Season Updates on Gophers Signees Alex Foster and Alvin Ellis

Chicago Sun Times: The City/Suburban Hoops Report takes a look at the updated Class of 2013 prospect rankings as we head into the stretch run of their senior season.

8. Alvin Ellis, 6-4, WF, Chicago (De La Salle)
A little special place in the Hoops Report's heart for sticking it out at the South Side private school when others bailed. He's flourished in what has been one of the real overlooked seasons by any individual player in this class. Athletic, long and makes plays with a still-improving jumper. He will prove to be a solid recruit for Minnesota.

18. Alex Foster, 6-7, PF, South Holland (Seton Academy)
Made the move to Seton this offseason and is now a few weeks away from challenging for a Class 2A state crown. Brings a body and frame to work with and an ability to move well at his size. Still at his best when he sticks his nose in there around the basket and battles, rebounds, competes.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/hoopsreport/2013/02/stretch_run_for_class_of_2013.html

Go Gophers!!

So MN has the #8 and #18 players out of Illinois? Must be a hotbed of talent. Where are these two ranked nationally in 2013? Are they top 150 guys or in that ballpark?

So MN has the #8 and #18 players out of Illinois? Must be a hotbed of talent. Where are these two ranked nationally in 2013? Are they top 150 guys or in that ballpark?

Royce White's they ain't, and that is a step forward.

Somebody on here reported a while back that Ellis is now rated the # 3 player in his class in Illinois. Considering that the # 1 player in the nation is from Chicago- #3 ain't bad. I like the report that Foster has potential as a good rebounder. That's going to be our area of need.

Somebody on here reported a while back that Ellis is now rated the # 3 player in his class in Illinois. Considering that the # 1 player in the nation is from Chicago- #3 ain't bad. I like the report that Foster has potential as a good rebounder. That's going to be our area of need.

Yeah the report was Jabari Parker at #1. #2 and #4 were Illinois commits and then Ellis was #3.

Personally, I am very excited about these guys. Think they have a great attitude and skills to bing to the team. Going to be fun to watch them play and develop.

In a game where there were five ties and 10 lead changes, Alex Foster's layup with an assist from Kamal Shasi put the Sting up 38-36 with 26.3 seconds left.

Hales (17-13) had one last chance, but E'mon Frison's potential game-winning 3-point attempt came up short at the buzzer.

Foster said this was a tough, hard-fought win by the Sting.

“That shot (by Frison) looked like it was going in," Foster said. I thought for sure it was, but it bounced off the rim and rolled out. I’m so glad it didn’t go in.”

Foster had Seton's final seven points and finshed with nine in a game where the biggest lead was four points, and that was when Hales opened the game with a 4-0 lead. His two free throws gave the Sting a 36-33 lead with 2:57 left, but Hales tied it when Calumet City resident and sophomore Dominic Christian drilled the Spartans' only 3-pointer with 1:17 left.

http://www.nwitimes.com/sports/high...cle_73bb92e8-f19a-5a3e-979c-be5322789ebd.html

Go Gophers!!

Ellis is a steal and will develop into a big time player!

Everything I have seen on him seems pretty good, hopfefully you are correct. Didn't Foster used to be one of the top players in his age group a few years ago? I thought I had read that somewhere?

Everything I have seen on him seems pretty good, hopfefully you are correct. Didn't Foster used to be one of the top players in his age group a few years ago? I thought I had read that somewhere?

Yea I believe he was top 50 but got hurt and never really impressed any of the recruiting sites enough to put him back in the rankings. Ellis has the best chance out of the two to make the final 100, but most likely he will be top 150.

Stanley Gaines 2! Hopefully he doesn't transfer like Gaines did.

Alvin Ellis named to the 2012-13 Sun-Times boys basketball All-Area team

"Alvin Ellis
De La Salle, 6-3 senior guard
Signed with Minnesota. Scored over 1,000 points in his career. Averaged 20 points, six rebounds, four assists and three steals as a senior. Scored over 25 points in nine games this season, including 33 against East St. Louis. Named Hinsdale South Holiday Tournament MVP. Helped a young Meteors team to 16-7 record against a rugged schedule."

http://seasonpass.suntimes.com/news_article/show/233215?referrer_id=599124

Go Gophers!!

This season, 6-8 center Alex Foster proved to be the barrier. Foster had 11 points, 11 rebounds and five blocks Wednesday during Seton's 46-45 victory against Providence-St. Mel in the Class 2A Joliet Central Supersectional.

Foster caused Providence-St. Mel guard Tevin King's driving shot in the lane with three seconds to fall short.

"I just knew I had to be aggressive because they didn't have much size," Foster said. "I didn't want to go home."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...super-joliet-central-20130305,0,1011706.story

Go Gophers!!

Foster's team plays some really low scoring games.

Well considering both of these guys are what, borderline top 150 players, it is safe to expect minimal contributions as freshman, and hopefully developing into 10 point per game players by the time they are seniors or so? I know it is possible to get a steal here and there, and I have been impressed with the stuff I have seen on Ellis, but these two players do not seem to be program saviors, or changers for that matter...

Well considering both of these guys are what, borderline top 150 players, it is safe to expect minimal contributions as freshman, and hopefully developing into 10 point per game players by the time they are seniors or so? I know it is possible to get a steal here and there, and I have been impressed with the stuff I have seen on Ellis, but these two players do not seem to be program saviors, or changers for that matter...

Not sure what everyone's definition of a savior or changer is. But, FYI, there were 16 players named to the BT All-Conference 1st, 2nd, and 3rd teams last year (included those named to AP or Coaches, that's why there is 16 instead of 15). Of the 16, six of them were rated 120th or worse, including three of the 1st teamers: Green (#122), Shurna (unranked), and Taylor (#124).

Not sure what everyone's definition of a savior or changer is. But, FYI, there were 16 players named to the BT All-Conference 1st, 2nd, and 3rd teams last year (included those named to AP or Coaches, that's why there is 16 instead of 15). Of the 16, six of them were rated 120th or worse, including three of the 1st teamers: Green (#122), Shurna (unranked), and Taylor (#124).

Good stat, I did not know that. So you're saying theres a chance...:)

I like them both. Problem is their recruitments will be opened up again when Tubby is fired. Ellis may actually be able to shoot and drive. That would make him unique for the Gophers.

I like them both. Problem is their recruitments will be opened up again when Tubby is fired. Ellis may actually be able to shoot and drive. That would make him unique for the Gophers.

They've both already signed letters of intent.

similar players

Looking at some tape on Foster he looks a bit like Andre Ingram. I am sure he will get bigger and I am sure his offense is farther along.

Ellis doesn't look that fast to me. Now he doesn't look slow like Welch, but looks a little like Charles Thomas. ESPN says developing as a 3pt shooter, I wish it said "dead eye shooter"!

They look like contributors. Foster should get minutes if we don't get Schilling, just for some rebounding at the 4. I hope Buggs puts on 20 lbs and can play some 4 because Oto hasn't gotten any time as lof late and who knows if he will be around.

Most reports say neither is extremely athletic. Good athletes, but noy elite. That might be a good thing for MN though...

They've both already signed letters of intent.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think there is a provision that allows a player to switch his commitment, even if an LOI has been signed, if there is a head coaching change.

It doesn't take a brain surgeon to play basketball. A lot of guys know how to play. I hope they both can simply put the ball in the basket.

Maybe I'm wrong but I think there is a provision that allows a player to switch his commitment, even if an LOI has been signed, if there is a head coaching change.

I believe the school has to release them from their LOI, don't quote me on that though.

Seton’s Alex Foster and Mark Weems, Jr. headlined the Class 2A All-State first team

2A first team

Name, School (Ht., Yr., Pos.) Total

Ethan Happ, Rockridge (6-7, Jr., F) 123

Tyler Smithpeters, Harrisburg (6-4, Sr., G) 106

Mark Weems, Jr., Seton (6-2, Sr., G) 87

Alex Foster, Seton (6-8, Sr., F) 87

Matt Reinke, Winnebago (6-4, Sr., G) 72

http://seasonpass.suntimes.com/news_article/show/236303?referrer_id=596370

Go Gophers!!

@collegebbnews: Alex Foster had seven points, nine rebounds, three assists and three blocked *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# in Seton Academy's semifinal win.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom