Share your favorite Flip Saunders stories

Thanks for sharing that, 19.
Great article. I remember watching Flip's Golden Valley teams a couple times. Remember he had a player named Hurdis Burns a big scorer whose brother was a Gopher football player. Later he had a 6-8 player named Nelson Johnson who went to Drake. Then watched his La Crosse teams in the CBA win a title or two . I believe David Rivers was the point for one of those teams. Seemed like I have been watching Flip play or coach my whole life as a basketball fan.

Saw a recounting of a Mychal Thompson story on Canis Hoopus. Mychal and Flip were driving around town in an old beater when they playing for the U. All of a sudden, a car pulls alongside and is honking and people are waving their arms. Mychal and Flip get all excited and pleased because they're being recognized for being famous basketball players. They've arrived! A great moment! Then they notice that there's quite a bit of smoke coming out from under the hood. They pull over and now flames are seen. People weren't trying to get their attention because they're famous basketball players; they were trying to let them know their car was on fire. You sense Flip never forgot he came from that background.

Saw a recounting of a Mychal Thompson story on Canis Hoopus. Mychal and Flip were driving around town in an old beater when they playing for the U. All of a sudden, a car pulls alongside and is honking and people are waving their arms. Mychal and Flip get all excited and pleased because they're being recognized for being famous basketball players. They've arrived! A great moment! Then they notice that there's quite a bit of smoke coming out from under the hood. They pull over and now flames are seen. People weren't trying to get their attention because they're famous basketball players; they were trying to let them know their car was on fire. You sense Flip never forgot he came from that background.

Haha! That's great!!! Thanks for sharing. That's a story that I bet Flip and Mychal shared together through the years, and the laughter probably got louder and louder every time they told it.

Go Gophers!!

That sounds like it's from out of a movie. Thanks for sharing

Top Bottom