loud gym with 100 others working out and you're trying to get someones attention. I'd rather be able to yell over to you to get you attention than walk across half the gym or send an assistant to get you a message.

Not saying that's the only reason, but it could be one of the reasons.

I can probably count with my fingers the number of times I wore a collared shirt to class in undergrad. Hell, it might not even fill up one hand. That would completely suck.

I see a business opportunity here.... clip on collars. .... anybody want in on this?

I can probably count with my fingers the number of times I wore a collared shirt to class in undergrad. Hell, it might not even fill up one hand. That would completely suck.

You were not ELITE while an Undergrad.

You were not ELITE while an Undergrad.

Agreed, my only goal with school stuff was to get into grad school which I accomplished. So I may not have been Elite, but I was good enough and that is good enough for the girls I go with (mainly my wife...).

paisley-disco-shirt.jpg
Fleck could revive the disco era with the collared shirts rule!!

I think some people don't get what a collared shirt is. He isn't talking about a dress shirt, it can be a comfortable polo shirt made out of the same material as a t-shirt. He also isn't saying the collar has be be buttoned tight to the neck, didn't see anything about needing to wear a tie....seriously this is not a big deal.

When I was at the U I don't think I ever saw a football player walking around campus without Gopher Football t-shirts/sweatshirts and sweatpants that they were given for being on the team. Exchange out a couple of those t-shirts for team-issued collared polos and the whole "poor college kids shouldn't have to buy clothes" argument goes away pretty quickly.

This is so close to the threads written on the WMU board 4 years ago!
No one understands the culture he is developing. In time you will but he is very unconventional and demanding of everyone involved in the program.
It's all about everyone working together towards a common goal(s).
Be the best, do your best in everything you are involved.
You will hear Elite instead of great or good, "the ball is the program", etc.
It's a mindset. It's unbelievable once it develops!
The players will learn how to be respectful, appreciative and proud of what they have.
It's all about the positive culture.
As far as the players buying clothing, it wasn't an issue at WMU so I can't believe it will be at UM.
They will be proud to wear the "RTB" clothing as will you.
Have fun, it's the beginning of quite a ride.

This is so close to the threads written on the WMU board 4 years ago!
No one understands the culture he is developing. In time you will but he is very unconventional and demanding of everyone involved in the program.
It's all about everyone working together towards a common goal(s).
Be the best, do your best in everything you are involved.
You will hear Elite instead of great or good, "the ball is the program", etc.
It's a mindset. It's unbelievable once it develops!
The players will learn how to be respectful, appreciative and proud of what they have.
It's all about the positive culture.
As far as the players buying clothing, it wasn't an issue at WMU so I can't believe it will be at UM.
They will be proud to wear the "RTB" clothing as will you.
Have fun, it's the beginning of quite a ride.

Love this. Let's do this!!

Go Gophers!!

Great. Now imagine a packed, loud gym with 100 others working out and you're trying to get someones attention. I'd rather be able to yell over to you to get you attention than walk across half the gym or send an assistant to get you a message.

WAT?

I CAN'T HEAR YOU!

HEADPHONES!

I think some people don't get what a collared shirt is. He isn't talking about a dress shirt, it can be a comfortable polo shirt made out of the same material as a t-shirt. He also isn't saying the collar has be be buttoned tight to the neck, didn't see anything about needing to wear a tie....seriously this is not a big deal.

A collared shirt is a shirt with a collar. I think everybody gets that....

Two weeks ago I was in my local Urbandale Goodwill looking for a cheap piece of art to give as a white elephant gift. On my way out, I passed the shirt rack and spotted a beautiful polo shirt with the tag still on. I bought it for $2. You know what else I saw? Lots of other polo shirts for $2.

Arguing that these players are being unfairly put upon is ridiculous.

There is now a Goodwill store just off campus down the street from Al's, it's called Gina & Will, a better ring to it than Goodwill. I'm sure there are Polo's there for $2 or $3.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And I walked to school in the snow uphill...both ways! So what? I thought the draw was that Fleck was coach cool with a DJ at practice and wore a microphone. So no ear buds...not sure I understand what that is trying to accomplish.

With no hat or gloves, and the wind in my face...both ways. :)

They all seem to have their mopeds, which definitely cost at least $100 so maybe forgo that purchase and get the shirts instead? Not that hard to walk, bike, or use transit on this campus to get around quickly.

Tru Dat. Plus most live right across the street from the Athlete's village, so the only real walking they do is to and from classes. Maybe the linemen can still have the mopeds...help to keep all that added weight on them...:p

I see a business opportunity here.... clip on collars. .... anybody want in on this?

What about those tux t-shirts that have printed collars? Gotta think some player will try it for a laugh...and then have to run killers.

I'll have my phone to play the music through my headphones...so just text me. :p

What about those tux t-shirts that have printed collars? Gotta think some player will try it for a laugh...and then have to run killers.

Awesome! I was thinking too of a priest style collar with skull and crossbones, chains, Goldy, or other creative drawings silk screened right on....

When I was at the U I don't think I ever saw a football player walking around campus without Gopher Football t-shirts/sweatshirts and sweatpants that they were given for being on the team. Exchange out a couple of those t-shirts for team-issued collared polos and the whole "poor college kids shouldn't have to buy clothes" argument goes away pretty quickly.

Yeah, I don't understand the argument that it would be difficult to follow this rule. They could easily have a gold and maroon issued team polo. I don't really think it accomplishes anything. I never thought the athletes wearing the athletic gear looked any less professional than a polo shirt. But whatever.

This paragraph isn't meant specifically for you, as far as needing to have earbuds out in order to concentrate on working out, that sounds like something someone would say who never works out. I've worked out 4-5 days of week since I was 13. I much prefer to have earbuds in. If you go to the gym, this is a pretty common theme. I also think that I get more done. I don't chit chat or make small talk.

It's not a big deal, but that rule doesn't make any sense to me. I also think anyone arguing that it is a good idea probably doesn't work out a ton. It seems like a rule for the sake of a rule.

I like collared shirts way better than collard greens

You aren't cooking them right! Get some smoked ham hocks....you'll be hooked.

Slow day on Gopherhole when we are talking about collared shirts, ear buds, bafoons and ham hocks.

Awful? The youth of today are spoiled. When we were that age, the only thing we heard was our coaches in our ear. Then later that night listening to our cute little GF's saying sweet nothings! Somehow we all managed. :>0

Bet your lawn is kid free...

If you don't see what no earbuds does then you just don't get it. BTW - I also don't get it.

OK, anecdote time... I was part of a work out group, and at first for a long time, earphones were not available to us. Then they were, and the difference was so palpable that we all agreed not to wear them during our session. With headphones we were each in our zone and don't get me wrong got a good work out in, but the camaraderie was somewhat lost. But I do hope they pipe music in to the work out room at least.

Top Bottom