Shama: D-Tackle Positions Concern Jerry Kill

BleedGopher

Reaction score
D-Tackle Positions Concern Jerry Kill

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

“The scariest thing” to Jerry Kill as he anticipates the start of spring practice on March 22 is the defensive tackles positions. Last season’s starting tackles, Brandon Kirksey and Anthony Jacobs, were both seniors.

“Somebody is going to have to step up there and that’s why we recruited the junior college kid,” Kill told Sports Headliners. “Then we (also) recruited…freshmen in there to see what would happen.”

Kill is intrigued by defensive tackle Roland Johnson, a South Carolina native via Butler Community College in Kansas, who will have two seasons of eligibility playing for the Gophers. Kill said the 6-1, 295-pound Johnson will come in as a “tremendous” junior college player.

Kill also referenced Michigan State’s Anthony Rashad White when talking about Johnson. He said White was the “best d-tackle” in the Big Ten Conference last season and White played for Fort Scott Junior College, a Butler rival. “Very similar, 6-foot, maybe 6-1, 300 pounds and can run,” Kill said.

Johnson won’t be in school until summer but Scott Epke, a freshman defensive tackle from Lewisville, Texas is here and will participate in spring practice. Epke is only 17 and Kill said the young lineman has already increased his weight from 255 to 268. “Somebody is going to have to step up in the defensive line to fill the gaps there,” Kill said. “Just don’t know who that’s going to be.”

After consecutive 3-9 seasons, it’s obvious the Gophers have plenty of personnel needs. Kill and his staff have been recruiting for improvement in overall team speed including in the defensive backfield.

Kill will have junior college defensive backs Jeremy Baltazar, Briean Boddy and Martez Shabazz available for spring practice and a key secondary returnee is senior Troy Stoudermire. “That group of guys, athletically, I feel good about but now they (the newcomers) gotta learn what to do,” Kill said.

On offense the Gophers have plenty of sorting out to do, too, but Kill is encouraged by the weight training program and many of his linemen have added 20 pounds each. Junior Ed Olson, for example, has increased his weight from 290 to 310.

Asked if the Gophers may finally have a difference maker at running back, the coach mentioned junior college transfer James Gillum and freshman Rodrick Williams, describing both as physical runners. “James Gillum’s got a chance. You don’t bring a kid in (from junior college) unless you think he can play. …He’s here (enrolled) already. ”

Williams will arrive in the summer. “Iowa recruited him hard,” Kill said describing Williams as a “strong downhill runner” similar to Hawkeye Marcus Coker.”

There’s quiet anticipation that facing a so-so nonconference schedule the Gophers could win three or four games, then add a couple wins in the Big Ten Conference to finish with a 6-6 record and qualify for the school’s first bowl game since 2009. If so, it seems almost certain the athletically gifted but sometimes challenged senior quarterback MarQueis Gray must save his last season for his best.

Gray led the Gophers to Big Ten wins over Iowa and Illinois. He played some of his best football in the season ending 27-7 Illinois victory. He will never be a Sunday quarterback but if he can avoid too many interceptions and other mistakes, his leadership and running could help the Gophers steal an extra win or two.

“The whole thing about him is, is that it’s really up to him,” Kill said. “Right now he’s bigger and faster than he was. Spring’s gonna be really important for him. He’s gotta leave off where he left at Illinoisand keep building.”

Whatever the Gophers record in 2012, this will be only Kill’s second season as coach. “We’re far from finishing this thing,” he said. “This is an overhaul situation here. Hopefully we’ll move it forward. I don’t know about wins and losses. I know we’re different (than last year). I feel like athletically we’re getting better. We’re certainly not Ohio State, or anything, by any means.”

Fans can come to all spring practices and make their own judgments about the team. They can also attend the April 21 spring game starting at 11 a.m. at TCF Bank Stadium.

Go Gophers!!

It makes sense that DT is a position of concern. Any position where you lose two senior starters is going to be a question mark. Luckily for us, Claeys played Hageman and Botticelli quite a bit last season.

It's a little weird because I think that if Hageman can play consistantly (big if), he might end up being the best player on our entire defense and an improvement over anyone that has played DT since...Schlect? (I'm sure I forgot a good DT). It'll be interesting to see what we have at that position. It's impossible to count on JuCo's and FR, so it could be a little scary.

On a side note, anyone heard anything on Austin Hahn? He was getting PT, some starts a couple years ago and played ok and then I don't remember him getting any PT last year.

I see that the T word is back: "Kill said the 6-1, 295-pound Johnson will come in as a “tremendous” junior college player."

Dislike this comment: "He will never be a Sunday quarterback..." Can't already count the kid out.

I thought that I heard Hahn was injured last year. Eric Jacques also got quite a few reps and should be in the rotation. If Hageman can play like he did in the Illinois game throughout the season, we should be ok. We need Botticelli to gain about 30+ lbs. in the S&C program, every time I watched him run onto the field he looked about the same size as Nate Triplett.

It makes sense that DT is a position of concern. Any position where you lose two senior starters is going to be a question mark. Luckily for us, Claeys played Hageman and Botticelli quite a bit last season.

It's a little weird because I think that if Hageman can play consistantly (big if), he might end up being the best player on our entire defense and an improvement over anyone that has played DT since...Schlect? (I'm sure I forgot a good DT). It'll be interesting to see what we have at that position. It's impossible to count on JuCo's and FR, so it could be a little scary.

On a side note, anyone heard anything on Austin Hahn? He was getting PT, some starts a couple years ago and played ok and then I don't remember him getting any PT last year.

Anthony Montgomery was a solid DT who went on to the NFL, but I agree that Schlecht was probably the last truly dominant one the team had.

In case you were wondering, by the way, Schlecht has continued to use the weight room:
john%u00252Bschlecht.jpg

Anthony Montgomery was a solid DT who went on to the NFL, but I agree that Schlecht was probably the last truly dominant one the team had.

In case you were wondering, by the way, Schlecht has continued to use the weight room:
View attachment 1465

Yeah, Montgomery was good, I forgot about him.

I've heard that about Schlecht, I heard somewhere he was like Mr. Minnesota.

There aren't many 6ft7/6ft8 DT's around...Those who are that height and can move fast have a shot at the next level...I wonder if they will use Shede at DE as well. Should be interesting to see what happens...If he can turn out like anything this guy or even be half as good, the Gophers will be in good shape.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/cavaliers-journal/post/why-matt-conrath-was-moved-to-dt-how-he-projects-as-an-nfl-prospect/2011/10/21/gIQADWAV3L_blog.html

We stole Schlect from SCSU. I wonder if that was his idea or ours. You'd think it would
happen more often if a kid is really good. There must be some kind of unwritten
rule about tampering (or written for all I know).

Dislike this comment: "He will never be a Sunday quarterback..." Can't already count the kid out.

Just to clarify, that was a Shama comment, not a Kill comment. I'm sure you knew that but I had to double check. I think we all know he won't be an NFL QB, so I have no problem with a reporter drawing that conclusion. He will be a heck of a receiving option though, I believe.

We stole Schlect from SCSU. I wonder if that was his idea or ours. You'd think it would
happen more often if a kid is really good. There must be some kind of unwritten
rule about tampering (or written for all I know).

You see it more than you'd think, it often doesn't turn out quite as well as it did with Schlect.

Kyle Henderson was at Mankato.
Cole Banham was at Mankato.
Matt Kloss was at Northern State
Derek Engel was at Winona State
Connor Cosgrove was at SCSU

There aren't many 6ft7/6ft8 DT's around...Those who are that height and can move fast have a shot at the next level...I wonder if they will use Shede at DE as well. Should be interesting to see what happens...If he can turn out like anything this guy or even be half as good, the Gophers will be in good shape.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/cavaliers-journal/post/why-matt-conrath-was-moved-to-dt-how-he-projects-as-an-nfl-prospect/2011/10/21/gIQADWAV3L_blog.html

I could be wrong, but I really think Hageman will stay at DT and that is his best position. He would probably make a decent 3-4 DE. Especially considering our lack of depth at DT, I can't really imagine a lot of scenarios where it would make a ton of sense to move Hageman outside. Like I said though, I could certainly be wrong.

I think Coach Kill is more worried abought lack of experience, then lack of talent, at DT. I believe that in Claeys system you need four DTs and a fifth reserve. Hageman, Botticelli, and Jacques, can be penciled in. Hahn or Delaney might work, but are more likely to fill the reserve roll, that's where Johnson fits in, he fills the fourth position.

Just to clarify, that was a Shama comment, not a Kill comment. I'm sure you knew that but I had to double check. I think we all know he won't be an NFL QB, so I have no problem with a reporter drawing that conclusion. He will be a heck of a receiving option though, I believe.

No I understand and his best chances are probably at another position. I just feel like it's a pointless comment and adds nothing to the article besides an even more negative spin on his abilities.

In my opinion this was an absolutely BS comment. He played almost no quarterback for four years, he was injured as an HS senior. What he had after that was a sit out year and two years on the Brewster merry-go-round.

Last year he showed great athleticism and leadership. This year he and his receivers may actually know where they are supposed to be. If so, his accuracy could skyrocket and following a great spring and a blow out of UNLV, we may begin to hear Heisman talk! Well, you might not want to take that to the window when in Vegas. But if he continues the improvement he showed the end of last year, and if Cam Newton continues his performance in the NFL, there will be interest in this new "prototype" QB.

Joe Webb had about the same kind of season as a junior as Gray did last year. And that was against weaker competition. I agree that Gray's future is probably at WR, but if he can have a senior season like Joe Webb did, whomever drafts him might give him a chance to play QB to start with.

I agree, this a cheap shot at Q. It is the writers comment, but the way it is thrown in with the coaches quotes it almost implies that Kill said it.

Top Bottom