Senior Bowl, NFL to hold combine for top HBCU prospects

This whole thing completely smells, and is idiotic. It's the definition of a discriminatory practice. Why should DI-FCS and DII athletes in HBCU's get a NFL combine opportunity when they don't earn one to the real combine? This almost seems to suggest that HBCU players that are good enough, are discriminated against when they should get NFL combineSR invites. And that simply is not true. Yes, its easier for FBS G5 and P5 players to get invites than FCS-DII-DIII players with equal talent, but that's just the way it is. HBCU's arent at the receiving end of that, all lower levels are, and it has nothing to do with the color of anyone's skin.

If they are going to have a CombineJR, then all conferences should have access to it, not just HBCUs. Heck, B1G players that don't get a combineSR invite should have access to it.

If the HBCU's want to do something, then it should be a group Pro-Day bring out NFL GMs, but not an NFL led and sponsored combine, that's just not right. There is no Equality in this discriminatory practice.
Let us all take time to remember that the University of Minnesota has allowed players from DIII and DII schools such as NDSU participate in their pro days in the past.

I've protested with Black Lives Matter, supported them, and so forth. Without hearing arguments either way. I'm against this setup. Thinking I'm missing something here, but I can't figure it out.
If you want to go to a school where you won't experience discrimination so that you develop into a confident man, you can go to a HBCU but as a football player you might not get the exposure you need to get to the NFL. Clearly the NFL has seen enough good players be overlooked and is creating this so that doesn't happen. Don't forget, white folks can go to HCBUs too so this isn't a special thing for Blacks....it's for all HCBU students.

Last edited:

Holding a tryout for the NFL where only one race is allowed to participate?
White people are allowed to go to HCBUs. If they chose to, they could participate. If white guys choose not to go to HCBUs maybe it's because they know how much it sucks to be in the minority???

You bring up good points CoMn. Help me out though. Wouldn't you think that the NFL scouts would know a HCBU school has a good player to be looking at? There are plenty of small schools that have player's drafted as they stand out.

You clearly hit it on the nail that white people don't like to be in the minority around a group of black people. Racism at it finest.

You bring up good points CoMn. Help me out though. Wouldn't you think that the NFL scouts would know a HCBU school has a good player to be looking at? There are plenty of small schools that have player's drafted as they stand out.

You clearly hit it on the nail that white people don't like to be in the minority around a group of black people. Racism at it finest.
There are 5300 colleges and universities in the country. People fall through the cracks. I didn't say white people don't like to be in the minority. I said nothing definitive about why certain people generally don't attend HCBUs. As far as my saying it sucks to be in the minority that's just from personal experience.

Maybe you missed the post where I apologized for being wrong? Or did you miss it in your eagerness to respond to me?
Why yes I did. It wasn't eagerness, it was a response to a post that I knew was false.

White people are allowed to go to HCBUs. If they chose to, they could participate. If white guys choose not to go to HCBUs maybe it's because they know how much it sucks to be in the minority???
Just a thought - when you come into a thread that's been going on for a while now, maybe read all the posts before participating? I apologized for this almost immediately.

What's the over/under on how many more people are going to read my first post, get all worked up thinking I'm MplsGopher, and respond in haste? I bet it happens at least once more.

Let us all take time to remember that the University of Minnesota has allowed players from DIII and DII schools such as NDSU participate in their pro days in the past.
Yeah most of the misc pro days everywhere are ad hoc sort of things.

It's not like there's a big pro day regulation system here and someone by holding another has changed the rules.

Even this one is said to include a bunch of other conferences ...

Most of this is just about timing and location convenience.

Clearly the NFL has seen enough good players be overlooked and is creating this so that doesn't happen.
Not trying to argue, but how would the NFL have any way to quantify this? Have you seen a bunch of players from HBCUs not get drafted and then go on the stardom in the CFL? Otherwise, this is just an assumption on your part, so probably not accurate to start with "Clearly". I agree with Herd, this is more likely a PR move.

Your assumption is just as racist. If you were to say "some" white people then you might have a chance at being accurate.

It would be great if HCBU’s could rise up in football, with help like this. Near the top of FCS would be ideal for them.

Your assumption is just as racist. If you were to say "some" white people then you might have a chance at being accurate.
You are correct MplsGopher_fan I should have said "some." That is a key word. I'm just getting fed up with the idiot behavior that occurs in some peoples mind. I shouldn't have put everyone in the same category. Thanks for pointing that out.

Top Bottom