Season Opener

ncgo4

Reaction score
Any one planning on going to the season's first game in Murfreesboro? I assume limited tickets are available through the athletic dept? It's about 425 miles one way, but may give it a shot.

It's about 900 miles from the Twin Cities

I don't know where you are coming from, but it's about 900 miles from the Twin Cities. Murfreesboro, TN was the site of some Civil Battles involving MN Regiments. There is a painting in the MN Governor's office at the state capitol of the MN troops fighting outside Nashville. The Americans defeated the traitors but there were lots of casualities.

In response to Goofers, we do have a battlefield that you can tour in Murfreesboro. It's the Stones River Battleground. They also have a museum and of course, a cemetery with all of the casualties. It's actually pretty cool. Murfreesboro has ALOT to do and we're only 20-30 minutes from downtown Nashville. We're also about an hour and half away from white water rafting, Chattanooga, Georgia, and more. Murfreesboro is becoming a big city, with about 140,000+ people. And it's in a great location! If you can make it to the game, definitely try!

Murfreesboro does not have 140,000, more like 104,000. Having said that, it *is* a great town in a good area, and with Nashville right up the road, it would make a good extended weekend trip. Opryland will still be closed though.

Coming up from New Orleans for the game. Won't get to be there for anything more than the game itself, but having been to Nashville a few times, there's plenty to do in the area.

Coming from NC. Thus the monicor, NCGO4.

Drivin up from Montgomery. Think me and the wife are gonna make a weekend out of it. I bought tickets through MTSU and I believe they were 55 bucks all together, anyone know where they are sitting? They said the away fans usually sit in the endzone, I opted for upperdeck (although it was explained to me upperdeck at MTSU's stadium is not nosebleedingly high) in the overflow section. This is more towards the center of the field, and I'm thinking a better view. I was told I wouldn't want to stay the night in town, rather head to Nashville for that. Any thoughts from folks who might know? Also looking for some other things to do? I did hear Chattanooga was a beautiful town with plenty of things to do.

Yea, the night of the game, the hotels in Murfreesboro might be a little crowded. If you do decided to stay though, I recommend the Embassy Suites off of Medical Center Parkway. Newest and nice hotel. Plus The Avenue, which is the outdoor mall, and many restaurants are very close by. Also, Chattanooga is gorgeous. They have cleaned up that city in the past 10 years and it looks amazing! It's about an hour and a half away from Murfreesboro. And if you decided to stay in Chattanooga, stay close to the aquarium. That's the main "downtown" area and you can walk or ride the electric shuttle to everything. I recommend the historic Sheraton Read House Hotel in Chattanooga. It's gorgeous and the rooms are nice. If you decide to stay in Nashville, it's about 30 min away, I recommend the Hilton Nashville or the Doubletree downtown or the Renaissance.

Also, correction, in 2008, Murfreesboro had 101,000 people. Yet, it has been growing at a rate of about 20,000 people every 2-3 years.

The Mrs. and I will be flying down for the game and will be staying in Nashville. We haven't purchased our tickets yet, but plan to do so through the Gopher ticket office. This will be our first time seeing the Gophers on the road and we can't wait to make some noise for the Gophers!

Murfreesboro is fun if you're in the 20 - 24 yr old range, but it's a college town - as far as night life is concerned. Downtown Nashville is only 25 min up the road, if traffic isn't bad. You guys can buy tourist cowboy hats and boots, and think you're blending in. It's amusing to us. Tailgating is a lot of fun at the boro though. Hotels are probably less expensive in Murfreesboro too. Things to consider.

Having been to Murfreesboro before

Murfreesboro is fun if you're in the 20 - 24 yr old range, but it's a college town - as far as night life is concerned. Downtown Nashville is only 25 min up the road, if traffic isn't bad. You guys can buy tourist cowboy hats and boots, and think you're blending in. It's amusing to us. Tailgating is a lot of fun at the boro though. Hotels are probably less expensive in Murfreesboro too. Things to consider.

To us who? the slack jawed yokels from that area who do dress like that? The are plenty of those. You need to lose your blinders and embrace the your true inner hillbilly. I can hear "dueling banjos" as we speak.

Just ordered my tix for the game. I was told that they have sold about 200 tix so far. Look forward to seeing some of you for the first time. Go Gophers!

To us who? the slack jawed yokels from that area who do dress like that? The are plenty of those. You need to lose your blinders and embrace the your true inner hillbilly. I can hear "dueling banjos" as we speak.

Whoa...you've never been to the South have you? I'm sorry, but you would see more cowboy hats and boots in Montana than you would here. If you visit downtown, many tourists wear that stuff thinking that they will fit in, when in fact, we just laugh at them for stereotyping and completely getting in wrong. It is VERY amusing to go downtown and just sit. The locals can pick out the tourists in a heartbeat. I don't know of one person who wears cowboy hats and boots and I've lived in Tennessee my entire life. Just don't start stereotyping. It makes you look ignorant.

I don't know of one person who wears cowboy hats and boots and I've lived in Tennessee my entire life.

It's a good thing that your experience is universal. Otherwise, we all may have to live our own lives and have our own unique experiences.

I will bet you the remainder of my lifetime earnings that there are, indeed, people in Tennessee who wear cowboy hats and cowboy boots. In fact, I will wager said amount that there are people who do so on a daily basis.

Whoa...you've never been to the South have you? I'm sorry, but you would see more cowboy hats and boots in Montana than you would here. If you visit downtown, many tourists wear that stuff thinking that they will fit in, when in fact, we just laugh at them for stereotyping and completely getting in wrong. It is VERY amusing to go downtown and just sit. The locals can pick out the tourists in a heartbeat. I don't know of one person who wears cowboy hats and boots and I've lived in Tennessee my entire life. Just don't start stereotyping. It makes you look ignorant.

Growing up in the south and having family in Tennessee it sounds like you don't get around much. Trust me, son, nobody is buying your lies on this board.

Murfreesboro

The new girlfriend and I are driving down....she's a trooper!! I'll report back mid-season how she's holding up. We're staying in Nashville at a Best Western she stayed at about a month ago which she said was nice - and the price is unbelievable.

Lived in the South for 9 years...

It was a joke,mostly..., I did not realize that you were incapable of humor. Anybody, from anywhere can spot tourists. I have been to that town, and Nashville and seen plenty of locals dressed in "country" garb. You need calm down, spot the Simpson's reference, and realize that the South has some Cowboy Hat and Cowboy boot wearers.
Just as Minnesota as a few "You Betcha" saying, Lutefisk eaters as our sterotype says.

Dance4MTSU,

You'd probably appear much more classy, if you where eating bratwurst out of the back of a trailer, near your ice-fishing hole. Comparing snow tires on your pickup truck, and telling old ELK hunting stories. LOL. Midwest = Rednecks in denial.

Dance4MTSU,

You'd probably appear much more classy, if you where eating bratwurst out of the back of a trailer, near your ice-fishing hole. Comparing snow tires on your pickup truck, and telling old ELK hunting stories. LOL. Midwest = Rednecks in denial.

I can't tell if you are serious b/c your 10 gallon hat is too big for your head.

I can't tell if you are serious b/c your 10 gallon hat is too big for your head.

It's not my 10 gallon hat that's keeping you from taking me serious. It's my "elmer Fudd" Trooper snow-hat.

Dance4MTSU,

You know, I always liked Davy Crockett and I am not really that familiar with Estes Kefauver, but if you wear your coon skin hat, I will wear my gopher hat to the game.

Dance4MTSU,

If I was in the back of a trailer near my ice fishing hole, I'd be at the bottom of a lake. Actually, ice fishing holes don't exist in the summertime, you need ice to have a hole in the ice. And contrary to popular belief, we do not have permafrost here, and we are not covered with glaciers. The snow tires are in the garage.

I don't have a trailer, a truck, snow tires, nor do I ice fish, but I know people who do.

But I'll take that bratwurst. I get cheddar jalapeno bratwurst from the local meat market.

If I was in the back of a trailer near my ice fishing hole, I'd be at the bottom of a lake. Actually, ice fishing holes don't exist in the summertime, you need ice to have a hole in the ice. And contrary to popular belief, we do not have permafrost here, and we are not covered with glaciers. The snow tires are in the garage.

I don't have a trailer, a truck, snow tires, nor do I ice fish, but I know people who do.

But I'll take that bratwurst. I get cheddar jalapeno bratwurst from the local meat market.

I know what you mean. Often the stereo type isn't necessarily the norm, just the most noticeable or unusual. I went to MN one time with a college friend, and his "people" were with out a doubt "mid-west, redneck" It was kind of funny, they kept giving me a hard time for pronouncing the "a" in boat, instead of just using the word boot for everything.

I let it slide though. I know all regions have their people who they aren't so proud of. I'm sure some southerners insist it's "warsh" instead of wash* etc.. Mispronunciation really bothers me.. anyway. I'm off my tangent.

Just bought 4 tickets in Gophs section. Bringing my 7 year old and parents.

I know what you mean. Often the stereo type isn't necessarily the norm, just the most noticeable or unusual. I went to MN one time with a college friend, and his "people" were with out a doubt "mid-west, redneck" It was kind of funny, they kept giving me a hard time for pronouncing the "a" in boat, instead of just using the word boot for everything.

I let it slide though. I know all regions have their people who they aren't so proud of. I'm sure some southerners insist it's "warsh" instead of wash* etc.. Mispronunciation really bothers me.. anyway. I'm off my tangent.

In regards to the "bratwurst" statement. I died laughing. I actually grilled some this weekend and went to the lake to go tubing and drinking. Haha. And for the guy who said I was "lying" about my last comment...please get a life. I wasn't lying and believe me, I've probably been to more places and have seen more than you could ever imagine. I danced in college and traveled with football and basketball so believe me, I've seen it all. And I'm not trying to bash a college but just go down to Tuscaloosa for an Alabama game and stand on their field in the opponents colors. You won't believe the things you see, hear, and have to dodge.

I'm game. Provide me the research you did to come up with the statement that there are more people in Montana wearing cowboy boots and hats then in TN.

I'm game. Provide me the research you did to come up with the statement that there are more people in Montana wearing cowboy boots and hats then in TN.

Considering the fact that I have family living in the Midwest and my family is from the Midwest, including Montana, I'm just making a generalization going by what I've seen. No need to get all hasty. Chill. But of course, immature people will stereotype, so that's fine. I guess down here in the South we all live in barns, go barefoot, wear overalls, have straw in our mouths all day, and everyone lives on a farm. Right?

I apologize, "hasty" is kind of a Yankee thing. I'll try to slow down my typing for you so you can keep up.

Top Bottom