Shaka Smart to Marquette

He recruited him and he took an official visit to Austin. Relationship is there.
He also has a relationship with Ben too though. He chose Marquette because of Stan Johnson. I don't think it's a done deal or likely yet., but I could be wrong.

I get the soft landing sentiment but isn't Marquette technically a better basketball program than Texas?
Meh. Pretty even depending on the individual I’d say.
I’d have been more excited by smart

I get the soft landing sentiment but isn't Marquette technically a better basketball program than Texas?
Texas has had a better last 20 years. They are similar, but Smart has many Midwest ties.

Texas has had a better last 20 years. They are similar, but Smart has many Midwest ties.
Yeah you are right. I actually wiki'd the two programs, incredibly close to even historically.

He recruited him and he took an official visit to Austin. Relationship is there.
Ya never know, maybe garcia wants to come home and play for a coach other than Pitino. He said no to smart before so who knows. He's also not in the portal so right now smart is his coach.

He also has a relationship with Ben too though. He chose Marquette because of Stan Johnson. I don't think it's a done deal or likely yet., but I could be wrong.

Far from done.

Far better chance than if Moser was hired tho. Dawson and basically that whole roster leave 100%.

Far from done.

Far better chance than if Moser was hired tho. Dawson and basically that whole roster leave 100%.

I agree. I think this helps Marquettes chances to keep Dawson, but we will just have to see. Shaka is a cool dude, but I honestly think he's super underwhelming as a coach. Good recruiter and works hard, but teams don't generally achieve a whole lot. Hopefully Ben gets a chance to sell his background and how he would use him.

What's interesting is Shaka has done basically nothing at Texas, way under performing so far.
He had his best two seasons the last two with 3rd place in B12 and NCAA tournament, but seat was hot. He found a way to get a equal job and opportunity to be back in the Midwest. Now at a basketball school. 4 NCAA tournaments in 6 years at Texas. He just didn't win a tournament game.

I agree. I think this helps Marquettes chances to keep Dawson, but we will just have to see. Shaka is a cool dude, but I honestly think he's super underwhelming as a coach. Good recruiter and works hard, but teams don't generally achieve a whole lot. Hopefully Ben gets a chance to sell his background and how he would use him.

Yeah, this move has been in the works for a little bit, and I do think a main reason why no player entered the portal this past week since Wojo got gassed is because they knew this was coming. Now it comes down to if he sells them.

As for Shaka, he clearly underperformed at Texas. But his defenses stayed strong with his recruiting. I think hes set up well to bounce back. He's certainly got a lot to prove though.

Shaka will do good at Marquette. He's just not a very good power 5 coach, although he never ran the same system that he ran at VCU, he opted to run a slow half court system at Texas.

Texas is apparently Beards dream job, so we'll see if they can get him. I have a feeling they can.

Will be curioua to see what he gets paid in relation to BJ. If amounts are similar (i assume Shaka will be substantially more) it will be an indicator of how U is perceived. Hope BJ gets some recruiting wins early and NCAA bids ASAP otherwise Shaka will poach our talemt.

Lmao we had no chance at Muss. I'm hearing Muss is about get paid over 5.2 mill a year in a new contract extension.
The odds were remote and once they made the Sweet 16 it was done. But maybe if Colgate had pulled it off there was a small chance.

Will be curioua to see what he gets paid in relation to BJ. If amounts are similar (i assume Shaka will be substantially more) it will be an indicator of how U is perceived. Hope BJ gets some recruiting wins early and NCAA bids ASAP otherwise Shaka will poach our talemt.
Given that Shaka lost Saturday night and we had all but hired Ben by Sunday, I'm assuming he was never considered/contacted.

Shaka will do good at Marquette. He's just not a very good power 5 coach, although he never ran the same system that he ran at VCU, he opted to run a slow half court system at Texas.

Texas is apparently Beards dream job, so we'll see if they can get him. I have a feeling they can.
Is there a substantive difference between the Big East and the Power 5 conferences?

...otherwise Shaka will poach our talemt.
He already has. Jericho Sims is at Texas.

Everyone wants to poach our talent, and we want to poach everyone else's talent. Not every kid wants to stay in state, and I don't care what state you pick, MOST of the highly rated kids from all over the country leave their home state.

Lmao we had no chance at Muss. I'm hearing Muss is about get paid over 5.2 mill a year in a new contract extension.
Is it legal for an SEC school other than Kentucky to pay the basketball coach more than the football coach?

Is there a substantive difference between the Big East and the Power 5 conferences?

A Big East team in some ways has advantages. Without football (or big time football) the basketball teams are the crown jewel of the athletic departments and are the focal point for financial resources/donations.

Interesting, Smart has been around for more than a decade and is still only 43 years old. Never has won a Conference Regular Season title.

Last edited:

I think he’ll do very well at Marquette. Shaka and Texas always seemed like an awkward fit to me. Moving to an easier conference right near home is a good career choice for him.

Top Bottom