Senior Bowl, NFL to hold combine for top HBCU prospects

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
Cool more equity.

The Senior Bowl and the NFL will hold a pre-draft combine for top prospects from Historically Black College and Universities next January.

The inaugural HBCU combine, scheduled for Jan. 28-29 in 2022, will be similar to the NFL combine with interviews and on-field and medical evaluations.

It will be held at the University of South Alabama and feature select players from four HBCU conferences — the Southwestern Athletic Conference, the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference, the Southern Intercollegiate Athletic Conference and the Central Intercollegiate Athletic Conference — and other HBCU institutions.

The first scheduled HBCU combine was postponed because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

An HBCU Scouting Committee, comprised of current and former league executives, will evaluate and select the participants. The Senior Bowl will provide medical and football personnel to collect pre-draft information.

The game is scheduled for Feb. 5, 2022.

"Over the years, the Senior Bowl has served as a showcase for some of the top Black college football players in America, including seven of our game's 56 future members of the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and this event will help many more HBCU players secure further attention and exposure from all 32 teams," said Jim Nagy, the game's executive director.

No HBCU players were drafted in 2021, and the only one picked in 2020 went in the seventh round. Alabama State offensive lineman Tytus Howard was a first-round pick by the Houston Texans in 2019 after participating in the Senior Bowl.

"Throughout NFL history, HBCU athletes have exemplified a standard of excellence both on and off the field," said Troy Vincent, the NFL's Executive Vice President of Football Operations. "The HBCU Combine is part of honoring that legacy and making every effort to accelerate exposure of HBCU draft prospects to all NFL clubs. The game is better when all have the opportunity to compete."

I've protested with Black Lives Matter, supported them, and so forth. Without hearing arguments either way. I'm against this setup. Thinking I'm missing something here, but I can't figure it out.

I've protested with Black Lives Matter, supported them, and so forth. Without hearing arguments either way. I'm against this setup. Thinking I'm missing something here, but I can't figure it out.
Well... I'll ask, what's the problem?

Well clearly African-Americans are an under-represented minority group in the NFL and now will get the chance to break the barrier and showcase their skills so they may participate in a sport that's practically exclusive to white males. Bravo!

It's a good thing that's not what this is ...

Click the link do some googling, something man.
"The HBCU Combine is part of honoring that legacy and making every effort to accelerate exposure of HBCU draft prospects to all NFL clubs. The game is better when all have the opportunity to compete."

Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't HBCU students African-American? If I missed, why not explain it to me?

"The HBCU Combine is part of honoring that legacy and making every effort to accelerate exposure of HBCU draft prospects to all NFL clubs. The game is better when all have the opportunity to compete."

Maybe I'm wrong, but aren't HBCU students African-American? If I missed, why not explain it to me?
Not even close - try using your Google machine and doing your own research or you continue to make unfounded assumptions.

Last edited:

Yes, you're wrong.

Yes, you're wrong.
Turns out I am. Looks like only about 10-15% of enrollment is African-American. Now couldn't you have gotten me to this point without the insults? I guess maybe my assumptions might have touched a nerve, although my first post on this was an attempt at humor, but maybe that set someone off.

Anways, I learned something.

Not even close - try using your Google machine and doing your own research or you continue to make unfounded assumptions.
Sorry man, but assumptions are a part of life. Do you think every poster has the time to fact-check everything before making a comment?

Anyways, I was wrong and admitted it. But what's with the culture on this board? Someone says something wrong and instead of helpfully correcting them/educating them, it's just always insults like "have you heard of google" or "read a book sometime" or crap like that. No wonder this place is so hostile.

Reactions: ZPI

Now if the NFL can do this with the Historically Mexican and Historically Indian (not american) colleges, we good to go.

Turns out I am. Looks like only about 10-15% of enrollment is African-American. Now couldn't you have gotten me to this point without the insults? I guess maybe my assumptions might have touched a nerve, although my first post on this was an attempt at humor, but maybe that set someone off.

Anways, I learned something.
Well I said you should try and google it and you finally did.

There ya go.

If that's an insult, don't know what to tell you about that. I'm sorry you felt bad about your ignorance I guess? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I didn't find it insulting, you just could have corrected me right away...I dunno, maybe I'm too sensitive on here lol. I just don't wanna get into disagreements and such. I love talking football.

Sorry man, but assumptions are a part of life. Do you think every poster has the time to fact-check everything before making a comment?

Anyways, I was wrong and admitted it. But what's with the culture on this board? Someone says something wrong and instead of helpfully correcting them/educating them, it's just always insults like "have you heard of google" or "read a book sometime" or crap like that. No wonder this place is so hostile.
Yes, you did admit you were wrong, so that puts you ahead of about 80% of the posters on here.

RE: The Culture
There is nothing wrong with it if you consider the majority of posters on here are ~middle aged males (former athletes??) whose avocation is to come on a free chatboard and portend that they are experts on college sports (especially basketball & football) and also politics and societal issues for the OTB inclined (trust me, this fits me to a T+ as well). If you were hoping for a Gopher version of Algonquin Round Table, I think you need to lower your expectations to more of a Cliff Clavin salon level of discourse.

The fact that you were choused in this thread a bit means you are earning some respect as a newbie - somebody's gotta carry the tackling dummies!

Well... I'll ask, what's the problem?
Perhaps I'm incorrect big time. I just felt that if you were good enough to play in the NFL you're going to play (minus Colin Kirkpatrick as he is clearly getting a raw deal). However when it comes to coaching, blacks are having a hard time getting into the coaching ranks. I find it strange though that they are considered smart enough to make decisions as an assistant, motivate their players etc., but not good enough to be a head coach. I realize that their is a shortage of assistant coaches as well. Don't the white head coaches have any black friends in the coaching ranks? That makes no sense in my opinion.

Last edited:

Yes, you did admit you were wrong, so that puts you ahead of about 80% of the posters on here.

RE: The Culture
There is nothing wrong with it if you consider the majority of posters on here are ~middle aged males (former athletes??) whose avocation is to come on a free chatboard and portend that they are experts on college sports (especially basketball & football) and also politics and societal issues for the OTB inclined (trust me, this fits me to a T+ as well). If you were hoping for a Gopher version of Algonquin Round Table, I think you need to lower your expectations to more of a Cliff Clavin salon level of discourse.

The fact that you were choused in this thread a bit means you are earning some respect as a newbie - somebody's gotta carry the tackling dummies!
This is all pretty funny stuff, I'm not poking fun, I generally laughed while reading it, mainly the bolded. Kudos. I like to think I'm an expert of college football : - ) but I never played football.

Perhaps I'm incorrect big time. I just felt that if you were good enough to play in the NFL you're going to play (minus Colin Kirkpatrick as he is clearly getting a raw deal). However when it comes to coaching, blacks are having a hard time getting into the coaching ranks. I find it strange though that they are considered smart enough to make decisions as an assistance, motivate their players etc., but not good enough to be a head coach. I realize that their is a shortage of assistant coaches as well. Don't the white head coaches have any black friends in the coaching ranks? That makes no sense in my opinion.
Stupid autocorrrect! But I get what you're saying. One of my best friends is black and we were talking about the coaching thing on Sunday, how white guys who have been coaching forever keep getting recycled and it's hard to break in. It would be interesting to see a study on the success rate, I mean, Dungy and Tomlin should have alleviated any thoughts about how successful you can be with a black coach. But Belicheck got a 2nd chance...have any black head coaches failed and been given another opportunity later? Serious question, hope my tone isn't wrong. And I know I could google, but I'm at work and just thinking of the top of my head. Romeo Crennel was a failed disciple of Belicheck and didn't get a second chance. Josh McDaniels was a failed disciple of Belicheck and Indy was happy to give him a second chance before he backed out.

As of 2015, 78% of students at HBCUs were black.

This is all pretty funny stuff, I'm not poking fun, I generally laughed while reading it, mainly the bolded. Kudos. I like to think I'm an expert of college football : - ) but I never played football.
Thanks for taking it the spirit it was intended and it sounds like you're a welcomed addition to this band of occasional merry Gopher Gents.

As of 2015, 78% of students at HBCUs were black.
They are inviting student athletes to the HBCU combine, not students. It will be interesting to compare the % of white student athletes to the % of white invites to the combine. Hopefully they meet their quota, and don’t discriminate.

They are inviting student athletes to the HBCU combine, not students. It will be interesting to compare the % of white student athletes to the % of white invites to the combine. Hopefully they meet their quota, and don’t discriminate.
I think the percentage of African American players on hbcu rosters is much higher than 78 percent. Much closer to 100 percent.

Confused by allowing for a combine where only people from hbcu schools can participate. Why not have a combine for fcs, d2,d3, NAIA instead. Let's give all the small school guys an opportunity and not create a combine for schools because their predominantly African american and not let others compete.

It is a PR move in an era where that is all that really matters. If a guy can play, not one team, not one scout cares that he plays at an HBCU or at Alabama. The HBCU guys with NFL potential will continue to be invited to the main combine. The guys at this combine, will get to be in a commercial touting how inclusive the NFL is.

This whole thing completely smells, and is idiotic. It's the definition of a discriminatory practice. Why should DI-FCS and DII athletes in HBCU's get a NFL combine opportunity when they don't earn one to the real combine? This almost seems to suggest that HBCU players that are good enough, are discriminated against when they should get NFL combineSR invites. And that simply is not true. Yes, its easier for FBS G5 and P5 players to get invites than FCS-DII-DIII players with equal talent, but that's just the way it is. HBCU's arent at the receiving end of that, all lower levels are, and it has nothing to do with the color of anyone's skin.

If they are going to have a CombineJR, then all conferences should have access to it, not just HBCUs. Heck, B1G players that don't get a combineSR invite should have access to it.

If the HBCU's want to do something, then it should be a group Pro-Day bring out NFL GMs, but not an NFL led and sponsored combine, that's just not right. There is no Equality in this discriminatory practice.

Last edited:

This whole thing completely smells, and is idiotic. It's the definition of a discriminatory practice. Why should DI-FCS and DII athletes in HBCU's get a NFL combine opportunity when they don't earn one to the real combine? This almost seems to suggest that HBCU players that are good enough, are discriminated against when they should get NFL combineSR invites. And that simply is not true. Yes, its easier for FBS G5 and P5 players to get invites than FCS-DII-DIII players with equal talent, but that's just the way it is. HBCU's arent at the receiving end of that, all lower levels are, and it has nothing to do with the color of anyone's skin.

If they are going to have a CombineJR, then all conferences should have access to it, not just HBCUs. Heck, B1G players that don't get a combineSR invite should have access to it.

If the HBCU's want to do something, then it should be a group Pro-Day bring out NFL GMs, but not an NFL led and sponsored combine, that's just not right. There is no Equality in this discriminatory practice.
Is this the HBCU's doing it, or the NFL? The NFL as a private organization could invite whoever they want, right? From what I can tell it's not the HBCU's or the government doing this, but a private entity.

I don't think African-American athletes are under-represented in the NFL though. It would make more sense if the NFL set up a program to encourage potential African-American players to become coaches. That's an area that NFL and NCAA can really improve upon in terms of equity.

I don't think African-American athletes are under-represented in the NFL though. It would make more sense if the NFL set up a program to encourage potential African-American players to become coaches. That's an area that NFL and NCAA can really improve upon in terms of equity.
The barrier for entry does seem high. How many times do existing coaches keep getting recycled? I think I pointed out Josh McDaniels as a good example. Failed once, back to New England, then was going to get a second chance with Indy. Then you've got Saban resurrecting coaching careers for failed coaches, etc. How long will Bill O'Brian be there before he gets another coordinator job?

Holding a tryout for the NFL where only one race is allowed to participate?
Not true.
20190829_neb_da9_115_38418825-e1573603837272.jpg
Just a couple of examples:

https://theundefeated.com/features/what-does-it-mean-that-the-best-hbcu-quarterback-is-white/

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports...0201126-bim7u6dwfnfzteovp2xonlgq3e-story.html

Top Bottom