Seantrel Henderson names three favorites

GopherFan75, here is another way I look at it when I say

That SH the name is more important than SH the player. If for some reason SH decided to stay home and play for the Gophers that in itself would tell the college football world, its current coaches and future recruits, the Gophers got the best player in the nation for 2010 and they must have something going on that is pretty good. From that point on SH could tear his ACL in both knees and never play a meaningful down of football again but the Gopher program will still be known as the place the #1 recruit picked and that alone will perk the interest of other recruits. It will also serve notice that Brewster is able to back up his recruiting mantra and give the local media one less thing to denigrate the Gophers football program.

That SH the name is more important than SH the player. If for some reason SH decided to stay home and play for the Gophers that in itself would tell the college football world, its current coaches and future recruits, the Gophers got the best player in the nation for 2010 and they must have something going on that is pretty good. From that point on SH could tear his ACL in both knees and never play a meaningful down of football again but the Gopher program will still be known as the place the #1 recruit picked and that alone will perk the interest of other recruits. It will also serve notice that Brewster is able to back up his recruiting mantra and give the local media one less thing to denigrate the Gophers football program.

From that aspect I definitely agree with what you are saying. Landing the #1 player in the country would be quite a big statement. I won't rip on Brew if he can't land a kid who has every school in the world after him, but I think it is as much of a loss/gain whether he plays OL or RB. Either way he is a huge get and a somewhat disappointing loss.
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA PATIENT

ESPNU 150 Watch Lister Seantrel Henderson names three favorites
Offensive tackle Seantrel Henderson told ESPN affiliate Web site GatorCountry.com, "Florida, USC and Ohio State... its going to be one of those three. They play for championships and they put a lot of people in the NFL."

"Distance doesn't matter," he continued. "It's about where I feel best about the school, the people in the program, the guys who are going to be my teammates and the coaches. If that's at a place like USC or Florida, that's fine with me. I'm going where I feel like I'm home. I'll know if it's the right place after I do my visits."

However, Henderson added, "It's not that I've closed the door on anyone. I'm still open but I've got some things that are important to me. It's going to be a tough choice but I'm going to make the right one whatever that is."

His father, Sean Henderson, previously informed affiliate Web site Bucknuts.com that Ohio State, Florida, USC and Oklahoma would be receiving official visits from his son and that Minnesota, Florida State, Notre Dame and Michigan were still in the mix.

To me, this is inexcusable. This just shows where the Gophers football program really is. The fact that Minnesota isn't even in the top 3 is just pathetic.

Weisbrod, 2 questions for you:

- Where did you go to college?

- Assuming you knew journalism would be your calling if you had been offered free rides to Columbia University, Northwestern University and the University of Missouri since you were a high school sophomore, would you still have picked the college you attended?

I think this situation just illustrates that we are not going to get the top player in-state regardless of the sales pitch that Brewster is giving so he better learn to coach up the talent that we have and hire a good staff. If we are not getting the level of players that a USC or Florida is getting then being able to coach them up becomes even more of a premium IMO and is the only way to take this program to the next leve.

To me, this is inexcusable. This just shows where the Gophers football program really is. The fact that Minnesota isn't even in the top 3 is just pathetic.

Really, Weisbrod? Really? If you wanna talk about pathetic, I'd say your "column" that you posted in the other thread is more fitting of that description than this situation. It's July 20 and you're calling some quote from a GATOR website pathetic? Get real. There is more than a half a year before Henderson makes any decisions, so you're clearly not much of a fan if you're calling this situation pathetic. Hell, the kid contradicts himself before the end of the SAME article!

If the Gopher football program is "pathetic" how is it that we already have a commit from our highest-ranked player (Gjere at #49) in the modern recruiting era? Go take your rookie writing to SportsJournalists.com for some feedback so you can stop acting like a Gopher fan here.

BTW, I'm pretty sure this guy is an NDSU fan at heart.

I think this situation just illustrates that we are not going to get the top player in-state regardless of the sales pitch that Brewster is giving so he better learn to coach up the talent that we have and hire a good staff. If we are not getting the level of players that a USC or Florida is getting then being able to coach them up becomes even more of a premium IMO and is the only way to take this program to the next leve.

Brewster in-state recruiting has been much better than Mason but he still has a little ways to go. However, Henderson is easily the most sought-after MN recruit in recent times so I don't think it's a complete failure if Brewster doesn't land him. McNeal was disappointing last year, and so was Floyd.

You do have to admit that the in-state recruiting has improved a lot since Brewster arrived. Whether it will continue to improve is yet to be seen; if we can win, they will stay home. We'll see if that happens.

So Norman you are basically saying that losing Mike Floyd was a bigger deal. Floyd was a 5 star skill player from the same high school. Either way, missing both of them is a pretty big whiff.

Once again, it is not the same thing. Missing out on Floyd and McNeal is one thing...missing out on Henderson is altogether different. There has never been a Minnesota recruit as highly-sought after as he, and there will likely not be another for a long time.
And Brewster will never, ever, ever, get the top players in Florida, Texas, and California to come here. Ever. He will get good players that may pan out and be great, but he will never get a top-5 recruit from any of those states, period. I don't care if Jesus Christ himself were the coach here, players like that will never come to Minnesota. Ever.

Apples to oranges. Matt Cassel was a decent recruit, but certainly no sure thing, as evidenced by the fact that he never started a game at USC. The visibility afforded him at USC enabled him to get drafted. Do you think Seantreal Henderson will never start a game at USC? Please.

eh hem...

Lloyd, yes

So Norman you are basically saying that losing Mike Floyd was a bigger deal. Floyd was a 5 star skill player from the same high school. Either way, missing both of them is a pretty big whiff.

How much more effective would Adam Weber been last year with a Michael Floyd taking some of the defensive heat off of Eric Decker? Does Decker still take such a punishment and get injured without being double-teamed? Probably not. Of course you can say that our running game may have improved or Weber would have more time to throw with SH at LT but one great lineman does not make for a good line. We had multiple deficiencies in our line last year. I cringed every time Jimmy Clausen threw to Michael Floyd - something I could see every Saturday with ND's NBC contract.

Absolutely a rediculous thread....
Is Penn State not an elite program because it wasn't in the top 2 for Pennsylvania native Terrelle Pryor?
Is USC not an elite program because it couldn't get California native Jimmy Clausen?
Is Michigan not an elite program because it only landed 3 of the top 20 in-state Michigan high school preps?...while Michigan State landed 8 of the top 11 (according to Rivals).

Now if we lose kids to USC, Florida, Ohio State there is nothing Brewster could do about that. Those are very, very good programs and we should kinda be proud that these schools are paying attention to our high school players.
Now if we lose a Seantrel to Wisconsin or Iowa that is a totally different situation.

Can anybody really fault SH for attending any of those 3 schools??? Those are some good programs. As much as I'd like to see him as a Gopher (and I do very much), I can't fault him for going elsewhere if he's going to a program like that (although it would be really tough to see him go to Ohio St).

Absolutely a rediculous thread....
Is Penn State not an elite program because it wasn't in the top 2 for Pennsylvania native Terrelle Pryor?
Is USC not an elite program because it couldn't get California native Jimmy Clausen?
Is Michigan not an elite program because it only landed 3 of the top 20 in-state Michigan high school preps?...while Michigan State landed 8 of the top 11 (according to Rivals).

Now if we lose kids to USC, Florida, Ohio State there is nothing Brewster could do about that. Those are very, very good programs and we should kinda be proud that these schools are paying attention to our high school players.
Now if we lose a Seantrel to Wisconsin or Iowa that is a totally different situation.

Couldn't have said it better.

Here's what is going to happen...

He's going to keep everyone guessing until the last minute. Then he's going to committ and go to USC. He'll go there for a year, then drop out. THEN, he's going to play footsie with us and tell us all about how he wanted to be a Gopher all along, but his parents kept him from his dream. Then, he's going to get a job at McDonalds and never be heard from again.

Oh wait, that was Walker Ashley...Sorry.

Seriously, let the kid pick his school. If he wants to go elsewhere, fine. If he wants to come, even better. Just dont be a jerk, take it seriously and make an adult decision and STICK TO IT.

Just my 2 cents.

PS: When is WLA enrolling again? My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Walker talking about the Gophers at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.

Brewster in-state recruiting has been much better than Mason but he still has a little ways to go. However, Henderson is easily the most sought-after MN recruit in recent times so I don't think it's a complete failure if Brewster doesn't land him. McNeal was disappointing last year, and so was Floyd.

You do have to admit that the in-state recruiting has improved a lot since Brewster arrived. Whether it will continue to improve is yet to be seen; if we can win, they will stay home. We'll see if that happens.

In-state recruiting didn't just improve a little under Brewster, it improved a LOT. If we lose the top guy every year to the #1 programs, that's not surprising. It happens to all 2nd-tier or lower teams with regularity. But to be getting almost every #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, .... that's incredible and should signify how good of a job he's doing.

In-state recruiting didn't just improve a little under Brewster, it improved a LOT. If we lose the top guy every year to the #1 programs, that's not surprising. It happens to all 2nd-tier or lower teams with regularity. But to be getting almost every #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #7, .... that's incredible and should signify how good of a job he's doing.

I would agree the recruiting in-state has approved some, don't know if I would say a ton however. Unfortunately I think it is highly likely that of the top 4 in-state players this year that we will get 1 at best. I think that thus far Brewster has proven to be a average coach at best and a good recruiter and as a result he needs to be able to far exceed the recruiting of our competition who have proven they can coach and gameplan as well as administer a coaching staff better than Brewster at this time.

Are you serious right now? How is he being a prima donna when he has the top college programs in the country all over his jock to get him to play there. He can either go win a championship or 4 or he can come to the Gophers, be idolized by the home fans but just be part of a rebuilding process. There is no way you can blame him for leaving Minnesota.

Would I love to see him in maroon and gold? HELL YEAH I WOULD but let's be honest with ourselves here.

Exactly. You can't blame the kid, but let's not give up all hope yet. Recruiting is crazy.

I would agree the recruiting in-state has approved some, don't know if I would say a ton however. Unfortunately I think it is highly likely that of the top 4 in-state players this year that we will get 1 at best.

Jimmy Gjere and Lamonte Edwards beg to differ.

You can argue Beau Allen is underrated by the recruiting services but Okuyemi isn't. Okuyemi is shorter than ideal for a DE and while he is quick he doesn't have elite quickness to make up for it.

I would agree the recruiting in-state has approved some, don't know if I would say a ton however. Unfortunately I think it is highly likely that of the top 4 in-state players this year that we will get 1 at best. I think that thus far Brewster has proven to be a average coach at best and a good recruiter and as a result he needs to be able to far exceed the recruiting of our competition who have proven they can coach and gameplan as well as administer a coaching staff better than Brewster at this time.

Are you serious? I know rankings aren't everything but look at the numbers. Of the top 10 in Minnesota, these are the state ranks of the players we have landed since 2003 (rivals):

2003 - #7, #8, #9 (top 3 go to Notre Dame including John Carlson)
2004 - #5, #6, #8
2005 - #5, #6, #7, #8, #9 (1-4 includes Walker Ashley and Laurinaitis)
2006 - #6, #7, #8 (Carufel to ND, Royston to WI)
2007 - #1, #3, #4, #7, #9 (Binns to Iowa)
2008 - #3, #6, #8, #9 (one of the best MN classes in recent times w/ Floyd, Mobley, & Maresh)
2009 - #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #8 (McNeal to Clemson)
2010 - too early for rankings but have commitments from Edwards and Gjere who will be top 4 in the state for sure

I would say we've made some pretty dang good progress the past few years. From 2003 to 2006 we landed 0 top four players. In the last three years we've landed 7 top four players (not including Edwards and Gjere). And most will say the talent level coming from MN is greater now than 5 or 10 years ago.

Sure we can still improve even more but I would say we've made some very large steps in the right direction when it comes to in-state recruiting.

I think players do select a school with the playing in the NFL in mind.
If Jim Sorgi, Brooks Bollinger, Darrell Bevell would have played for Mason they probably would not be drawing NFL paychecks. HS seniors see those results and picture themselves following the same path.

Consider ourselves lucky that Adam Weber stayed home and is not in cardinal and white on fall saturdays

Jimmy Gjere and Lamonte Edwards beg to differ.

You can argue Beau Allen is underrated by the recruiting services but Okuyemi isn't. Okuyemi is shorter than ideal for a DE and while he is quick he doesn't have elite quickness to make up for it.

I will admit I had forgotten about Edwards when running the list of top instate players and I hope that he and Gjere stay true to their commitments till February, however I don't unfortunately trust any commitment until they sign on the dotted line especially with a whole season yet to play out. In regards to Okuyemi, clearly there are quite a few programs out there that are interested in him measurables and all and he would be a solid get for the Gophers.

If Jim Sorgi, Brooks Bollinger, Darrell Bevell would have played for Mason they probably would not be drawing NFL paychecks. HS seniors see those results and picture themselves following the same path.

Consider ourselves lucky that Adam Weber stayed home and is not in cardinal and white on fall saturdays

Once again....that is a valid argument for borderline players.

It does not hold water for players of Seantrel Henderson's caliber.

He will play in the NFL, and likely be drafted highly, regardless of where he goes to school.

Can we stop repeatedly bringing up this point, please?

Are you serious? I know rankings aren't everything but look at the numbers. Of the top 10 in Minnesota, these are the state ranks of the players we have landed since 2003 (rivals):

2003 - #7, #8, #9 (top 3 go to Notre Dame including John Carlson)
2004 - #5, #6, #8
2005 - #5, #6, #7, #8, #9 (1-4 includes Walker Ashley and Laurinaitis)
2006 - #6, #7, #8 (Carufel to ND, Royston to WI)
2007 - #1, #3, #4, #7, #9 (Binns to Iowa)
2008 - #3, #6, #8, #9 (one of the best MN classes in recent times w/ Floyd, Mobley, & Maresh)
2009 - #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, #8 (McNeal to Clemson)
2010 - too early for rankings but have commitments from Edwards and Gjere who will be top 4 in the state for sure

I would say we've made some pretty dang good progress the past few years. From 2003 to 2006 we landed 0 top four players. In the last three years we've landed 7 top four players (not including Edwards and Gjere). And most will say the talent level coming from MN is greater now than 5 or 10 years ago.

Sure we can still improve even more but I would say we've made some very large steps in the right direction when it comes to in-state recruiting.

This is the first post I've seen where the poster wants to give credit for the recruiting class of '07 to Tim Brewster, and not to Glen Mason.

This is the first post I've seen where the poster wants to give credit for the recruiting class of '07 to Tim Brewster, and not to Glen Mason.

It depends on when they committed I guess, whether before the change or after, and if before, they did not reneg on their commitment which is a credit to Brewster. Also, Since Brew came, Carufel and Royston have returned. Something to think about.

Consider "ourselves":D aside, Jim Sorgi, Brooks Bollinger and Darell Bevell selected a schools based on whether it could get THEM in the NFL? :eek: NONE of those guys were stupid enough to think they were going to play on Sundays. God bless them for getting there, but please! Sorgi and Bollinger are both on record as saying they were more then a little miffed that Mason didn't make much, if any, effort and signing them. Playing for Minnesota, not exactly known for sending QBs on, was on their minds.

They ended-up going to the Badgers for a lot of good reasons, thinking they were NFL stars in the making probably was way, way down the list if it was there at ball.

"ourselves", now that's rich!:cool:

troll alert!

Lucky in what sense? He told anybody who would listen early and often, he was not interested in going anywhere else. Because of his dad, his dream was to wear The "M". He told Wisconsin to stop calling early on. You were either not paying attention or a troll. I'm going with troll. By the way, How is John Stocco's NFL career going these days? I'm sure he loves playing football in Italy. Funny how he got left off that list...since he went to that factory of Pro QB's you seem to think of Wis as.

Top Bottom