Share your thoughts on the Iowa game

I bet we come out passing.
I just hope it’s to the right team!

I think a close defensive struggle. Gophs 20 Iowa 16.

My question - how many interceptions to the “all world” secondary before PJ pulls TM? My guess would be 4. After 4, PJ will put ZA or Kramer in.

Iowa will have 5 and 6 man fronts to take away our running game just like Illinois did. They will force Tanner to beat them. I am not sure he can the way he is playing right now.

He needs to be on early and get some confidence. Also, the RPO is not the only pass he can throw. Most defenses now squat on that slant and make it tough on him. Call some plays with quick throws outside, swing to backs, etc. Get him in a rythmn.

Run the ball anytime you are looking at even fronts.

I’ll be the pessimist. We’ll lose this one too. Sorry folks. We’re just not there this year! How do you lose to BG and Illinois? We don’t deserve the West.

PJ emphasized back in 2019 season over and over on how our fan “culture” should change being always so pessimistic and stop thinking we suck. How PJ?! You fucking lose to BG and Illinois!? It seems like every time we have national recognition, we flop the next game!

It’s almost like we should NEVER be ranked and NEVER have College Game Day come to Minneapolis, then we can just win under the radar.

This team gets our excitement and hope up slowly, then tear us down fast!

Can’t wait til Tanner Morgan moves on and Sanford gets fired or hired by another school. Both just looks soft to me. Tired of them both.

Loved Cupito, loved Leidner, and absolutely loved Weber! Tired of Morgan. He needs to done. We’ve got some QB studs coming in.
The gophers record when ranked under PJ fleck is
2021: 0-1
2020: 0-1
2019: 5-2

overall when ranked 5-4 (.567)

we win more often than we lose when ranked. Just saying.
When not ranked PJ fleck is 27-18 (.600)

there are arguments that fleck is disappointing to be made. A horrible winning percentage once he gets ranked ain’t it

Iowa will have 5 and 6 man fronts to take away our running game just like Illinois did. They will force Tanner to beat them. I am not sure he can the way he is playing right now.

He needs to be on early and get some confidence. Also, the RPO is not the only pass he can throw. Most defenses now squat on that slant and make it tough on him. Call some plays with quick throws outside, swing to backs, etc. Get him in a rythmn.

Run the ball anytime you are looking at even fronts.
Going to go ahead and disagree and say Iowa plays the same 4 man front with zone behind it they’ve played since ferentz arrived

Going to go ahead and disagree and say Iowa plays the same 4 man front with zone behind it they’ve played since ferentz arrived
Agree. You won't see many gimmicks with Iowa.

Just an occasional linebacker blitz, I imagine.

It seems as if the most optimistic fans are presenting this argument:

"We played lousy last week, but we'll play good this week."

And I say, based on what?

Question - putting regional dislike aside - who do you think is a better coach - Bielema or Ferentz - especially IA's defensive staff.

Fleck & company got out-coached by Bielema. Can they out-coach Ferentz?

My gut tells me IA gets up by 10-14 points and just sits on the ball, while forcing the Gophers to throw the ball 30+ times. that is not a recipe for success.

Hey, maybe I'm dead wrong. Maybe the Gophers come out and play their best game of the year. I just don't think this team (and coaching staff) is capable of pulling off that kind of a turn-around without making significant schematic and personnel changes.

It'll be tough to run. We might have to pass. If we have to pass, chances are we throw an interception or two...or three. If we throw an interception or two, they might be returned for a touchdown.
The way last week's game went, this is what I am dreading.

It seems as if the most optimistic fans are presenting this argument:

"We played lousy last week, but we'll play good this week."

And I say, based on what?

Question - putting regional dislike aside - who do you think is a better coach - Bielema or Ferentz - especially IA's defensive staff.

Fleck & company got out-coached by Bielema. Can they out-coach Ferentz?

My gut tells me IA gets up by 10-14 points and just sits on the ball, while forcing the Gophers to throw the ball 30+ times. that is not a recipe for success.

Hey, maybe I'm dead wrong. Maybe the Gophers come out and play their best game of the year. I just don't think this team (and coaching staff) is capable of pulling off that kind of a turn-around without making significant schematic and personnel changes.
Team played like crap against Bowling Green and responded the following week by going on the road and beating what is turning out to be a pretty damn solid Purdue team. They did that without significant personnel or schematic changes. They then reeled off 3 additional Big Ten wins running the same offense.

Iowa is not an explosive team. Their offense is bad and if you don't help them out with turnovers they struggle to move the ball and put up points. Going to be a battle but the doom and gloom crowd needs to take a step back and realize that anything can happen on any given Saturday, and this is not a dominant Iowa team by any stretch of the imagination at this point.

Losing sucks, nobody likes it....but holy crap some people go off the deep end after every loss and act like we will be lucky to ever win a game again. (not directed at you specifically, more the general tone of the board after a loss).

My question - how many interceptions to the “all world” secondary before PJ pulls TM? My guess would be 4. After 4, PJ will put ZA or Kramer in.
Let's hope we don't find out. Let us hope it does not happen.

My steam for this team has tailed off after the Illinois loss.
I'm hopeful, but also knows how tough Iowa is for us, and with our offense looking more ordinary than I had expected, it's hard to be overly optimistic.

I'm "wait and see" mode right now. I don't think suddenly our OC and our starting QB are capable of lighting up the Iowa defense.

I'm hopeful, but also knows how tough Iowa is for us, and with our offense looking more ordinary than I had expected, it's hard to be overly optimistic.

I'm "wait and see" mode right now. I don't think suddenly our OC and our starting QB are capable of lighting up the Iowa defense.
Don't have to light them up.....just have to be efficient and score some points which is something we have been very good at in 7 of our 9 games this season.

Everyone wants to dwell on the bad ones, I get it, they were really disappointing. But we absolutely can win this game on Saturday if we play well and protect the football.

feels like some karma or clairvoyance but you've just offered a good summary of what I've been thinking about the gophers. I would just add that I think Minnesota has to score 27 to win, and I don't know if the gophers can. I'm hopeful but not optimistic mainly because Illinois exposed something about this team.

feels like some karma or clairvoyance but you've just offered a good summary of what I've been thinking about the gophers. I would just add that I think Minnesota has to score 27 to win, and I don't know if the gophers can. I'm hopeful but not optimistic mainly because Illinois exposed something about this team.
Why 27? If we protect the ball we shouldn't need that many points to win. They just managed 7 against Purdue, 7 against Wisconsin and a whopping 17 against Northwestern (and that one came with 3 turnovers by the Wildcats). If we get to 20 I like our chances to win this one.

Why 27? If we protect the ball we shouldn't need that many points to win. They just managed 7 against Purdue, 7 against Wisconsin and a whopping 17 against Northwestern (and that one came with 3 turnovers by the Wildcats). If we get to 20 I like our chances to win this one.
The fact that the Iowa offense has struggled all season means it's likely low scoring and that should help u.

And as always seems to be the case, there will be some special teams play that ultimately determines the victor.

the minn rb's albeit down the depth chart are still good . they run hard and with tm and his rpo ,gophers get 3 - 4 scores . Iowa in the 2-3 range

We will see the Gophers are going to win end that rotten streak, and bring back Floyd. The time has come.

All the talk & I haven't seen much about Lois Feldman.

No Lois....no Vodka Sam...have we officially reached the point where it's no long part of the rivalry?

If we hit Badger week & there's no mention of ChinaGopher & a chair leg to the eye socket, I may be officially done with Gopher football.......

All the talk & I haven't seen much about Lois Feldman.

No Lois....no Vodka Sam...have we officially reached the point where it's no long part of the rivalry?

If we hit Badger week & there's no mention of ChinaGopher & a chair leg to the eye socket, I may be officially done with Gopher football.......
Feldman was a home game. I expect her name resurfaces next year.

Top Bottom