Search Firm ?

Silvio

Reaction score
On the Sports Huddle on Sunday Maturi indicated he was using a search firm out of Alanta (Powers?) and not Nienas (sp) as previously reported. Maturi stated this was the same firm used to land Tubby. Does anyone know if this was also the same firm used to land Brewster? Thanks.

On the Sports Huddle on Sunday Maturi indicated he was using a search firm out of Alanta (Powers?) and not Nienas (sp) as previously reported. Maturi stated this was the same firm used to land Tubby. Does anyone know if this was also the same firm used to land Brewster? Thanks.

Yes it is.

This is the same firm we used to land Brew.

I must say this is disappointing. I was pretty impressed with Nienas's (sp) resume. The Atlanta firm may be fine, but the other guy appeared to be the premier search guy in college football.

Same firm that landed Kelly at Notre Dame and they looked pretty good this year!!!

I could have landed Kelly to Notre Dame. Seriously though, that's not the example to use. I'm sure this search firm is fine. It just brings up bad memories b/c of the Brew situation and doesn't have the cachet that Nienas does.

Has anyone here heard from the search committe?

If this is true, HUGE RED FLAG.

Bleepin Maturi

I'm not sure why we'd blame the search firm. Its job is to talk to dozens of potential candidates (or his representatives) and report back to Maturi on who might be interested and how much money it would take to get him. From that point, it's up to Maturi to decide who is worth pursuing.

I think this is where people say. If they don't land the coach I want then it sucked.

I must say this is disappointing. I was pretty impressed with Nienas's (sp) resume. The Atlanta firm may be fine, but the other guy appeared to be the premier search guy in college football.

He also has had some questionable ethics as well

This is probably a stupid question, but did Maturi change his mind? In his presser, he said this:

. You mentioned Dungy and how he was going to help the program. Was there any sense that maybe you put together a formal search committee of which maybe he would be a part that would recommend the next coach? Would that be part of the process going forward?

JOEL MATURI: The reality of it is you will not hire a significant coach doing it that way. Now if we're going to hire a coordinator, and we may, if we're going to hire a mid level coach, and we may, because that may be the best person that is available to us, that would be a process that might be successful.
If you're going to get somebody who, you know, has a little bit more notoriety and attention to it, you can't do it that way. Not in today's world.

Was that because it was a committee and could be interpreted as internal vs. using a firm that's external? I'm just trying to clarify.

GL, I am confused by this also. I have a bad feeling that Maturi hired a search firm because every big time coach has said "no thanks, not interested." Hiring this search firm kind of goes against everything that Maturi expressed during his press conference. Hopefully I'm reading too much into this.

GL, I am confused by this also. I have a bad feeling that Maturi hired a search firm because every big time coach has said "no thanks, not interested." Hiring this search firm kind of goes against everything that Maturi expressed during his press conference. Hopefully I'm reading too much into this.

Let's remember that a search firm and a search committee are two completely different things. A search firm is an outside organization which contacts possible candidates and his representatives to determine whether there could be any interest and if so, how much it would take to get him. Because it is an outside organization, it can gauge interest of people under contract elsewhere without "tampering". This is all done VERY secretly. On the other hand, a search committee is a group of people that the University puts together to interview candidates and pick a new coach. This is a very public process. That's how we picked Wacker.

It would be possible to use both in finding a new coach - the search firm gives a report on dozens of possible candidates and then the search committee goes over the report to decide who it wants to interview. However, Maturi has clearly said that there will be no search committee and that the next thing we'll hear from him will be when he's announcing who the new coach is.

In this day and age, the only time you wouldn't use a search firm would be if you already have an in-house candidate that you already know you're giving the job to. Even then, it would be a good idea to use one in case there's someone out there you never thought you would have had a chance at getting, but you could get by without one.

My question is why doesn't Joel in the bottom drawer under a bottom of Johnny Walker Blue(or whatever his favorite is) doesn't have 3 Manila Folders. One with potential football coaches, one with potential men's basketball coaches, and one with potential men's hockey coaches? Wouldn't you want a list of potential coaches always ready so you don't have to wait for anything you just have to figure out who its going to be and hire them.

My question is why doesn't Joel in the bottom drawer under a bottom of Johnny Walker Blue(or whatever his favorite is) doesn't have 3 Manila Folders. One with potential football coaches, one with potential men's basketball coaches, and one with potential men's hockey coaches? Wouldn't you want a list of potential coaches always ready so you don't have to wait for anything you just have to figure out who its going to be and hire them.

That's the thing. He has such a list and now he is giving that list to the search firm so they can gauge whatever interest there may be. He's also telling them how much the job would pay, etc. What we hope is, the search firm will get a thumbs up from someone we like, he'll interview, everything will come back positive from his background check, and then he signs a contract.

That's the thing. He has such a list and now he is giving that list to the search firm so they can gauge whatever interest there may be. He's also telling them how much the job would pay, etc. What we hope is, the search firm will get a thumbs up from someone we like, he'll interview, everything will come back positive from his background check, and then he signs a contract.

Good point, but I still hope there is a list of potential candidates that Maturi would want the firm to look at.

Top Bottom