Season Updates on Gophers Signees Alex Foster and Alvin Ellis

Ellis tweeted that he was nominated for the McDonald's All-America game.

Sun-Times: Ellis stars in De La Salle win

Alvin Ellis had a game-high 27 points to lead the visiting De La Salle to a 63-55 Catholic League South victory over Providence on Friday.

De La Salle’s Alvin Ellis was almost unstoppable in the first two quarters Friday night against Providence, hitting jumpers, getting inside for layups and dropping in a couple of three-pointers.

The 6-foot-3 senior forward scored 18 of De La Salle’s 28 first-half points and finished with a game-high 27 points to lead the visiting Meteors to a 63-55 Catholic League South victory.

“I had a good warmup. I was just feeling it from the beginning,’’ Ellis said. “I just felt like nobody could come out there and stop me.’’

“There’s a reason he’s going to Minnesota,’’ Providence coach Tim Trendel said. “He’s one of the premier players in the league.’’

Ellis scored seven points in the fourth quarter, including a three-point play on a transition layup that gave De La Salle a 50-43 lead with 5 minutes, 17 seconds to play.

The Celtics fought back and made it 52-48 midway through the quarter before Ellis culminated a 6-0 run with another layup off transition to put De La Salle (13-6, 6-3) ahead 58-48 with 1:42 left.

“Alvin is just a son-of-a-gun as a player,’’ De La Salle coach Tom White said. “He goes offense, defense. He sees all these different defenses. He’s a monster.’’

http://seasonpass.suntimes.com/news_article/show/220974?referrer_id=596370

Go Gophers!!

It's really starting to feel like Tubby got another below the radar stud in Ellis. He has been having a tremendous senior year. Can't wait to see what he can do next year.

It's really starting to feel like Tubby got another below the radar stud in Ellis. He has been having a tremendous senior year. Can't wait to see what he can do next year.

I agree on that. Almost everything I have read, seen, or heard about him has been pretty good.

Lefties: Ariel McDonald, Jason Walton and ???

Was McDonald a lefty? I was pretty young so my memory isn't great, but I don't remember that.

Others that come to mind are Hoffarber, Coffey, and Charles Thomas.

If Ariel was a lefty, he taught himself to play right-handed. Pretty impressive.

The 7 rebounds a game may be more impressive than the 20.7 points per game.

I find it odd that Ellis was at the Iowa game and not much banter about that.. I guess he is already signed up.

Anyway.. nice to know the #3 Illinois player is going to be a Gopher (per Chicago Hoops)

http://chicagohoops.hoops247.com/index.php/2011-08-04-18-06-26/759-updated-class-of-2013-rankings

Check out his game from last night at:

http://www.highschoolcube.com/event/de-la-salle-brother-rice-high-school-basketball-303464

Looks like a very good get by Tubby. Nice shot, can handle the ball, and looks the part.

Foster invited to play in McDonald's All-American game. (Sid in yesterday's column)

Foster invited to play in McDonald's All-American game. (Sid in yesterday's column)

sid is wrong. foster and ellis, along with well over 100 hs players are nominated for the game. the rosters haven't been set yet but no way will either be in the actual game.

I like that the coaching staff thinks he'll be able to help with his ball handling and passing from the get-go next year. If he could play a little bit at the point, we'll have about our best PG situation in a long, long time. Dre should be one of the top PGs in the conference, Mav should be a decent reserve as a senior, and Ellis will hopefully be a poorman's Dre as a frosh.

I like that the coaching staff thinks he'll be able to help with his ball handling and passing from the get-go next year. If he could play a little bit at the point, we'll have about our best PG situation in a long, long time. Dre should be one of the top PGs in the conference, Mav should be a decent reserve as a senior, and Ellis will hopefully be a poorman's Dre as a frosh.
A poor man's Dre? I hope he will be as good or better than Dre was as a freshmen. It's not like Dre was that good last season. He had a good frosh campaign but Ellis if the reports are accurate should be able to have a similar impact.

Chicago Sun Times: The City/Suburban Hoops Report takes a look at the updated Class of 2013 prospect rankings as we head into the stretch run of their senior season.

8. Alvin Ellis, 6-4, WF, Chicago (De La Salle)
A little special place in the Hoops Report's heart for sticking it out at the South Side private school when others bailed. He's flourished in what has been one of the real overlooked seasons by any individual player in this class. Athletic, long and makes plays with a still-improving jumper. He will prove to be a solid recruit for Minnesota.

18. Alex Foster, 6-7, PF, South Holland (Seton Academy)
Made the move to Seton this offseason and is now a few weeks away from challenging for a Class 2A state crown. Brings a body and frame to work with and an ability to move well at his size. Still at his best when he sticks his nose in there around the basket and battles, rebounds, competes.

http://blogs.suntimes.com/hoopsreport/2013/02/stretch_run_for_class_of_2013.html

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom