Shama: Season ticket sales down 18%, student season ticket sales down 23%

I see that you’re still busy arranging deck chairs on the Titanic.

The problem is not the price of tickets. The problem is that people expect to get something else beyond tickets when they pay for tickets. The price is the price. Pay it or don't pay it. What you get is tickets. I don't go buy a car, ask the dealer what else I get in addition to the car, then stay up all night gnashing my teeth and wondering what everyone else paid for their cars.

The price is absolutely a problem.

And the car analogy is awful. It's more like leasing a condo. You decide whether or not to re-up every year depending on price and amenities. The Gophers are like a mid-level condo in Hopkins or something; does the job and you don't mind paying the asking price. Then, after 10 years they put in new sidewalks (an 8-5 season) and tell everyone their rent will be tripling over three years. Everyone laughs at the association and takes their dollars elsewhere.

The price is absolutely a problem.

And the car analogy is awful. It's more like leasing a condo. You decide whether or not to re-up every year depending on price and amenities. The Gophers are like a mid-level condo in Hopkins or something; does the job and you don't mind paying the asking price. Then, after 10 years they put in new sidewalks (an 8-5 season) and tell everyone their rent will be tripling over three years. Everyone laughs at the association and takes their dollars elsewhere.

That's actually an excellent analogy, nice job!

Supply and demand is not surprisingly a difficult concept for the folks at the U. Much better to wait until a waiting list forms to raise prices.

The problem is not the price of tickets. The problem is that people expect to get something else beyond tickets when they pay for tickets. The price is the price. Pay it or don't pay it. What you get is tickets. I don't go buy a car, ask the dealer what else I get in addition to the car, then stay up all night gnashing my teeth and wondering what everyone else paid for their cars.

I don't expect anything else (maybe the sticker they gave out the first year would be nice) except pricing that makes sense to the situation. It didn't make sense then or now.

If only you had asked, you would be getting free car washes for life! :rolleyes:

I was also offered tickets to Colorado State. I declined, as I had already purchased tickets, and they are better than offered. I will attend the session before the game with AD. I'm willing to listen.

By the way, it would not have to be thus. Purchasing Twins season tickets, even at the lowest level (20 game, 3rd deck), allows you some perks not available to the general public. You get a lower ticket price for premium games, you get access to the Metropolitan clubs, exclusive stadium tours, exclusive happy hours before game, exclusive autograph sessions, comped tickets to Twins Fest--and a bunch of other stuff.

The University could do the something, if it chose to. The fact that they do not does not make it silly for people to wish it did.

Season tickets.

I agree. I think by the pricing of the Iowa game and the North Dakota hockey game, they will be setting prices to encourage season tickets going forward. Likely the base price will go up.

Buy season ticket for $450 or pay the $85 plus per seat going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree, that nobody should expect anything other than what they are buying. I still purchase season tickets. I was given the choice.

But unfortunately, I think the U is in a sticky situation after everything. Sure, as a business, if you purchase goods from a particular vendor, they don't owe you anything more than the goods that they provide at the agreed upon price. But it's also not uncommon for that vendor to stop in & drop off a dozen or two doughnuts.....or offer a pair of Twins tickets....or whatever it is. Unfortunately, there seems to be an alternative to season tickets right now, whether that be spending money on something else...or perhaps just purchasing football tickets individually at lower prices than what one would pay as a season ticket holder.

Once again, I agree that nobody is owed anything. But I don't think it would be a bad idea for the U to think of something as a thank you to their current customers. Unfortunately, I think we may be at that point right now.

By the way, it would not have to be thus. Purchasing Twins season tickets, even at the lowest level (20 game, 3rd deck), allows you some perks not available to the general public. You get a lower ticket price for premium games, you get access to the Metropolitan clubs, exclusive stadium tours, exclusive happy hours before game, exclusive autograph sessions, comped tickets to Twins Fest--and a bunch of other stuff.

The University could do the something, if it chose to. The fact that they do not does not make it silly for people to wish it did.

Season Ticket Holder Security Lines!

I will say as both a Gopher and Twins season ticket holder, the Twins do a better job of at least reaching out once or twice during the season. I've never heard from the Gophers in 3 years after purchasing my season tickets and were are in Zone 2. They're probably missing huge cross-sell opportunities to other events, season tickets, etc.

At this point we'll see what the new AD does, I don't see them reducing prices, but maybe shuffling the Zones to open up lower priced seats in areas where there is less concentration. The Twins have done this every year.

Here's the the thing. The University sales and marketing department promotes the Gophers like they're the only show in town. From the President right on down to the Regent's they all have a stick up their ass thinking that as a flag ship University fans will eventually bow to their knees and pay for the donation program. This was their arrogant mindset after two 8-5 seasons.Well, they were wrong. If they had any brain matter they would lower the price of season tickets starting today and credit the current season ticket holders when they renew next year at the new lower price.Offer the students 4 dollar tickets. for the remaining home games.

THIS. Over the last 3 years, we've gone from 4 tickets, two 3, now to only 2 as a group. I would def get my season tickets back if they reverted their poor ticket prices increases. I'm in the same opinion as several others with "why". I can't either scalp tickets OR buy them thru 3rd party for WAY less than having season tickets.

And, lets me honest, resale of Gopher tickets is not good. They don't have the demand of OSU/MSU/Mich. You don't want to go, you most likely are giving them away, selling for less, or leaving the seats empty. .

Students have easy access to game by game tickets and will attend based on:

1: how the team is doing.
2. opponent
3. weather

I agree with the others, price is the exact problem. I wasn't willing to pay a premium for my season tickets (sec. 243) when the seats around me went unsold to season ticket holders, and completely unsold for most games to non season ticket holders. When the seats in my row were purchased by others, they were paying a fraction of the cost that I was. As a season ticket holder the only thing I expect is that I'm guaranteed a ticket into the game. You can demand a premium for that ticket when the demand is strong and supply is limited (i.e. waiting list). Unfortunately not only was there not a strong demand, there was an abundance of supply (unsold seats). The combination of those things make the timing of the increase a horrible mistake.

I agree. I think by the pricing of the Iowa game and the North Dakota hockey game, <b>they will be setting prices to encourage season tickets </b>going forward. Likely the base price will go up.

Buy season ticket for $450 or pay the $85 plus per seat going forward.

Supply & Demand will always set the price - whether that channel is through the U and/or the secondary market.

I did not renew my two seats because I couldn't afford it this year. Im planning on getting season tickets again in 2017.

I agree with the others, price is the exact problem. I wasn't willing to pay a premium for my season tickets (sec. 243) when the seats around me went unsold to season ticket holders, and completely unsold for most games to non season ticket holders. When the seats in my row were purchased by others, they were paying a fraction of the cost that I was. As a season ticket holder the only thing I expect is that I'm guaranteed a ticket into the game. You can demand a premium for that ticket when the demand is strong and supply is limited (i.e. waiting list). Unfortunately not only was there not a strong demand, there was an abundance of supply (unsold seats). The combination of those things make the timing of the increase a horrible mistake.

This is my biggest frustration. If I was acting purely as a consumer, I would never buy season tickets. Scalped tickets are always cheaper and there really isn't a bad seat in the house. Sure, an Iowa or Wisconsin game might be expensive, but paying $5 for ISU and CSU is going to lower the average. It truly is a season ticket donation.

Not that I need a prize or be rewarded for having season tickets, but really what benefits do we get as season ticket holders? I had tickets with a good friend for the past ten years. This year he dropped his half of the tickets 100% due to the scholarship donation.

Ding ding ding.

The Demand isn't there -- and they still have the silly seating chart which causes huge swaths of "premium" seats to go to the general public with the significant decrease in season tickets since this hike was enacted. And you get the privilege of over paying for games like Indiana state.

Ding ding ding.

The Demand isn't there -- and they still have the silly seating chart which causes huge swaths of "premium" seats to go to the general public with the significant decrease in season tickets since this hike was enacted. And you get the privilege of over paying for games like Indiana state.

You're missing the point. Season tickets gives you the good feeling that goes with making a voluntary donation plus a tax deduction for those who qualify! What's not to like?!?

Maybe I'm the only one interested...but from a business perspective what percent is ticket revenue up or down?

This is a good question. I did the rough math and the revenue should be up. The hikes were bigger than 18%.

The lower deck between the ten yard lines sold really well. Those have big donation levels.

The upper deck between the 20 yard lines also brought in some very nice premiums.

They sold all the open end zone seats for premium...used to be no donation.

The corners lower deck used to be no premium. They sold some seasons...but not all. They jacked the single game price for these.

They have a very good idea of supply and demand now. Hope they fine tune the prices moving forward. Create more pricing zones, like someone else mentioned.

You're in business school, and you don't understand that price matters! LOL!

Have fun paying off those loans!

You're in business school, and you don't understand that price matters! LOL!

Have fun paying off those loans!

Please point out where I said that price doesn't matter! Thanks in advance! LOL!

It looks like dp is getting a great education in business school by claiming price isn't the problem.

Not that I need a prize or be rewarded for having season tickets, but really what benefits do we get as season ticket holders? I had tickets with a good friend for the past ten years. This year he dropped his half of the tickets 100% due to the scholarship donation. Last week he gave me a call and said that the U called him and offered him free tickets to the Colorado State game.

They have screwed up so much and don't know how they can fix it. Now they are giving free tickets to former season ticket holders but the current season ticket holders have to watch their season tickets nearly double.

When you don't sell out the stadium you really need to do something for season tickets holders. A couple of options:

1) Season ticket holders get a discount on tailgating-friendly parking spots. This would not only reward season ticket holders, but make the game day experience more fun for a number of people.

2) Probably too late for this, but when UW instituted seat licenses (but not for all seats), there was a "Loyalty Discount" for season ticket holders. I can't remember how it worked, but you got a larger discount and/or discount for more years, depending on the number of years you had held season tickets. It acknowledged that seat licenses were the new reality, but also recognized and rewarded those who had held season tickets for many years. Of course, it helped that there was a waiting list for tickets at the time.

You would think someone in the very good business school at Minnesota might have helped with this issue...

1) Season ticket holders get a discount on tailgating-friendly parking spots. This would not only reward season ticket holders, but make the game day experience more fun for a number of people.

That doesn't make much sense as when I called a lot of the parking was selling well. Not a lot of room close to the stadium.

I went to the Vikings game last night. Wow, what a stadium/experience. I love all things Minnesota football... High School, MIAC, NSIC, Gophers, Vikings. I have been a season ticket holder for 11 years. Had so much fun at the game I was contemplating on the way home dropping my Gopher tickets because I know I can get them on the secondary market for a fraction of the price and put the money I saved towards attending another couple of Vikings games.

This is a good question. I did the rough math and the revenue should be up. The hikes were bigger than 18%.

The lower deck between the ten yard lines sold really well. Those have big donation levels.

The upper deck between the 20 yard lines also brought in some very nice premiums.

They sold all the open end zone seats for premium...used to be no donation.

The corners lower deck used to be no premium. They sold some seasons...but not all. They jacked the single game price for these.

They have a very good idea of supply and demand now. Hope they fine tune the prices moving forward. Create more pricing zones, like someone else mentioned.

Parking is down... concessions are down... gear is down... and you are doing your math from year to year, not when they hikes were instituted -- which wasn't the high water mark for season ticket sales.

All in all -- when you don't sell out, you do have to price it right and offer incentives to season ticket holders. They already allow parking -- which is a huge incentive. The tax incentive with the increases -- that that great of benefit IMO.

They can fix things pretty fast by eliminating zones and make all seating based on highest to lowest gopher points. The reason you get season tickets is to get better seats IMO.

I don't expect anything else (maybe the sticker they gave out the first year would be nice) except pricing that makes sense to the situation. It didn't make sense then or now.

How about free shirts like back in the Dome days!!!!

I wish they would do a simple gesture like the Twins where season ticket holders get a minimal discount(10%) on concessions. It isn't a ton of savings for season ticket holders but at least shows you value them.

Top Bottom