Seantrel Henderson names three favorites

Not really sure how we got here. Hmmmmmmmmm.....just forget i posted anything.

Leave my image alone.

I think players do select a school with the playing in the NFL in mind.
If Jim Sorgi, Brooks Bollinger, Darrell Bevell would have played for Mason they probably would not be drawing NFL paychecks. HS seniors see those results and picture themselves following the same path.

Consider ourselves lucky that Adam Weber stayed home and is not in cardinal and white on fall saturdays

Troll much? That's the list of great NFL Quarterback you can cite from Wisconsin? They went to Wisconsin because it would help them reach the NFL? Cory Sauter did as much in the NFL as Brooks Bollinger did. But hey, I hear he's going to sign with the UFL. That's the sort of star power they need.

I will admit I had forgotten about Edwards when running the list of top instate players and I hope that he and Gjere stay true to their commitments till February, however I don't unfortunately trust any commitment until they sign on the dotted line especially with a whole season yet to play out. In regards to Okuyemi, clearly there are quite a few programs out there that are interested in him measurables and all and he would be a solid get for the Gophers.

I agree that Okuyemi would be a good pickup, and he is a good player, but he isn't a good enough player that schools will wait for him. I believe Okuyemi is going to end up having offers pulled on him because he wants to take all 5 visits and wait to decide. He isn't a SH type recruit so as teams get other players willing to commit they will fill up at his position and he will have offers pulled--see Fritz Rock's Minnesota offer. Just my prediction.

This is the first post I've seen where the poster wants to give credit for the recruiting class of '07 to Tim Brewster, and not to Glen Mason.

The poster didn't directly attribute a single class to either coach. The poster just showed the progress the last few years.

Personally I don't credit (blame) the 2007 class on either coach because neither coach got to start and close the class. Mason likely would have closed some of the players that they had been working on for months. Brewster didn't have a fair chance because he was hired so close to LOI day and the only players available were players that were not highly sought after by other schools for some reason. It really isn't fair to put the 2007 class solely on either coach.

As far as Jacobs, he committed to Mason so Mason deserves the credit for that. That is probably the first time since Thomas Tapeh that Mason landed most highly sought after recruit in the state.

I agree that Okuyemi would be a good pickup, and he is a good player, but he isn't a good enough player that schools will wait for him. I believe Okuyemi is going to end up having offers pulled on him because he wants to take all 5 visits and wait to decide. He isn't a SH type recruit so as teams get other players willing to commit they will fill up at his position and he will have offers pulled--see Fritz Rock's Minnesota offer. Just my prediction.

It will be interesting to see but I will leave that up to coaches who are paid and qualified to evaluate and make those decisions.

Tim Davis has worked in the NFL as a line coach, Coach Brewster has coached in the NFL...he will get to the NFL no matter where he goes. Seantrel just seems like a guy who is seeking the spot light, shooting for the big time. I can't blame him.

Have fun at USC where you will be just another ordinary great player...at least this way he will come through the Bank once.

Are you serious? I know rankings aren't everything but look at the numbers. Of the top 10 in Minnesota, these are the state ranks of the players we have landed since 2003 (rivals):

2003 - #7, #8, #9 (top 3 go to Notre Dame including John Carlson)
2004 - #5, #6, #8
2005 - #5, #6, #7, #8, #9 (1-4 includes Walker Ashley and Laurinaitis)
2006 - #6, #7, #8 (Carufel to ND, Royston to WI)
2007 - #1, #3, #4, #7, #9 (Binns to Iowa)
2008 - #3, #6, #8, #9 (one of the best MN classes in recent times w/ Floyd, Mobley, & Maresh)
2009 - #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #8 (McNeal to Clemson)
2010 - too early for rankings but have commitments from Edwards and Gjere who will be top 4 in the state for sure

I would say we've made some pretty dang good progress the past few years. From 2003 to 2006 we landed 0 top four players. In the last three years we've landed 7 top four players (not including Edwards and Gjere). And most will say the talent level coming from MN is greater now than 5 or 10 years ago.

Sure we can still improve even more but I would say we've made some very large steps in the right direction when it comes to in-state recruiting.

IMO, in-state recruits are chosing Minnesota in greater numbers as much for "other reasons" as for the recruiting of Brewster and Staff. The "other reasons" consisting mostly of the new stadium and the U's initiative to make the campus more friendly to traditional college students.

Alverez, Notre Dame (even Colorado) had their way with Minnesota recruits over the last few decades by selling the on-campus gameday atmosphere vs. playing in the Metrodome. Now what can they say?

The fact is, Minnesota is a much more compelling school for Fresman to enroll than it was in the 80's and 90's when it had nearly devolved into an urban commuter-school.

I think Brewster's crew is doing a good job of communicating this to recruits. But things have changed. The U is selling in-state football recruits a much better product.

Top Bottom