Shama: Sources say Coyle had decided to fire Pitino, reached out to possible replacements, "(probably) spared by the pandemic"

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

Did circumstances caused by the coronavirus prompt Golden Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle to announce last week that basketball coach Richard Pitino will return for another season?

A sports executive, asking for anonymity, told Sports Headliners a couple of weeks ago he heard Coyle had decided to fire Pitino, who was completing his seventh season leading the Gophers. Another source, with close ties to the University of Minnesota, said rumors this winter were Coyle had reached out to potential replacements.

As of last week, developments from the coronavirus had the University anticipating $50 million or more in new expenses. It could be that Coyle, in consultation with school president Joan Gabel, decided against giving Pitino the $2 million buyout his contract demands.

Critics would have pounced hard on University leaders for spending $2 million during such difficult times at the U and throughout the state of Minnesota. Fault-finders wouldn’t care the $2 million probably would have come from the largely self-supporting athletic department, and not from tax dollars out of the University’s general fund.

Gabel and Coyle may well have sized up the situation and seen that the practicality and the perception of changing basketball coaches just now was not the way to go. “Richard was (probably) spared by the pandemic,” said the source with close ties to the U.

Was it the right decision? For years there has been a chorus of Pitino critics, speaking with conviction that the program has underperformed. This winter the noise level jumped with loud complaining and second-guessing from the fan-base. There were blown leads in games and close defeats, including to border rivals Iowa and Wisconsin. The emotions of this winter became combined with too many past seasons of frustrations that even involved misbehavior by players.

Go Gophers!!

Yeah not sure this helps. Undermines coach and won’t help recruiting.

Exactly, nothing like the local media throwing a little shade on the program to help recruiting.

Shama continues to be a worthless tool

What's the matter with this guy? At some point along the line, someone must have shut him out of the innerworkings of the U, so he takes every opportunity to poop on the program he can get.

As for hurting recruiting, someone besides us has to read his drivel before it can hurt it. I get the sense we are the only ones who read it through the links provided. I'm glad I know what a jerk he is, but I am also confident that very few people actually know who he is.

A wonderful contribution to the journalistic universe that was conceived while pinching out a turtle head.

Freedom of the press, don't read it or use your freedom of speech to disagree.
There might just be a bit of truth in the article.

What a lame article. It does absolutely no good for anyone and could potentially do great harm. Even if it's true, this helps no one, and you'd better believe that things like this are used in negative recruiting. Pathetic...

That's fine. Shama is a dirt bag for writing it. I say that freely. But this is not new territory for him. He is not talented.

per Shama:

Did circumstances caused by the coronavirus prompt Golden Gophers athletic director Mark Coyle to announce last week that basketball coach Richard Pitino will return for another season?

A sports executive, asking for anonymity, told Sports Headliners a couple of weeks ago he heard Coyle had decided to fire Pitino, who was completing his seventh season leading the Gophers. Another source, with close ties to the University of Minnesota, said rumors this winter were Coyle had reached out to potential replacements.

As of last week, developments from the coronavirus had the University anticipating $50 million or more in new expenses. It could be that Coyle, in consultation with school president Joan Gabel, decided against giving Pitino the $2 million buyout his contract demands.

Critics would have pounced hard on University leaders for spending $2 million during such difficult times at the U and throughout the state of Minnesota. Fault-finders wouldn’t care the $2 million probably would have come from the largely self-supporting athletic department, and not from tax dollars out of the University’s general fund.

Gabel and Coyle may well have sized up the situation and seen that the practicality and the perception of changing basketball coaches just now was not the way to go. “Richard was (probably) spared by the pandemic,” said the source with close ties to the U.

Was it the right decision? For years there has been a chorus of Pitino critics, speaking with conviction that the program has underperformed. This winter the noise level jumped with loud complaining and second-guessing from the fan-base. There were blown leads in games and close defeats, including to border rivals Iowa and Wisconsin. The emotions of this winter became combined with too many past seasons of frustrations that even involved misbehavior by players.

Go Gophers!!
Is the "sports executive" built badgers? :)

Its highly likely to be true but that’s not the point. Only damages the program by publishing it

Lame, lame, lame. D minus on your sports journalism project, Mr. Shama.

For one thing, horrible header ---- (probably)........

get the facts Jack! Do NOT waste our time....

I don't care what Shama writes about. Its how he writes it.

"probably" "maybe" "a source said but didn't confirm" and shit like that. He is just like Doogie.

Reporters - or opinion columnists - are not cheerleaders for the home town team.

If - and I say If this is legitimate, it is certainly newsworthy.

And, FWIW, Pat Reusse said late in the season that he was talking to a well-connected source who said Pitino was not coming back. Reusse said the guy is a credible source who generally knows what's going on at the U.

having said that - people who leak or provide info to the media have an agenda. Agents use 'friendly' reporters to float trial balloons or influence decision-makers.

But - if multiple sources were suggesting that Coyle was - at least - thinking strongly about making a change, it is entirely plausible that the virus shutdown may have influenced the decision-making process.

Reaching out to potential replacements does not equate to "decided to fire". Stupid article

It could be interesting next year how this all plays out. With only non-P6 teams firing their coaches so far, are we going to see P6 programs fire their coaches later, or is everybody going to keep coaches intact for another season due to the current climate? Which would result in more firings than normal next year, and thus more openings. Which would result in more competition for coaches, and probably higher salaries and fewer schools getting their top target.

my sources says St. Thomas plans on joining Big East...possibly buy the U.

per Shama:
Go Gophers!!

I appreciate how hard you work to post every possible news source about gophers. Personally I can't remember when Shama wrote a worthwhile article. I don't want to waste my time reading even the headlines much less the article. If the moderators came up with a "block" that covered this I'd be all for it. Sometime just pull up his last 10 stories and examine if they really say anything. If shama had an axe to grind with the coach and wanted to help him to the door, publish unsupported claims like this prior to him getting renewed. This is the kind of story I would expect an opposing coach to fabricate while trying to recruit a kid away from here. Now it's not fabricated because it's given life. What an ass of a local sports writer.

Yep. He's now Dan Monson circa 2006. "We would have fired him but..."

I hope there are a couple of Hoffarber/Al Nolen recruits who want to come regardless or our next recruiting class is screwed.

He might be done now but he identified Freeman early and stuck with him, if he's got any clue on identifying and developing raw talent that might turn out better than expected, he wasn't a last minute spring signee.

Ihnen is developing, all he needs is for Kalschuer to return to freshman year form and Willis be more consistant. Hopefully Curry will provide some minutes and the freshman will be able to contribute.

Pitino seems more confident about the future than we are, have to see how it plays out next year, lots of ifs that haven't panned out in the past though.

This is actually what I thought happened right when it was announced. I should say that if Coyle wanted to move on from Pitino, the pandemic really made that process considerably harder.

I'm not sure if the article hurts Pitino. He is clearly on the hot seat. Every recruit and player knows that he is coaching for his job next year, regardless of Shama's article (and whether or not it's accurate).

The damage done by Shama's article was already done when Coyle brought Pitino back.

As far as Shama being a dirtbag, why? If this is true, why would he not report it? If it isn't true, it's typical journalism that happens every day.

Absolutely believe it.

Damn!!

SOB saved by a virus. Just delayed inevitable by a year.

Shama just torpedoed recruiting and set himself up for a future article about Pitino's inability to attract Minnesota recruits all at the same time.

Nice. He should just move to Wisconsin.

Shama just torpedoed recruiting and set himself up for a future article about Pitino's inability to attract Minnesota recruits all at the same time.

Nice. He should just move to Wisconsin.

This.

I guess he'll just have to win with what he has then, if he wants to try to save his job??

He just got a free one-year stay of execution, through no cause of his own doing.

Top Bottom