Seven Years of the Row the Boat Culture

This is the Fleckiest, PJ Fleck has ever Flecked.

I honestly thought it was a parody by someone. I couldn't believe a Big Ten University Athletic Department actually turned into a shill for a specific individual, instead of the institution/program.

Why would you include his WMU stats? Why?

I just don't get it, but they don't sell that kool-aid here.

I know two people who were recruited by Bo Ryan at UW. During the recruitment they got plenty of recruiting materials about Bo himself, including mentions of Bo's national titles at UW-P, and that was D3. I'm sure you ripped on Bo and UW for this very thing. I'll wait for you to provide the link of your criticism.

Go Gophers!!

Yeah, what a lame poster below. Paul Chryst isn't even MENTIONED, let alone his slogan - which is, by the way, "On, Wisconsin."

What the hell is Wisconsin gonna use to promote Mumble's Chryst's history. A .500 record at Pitt and some coordinator jobs?

Last edited:

Good point. I’d expand the history and add Tim Brewster’s national title at Texas to our history. Oh wait, I recall people here making fun of him for portraying himself as a head coach with a national title victory....

If you’re a Badger fan looking at that tweet wouldn’t you laugh your ass off? How sad is it that we have to use a MAC school’s accomplishments?

PJ Fleck is simply showing his resume on what he has done. If you don't like facts that's fine. I'm not sure what else you would have them put on a graphic/marketing material? Maybe something about how we have sucked ass for the last 10 years? That would actually probably garner more interest, good call.

You also said "the U is taking credit for a MAC schools accomplishments." You realize PJ Fleck is essentially the CEO of Gopher football right? Recruits will be coming here for him and his staffs ability to be successful, not because they just like the school colors or the location the strong majority of the time. Have you not seen everyone say that kids should focus on their relationship with the coaches recruiting them?

Maybe you should go read the hoops board where all of the talk is about building a brand. What else would you have him do? I honestly have no idea how its this hard for you to see what he is trying to do. The guy has had success in historically unsuccessful places, should we just ignore that?

PJ Fleck is simply showing his resume on what he has done. If you don't like facts that's fine. I'm not sure what else you would have them put on a graphic/marketing material? Maybe something about how we have sucked ass for the last 10 years? That would actually probably garner more interest, good call.

You also said "the U is taking credit for a MAC schools accomplishments." You realize PJ Fleck is essentially the CEO of Gopher football right? Recruits will be coming here for him and his staffs ability to be successful, not because they just like the school colors or the location the strong majority of the time. Have you not seen everyone say that kids should focus on their relationship with the coaches recruiting them?

Maybe you should go read the hoops board where all of the talk is about building a brand. What else would you have him do?
Except on a resume, you list accomplishments under the heading of the job those accomplishments related to. Additionally, your current employer wouldn’t usually compile accomplishments from a previous stop and pretend like they occurred in their shop.

Except on a resume, you list accomplishments under the heading of the job those accomplishments related to. Additionally, your current employer wouldn’t usually compile accomplishments from a previous stop and pretend like they occurred in their shop.

Its factual information on what PJ has accomplished, and he runs our program now so I really don't have a problem with him highlighting success, I guess we differ on that.

Way to pick one point and get stuck on one word in the post, resume. Everyone knows that he has been a coach for awhile, no where does it explicitly state this happened at the U of M, I wouldn't even say that it is implied, but I can see how someone who is not able to see the whole picture would feel that way. Simply showing what he has done in 7 years as a HC. You can call it a resume or his history whatever you want, doesn't make it any different what we are referring to.

What the hell is Wisconsin gonna use to promote Mumble's Chryst's history. A .500 record at Pitt and some coordinator jobs?

Probably just the history, record, and trophies at the school is recruiting for.

I know two people who were recruited by Bo Ryan at UW. During the recruitment they got plenty of recruiting materials about Bo himself, including mentions of Bo's national titles at UW-P, and that was D3. I'm sure you ripped on Bo and UW for this very thing. I'll wait for you to provide the link of your criticism.

Go Gophers!!

And, as you state, the recruits knew those accomplishments were at UW-P. Keep drinking the Kool-aid.

What the hell is Wisconsin gonna use to promote Mumble's Chryst's history, a .500 record at Pitt and some coordinator jobs?

Chryst's record as UW head coach is 52-14, which is kind of good. He's 4-0 in bowl games as our head coach, and two of those were the Cotton Bowl and Orange Bowl. He's put quite a few players in the NFL. Like players who have had actual playing time. If PJ wants to brag up Gameday or 10-win seasons, Chryst can do PJ better on that, too. As for being a coordinator, Chryst was only the OC of one of college football's most prolific offenses ever. There are still players from those years in the NFL.

I know Chryst is boring and low-key, but his actual results at Wisconsin are definitely poster-worthy.

The U Athletic Department can publish what it wants. I don't think stuff like that influences recruits, and I don't see why Minnesota needs to cheapen itself to include MAC stats for crying out loud.

10-2 record and division co-champs. We BEAT PSU! Sell this season, not PJ's history with another school.

And, as you state, the recruits knew those accomplishments were at UW-P. Keep drinking the Kool-aid.

I merely asked you a question. I didn't come to your house and take pot shots at you. Nor did I criticize you in our house. Honestly, what is your deal?

Go Gophers!!

I merely asked you a question. I didn't come to your house and take pot shots at you. Nor did I criticize you in our house. Honestly, what is your deal?

Go Gophers!!

Sconny fans are getting nervous. Kinda funny how the trolling has picked up dramatically.

Chryst's record as UW head coach is 52-14, which is kind of good. He's 4-0 in bowl games as our head coach, and two of those were the Cotton Bowl and Orange Bowl. He's put quite a few players in the NFL. Like players who have had actual playing time. If PJ wants to brag up Gameday or 10-win seasons, Chryst can do PJ better on that, too. As for being a coordinator, Chryst was only the OC of one of college football's most prolific offenses ever. There are still players from those years in the NFL.

I know Chryst is boring and low-key, but his actual results at Wisconsin are definitely poster-worthy.

Mumbles Chryst is the perfect King Barry "yes man" puppet. Bielema and Andersen were their own men and had to leave (to their win-loss record detriment) while Mumbles Chryst will probably stick for a while.

Mumbles Chryst is the perfect King Barry "yes man" puppet. Bielema and Andersen were their own men and had to leave (to their win-loss record detriment) while Mumbles Chryst will probably stick for a while.
Lol.

You do understand that Chryst's AVERAGE annual wins at UW equal your BEST win total in the last 100 years?

(Which you've accomplished...wait, let me add them all up...ok...twice)

I suspect Barry has learned and sort of stepped back a bit more with Chryst.

He got his guy Wisc guy and is happy to not do the thing anymore / smart enough to know he maybe can't himself.

Barry straight up said this was the last coach he was going to hire at Wisconsin.

You figure out what the change was yet?
I ignored your first request to save the board from going down this road. Do you really want to debate this topic? You do know the story on how RTB started, right? It is a fantastic story and pays respect to a lost child and how a family can deal with such tragedy. RTB is now a marketing slogan used by a football team that is playing a game. Please, continue on how it hasn't changed and keep pushing for how.

Lol.

You do understand that Chryst's AVERAGE annual wins at UW equal your BEST win total in the last 100 years?

(Which you've accomplished...wait, let me add them all up...ok...twice)

If you're so confident in your guy, why are you here trolling? Seems like some nervousness and doubt about the future of your program are creeping into your Sconny brains.

Look - I hate Wisconsin as much as the next guy, but you are way off base. It seems your biggest (and only legitimate) gripe with Chryst is that he doesn't have a dynamic personality. Well, PJ does have him there - for whatever that is worth.

If you're so confident in your guy, why are you here trolling? Seems like some nervousness and doubt about the future of your program are creeping into your Sconny brains.
Cuz I think it is hilarious (and sad) that the U of M is merging stats with a MAC school and calling them your own.

Will you keep using Peej's stats if he leaves the program? Maybe add the next school too?

Still waiting to see who those 39 NFL players are. LOL!

Look - I hate Wisconsin as much as the next guy, but you are way off base. It seems your biggest (and only legitimate) gripe with Chryst is that he doesn't have a dynamic personality. Well, PJ does have him there - for whatever that is worth.

Nah. My only gripe is with trolling Sconny fans who are getting nervous. I suppose I should get used to it - they didn't used to visit this board except on rare occurrences. Now there's scores of them. It's kind of satisfying in a weird way.

Bill Parcells, Rick Pitino, Urban Meyer,Nick Saban, Pat Reilly all looked at as top coaches not just based on the job they did at one place, but based on being successful with more than one program. PJ's not in that stratosphere yet, but coaching looks more like skill and less like luck when you can repeat your success. I have no problem with the marketing department pointing out that many of these are repeat successes as a means to sell the program to future recruits and fans that PJ is the real deal.

Bill Parcells, Rick Pitino, Urban Meyer,Nick Saban, Pat Reilly all looked at as top coaches not just based on the job they did at one place, but based on being successful with more than one program. PJ's not in that stratosphere yet, but coaching looks more like skill and less like luck when you can repeat your success. I have no problem with the marketing department pointing out that many of these are repeat successes as a means to sell the program to future recruits and fans that PJ is the real deal.
Yeah if we brought in Nick Saban I think we'd mention some things that didn't happen here.

Nah. My only gripe is with trolling Sconny fans who are getting nervous. I suppose I should get used to it - they didn't used to visit this board except on rare occurrences. Now there's scores of them. It's kind of satisfying in a weird way.
I can't decide which annual posts are my favorite, the "Fadger fans are scared" every time we win more than 8, or the "Vadgers are in decline" every time they win fewer than 10.

FTR - there seems to be just about as many "Badger Trolls" in this thread as there are Gopher Fans defending this Ad. About 2 each.

After the year's matchup, pretty sure they're not getting nervous. My advice...let's earn the fan swagger first, and then act like we've been there before.

Go Gophers!!

My deal is that I think it is beneath the dignity of a Big Ten team.

Our teams/institutions should be bigger than any one individual and marketing this Cult of Personality reflects poorly on the conference. We are not the MAC, we are the Big Ten.

So, yes, that's "my deal."

Top Bottom