Shame on KFAN for blowing something completely out of proportion.....

Reaction score
Some of you KFAN jock-sniffers want to talk about whiners and like to claim that Coach Brewster/The Gophers football program has thin skin. Well, AD Joel Maturi's email to Doogie Wolfson explaining what really went down makes KFAN, Paul Allen, Dan Cole & Dan Barrerio look like petulant (that means bratty for you KFAN rubes) little children who are crying to their mommy because they didn't get their way in slotting a Gophers football show exactly when they wanted to during the week as opposed to when the Gophers football players and Coach Brewster's staff is actually available to do such a show. Apparently the fact that most of the Gophers football team has class on Wednesday doesn't matter to the blow-hards over at KFAN.

AD Joel Maturi's email to Doogie Wolfson:

"Doogie, just getting to emails – sorry. It is my understanding that Coach Brewster only said no to a Wednesday morning “show” with coaches or players. Wednesday morning is a very busy prep day and the kids are in class. He is willing to go on or have staff go on KFAN at an agreeable day/time. It is the “old” poor communication thing."

Joel Maturi

So to that I say.........SHAME ON KFAN for trying to spin this whole story and for burning bridges like they have with the U of M.

Agreed. I really wish we had other options in this town, but unfortunately KFAN pretty much has a monopoly on sports talk.

When I was listening to PA this AM i was scratching my head a bit because nobody really seemed to know what was going on and it all seemed a little strange. But KFAN really showed their true colors on this. Instead of waiting for clarification to get the official word and then reporting like an "objective" news source might, they took the opportunity to blast the U all day long.

They are so intent on tearing down the Gopher program any chance they can they ran as fast and as far as they could on the first sniff. Now who looks like the ass??

Agreed. I really wish we had other options in this town, but unfortunately KFAN pretty much has a monopoly on sports talk.

they have a monopoly, but i wouldn't say it is on "sports" talk..........more like talking about random crap (Barrerio, Dan Cole), interviewing vince flynn and getting their ego rubbed (Barrerio), or talking about their kid deuce for 3 hours (Dan Cole). yeah, wow.......what a great sports-talk station we have here in minneapolis.......:rolleyes:

When I was listening to PA this AM i was scratching my head a bit because nobody really seemed to know what was going on and it all seemed a little strange. But KFAN really showed their true colors on this. Instead of waiting for clarification to get the official word and then reporting like an "objective" news source might, they took the opportunity to blast the U all day long.

They are so intent on tearing down the Gopher program any chance they can they ran as fast and as far as they could on the first sniff. Now who looks like the ass??

well, as usual it would be: Paul Allen, Dan Cole, Dan Barrerio and his little cabana boy Justin Gaard.

absolutely crap, I think we found our pre-game chant at the next gopher football game and every football game after
KFAN SUCKS, KFAN SUCKS, KFAN SUCKS hopefully it will be loud enough to broadcast over WCCO

KFAN - lawyer talk radio

I listened to Barriero on the way home tonight to see if he would mention Brewster or the Gophers. All he covered was legal ease with some guy named Rosenbaum? Why does KFAN allow this crap on the radio, not to mention during traffic hour? :confused:

So Bronko, do you really believe that Brew's Twitter account was hacked into as well?

I listened to Barriero on the way home tonight to see if he would mention Brewster or the Gophers. All he covered was legal ease with some guy named Rosenbaum? Why does KFAN allow this crap on the radio, not to mention during traffic hour? :confused:

Wait... so in the same thread people are mad at Kfan for talking about it without knowing all of the facts and mad at KFAN for not talking about it and talking about something else instead.

Paul Allen, in my view, is a complete hack. Think of all the greats. Curt Gowdy, Jack Buck, Herb Carneal. This immature jock-sniffing juvenile is an embarrassment to the profession....Listen to his cheerleader broadcasts of professional football. I did once. I lasted about one quarter. He's the mouthpiece of the most dysfunctional franchise in all of sports.

most dysfunctional franchise

Paul Allen (is) the mouthpiece of the most dysfunctional franchise in all of sports.
Damn, is he doing T'wolves broadcasts too?!?

blowup.gif

Some of you KFAN jock-sniffers want to talk about whiners and like to claim that Coach Brewster/The Gophers football program has thin skin. Well, AD Joel Maturi's email to Doogie Wolfson explaining what really went down makes KFAN, Paul Allen, Dan Cole & Dan Barrerio look like petulant (that means bratty for you KFAN rubes) little children who are crying to their mommy because they didn't get their way in slotting a Gophers football show exactly when they wanted to during the week as opposed to when the Gophers football players and Coach Brewster's staff is actually available to do such a show. Apparently the fact that most of the Gophers football team has class on Wednesday doesn't matter to the blow-hards over at KFAN.

"Doogie, just getting to emails – sorry. It is my understanding that Coach Brewster only said no to a Wednesday morning “show” with coaches or players. Wednesday morning is a very busy prep day and the kids are in class. He is willing to go on or have staff go on KFAN at an agreeable day/time. It is the “old” poor communication thing."

Joel Maturi

So to that I say.........SHAME ON KFAN for trying to spin this whole story and for burning bridges like they have with the U of M.

Unless, of course, you know, Brewster is lying. Do you honestly think that's not a possibility here?

So Bronko, do you really believe that Brew's Twitter account was hacked into as well?

Sure it was and that is why Brewster filed a lawsuit. Oh wait, that was Tony Larussa whose twitter account was actually hacked into.

Unless, of course, you know, Brewster is lying. Do you honestly think that's not a possibility here?

All things are possible, but really?? The most logical explanation is just how it's unfolding. KFAN simply showed their true colors and jumped when they should have been professional and dug a little deeper, at the very least waiting to see what was going on before reacting. There's no excuse for their over reaction for a group of haters that like to play the 'objective' card to justify their constant negative spin on anything gopher football/Brewster.

Even, and it's a remote possibility, even if Brew did this and then back pedaled, any responsible journalistic outlet would have done a little more journalism work before broadcasting. They just plain suck and are so far from professionalism that if there was any question if they should be taken seriously it should now be removed. They are hacks, no other way to say it. Bad journalists. Bad Experts.

proves that it can and does happen

And if you are a coach that needs to put forth a positive image as Brewster does and it was getting national bad publicity then wouldn't he do the same thing and file a lawsuit if he had an actual case? He did not, likely because he knew where the tweet came from, himself. It is difficult to sue yourself.

And if you are a coach that needs to put forth a positive image as Brewster does and it was getting national bad publicity then wouldn't he do the same thing and file a lawsuit if he had an actual case? He did not, likely because he knew where the tweet came from, himself. It is difficult to sue yourself.

I think your stretching the use of words here chief, "hacking" has been thrown around to define the action of one of his minions getting creative with their tweeting freedoms. I don't think anyone was saying a computer geek actually "hacked" into his account. You keep on trying to find ways to spin things and get your anti-Brew views across.

He talked about it for 20 minutes or so before Ron was on. I heard him ripping the U so I just switched it over to KQ.

I think your stretching the use of words here chief, "hacking" has been thrown around to define the action of one of his minions getting creative with their tweeting freedoms. I don't think anyone was saying a computer geek actually "hacked" into his account. You keep on trying to find ways to spin things and get your anti-Brew views across.

In that case then I must have missed the press release from the athletic department saying what you propose and stating that the punishment for this minion was being dealt with from within the department or that this minion was fired. I am fairly sure that the athletic department would have much rather been able to publicly dump this on a behind the scenes minion if they could have rather than have the bad PR fall on their head coach and face of the program.

In that case then I must have missed the press release from the athletic department saying what you propose and stating that the punishment for this minion was being dealt with from within the department or that this minion was fired. I am fairly sure that the athletic department would have much rather been able to publicly dump this on a behind the scenes minion if they could have rather than have the bad PR fall on their head coach and face of the program.

Hey genius, do you think the U athletic department would like to keep some things in house? Thats usually the way classy organizations handle things. Personally I think Maturi is a pretty classy guy and would NEVER hang any subordinate out to dry like that. Of course if you like to sniff the jock of KFAN you probably think just like they do and would prefer to publicly berate someone for no reason at all and probably before all of the facts came in. While Brew may have made a mistake, KFAN showed their true colors today by jumping on this full force to draw some pub. Wow, it would be great if they could put the same level of effort into any positive discussions regarding Gopher Football but we know that will never happen until they win the Rose Bowl (and they would probably still bitch about something).

Joel Maturi

If you really believe it was just poor communication you are one gullible SOB

I really don't understand anyone here who takes KFAN's side on this thing. I mean, I assume you're a Gopher football fan and KFAN has been nothing but condescending towards the program. PA is clueless, Chad Abbot always has a snide comment....Common is Common (at least you know he's joking) and Barreiro simply HATES Brewster and anyone who wants to believe in the program. What I don't get about the station is that they don't seem to understand the best part about college sports. It's about the party and supporting the team no matter what...the U is a public university not a private enterprise like our professional franchises. I get being hyper-critical towards the pro teams, but the Gophers should get nothing but unconditional love. Now let's go out and beat the sh!t out of Cal and give the media no choice but to pay attention!!!
RAH!

Beat the ruesse out of Cal.

I agree with your entire post.

Until KFAN has the rights to broadcast Gopher games the Gophers will be treated as also-rans... KFAN promotes their clients period...If there is a huge demand to give a non client (Gophers football and basketball) some attention, then they will. KFAN has little choice to do this, because if they don't, they will continue to get blasted by the listeners and fans of Gopher sports. KFAN has no choice but to do this with the Twins as well...Oh and one more point -- PA is an excitable boy...his over the top display yesterday proves it, but hey, he's been acting like a little boy for years now.....Beat Cal.

If anyone reading these threads is sincerely interested in how this all went down, I highly recommend you listen to the first 10 minutes of the 3 PM hour on Barrerio today (available via podcast after the show ends). He just read the back and forth series of e-mails between someone at the U football program and the program manager at KFAN (Abbott). Unless Barrerio is completely making up what he just read on air, there is NO WAY any rational or sane person could absolve the football program of responsibility for what happened yesterday. I wish that I could post a transcript of the segment here but even if I did I'm sure that some of you will say it's all made up anyway.

This was just proven to be patently FALSE based on the e-mails (between football program and KFAN program director) that were just read on KFAN. What you are citing above is purely spin on behalf of the Gopher program - in fact if the e-mails Barrerio just read were read verbatim, the spin offered by the Gophers is just plain untrue - made up out of thin air.

I'm 100% willing to place some of the blame on KFAN for feeding into the frenzy all day yesterday, but somehow trying to say or imply that the poor football program are just innocent victims here is just ludicrous. Is it really that hard to cast a critical eye on a football program that wears the colors you cheer for?

Wait a minute....KFAN is a sports station?

Hartman (gone!), Cole and Barrerio CONSTANTLY claim that it's NOT a sports station and if you listen, they spend their day trying to prove it!:clap:

I'll say this. I never listen to KFAN. Ever. Not that I have a strong dislike for them or anything, I just don't get into sports talk radio. Never have. But this is another example of Brewster being an immature little child and apparently now a liar too. I applaud KFAN for reading these e-mails. They had no choice. Brewster and/or the U tried to call them liars, apparently because they were too stupid to realize they'd already left a paper trail behind that proves that Brewster is in fact the liar. Brewster is a joke. Maturi already has a strong dislike for Brewster, and this is more fuel for the fire. If the Gophers are under .500 this year, Brewster will be gone.

Top Bottom