Shama: Sources say Coyle had decided to fire Pitino, reached out to possible replacements, "(probably) spared by the pandemic"

I guess he'll just have to win with what he has then, if he wants to try to save his job??

He just got a free one-year stay of execution, through no cause of his own doing.
Pure conjecture on your part.

It did sound a little like piling on with the recruiting rejoinder to his own article. Also bringing up the 20 years of finishing lower than the Badgers in the B1G standing seemed a bit excessive. I didn't realize after The 2 new Minnesota recruits join the Badgers that we would have 7 on next years roster. Interesting.
I don't believe an article like that could wrought any more negative affect on recruiting in Minnesota for the Gophers than has already been earned through the lack of interest showed those 7 players by Pitino!

Shama just torpedoed recruiting and set himself up for a future article about Pitino's inability to attract Minnesota recruits all at the same time.
Pitino's recruiting was already torpedoed and Shama had nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

this is how people come to think what is written is truth.

I had to stop reading...horrible

Regardless what people think of Shama, he's under no obligation to sit on a story and/or wait for someone else to report it and scoop him, just to benefit the U of M. If this is true--and it almost certainly is--the fans would rather know than not know.

It certainly rings true with Coyle's tone in his statement. It laid down a pretty demanding expectation that Richard is going to be hard pressed to meet in the next year at least. That lays the foundation for dismissal when and if that expectation isn't realized.

I have no opinion on the source, but we've already heard rumors about them having a private plane reserved etc. It's very easy to believe this is the case. And in any event, it doesn't really matter. Unless he pulls an NCAA bid out of his hat, he's fired one year from now.

Its highly likely to be true but that’s not the point. Only damages the program by publishing it
So freedom of the press ends when what is published might damage a college basket ball program?
I sincerely doubt that argument passes constitutional muster and in fact is downright dangerous.

This is actually what I thought happened right when it was announced. I should say that if Coyle wanted to move on from Pitino, the pandemic really made that process considerably harder.

I'm not sure if the article hurts Pitino. He is clearly on the hot seat. Every recruit and player knows that he is coaching for his job next year, regardless of Shama's article (and whether or not it's accurate).

The damage done by Shama's article was already done when Coyle brought Pitino back.

As far as Shama being a dirtbag, why? If this is true, why would he not report it? If it isn't true, it's typical journalism that happens every day.
Good point. We already know Pitino's on the hot seat, recruits included. Pitino's in for a rough year. Plenty of time to find the new guy and hopefully get our #1 the following year.

Last edited:

What's the matter with this guy? At some point along the line, someone must have shut him out of the innerworkings of the U, so he takes every opportunity to poop on the program he can get.

As for hurting recruiting, someone besides us has to read his drivel before it can hurt it. I get the sense we are the only ones who read it through the links provided. I'm glad I know what a jerk he is, but I am also confident that very few people actually know who he is.
Agreed. I had never heard of and still would not know who Shama is if it wasn't for his idiocy being posted here. So on one hand, I doubt he has a huge following. On the other, this site has helped turn him into something bigger than he is. Why?

The way some of these experts are talking, I'll just be glad to have basketball back next year.

Shama just torpedoed recruiting and set himself up for a future article about Pitino's inability to attract Minnesota recruits all at the same time.

Nice. He should just move to Wisconsin.

What changed? Don't we all agree that next year is make or break for Pitino? I don't see how any thing changes going into next year.

Is the "sports executive" built badgers? :)
Not a chance. Could care less what he wrote or if it is true. I do not see it as damaging the program. Recruits and families have so much information that goes into their decision and would never give any credence that far down the line. Just like is a local writer wrote that he was the best coach in history would have zero influence on a recruit thinking so. All things being equal i would prefer he did not write it but he has his right to do so and people will read it. People post absurdities about Pitino across the spectrum all the time because they can, not because any of it is based in facts. Players know the facts and then they add in playing time, hometown, style of play, prospective teammates , climate, facilities, field of study, best offer versus others based on the criteria. Kids now will wait for the offer they want, it does not come they pick another. Some kids know right away on a visit and commit on the spot, even before they are seniors.

I guess he'll just have to win with what he has then, if he wants to try to save his job??

He just got a free one-year stay of execution, through no cause of his own doing.

He's already got Thompson committed, nice start regardless of his status.

Freedom of the press, don't read it or use your freedom of speech to disagree.
There might just be a bit of truth in the article.

Agreed. I felt exactly the same thing when he was retained; if this were a normal year, he would have been fired. Yes, avoidance of additional expenses at this time likely was a significant part of the decision not to pull the trigger but I believe there were also intangibles as well. The powers behind Coyle (and maybe Coyle as well) didn't want to have any more upheaval in this environment of uncertainty and fear.

Reporters - or opinion columnists - are not cheerleaders for the home town team.

If - and I say If this is legitimate, it is certainly newsworthy.

And, FWIW, Pat Reusse said late in the season that he was talking to a well-connected source who said Pitino was not coming back. Reusse said the guy is a credible source who generally knows what's going on at the U.

having said that - people who leak or provide info to the media have an agenda. Agents use 'friendly' reporters to float trial balloons or influence decision-makers.

But - if multiple sources were suggesting that Coyle was - at least - thinking strongly about making a change, it is entirely plausible that the virus shutdown may have influenced the decision-making process.
You miss the point entirely. The whole article is based upon conjecture by an unnamed source that thinks they know what is going on. Maybe he and Pat talked to the same "booster" that thinks he has some influence... It doesn't matter how much you would like it to be true, there is no journalist justification to write something crap like this. And I heard from my sisters's boyfriend that his buddies dad who has seen the Gopher play once, thinks that Coyle wanted to sign Pitino to a lifetime contract... See, I can make shit up too.

Coyle has been very tight lipped about everything he has done in the past. Do you actually think he is going to gossip around to fans that he wants to fire a current coach? Get real.

Absolutely believe it.

Damn!!

SOB saved by a virus. Just delayed inevitable by a year.

Probably, but we won't know for sure until the season plays out. Everybody might be hurt somewhat by what is going on now and in the intermediate future. Who knows? Maybe Pitino will have a better-than-expected season next year. Stranger things have happened. One thing I will say about the guy: he may not have great luck as a coach trying to field consistently competitive teams on the court, but he has tremendous luck in retaining his job.

Think about it. First of all, he was saved by an idiotic athletic director making him too expensive to fire for several years. Then, he was saved by an amazing one-year turnaround after a historically abysmal season. Then, when his rope was fraying again, he was saved by his team clawing its way into the NCAA tournament and an opening round victory. Finally, he is saved by a once-in-a-century pandemic coupled with an environment of tremendous uncertainty and impending recession.

Coyle has been very tight lipped about everything he has done in the past. Do you actually think he is going to gossip around to fans that he wants to fire a current coach? Get real.

NO, YOU GET REAL!! Do I think Coyle gossiped to fans? Hell no. But, there is no way in hell an athletic director didn't discuss this situation with important persons and some of those important persons may have discussed this matter with associates. Somewhere along the way, someone leaked.

What world to you live in? Have you not noticed all of the leaks coming out of the White House and other government agencies over the last few years or do you just live in a GOPHER HOLE bubble?

What changed? Don't we all agree that next year is make or break for Pitino? I don't see how any thing changes going into next year.

Of course you are right. Apparently some yokels on this site believe that Pitino's record and dissatisfaction with that are state secrets.

First off....I do not believe that any "journalist" is required to be a homer and/or needs to apologize for what he/she writes if it doesn't put the local team or coach in a positive light. I also don't believe that we as fans are obligated to write nice things in every post in the local team's forum as if this is the number one reason a player picks a college.

HOWEVER....if the general consensus regarding the Pitino tenure is he doesn't recruit enough Minnesota kids because these kids have some sort of home team Minnesota bias and we are the only D1 program in the State, blah blah blah......then it would be naive to believe these same Minnesota kids wouldn't be consuming the media and fan forums of that very university. The number of negative columns and negative threads on this team would most assuredly be read by these recruits and couldn't possibly help the recruitment.

Not meant to be an excuse for Pitino but the vibe around this program from the media and fans would be enough for me to steer clear.

I see a scenario in which the Gophers do well next year (maybe 11-9 in conference, better than their 50-year historical average), make the tourney, and Pitino leaves for another program. He's a good coach and will do well.

Hiring the next coach would be the exact same crap shoot its always been at Minnesota.

First off....I do not believe that any "journalist" is required to be a homer and/or needs to apologize for what he/she writes if it doesn't put the local team or coach in a positive light. I also don't believe that we as fans are obligated to write nice things in every post in the local team's forum as if this is the number one reason a player picks a college.

HOWEVER....if the general consensus regarding the Pitino tenure is he doesn't recruit enough Minnesota kids because these kids have some sort of home team Minnesota bias and we are the only D1 program in the State, blah blah blah......then it would be naive to believe these same Minnesota kids wouldn't be consuming the media and fan forums of that very university. The number of negative columns and negative threads on this team would most assuredly be read by these recruits and couldn't possibly help the recruitment.

Not meant to be an excuse for Pitino but the vibe around this program from the media and fans would be enough for me to steer clear.
Agree with you 100%. As they say the pen is mightier than the sword.

Kids are even dumber than we think (which is pretty dumb with some major generalization) if they are reading through Gopherhole and come away thinking they'd rather be somewhere else.

The MN kids are worshiped here - perhaps more than anywhere. We are obsessed with Minnesota kids. We don't care if they are good. We want em on our team because they are from here. So the idea that a kid consumes this message board and it sways them from picking here is beyond silly.

Regarding Shama's piece, I didn't read much into it and don't care that much either way. It's believable on all accounts and writing a story (at a time where there aint much to write about) about something being impacted by the current state of affairs, in theory, drives traffic. It also isn't like a court case where he needs evidence beyond all reasonable doubt. Shama has editors above his pay grade. They read his piece and decided it was good enough to print. If they thought he was venturing into some ethical gray areas, they could've pulled the plug. So let's not act like this is a random off-his-rocker writer who just happens to spew stuff some Gopher fans don't like in the newspaper.

It's low-hanging fruit. That's my complaint with the whole thing. I hate when they write about the kids the gophers missed on in a hindsight deal (even if I do it in my head in my free time which admittedly, I have way too much of) because it's an easy way to stir up the mob. It's lazy. If they do it, talk about the kids they almost had from all over rather than just the 'one-of-us' kids.

But as referenced before, the newspaper has to keep pumping out content, and when there's nothing to write about, guys are just trying to get through the work week with something. When faced with no other options, the low-hanging fruit, whispers of a coach-on-the-obvious-hot-seat-saved-by-the-virus story will do.

Not a chance. Could care less what he wrote or if it is true. I do not see it as damaging the program. Recruits and families have so much information that goes into their decision and would never give any credence that far down the line. Just like is a local writer wrote that he was the best coach in history would have zero influence on a recruit thinking so. All things being equal i would prefer he did not write it but he has his right to do so and people will read it. People post absurdities about Pitino across the spectrum all the time because they can, not because any of it is based in facts. Players know the facts and then they add in playing time, hometown, style of play, prospective teammates , climate, facilities, field of study, best offer versus others based on the criteria. Kids now will wait for the offer they want, it does not come they pick another. Some kids know right away on a visit and commit on the spot, even before they are seniors.
fraud

NO, YOU GET REAL!! Do I think Coyle gossiped to fans? Hell no. But, there is no way in hell an athletic director didn't discuss this situation with important persons and some of those important persons may have discussed this matter with associates. Somewhere along the way, someone leaked.

What world to you live in? Have you not noticed all of the leaks coming out of the White House and other government agencies over the last few years or do you just live in a GOPHER HOLE bubble?
My fans comment was a slam at the so called well connected person that thinks they know the inside scoop. It would have to be true in order for it to be leaked. This fish wrap writer only needs to get a well oiled “booster” to discuss their opinion of what they thinks is going on. It may be true or it may not be true, but even the writer doesn’t know if it is true so it should not be printed. Printed such crap is more along the lines of some blog, not a legitimate newspaper. Get real.

Using the WH as an example is comical. How much truth has come out of their from the official channels, they have even stopped regular press conferences (do you even know who is the current Press Secretary?).

I have to give Max on WCCO a shoutout. He did a good piece on Suggs last night winning MN Mr. Basketball. Not once was Gonzaga mentioned. Most other local reporters would have touted about how he was good enough to make it out of the state and not have to play for the Gophers.

I have to give Max on WCCO a shoutout. He did a good piece on Suggs last night winning MN Mr. Basketball. Not once was Gonzaga mentioned. Most other local reporters would have touted about how he was good enough to make it out of the state and not have to play for the Gophers.
he was probably instructed to read what his online editor provides.

Well, if Coyle discussed it with a certain sports executive and he knows that the person then blabbed to Shama (off all people) then Coyle now thinks that person is an idiot.

By the way, people that "leak" that way, are not always in the know. They will sometimes twist things to fit their own agenda, as we have found. Sometimes the leaks are real and the information is not.

He's already got Thompson committed, nice start regardless of his status.
Thompson sounds like the kinda guy whose dream it is to come play for the Gophers no matter who the coach is. (y)

Top Bottom