Share your thoughts on the Iowa game

Odds are some day Fleck beats Iowa.

Why not this year?

Everything you say is true -- but there is a reason why Iowa is favored by 7 points and not the Gophers......
3 for being home, 2 for last weeks performance and young RB's, 2 for history. It should be 7 plus Vegas looks for gamblers.

i think the more veteran team wins . Not sure home field means much in this one
Iowa has no offense . they feel good about different qb but hey, they scored 17 against NW , we're talking NW. and they feel good about it .
minnesota 23
iowa 16

i think minn getting points is totally free money

Last edited:

I think the Gophers have a big advantage on the LOS regardless of how has the ball. If they lose this game it will be because they're not very good to begin with.

I believe Minnesota will eventually wear down Iowa's DL and pull away late.

A win at Iowa changes the narrative again for the Gophers and importantly gets a critically important Iowa win for Fleck. Injuries, drama, inconsistency, etc., none of that matters. We need to beat Iowa. Fleck needs to beat Ferentz.

It's time.

Go Gophers!!
interesting fact - a PJ Gopher team has never been ahead of a Ferentz lead Iowa team at any time. Hopefully this changes this week.

Well hopefully you have your fingers crossed for us......always helps when true fans like you are on our side pulling hard for a victory.
Does "true fan" = "objective fan" to you?

There are questions and injuries for both teams. I think it will be a battle of wills.

When the clock hits zero, Iowa fans will be dancing to the Hawkeye Victory Polka and the pig will be carried around Kinnick to the delight of the thousands of Hawkeyes in attendance. Sad but true.

I’ll be the pessimist. We’ll lose this one too. Sorry folks. We’re just not there this year! How do you lose to BG and Illinois? We don’t deserve the West.

PJ emphasized back in 2019 season over and over on how our fan “culture” should change being always so pessimistic and stop thinking we suck. How PJ?! You fucking lose to BG and Illinois!? It seems like every time we have national recognition, we flop the next game!

It’s almost like we should NEVER be ranked and NEVER have College Game Day come to Minneapolis, then we can just win under the radar.

This team gets our excitement and hope up slowly, then tear us down fast!

Can’t wait til Tanner Morgan moves on and Sanford gets fired or hired by another school. Both just looks soft to me. Tired of them both.

Loved Cupito, loved Leidner, and absolutely loved Weber! Tired of Morgan. He needs to done. We’ve got some QB studs coming in.

I’ll be the pessimist. We’ll lose this one too. Sorry folks. We’re just not there this year! How do you lose to BG and Illinois? We don’t deserve the West.

PJ emphasized back in 2019 season over and over on how our fan “culture” should change being always so pessimistic and stop thinking we suck. How PJ?! You fucking lose to BG and Illinois!? It seems like every time we have national recognition, we flop the next game!

It’s almost like we should NEVER be ranked and NEVER have College Game Day come to Minneapolis, then we can just win under the radar.

Can’t wait til Tanner Morgan moves on and Sanford gets fired or hired by another school. Both just looks soft to me. Tired of them both.

Loved Cupito, loved Leidner, and absolutely loved Weber! Tired of Morgan. He needs to done. We’ve got some QB studs coming in.
I think Gopher fans have every right to be upset over the Bowling Green and Illinois losses but if you are the team, you have got to let it go and get ready for what will be a very tough Iowa game. We do have a very good chance to knock them off, but it will only be if the team and coaches perform at a much higher level than they did last week. I think regardless of how these last few games go fans will be very disappointed with how this season has gone. Even if this team wins the last 3 games and finishes at 9-3, wins the West and goes on to play in the Big Ten championship game fans will still be saying, "If only we would have beaten BG and Illinois we would be 11-1, ranked about #5 and possibly playing on New Year's Day somewhere. It would have been a REALLY good season.

Now the chance for an epic season is gone - and it is gone not because we did not have as much talent as Bowling Green and Illinois, but because we were too stupid to take them seriously before the game, too stupid to come up with a solid gameplan,, and too stupid to make necessary changes to the stupid gameplan to give your team a chance to win.

We really blew a golden opportunity for a very good season just by not being a very smart team.

A week ago I felt really good about this game and was thinking of attending. Expectations obviously way, WAY down after Illinois, but I still think MN can win.

That pretty much perfectly summarizes how I'm feeling.

If they had beaten Illinois like they'd beaten Maryland, our group probably would've thought much harder about going down.

Sure, they have a chance. There's always a chance in a rivalry.

Fleck is 0-4, and Gophs haven't won there since 1999.

I mean, he was 0-17 when trailing at halftime, too. Eventually ... one day ... it has to end. Can't go on forever.
Go talk to the twins about those kind of streaks. Not all streaks have to end.

2019 - by 4 to Iowa - Dropped pass late that may have led to go ahead score

As I recall, our kicker in that game also failed to get us 4 points: missed field goal and extra point. There's the margin of victory.

we have too much talent that is being used the wrong way on offense for us to not have beaten IL and BG

Yes, we laid two real clunkers. Apparently our floor is pretty low. However, we have 6 wins against 3 losses and one of those losses was to a more-likely-than-not CFP team. In those six wins, we scored 30 or more 5 times and we also scored over 30 in the loss to OSU. Only the Gophers and Oregon (another possible CFP team) have managed to score 30 or more on OSU this year.

I feel it's wrong to judge a team by its best performances but it's equally wrong to judge a team by its worst.

absolutely loved Weber! Tired of Morgan. He needs to done. We’ve got some QB studs coming in.

That's insane. Weber may have had better style points but he was 17-33 as a starter and that was in the era of 4 nonconference games. Morgan is 24-11 as a starter. On the whole, I liked Leidner and he had a pretty solid record as a starter but his bad games were both more numerous and more awful than Morgan's.

As far as whether or not we have QB studs coming in, that remains to be seen.

Now the chance for an epic season is gone - and it is gone not because we did not have as much talent as Bowling Green and Illinois, but because we were too stupid to take them seriously before the game, too stupid to come up with a solid gameplan,, and too stupid to make necessary changes to the stupid gameplan to give your team a chance to win.

Amen! Bowling Green was astonishing and Illinois was pretty inexcusable given that they demonstrated previously that they could rise to the occasion on the road against a very good team.

Yes, we laid two real clunkers. Apparently our floor is pretty low. However, we have 6 wins against 3 losses and one of those losses was to a more-likely-than-not CFP team. In those six wins, we scored 30 or more 5 times and we also scored over 30 in the loss to OSU. Only the Gophers and Oregon (another possible CFP team) have managed to score 30 or more on OSU this year.

I feel it's wrong to judge a team by its best performances but it's equally wrong to judge a team by its worst.
If I follow the logic on the board after a loss, if we lose to a team we were supposed to beat then the coaches are idiots and it is all because the gameplan sucked and they didn't call the right plays.

But if we beat a team we were supposed to lose to.....I guess that means those idiot coaches somehow got lucky....or maybe the players overcame their stupidity....or the other teams coaches are just dumber.....I don't know.....I just know that if we had called better plays against BG and Illinois we would have won regardless of how the players performed on the field.....

There seems to be this desire here to pin the BG and Illinois losses entirely on the offensive coaches and the gameplan they drew up. And while that is certainly a factor, in the end it still comes down to the players and their execution on the field.

To me the reality is far simpler. We have a good team but there is not a ton of margin for error. When we make a bunch of mistakes (turnovers, penalties, missed kicks, fall behind early) we are going to struggle against most teams. When we play clean, we can compete with and beat almost anyone. I think there are a number of teams in the Big Ten and especially the West that are like that this year. Our next opponent Iowa is a prime example of it.

To me the reality is far simpler. We have a good team but there is not a ton of margin for error. When we make a bunch of mistakes (turnovers, penalties, missed kicks, fall behind early) we are going to struggle against most teams. When we play clean, we can compete with and beat almost anyone. I think there are a number of teams in the Big Ten and especially the West that are like that this year. Our next opponent Iowa is a prime example of it.

Brilliantly stated! Every word.

A loss is a loss regardless of the opponent. Any team is capable of being upset.

Sure, we get frustrated as fans, and say stuff that doesn't take the whole body of work that the Gophers have done.

We get over it and move on. Next focus: IOWA!

I give Morgan a big pass because of what he's gone through in the last two years off the field.

Floor: lose 31-12 kicker misses both EPs. 3 interceptions and multiple fumbles ruin a decent offensive effort. Or do nothing offensively due to RUTM, and lose 12-0 as our kicker goes 0-5 on field goals.
Ceiling: Win 42-14 Gophers stymie the Iowa offense and Simon calls plays to mix up the offense and keep their defense off-balance. 2 turnovers from their QBs.
Floor % 20%
Ceilin 5%
Somewhere in between 75%
chances Gophers lose 75%

Sanford knows he’s on the hot seat.

You are either going to see a brilliant game plan or complete and utter nonsense that will have you once again scratching your head and wondering why this clown has a job.

I think we will know which path it will be early. If it’s RUTM, RUTM, failed pass attempt on 3rd down early I think we will be in for a long, long day.

Top Bottom