Seantrel visiting Alabama...

It'll be interesting to see how much money, um, er, hospitality the Alabama folks offer, um, er, show him.

Alabama

It boggles my mind why any African American would ever go to Alabama, where no black players were allowed on the team until 1976. Having lived down there, I can tell you that a significant percentage of their fans consider the white players to be student athletes and the black players to be cattle.

It boggles my mind why any African American would ever go to Alabama, where no black players were allowed on the team until 1976. Having lived down there, I can tell you that a significant percentage of their fans consider the white players to be student athletes and the black players to be cattle.

this is a bunch of bigoted BS. i have close family in alabama and georgia and i can assure you that this sentiment is 100% wrong.

unfortunatly I have to agree with balds, I have family in georgia and racism is very much alive their.

this is a bunch of bigoted BS. i have close family in alabama and georgia and i can assure you that this sentiment is 100% wrong.

I used to live in N. Florida and my business was was in Georgia, Alabama & Florida and have travelled and done business throughout the area and I can say with certainty that racism is alive and well in the south and it runs both ways.

Tuscaloosa is better than some schools...Auburn, Georgia Tech & Tallahassee were much worse in my opinion.

GopherinPhilly

Where did you live in Northern Florida. Destin for me.

I live in North Carolina and used to live in Minnesota. Racism is not dead anywhere. The truly ignorant know not of geographical boundaries. The main difference is that the South took longer and required a much more intrusive motivation to eliminate their de jure impediments to complete freedom for all citizens.

However, I can assure you that the rampant and open racism that I observed in both places when I first moved here 35 years ago does not exist except among the very few truly ignorant. I hope Seantrell chooses Minnesota, but his decision should not be based on a misconception that the old south still dominates.

The days when Bobby Bell came to Minnesota because Winston-Salem blacks couldn't get into UNC (or Alabama) are gone. Just as the days when a realtor wouldn't show a house in Edina to a Black professional are gone.

Both of my beloved homes are better for it. Now Seantrell, stay home. We really need you.

I'm black and I've often thought the same thing. I know times have changed but I don't know how I'd feel about playing at Bama or SC. Those places still have tons of issues. Truth is a good number of people cheering for you in the stands wouldn't want you to date their daughters. Same thing with playing basketball for Kentucky ina an arena named after a known racist

Where did you live in Northern Florida. Destin for me.

Hey Balds,

My Mother & Brother still live in Navarre....I lived in Navarre, FWB and Panama City from 1999 - 2002 before I moved to Philadelphia.

Just an FWI - Philadelphia makes the south look like the shangrila of racial equality...the city of brotherly love don't apply to the brothers...most racially divided city I have ever lived in or visited.

Alabama

I only have my own experience and perceptions to go on and I do think there is a difference between the north and south. All Alabama fans are not in their 40's or younger. In 1975 the University and State wanted zero African Americans on their football team. They even needed the Damn National Guard to get a group of students into a campus building. That wasn't in the 20's or 30's. That was in the 70's!!!! Do you think Alabama fans/boosters, etc. all just went away after black players were admitted?

Where I lived I knew many Alabama fans (in their 20's at the time) and went to many SEC Championship games in which Alabama/Auburn played. The racist stance toward the players, overt and subtle, was staggering to a guy who had lived in Minnesota up until that point. It goes without saying (but is often said) that the white coaches and players are the brains behind the operation, and the black players are "boys" who can "really run" or "really jump"

Just my experience and perception.

I don't usually like to comment on the race issue, simply because I never even consider race when it comes to evaluating anyone, whether it relates to sports or otherwise.

But the one school I've never been able to figure out is Mississippi. I can't figure out why a black player would ever want to play for a school that calls themselves the Rebels and also proudly flies the Confederate flag at home football games. Maybe someone in the know can educate me on this, because this just seems to fly in the face of racial equality.

Again, maybe I am misreading something here, but I just don't get how a school like Mississippi can claim not to be racist when they so proudly tout symbols of slavery at home athletic events.

I can't believe Alabama is even in the running. If Henderson wound up going there I would laugh my apples off. I could understand USC, Ohio State, Notre Dame, even Florida. But Alabama and Michigan for his first two visits? There is something very strange going on with this guy.

You gota put yourself in this kids shoes though. If Saban, as much as i hate the guy, calls you and tells you to come check out his school, don't you pretty much have to do it. They are going to wine and dine you. Offer you more than any of us probably even know, or want to know. Go to a few parties, and meet some young ladies. I mean, you are only young once, and can probably get away with pretty much anything. I know if i were a 17 year old kid, that would be hard to pass up. Especially since he is the top recruit in the nation, they are going to do more to impress him than some random 3 star recruit. Let the kid enjoy the experience, even if he is not strongly considering attending the school. It would still be a fun experience there, and i am sure he will have fun when he does visit, Ohio State, Notre Dame, USC ect. Yes, i want the kid to stay here as much as anyone, but lets not be naive here, he is going to visit schools, and he deserves to. We have what, 10 months until he decides on where to go. Lets let the kid visit these schools, and hopefully he decides he can have as good experience staying at Minnesota than he can anywhere else he could go.

If you're going to be a champ you have to beat the best. That includes the recuiting too. Sometimes you also have a home field advantage. I'm saying let him see the rest and then prove what's best...for him.

I don't usually like to comment on the race issue, simply because I never even consider race when it comes to evaluating anyone, whether it relates to sports or otherwise.

But the one school I've never been able to figure out is Mississippi. I can't figure out why a black player would ever want to play for a school that calls themselves the Rebels and also proudly flies the Confederate flag at home football games. Maybe someone in the know can educate me on this, because this just seems to fly in the face of racial equality.

Again, maybe I am misreading something here, but I just don't get how a school like Mississippi can claim not to be racist when they so proudly tout symbols of slavery at home athletic events.

I don't know all the ins & outs of "Ole Miss" but I believe the school officially dropped the confederate flag as a school symbol because what you said is exactly what all the rival schools were saying to recruits. They now have a "M" with stars in it.

I don't know all the ins & outs of "Ole Miss" but I believe the school officially dropped the confederate flag as a school symbol because what you said is exactly what all the rival schools were saying to recruits. They now have a "M" with stars in it.

Thanks. That would make sense. Although I have to admit, If we were a rival school, I would have a major issue with using it as a recruiting tool against Ole Miss. However, I do find the whole thing rather curious and somewhat troubling.

Some people may not. I just happen to be one of those who does. :eek:

Family member went to Auburn.......this person was shunned for being a yankee. That said, it is better for kids like Seantrel to go places like AL. and change things for the better. What better way than to have quality kids busting stereotypes.

Just had to throw my two cents in here. I've lived in SD and MN my whole life, and I had never been to the South until two summers ago. My wife's whole family is from WI (her parents, aunts, uncles, etc.) and one of her uncles moved to Prattville (just north of Birmingham) right out of college. In other words, her aunt and uncle were both born and raised in WI, but all of their kids were born and raised in AL. We traveled down to see one of his daughters get married, and my jaw dropped when I heard the way they talked about blacks. I'm not going to be naïve and pretend that racism doesn't exist in the North, but I had never before seen it so overtly. They talked about blacks as though they were a lower species, and I'm guessing it wasn't an isolated incident, as she was relating stories from the way she and her friends talk to each other at school.

As others have said, a time span of a little more than 30 years is not nearly long enough to change something that had been so ingrained into their collective consciousness for centuries. Should this change Seantrel's opinion about going to 'Bama (or any other Southern school)? No, and I can't pretend to know what it's like to be a black man, but I would think something like that has to be in the back of your mind. Especially so for someone from MN who is not used to the type of culture that blacks raised in the south are more accustomed to.

If you in anyway think the south doesn't have racism problems I can sum you up in one of two words: Moron OR Ingnorant. I mean really, MN is a country club compared to down there, and if you deny it, I will laugh in your face. My experiences in Arkansas, Louisiana and Alabama made me feel uncomfortable, I feel they genuinly hate people from the North, I can only imagine what its like if you are black and don't do something that benefits them (ie- win them football games, etc). Not only are a lot of the people undeniably still racist (come on, like other posters said, they only let black people play football in the 70's, that just just before I was born!!!) but this is Saban's exact quote a year ago that he got roasted in the media for:

" There was a guy working in the ditch, one of those coonass guys that talk funny. "

Hmmmmmmmmmmm,........................ he had some nice excuse deflecting blame for it, but really, welcome to reality, what do you think gets said behind closed doors.

I dont have any experience with this, but if it's true I hope Henderson is reading this. STAY HOME SEANTREL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"There was a guy working in the ditch, one of those coonass guys that talk funny."

Just so we're all clear...the term "coonass" has nothing to do with race. It is a pejorative term used in reference to Cajuns. While many in the upper class find it offensive and degrading, it is actually used as a badge of honor amongst the lower class. I remember reading an SI article recently that referenced the Saban situation, and I guarantee that the only reason anyone found it offensive was because he "betrayed" LSU by coming back to coach Alabama. Saban most likely used the same term while coaching at LSU, and it didn't bother anybody then because he was "one of them."

The term is certainly a stereotype, and offensive to some, but by no means racist.

Just so we're all clear...the term "coonass" has nothing to do with race. It is a pejorative term used in reference to Cajuns. While many in the upper class find it offensive and degrading, it is actually used as a badge of honor amongst the lower class. I remember reading an SI article recently that referenced the Saban situation, and I guarantee that the only reason anyone found it offensive was because he "betrayed" LSU by coming back to coach Alabama. Saban most likely used the same term while coaching at LSU, and it didn't bother anybody then because he was "one of them."

The term is certainly a stereotype, and offensive to some, but by no means racist.

Ridiculous. Racism is inherently classism. "Coonass" is the same as "coon" as in "n***er." It is a word of violence- wielded for no other reason that to hurt someone.

All of this said, there are as many racists in Minnesota as in Alabama. The only difference is, in Minnesota, the people feel bad about being racist and do their best to feel bad about it and change. I think it's an important disntinction.

All of this said, there are as many racists in Minnesota as in Alabama. The only difference is, in Minnesota, the people feel bad about being racist and do their best to feel bad about it and change. I think it's an important disntinction.

I dunno about that. I know some pretty ignorant, racist folks from MN and non of them feel bad about it. They also don't think they are racist or ignorant. Their friends are just like them and not enough other people stand up to them or say anything about it for it to sink in that what they say out loud isn't cool. They don't call people the N-word or do use other language that is overtly racist. But if you listen to them talk for while its not hard to see the undertone to their way of thinking and speaking.

Ridiculous. Racism is inherently classism. "Coonass" is the same as "coon" as in "n*gger." It is a word of violence- wielded for no other reason that to hurt someone.

Somebody has been reading their Marx.... While I will agree that both racism and classism have roots in the same dynamic, a class'/race's distance from power relative to another class/race, racism is not inherently classism, at least in the U.S. Classism in this country has been muted due to the high degree of social mobility (as compared to European and some Asian cultures), while race is a much larger issue on account of slavery, internment camps, and the experience of Native Americans during colonization and westward expansion. To that point, perjoratives about one's class are treated very differently than comments about one's race. While both may be wielded to hurt, they carry very different contextual meanings.

To your second point, the incidence of racist actions here and in Alabama, you're right; but I believe these are different manifestations of racism. Ours is more of an institutional sort...frankly most of us are too oblivious to know when racism is at play, but much of it still qualifies as racism. The Alabama ilk is more overt. Where evidence of segregation is as clear as it is in Alabama (and much of the South, for that matter), it's hard to believe there aren't more sinister acts of racism at play. It's arguable about whether one is better than another, but I think it's another important distinction.

Somebody has been reading their Marx.... While I will agree that both racism and classism have roots in the same dynamic, a class'/race's distance from power relative to another class/race, racism is not inherently classism, at least in the U.S. Classism in this country has been muted due to the high degree of social mobility (as compared to European and some Asian cultures), while race is a much larger issue on account of slavery, internment camps, and the experience of Native Americans during colonization and westward expansion. To that point, perjoratives about one's class are treated very differently than comments about one's race. While both may be wielded to hurt, they carry very different contextual meanings.

To your second point, the incidence of racist actions here and in Alabama, you're right; but I believe these are different manifestations of racism. Ours is more of an institutional sort...frankly most of us are too oblivious to know when racism is at play, but much of it still qualifies as racism. The Alabama ilk is more overt. Where evidence of segregation is as clear as it is in Alabama (and much of the South, for that matter), it's hard to believe there aren't more sinister acts of racism at play. It's arguable about whether one is better than another, but I think it's another important distinction.

I've never read Marx.

My second job was as a bag boy at Lund's in Highland Park. I would ride my bike from the southside across the bridge to get there. That was my real introduction to racism growing up in MPLS. The looks I got were icy and often people would switch lanes once they saw I would be bagging. Now most of these were old people but let's not act like racism isn't still around everywhere and still accepted. Still it seems to be more blatant and accepted in the South IMO

re:

Ridiculous. Racism is inherently classism. "Coonass" is the same as "coon" as in "n*gger." It is a word of violence- wielded for no other reason that to hurt someone.

After you finish reading this:

http://www.startribune.com/local/42816232.html

perhaps you could trot back to the ticket thread and continue telling "people from WI" that people from MN are smarter/better because of their genes.

Top Bottom