Shama: U Treads Water in Football Ticket Sales; attendance will likely be similar and perhaps less than a year ago

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Shama:

The University of Minnesota athletic department is flat-lining in the sale of season tickets for 2022 home football games and it appears average attendance could be less than last year’s figure of 46,140.

Through a public records request by Sports Headliners, the U disclosed ticket totals from 2022 and 2021. As of a week ago last Friday, 23,443 public season tickets had been sold, compared with a final total of 24,794 in 2021. The respective number of accounts for these tickets: 7,138 and 7,541.

The U reported 5,549 student season tickets sold so far for 2022. The final total last year was 7,396.

While totals for both public and student season tickets will increase in the immediate days ahead, the sales window is closing fast with the first home game of the year less than two weeks out. The U reported no increase in the price of season tickets from 2021 and said a common explanation for discontinuing tickets was a change “in life circumstances or life event.”

Single game tickets have been on sale since July. The U predicted home games with Purdue and Iowa “are expected to sell out or come very close thereto.”

Average attendance will likely be similar and perhaps less than a year ago when the Gophers had a more attractive home schedule facing Ohio State, Nebraska and Wisconsin. The Ohio State game was the lone sellout at 50,805 seat Huntington Bank Stadium. Interestingly, average home attendance of 46,140 last year was almost identical to the 46,190 average in 2019.

What to make of the ticket buying habits for Gophers football games? On the upbeat side, the Gophers are coming off a 9-4 year that included a second win in the last four seasons against border rival Wisconsin and bowl victory over West Virginia. In the last three seasons coach P.J. Fleck’s record is an impressive 23-10 and the Gophers are expected to be a dark horse in the race for a Big Ten West Division title. The U noted in its report to SportsHeadliners the public and students are buying season tickets because of improvement in the team and “general optimism” about the future.

On the flip side, Minnesota hasn’t won a Big Ten title since 1967 and while the program has flirted with winning a championship in the recent past it hasn’t delivered. Nor have the Gophers established themselves as a consistent top 25 team that certainly would deliver more ticket buyers for home games.

Go Gophers!!

Ticket sales have been trending down all over the country. Seems to me if we are basically holding steady that should be considered a good thing.

Edit - Added factor of only having 4 home Big Ten games with Iowa being the only team that would really motivate people to want to buy tickets (Purdue, Rutgers, Northwestern won't move the needle for most fans).

So if we are holding steady in our super competitive market with a pretty crappy home schedule (from a fan standpoint) I would see that as a major positive in terms of the interest of fans in the program.

Last edited:

more a
There are more season ticket holder accounts than last year: that’s a good sign IMO

as I read it, he listed 2022 first and 2021 second.

So I read that as 2022: 23,443 season tix with 7,138 accounts, and
2021: 24,794 season tix with 7,541 accounts.

But, if you do the math - 2022 and 2021 each average out to just over 3.28 tickets per account. so, in order to match last year, they need another 400 season tickets accounts sold approximately.

more a

as I read it, he listed 2022 first and 2021 second.

So I read that as 2022: 23,443 season tix with 7,138 accounts, and
2021: 24,794 season tix with 7,541 accounts.

But, if you do the math - 2022 and 2021 each average out to just over 3.28 tickets per account. so, in order to match last year, they need another 400 season tickets accounts sold approximately.
Yeah I may have read that wrong.

I think we are always going to have a tougher time selling tickets in the years with 4 big ten games and no Wisconsin as opposed to the 5 big ten games including Wisconsin.

Home schedule last year
3 - Ohio state
11- Miami Oh
12 - Bowling green
4 - Nebraska
8 - Maryland
7 - Illinois
1 - Wisconsin

Home schedule this year:
13 - New Mexico State
14 - Western Illinois
6 - Colorado
5 - Purdue
10 - Rutgers
9 - Northwestern
2 - Iowa

With how I personally would rank them in terms of interest

I think it also makes a difference that I think the three biggest draws in the division are Iowa, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. We get two of them at home in the year with 5 big ten games.
We also had Ohio state at home in a crossover last year whereas we don’t host any of the top 4 from the other division this year.
Bad home schedule…hopefully it means we win some games at home.

The 2022 home schedule is garbage, but that's why building the season ticket holder base is so important. In Minnesota's crowded sports scene, we can see attendance rise in a given season if the team and a schedule are attractive. But that will come and go.

Once a person has season tickets, they typically renew automatically (until their life changes, maybe). We're finally making really good headway with the student section and have had a few good years with them in attendance. Those students have to turn into season ticket holders after they graduate. Building a season ticket base is a long-term project.

The 2022 home schedule is garbage, but that's why building the season ticket holder base is so important. In Minnesota's crowded sports scene, we can see attendance rise in a given season if the team and a schedule are attractive. But that will come and go.

Once a person has season tickets, they typically renew automatically (until their life changes, maybe). We're finally making really good headway with the student section and have had a few good years with them in attendance. Those students have to turn into season ticket holders after they graduate. Building a season ticket base is a long-term project.
It’s also tough to maintain right now as boomer season ticket holders are starting to get to the age that they might not renew due to their mobility changing

Don’t know how many years some of my relatives have left

The game experience continues to decline with inumerable TV time outs, poorly manned and overly expensive food and beverage venues, security rules that seem irrational, and not having the stadium filled with loud and raucous fans.
In truth, the professional soccer experience in MN has captured many possible Gopher fans.
Then, as mentioned above, the availability of large TVs which actually show more of the game than you can see as a fan in the comfort and convenience of your home..

It’s also tough to maintain right now as boomer season ticket holders are starting to get to the age that they might not renew due to their mobility changing

Yep, as a tail-end Boomer got my first new knee on July 5th timed to be healed and functional for FB season.

Unfortunately will miss Jerry's Kids at TCF as don't really want my first big outing since the procedure to be an 8 PM start.

Still, expect to be in the stands Game 2 with an 11 AM start. 2nd knee gets done after FB season, probably in December. Should be set for at least another decade in the stands with the new hardware.

Yep, as a tail-end Boomer got my first new knee on July 5th timed to be healed and functional for FB season.

Unfortunately will miss Jerry's Kids at TCF as don't really want my first big outing since the procedure to be an 8 PM start.

Still, expect to be in the stands Game 2 with an 11 AM start. 2nd knee gets done after FB season, probably in December. Should be set for at least another decade in the stands with the new hardware.

Be well @BilldGopher, here’s to a full recovery and hopefully once you get your second new knee your 40 time is sub 4.8 again, electronic timed of course.

Go BilldGopher’s Knees!!

Glad you’re on the mend

This is why I think PJ is so crucial. He has a lot of younger fans excited. You’re right that there are a high number of older STHers. They can’t do it forever.

The game experience continues to decline with inumerable TV time outs, poorly manned and overly expensive food and beverage venues, security rules that seem irrational, and not having the stadium filled with loud and raucous fans.
In truth, the professional soccer experience in MN has captured many possible Gopher fans.
Then, as mentioned above, the availability of large TVs which actually show more of the game than you can see as a fan in the comfort and convenience of your home..
I have a lot of friends with Loons season tickets and a lot of friends with gopher football season tickets and I’m the only one with both. I don’t think the circles overlap nearly as much as you do.

Home schedule this year is pretty meh.
Yeah, you should see who the opponent is before you pull for your team. Makes perfect “Minnesotan” sense.

Minnesota “fans” look for far more excuses not to go than reasons to go. It’s often embarrassing.

Sometimes the games that end up being really good or important aren't obvious on the schedule.

Last year's game at Purdue looked kind of ugly, rainy, and it was the week after the Bowling Green massacre. It ended up being a really exciting game, Purdue went on to be good, and it was the Gophers best win all year until the Axe game.

For all we know the Purdue Minnesota game could decide the West.

I'm a MNUFC season, Gopher season and 4 pack ISU ticket holder. All of which combined is probably still less than 1 viking season ticket!

No matter the outcome...the Billds have a saying..."Winning is better"....

Sometimes it's Mrs. Billd and sometimes me. But always offered since the Metrodome days.

When stated after an L inevitably comes the "only if this or that" for a given play, series, or decison.

Of course after a W is just rejoicing the buzz that comes with a win, whether expected or not.

We're getting close. Really feels good coming into this year...

And yes, you can get the buzz or letdown on the 72" screen too. In the end though Being There is superior...and season tickets is the guaranteed opportunity for that.

Maybe young fans, but I don't know. As far as older people go...I personally know close to ten people that attend Loons games. Believe me, none of them were ever going to attend a Gopher football game, let alone a Gopher basketball game, a Vikings game, a Twins game, or any other mainstream sporting event driven by money. Since I first started socializing and/or working with these people I have pretty much heard every disparaging, stereotypical comment about athletes, rich owners, obnoxious fans, the greed, the money, how universities should not be supporting athletics, and so on. These people were more fans of arguing over the latest overrated IPA, frisbee golf, The Renaissance Festival, the latest iPhone, and when the next Star Wars or Marvel movie was going to be released.

Then pro soccer gains popularity in the U.S.A, and for reasons only they can explain, it is immune to all of problems they see in mainstream sports. They feel they've got some pure form of entertainment that is far more superior to that of the lowly football fan...sorry, American football fan, and the baseball and basketball fan, and the rest of us are too stupid to figure it out. As my dad used to say "They think their shit don't stink". I know, I know...not all soccer fans are this way. But the ~10 that I know are. But hey, if that's what they're into, I'm not going to stop them from wearing a scarf in the middle of summer.

Anyway, I don't think there is much of crossover between soccer fans and footb...DANG IT!, American football fans. And I don't know of any Gopher football fans or heard of any Gopher football fans that are bailing out to buy Loons tickets.

For what it's worth, I think we probably have some of the highest priced single-game tickets in the Big 10. A few years ago a friend bought 4 tickets to the Nebraska game at about $130 each. He told me that was the last time he'd do that. The powers that be evidently need a course in supply and demand. I even asked Mark Coyle this pricing question a few years back and he said that his department was constantly looking at it. That being said, nothing has changed over his tenure in terms of the ticket prices. Just once, I wish "they" would make a decision to find a price for tickets, for the average family, that would fill up the stadium for every game. I would think that it would be better to lower the prices and sell to more people, than to keep the prices high and sell to fewer people, but maybe I'm wrong. They also need a major overhaul in the marketing area. The latest fiasco regarding the Red Baron Pizza deal g is a prime example. Promoting the 2 free tickets with the pizza purchase and then sending out a 2-year old email telling the customers that there is nothing left for the ticket allotment, is absurd but totally expected.

Maybe young fans, but I don't know. As far as older people go...I personally know close to ten people that attend Loons games. Believe me, none of them were ever going to attend a Gopher football game, let alone a Gopher basketball game, a Vikings game, a Twins game, or any other mainstream sporting event driven by money. Since I first started socializing and/or working with these people I have pretty much heard every disparaging, stereotypical comment about athletes, rich owners, obnoxious fans, the greed, the money, how universities should not be supporting athletics, and so on. These people were more fans of arguing over the latest overrated IPA, frisbee golf, The Renaissance Festival, the latest iPhone, and when the next Star Wars or Marvel movie was going to be released.

Then pro soccer gains popularity in the U.S.A, and for reasons only they can explain, it is immune to all of problems they see in mainstream sports. They feel they've got some pure form of entertainment that is far more superior to that of the lowly football fan...sorry, American football fan, and the baseball and basketball fan, and the rest of us are too stupid to figure it out. As my dad used to say "They think their shit don't stink". I know, I know...not all soccer fans are this way. But the ~10 that I know are. But hey, if that's what they're into, I'm not going to stop them from wearing a scarf in the middle of summer.

Anyway, I don't think there is much of crossover between soccer fans and footb...DANG IT!, American football fans. And I don't know of any Gopher football fans or heard of any Gopher football fans that are bailing out to buy Loons tickets.
I'm a big soccer fan, and I agree with a lot of what you said. There is a very pretentious culture among a large segment of the fan base.

I'm not going to stop them from wearing a scarf in the middle of summer.
Haha! Perfect.
Soccer has the year round scarf. I have never understood.
Hockey has the stocking cap with fluffy ball up top. Makes a little sense. A little.
What else?

Haha! Perfect.
Soccer has the year round scarf. I have never understood.
Hockey has the stocking cap with fluffy ball up top. Makes a little sense. A little.
What else?
Baseball has flat brim hats.
Football (mostly NFL) has men in face paint and costumes.
Golf has polo shirts and khaki pants.

I'll say this for soccer. the people who attend those matches really see themselves as part of the action. almost constant singing, drumming, chanting, etc through the entire match.

compare that to other sports where the video board has to encourage fans to "get loud" or "make noise."

now, soccer is about 19,000 fans - less than half of a typical Gopher football crowd, but they fill the place at or very near capacity every match.

in all honesty, I would say the in-stadium atmosphere for a Loons match is better than a Gopher football game right now. (probably helps they have a beer hall connected to the stadium.........)
and a soccer match is over in 2 hours, unlike college football with 3-1/2 hour games.

The Gophers should be asking themselves, how can we connect with a younger fan base and how can we get that same level of enthusiasm among our fans?

Top Bottom